I didn't dare get in line for Ben's Chili Bowl. It is so well-positioned that I think so many fans will jam it. It is like trying to get a Philly cheesesteak at Citizen's Bank Park, in Philadelphia - if you get in line for it, you're going to miss some innings.

The lines for Red Hot & Blue, etc. on the concourse in left were a mess, but here's a hint: Noah's Pretzel's serves Ben's half smokes. Once we got through the throngs waiting in line for BBQ and Boardwalk fries there were maybe a dozen people in line for Noah's. We only went there for the gluten-free pretzels for my wife (and gluten-free beer, a nice surprise!). I don't know how long that will last, but I'm guessing that it will normally be a better option than the Ben's stand proper.

The Red Porch and upstairs bar look like a great place to kill time before the first pitch, especially in this weather.

EDIT: a friend tells me that you can get a half-smoke with the works at all of the Nats Dogs stands around the stadium as well (there are a few of them). If that is all you are looking for from the Ben's stand no need to wait out the hordes.

• Like 1

It was a grand game. We are part of a season ticket group, and were lucky enough to have got tickets for the exhibition game saturday night -- it allowed us to get acclimated to the park. We did not get tickets to opening day as part of our group.

On a whim, we decided to try to get $5 grand stand tickets, but by the time we got down to the park at 2.30 pm, the line was really long. While one of us waited in the $5 line, the other went over to a ticket kiosk, and low and behold, we were able to get really great tickets, 6 rows from the field. Presumably, they had been holding these for last minute season ticket purchases, and dumped them last minute. We were very happy.

As for our two day/night food ritual:

For the exhibition game, no luck going to Ben's, but lots of luck going to Cantina Marina's -- short lines -- good fish tacos (very peppercorni) and cajun corn dogs. Also, despite the cold, a really good chocolate milkshake from Giffords. Decent veggie burgers from grand slam grill.

Today, once we got in, we went straight to Ben's -- for good as always veggie chili and a turkey dog. Later back to Cantina Maria's for another cajun corn dog, good blackened crab cake sandwich, and REALLY GOOD FRIES -- spicy an crispy. And best of all, again no lines. We also planted ourselves early at the Red Loft bar for a couple B's and people watching.

Beer lines and choices could be a bit better, but will probably be fine as the season progresses (i miss dominion).

A game-winning, walk-off home-run on opening day, and nobody posts?!

All I needed was time ;) I may fall asleep with this big smile on my face.

A Hollywood ending, that Hollywood would reject as preposterous if handed to them. I'm proud to say that I actually called that one, I told my guest, "Zim loves these situations, he might just hit it out."

No, I couldn't believe it when it actually happened.

I also called the Chipper Jones homer, damnit all. I said to my friend, "He never had trouble hitting home runs at R.F.K., watch, he'll probably do it here." Wish I'd been wrong on that one.

I didn't try any new food items this time, just a hot dog, some fries and a couple of Cokes.

I DID try the hot chocolate at Giffords. It wasn't terribly hot, but it did come with whipped cream on top. Tasted okay to me on a cold night.

I noticed several draught beer options on the Mezzanine, including Blue Moon, Leinenkugel wheat, Stella Artois, Bass Ale "Home Run Ale" (Leinenkugel again?) among others.

Still no hot dog vendors in the stands.

a friend tells me that you can get a half-smoke with the works at all of the Nats Dogs stands around the stadium as well (there are a few of them). If that is all you are looking for from the Ben's stand no need to wait out the hordes.
This is true, and invaluable information. The stadium is incredible - I think that the lower concourse food lines will continue to be very long for the first few weeks/months of the season, if only for the fact that it's the only councourse where you can walk around the entire stadium... On a side note, maybe we can set up some "on a whim" events this season for Dr.com members who are going to a game?

A friend tells me that you can get a half-smoke with the works at all of the Nats Dogs stands around the stadium as well (there are a few of them). If that is all you are looking for from the Ben's stand no need to wait out the hordes.
Unfortunately, at least where we were (section 419) the Nats Dogs stands had NO @#$%^ CHILI for the half smokes ;) (which we were told by the concessions staff was because the delivery truck couldn't get past the increased security). On the other hand, it only took about 5 minutes in line to get said chili-free half-smoke.

