Oh, the irony...(Don, non-food rant, please delete if you find in inappropriate.)

No need - I'm *almost* old enough to agree with you. However, waiting in line for food is baseball's equivalent of tailgating, and besides, the game post-Curt Flood has been ruined anyway, but then steroids loused *everything* up. You think Mussina will go in as an Oriole or a Yankee when he goes? (And to all, it's a question of "when" and not "if.")

You are allowed to bring food into the park, but not liquids except one sealed bottle of water. I have a friend who makes an entire package of hot dogs before every game he attends and individually wraps each in foil. Best ballpark food there is. But if you wanted something fancier, there's no reason you couldn't bring a wrapped sandwich from somewhere, like TakEatEasy. Just ask them to wrap it instead of box it and you're golden.

Moose will go in as a Yankee. It's taken me 15 years, but I'm OK with that.

I go to about 20 games a season and rarely eat in the Park. Maybe the occasional hot dog, nachos or Frito pie from Hard Times. Try to eat somewhere before games and concentrate on baseball and beer. Tonight I'll be slurping down ramen at Toki a couple hours before first pitch :D

We were at the game last night. It was dollar dog night.

I like hot dogs, so I decided to have dogs since they were reasonably priced. Now, I know it was cold last night, so the dogs probably got cold as we were walking back to the seats. But I'm really not sure about that. They were cold right to the middle. I don't think they were ever heated.

No more Nats dogs. Well, at least not until I forget about this.

Perhaps I should have consulted the concession map before I bought our tickets for Wed. I will have to navigate the little guy past cotton candy, gelato and dipping dots.

I'm not going to stress about missing part of or even a whole inning for an outing to Shake Shack or Blue Smoke. We had season tickets in 05 and partial package in 06. As much as I love baseball (and there were bobbleheads of Fredbird and Mr. Met at my wedding...), I don't want to be so invested in the game that we miss the experience. We'll record it so we can watch the highlights later.

Go Cards!

I've found very few areas in that park where you're condemned to missing any of the action if you're not in your assigned seat. If you're standing in a concession line, there is usually at least one TV witihin viewing distance. They also pipe the radio play-by-play into the rest rooms.

Well, when I was a "little guy" the "experience" was the actual game, at RFK Stadium, nee (can not figure out how to get the accent aigu) DC Stadium (not quite old enough to claim to have been at Griffith Stadium). We would maybe get a hot dog, or peanuts, or, heaven forbid, something resembling fresh-spun cotton candy, from the vendors that would come down the aisles. Your desire to stand in a line at Shake Shack or whereever while missing potentially significant action, along with 25,000 others like you (and, believe it or not, this is not a personal attack on you) makes me wonder if this will ever (or ever again) be a real baseball town. I guess I am officially an old curmudgeon for raising this issue. At least you are a Cards' fan, which gives me hope for Nats' fans everywhere. I also guess that I am very thankful that my college-aged son appreciates the game like I do, and is not in it for the "experience" that you infer. I realize, of course, that he may have to veer in that direction if he is ever to get a real date. Oh, the irony...(Don, non-food rant, please delete if you find in inappropriate.)

I'm not a real "fan" of baseball, but this is not a baseball discussion forum. This thread in fact is all about eating at the stadium, not watching the game. When you were a little guy, there was no HDTV. Now, if I want to watch sports, I stay home.

My grandfather came over from Russia just before WWI. His English became proficient listening to Cardinals and Browns games on the radio. My father grew up in Utah, as a Cardinals fan because until the Dodgers moved West, the Cardinals were the Westernmost team and were broadcast to his little hometown. My mother's earliest dreams were to be a sports writer until she had to leave school when her father got sick. I grew up in a house where Jack Buck's voice was present 162 days a year. During the 1982 World Series we watched the tv with muted sound and the radio on to KMOX. We went to one game a year as a family and my mother and I would go to one or more "Ladies Day" day games each summer. Baseball was the foundational fabric of my childhood.