The game last night was AWESOME! I am a native Yankees fan, but I have become a big Nats fan over the past three years since they cross paths about once in a blue moon. Zimmerman (Go Wahoos!) finally hit a game winning home run which didn't upset me (he did it against the Yankees on Father's Day a few years ago and I wasn't very happy).

The stadium is beautiful and, to be honest, we had no problems at all with the Metro from Vienna. Yeah, it is crowded, but we never waited more than two minutes for a train and always got a seat. And, the 500 feet or so walk from Navy Yard to the stadium is great. The only problem that I had was with the size of the seats. I was in section 117 (face value $50) and the seats were tiny and I am not that big of a guy. I have been to almost every stadium in the country and most spring training stadiums and these really seemed like the smallest seats I have ever sat in. It may be because I had 100 layers of clothing on me, but it seemed cramped.

As far as the food is concerned, our choice was solely based on the length of the line, and Cantina Marina was the winner! Shared a orn dog, gumbo and crabcake sandwich with my dad. I loved the corn dog, but that was also the first thing that I ate and I was starving, so I am not sure if it was an unbiased opinion. The crabcake and gumbo were pretty good too. So, while the lines were enormous, the concession options simply cannot be beat, as they work out the kinks and it gets less hectic, it will be an awesome place to eat.

Finally, in what was probably my 500th professional baseball game, I got my second foul ball off the bat of Chipper Jones in the top of the 6th. I could tell that it was about four seats to the left of me, and there was no way that I could have caught it over the 15 people trying to get it, so I stayed low and waited for them to drop it. Just a great cap on a wonderful night.

On a whim, we decided to try to get $5 grand stand tickets, but by the time we got down to the park at 2.30 pm, the line was really long. While one of us waited in the $5 line, the other went over to a ticket kiosk, and low and behold, we were able to get really great tickets, 6 rows from the field. Presumably, they had been holding these for last minute season ticket purchases, and dumped them last minute. We were very happy.

Do you have any more info on these $5 tickets?? Thanks!

Do you have any more info on these $5 tickets?? Thanks!

Sections 401 & 402 are reserved for day-of-game sales at the stadium ticket windows. All seats in these sections are $5.00 apiece. The six-rows-from-the-field seats Diannesh got would not have been $5.00 tickets (unless something went horribly wrong with the ticketing system).

Food I ate, in order of goodness (most good to least good):

1) Hazelnut Chocolate gelato

2)Swiss Chocolate milkshake from Gifford's ("You're not waiting for hot chocolate? Step right up to the front of the line, sir!" ;) )

3) Potato & garlic knish from Kosher Sports

3) Hard Times wings (line was long but moved very quickly)

4) Ben's 1/2 smoke (not from the Ben's stand, but said it was a "Ben's" on the menu board. Not as piping hot as it could have been, and "all-the-way" was a bit too much of a gloppy mess for me.)

If you sit between sections 100 and about 110 you might as well accept that you will be inhaling Boardwalk fries at some point in the game. I'd say about 2/3rds of the people in my immediate section enjoyed a cup full at some point during the game last night. The line at the stand moved at a decent pace during the 5th inning (there were still long lines everywhere). There were only two food options at the Boardwalk stand: a smallish fries for $5 or chicken tenders and fries for $9.50. The fries were tasty and crisp until I doused them in vinegar ;) yummmm

My food choices, too, were entirely based on length of line. Had a grilled chicken sandwich, which was very dry, but probably less bad for me than a hot dog. I thought the onion- and relish-vending machines were a grand idea, even though all of them were out of onions. They are small stainless steel cylinders on the condiment stations. One turns a handle, and relish or onions are dispensed.

At the bottom of the seventh, I went to stand in line at Nat's Dogs for a hot chocolate. There were maybe six or seventh people ahead of me in line. I waited. And waited. And waited. And then I was second in line and it was the bottom of the eighth and the Nats were up 2-1 and I abandoned ship to go watch the game from the concourse. After the Braves tied it up, I was able to sneak back into the now-empty line between innings and grab a couple of hot chocolates, which were horrid. Really horrid. Swiss Miss and hot water horrid. The Gifford's next door didn't have HC on their menu, but I'll have to look more carefully next time.

Also, we bought in-park peanuts (which at RFK we'd always get from the street vendors). Dunno if peanuts are fresher at the beginning of the season or what, but they were very good -- much roastier than the ones we'd get at RFK.

Okay, help me out here.

I go to Ben's pretty regularly with my buddy with whom I go to baseball games all summer. He's been eating at Ben's since the Senators left town.

He said he had a chili burger from the stadium and pronounced it "Ben's in name only". Claims that it's "Aramark with the Ben's name".

Now not having tasted it myself, I'm curious.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Okay, help me out here.

I go to Ben's pretty regularly with my buddy with whom I go to baseball games all summer. He's been eating at Ben's since the Senators left town.

He said he had a chili burger from the stadium and pronounced it "Ben's in name only". Claims that it's "Aramark with the Ben's name".

Now not having tasted it myself, I'm curious.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Since Aramark no longer has the concessions contract for the Nationals, it's not Aramark with the Ben's name. I believe that Bens uses the same source for their burgers and chili at both locations. I haven't had the burger, but the half smokes are the same as always...

Nice Post account of food choices and experiences today: Step up to the plate

The vendors had two choices when going into National's Park. Either have the concessionaire run it, Centerplate, and get 30% of sales back or run it yourself and have the park take 30% plus D.C. take 10%. Ben's and Red Hot & Blue are having Centerplate run their booths. Hard Times is running their own. If some of the food is not up to the quality at the restaurants then it is probably due to the people running it not having a vested interest in a quality product. Hard Times, and many others, didn't want other's running our site.

Just to be fair for disclosure.....I am a Hard Times Cafe franchisee but have nothing to do with the stadium location.

Randy

Okay, so he was way off about the Aramark, but not totally on Mars about it not being actually run by Ben's (the same source said "I think the Hard Times and Five Guys is real", by the way, so the difference is apparently not lost on the public.)

Good to know, good to know. I'd still rather support local businesses when I can.

The vendors had two choices when going into National's Park. Either have the concessionaire run it, Centerplate, and get 30% of sales back or run it yourself and have the park take 30% plus D.C. take 10%. Ben's and Red Hot & Blue are having Centerplate run their booths. Hard Times is running their own. If some of the food is not up to the quality at the restaurants then it is probably due to the people running it not having a vested interest in a quality product. Hard Times, and many others, didn't want other's running our site.

Just to be fair for disclosure.....I am a Hard Times Cafe franchisee but have nothing to do with the stadium location.

Randy

They may not be running the stand but I did see one of the Ali brothers (owners of Ben's) behind a concession stand checking in on things opening night.

Folks aren't that interested in what is going on in the field?
Piffle. Ballpark food is part of the experience and always has been. "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" was written a hundred years ago, and guess what? It talks about going to the ballpark and getting food. There have been many, many articles over the years devoted to which ballparks have the best food. Maybe it's because the pacing of the game lends itself to relaxing and having a bite. Maybe it's some sort of strange carryover from cricket, where they're just as food-obsessed if not more - heck, they stop the matches for tea and dinner. At any rate, if you choose not to go to the games, or not to eat while you're there, feel free not to do so.

"Take Me Out to the Ball Game" was written a hundred years ago, and guess what? It talks about going to the ballpark and getting food.

I have attended many baseball games over the years, from semi-pro to single A to pro. Yesterday, however, at Camden Yards, was the first time I have ever NOT heard Take Me Out to the Ball Game sung at the 7th inning stretch. Apparently they have dropped it from the repertoire. I was very sad.

Piffle. Ballpark food is part of the experience and always has been. "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" was written a hundred years ago, and guess what? It talks about going to the ballpark and getting food. There have been many, many articles over the years devoted to which ballparks have the best food. Maybe it's because the pacing of the game lends itself to relaxing and having a bite. Maybe it's some sort of strange carryover from cricket, where they're just as food-obsessed if not more - heck, they stop the matches for tea and dinner. At any rate, if you choose not to go to the games, or not to eat while you're there, feel free not to do so.

Well, to be completely parochial about it, peanuts, CrackerJacks and hot dogs should be the only foods allowed.

Could someone please explain to me the obsession about eating at a baseball park?

Grilled Dodger Dogs with French's Yellow Mustard and Peanuts from Roger the Peanut Guy thrown across 25 rows of seats into your hands so softly that even I can catch them! Dang! The first time Roger sold me peanuts a double bag was $.25!

Grilled Dodger Dogs with French's Yellow Mustard and Peanuts from Roger the Peanut Guy thrown across 25 rows of seats into your hands so softly that even I can catch them! Dang! The first time Roger sold me peanuts a double bag was $.25!

Oh, yeah! The good ol' days at Shabbos Ravine =;-D

Oh, yeah! The good ol' days at Shabbos Ravine =;-D
With Reb Koulfax and the dreaded Juan Marichal. The best 1 hour and 18 minutes of my baseball past was a 1-0 game with Wills bunting a leadoff single, an SB followed by a ground out and an SF to get him home.

Could someone please explain to me the obsession about eating at a baseball park?

My dad took me to Comiskey Park every summer. To this day, there is nothing that can make me as profoundly, fundamentally happy as that shocking first glimpse of the green of the field, followed by the taste of a hot dog and peanuts. For me, this culmination of sensation has always represented to me a deep, very personal happiness--a reminder of days when Harold Baines was the best player I could ever hope to see and when the White Sox always had a shot.

Says Tom Boswell, "Time goes fast counted in decades, but, mercifully, passes quite slowly when gauged by summer evenings in a ballpark."

Indeed. For me, all it takes is a hot dog, a sly hit, and an appreciative companion to take a sabbatical from my life and become one with the boys of summer. And it just doesn't work without a hot dog!

We went last night. Staff is still getting up to speed so it took a while to get anything! Everything is expensive-players need to make their millions. Ben's half smoked was the best item we tried but there are many choices. The brisket from RHB wasn't bad but at $10 a one time experience. Beer selection is good with quality drafts-Pilsner Urquell, etc. Wine choices are poor and, again, at $8.50 to be avoided. You can bring your own food and a liter of water per person-the way to go. They had a pasta station set up in the club area for $15 a serving-not much business. Overall, it's a nice park and the sitelines are good just about everywhere; our seats were padded and very comfortable. The Nats, however, need a 101 class in fielding. Take the metro-very easy and well organized last night albeit with a half full house.

To this day, there is nothing that can make me as profoundly, fundamentally happy as that shocking first glimpse of the green of the field, followed by the taste of a hot dog and peanuts. For me, this culmination of sensation has always represented to me a deep, very personal happiness--

Says Tom Boswell, "Time goes fast counted in decades, but, mercifully, passes quite slowly when gauged by summer evenings in a ballpark."

Indeed. For me, all it takes is a hot dog, a sly hit, and an appreciative companion to take a sabbatical from my life and become one with the boys of summer. And it just doesn't work without a hot dog!

I couldn't have put it better myself. Other than apple pies and Chevrolet's (c'mon, you all know the jingle...) there's nothing more typically American than baseball and hot dogs.

As someone who attends more professional baseball games in a season than any reasonable person ought to, I can say that I'm grateful for better and expanded food options because more often than not, this is my DINNER, not just a gametime snack.. I go right from work to the ballpark. If I decided to wait to eat at home after the games, I might be eating dinner at midnight or later.

Tonight, I tried the Nachos by the first base gate. They were out of ground beef, so I had them with steak. Not bad at all.

The Ben's Half-Smoke "All the way" went down so quickly, I can't truly do it justice. My gosh, that's a great addition this year!

Oh, and on Monday and today, I noticed that they FINALLY had hotdog vendors in the stands. Hooray!

Word. And me, I require a certain amount of vegetable matter for survival. At RFK, if you wanted a vegetable, it was either a sausage with peppers & onions, or something with a side of slaw from red hot & blue. If I'm eating there three nights out of some weeks, I can now get a salad.

Last night. No breakfast, no lunch. Arrived at ballpark top of 3rd inning. Immediately went to Hard Times stand and greedily ordered Chili Mac and nachos. Had to request a slice of cornbread, which they should have just offered to me in the first place, the only minor annoyance.

As I was standing in line, Ronnie Belliard's home run landed aprox. 50 feet to my right. I heard the crowd and saw it descend into the stands, a fun moment.

The Hard Times nachos are by far the better of the two nacho orders that I've had so far. The chili mac is an old favorite, a seriously good meal unto itself. I could order that every time and never get tired of it.

Grabbing a Ben's half smoke wit in the regular hot dog stand line is a great trick. Thinking you are grabbing a draft beer in the line that advertizes Sierra, Yuengling, Beck's, Hook n Ladder, etc is not as those are available only by the bottle.... Boo. Great park though, surprisingly easy to get to and fro and, an unsuprisingly dramatic upgrade over RFK.

Attended the game yesterday. It's my opinion that the ballpark is fantastic. Lots of amenities, but not over the top, so baseball is still the focus. I found there to be lots of places where you can watch live action while purchasing or eating your food. Some food lines are long and others are not, so it seems to be combination of fans not knowing where to purchase food and facility staff not directing fans to other (and often nearby) food stations. There are a lot of food options though and obviously I haven't tried many. Yesterday I went with the kosher hot dog (hit the spot) and later split some chili cheese fries from Ben's Chili Bowl (I didn't notice a difference from the original). Plenty of beer options for a ballpark. I wish the roaming beer guys would have the beer cooler (at least the Bud Light guy who visited my section). All and all, a great place to watch a ballgame, or ride out a rain delay.

Attended Sunday's win against the Braves (FINALLY!), only the 2nd home win in the new park.

Tried the Phillie Cheese Steak from "Steak of the Nation" (located in right-center field).

Meh.

Not BAD, but nothing special. I don't need to get another one.

Gifford's hot chocolate hit the spot on a day that was a HELLUVA lot colder than the weather folks said that it would be. 60 at game time, my patoot, I don't think that it ever got out of the 40's.

I almost wish I had never heard this:

"[Frank Ruta] entertained dreams of selling [hot] dogs, and his celebrated truffled cheeseburger, at the Nats' new stadium, though he says he didn't press his case hard enough with team ownership." -- 4.18.08 City Paper

I'm actually glad he didn't follow through. Not because his haute ballpark fare wouldn't have been fantastic, but because his stand would have almost certainly been sequestered in the club level and unavailable to those of us with regular folks' seats. That would have been torture.

Well, if last night's game is any indication, you can take your time having a multi course meal, and then, best of all, you will suddenly lose all of that caloric intake as the last pitcher blows the whole thing in a 1/2 inning debacle that doesn't even approach the effort of a decent high school team.
Now, now. We may have a new stadium and all, but the team ain't quite there yet; no need to lose sleep or dinner over it.

I don't suppose I dare ask from which exit point. ;)

Well, for me, last night, it was all possible evacuation methods. I am thinking of doing a infomercial called, "Lose weight with the Nats!"

As someone who decided to change his allegiance after 25 years, I have to say, I might have picked the wrong team (though I kind of knew that going in-so, once again, I should have thought it out a bit more. But, happily, I like my seat partner so it's worth it).

Now, now. We may have a new stadium and all, but the team ain't quite there yet; no need to lose sleep or dinner over it.

I think they should bring back Ed Brinkman to bat cleanup.

(I used to love the slugfests between him and Mark Belanger when they played the Orioles.)