My mother died when I was 15, in 1985, and my father two years later. I moved to DC in 1988. A baseball-free town. And went to a baseball-free college. I learned to like the Orioles (after all they are the St. Louis Browns...) I fell into a fantasy ball league in 1992 and won. And won again in 1997. Twice really because that was the year Mr. BLB joined and we met. (Even if he is a Mets fan.) And then won again in 2010 and 11. We spent part of our wedding present money on season tickets when the Nats came in 2005. Now I buy players with Z's in the names in honor of my little guy, who danced and soaked up the atmosphere at the stadium today and cried when the foul ball landed 3 rows in front of us. Oh, and the Cardinals won. I take very seriously my responsibility to raise the next generation of baseball fan. He got to see Strasburg pitch and Harper bat and was more than a little sad that David Freese didn't play today. I hope he remembers that someday in the way I remember watching Pete Rose play and knowing that was a big deal. Or turning on the tv to see Tom Seaver pitch a no-hitter. And that maybe he'll someday get the story about the excitement that pulsed through our wedding reception when Tom Glavine took a no-hitter into the 7th before giving up a hit.

As for food-- the bologna sandwich at Blue Smoke was not as good as I remembered from September. The fried chicken sandwich was excellent, at least the two bites I was allowed were. The fries and beans were pedestrian. The gelato from Dolci was expensive but good. I don't know how well it would hold up on a hotter day though.

It was a good day.

It was a good day.

Next time say hi. For me, today was good mostly thanks to perfect weather. ;)

I was also raised to be a baseball fan and I'm of like mind as jbag57. But have to respectfully disagree with blb on affiliation. The Reds are my team (will be at Nats Park a bit this weekend so hoping for weather like we had today) so the Cardinals...well...they aren't. And, with the Nats an adopted team, all the more reason for me not to be a Cards fan. All said, I respect the Cardinals and would take them over the Yankees any day. Cards greats like Brock, Gibson, Musial and Ozzie Smith are players everyone who loves the game should admire.

The shwarma at Max's today was excellent. Love those guys. Noone else like 'em at the park.

A bit off topic but raise your hand if you've seen "42" and enjoyed it. Such an important baseball story that entirely transcends baseball. :D

• Like 1

A bit off topic but raise your hand if you've seen "42" and enjoyed it. Such an important baseball story that entirely transcends baseball. :D

I haven't seen it yet, but judging by his absence on the casting list, per usual they completely neglect Larry Doby. Many Indians fans such as myself thought Cleveland should have worn 14 on their jerseys last week.

On point, I this may just be my imagination, but I remember more vendors coming down the aisles with a greater variety of food when I was growing up. These days I only remember seeing beer, soda, hot dogs and peanuts.

On point, I this may just be my imagination, but I remember more vendors coming down the aisles with a greater variety of food when I was growing up. These days I only remember seeing beer, soda, hot dogs and peanuts.

Funny you should mention this. At the game Tuesday evening my father and I noticed an 'old school' style hot dog vendor in our section. By this I mean a vendor who has the dogs in hot water and adds them to the bun individually per sale and hands to you in wax paper with however many mustard, relish and ketchup packets you'd like (the alternative being foil wrapped dogs put together in the kitchen and sold that way). Haven't seen that in ages, nice touch.

There probably aren't too many hot dog/pretzel/ice cream/peanut guys in the aisles because the profit level is low and everyone wants to sell (and buy) beer. You see more food in the aisles after beer sales end in the 8th.

Has anyone done in the in-seat ordering?

Yes, both this season and last September. This year, Dasdak's menu seems easier to navigate. After setting up and account, it is easy to order.

Despite installing Comcast WiFi, the connectivity isn't solid throughout the park.

I had high hopes that Dasdak had improved when, during the exposition game with the Yankees, my cheesesteak arrived on a baguette. The next week, the standard soft roll was back.

They even deliver beer, but could use some handling/pouring training [frothy, frothy]. An added bonus is that the items now arrive in a lunch bag with napkins [don't have to specifcally order napkins anymore].

This reminds me, I need dinner from Max's tonight.

This home stand, the Red Porch has (left to right): Ommegang Hennepin, Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Ale, Nevada Sierra Kellerweis, Abita Purple Haze, Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout, Allagash White, Yuengling Lager, Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale & 60 Minute IPA, Starr Hill Jomo Lager, Blue Moon, Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA & Under Dog Atlantic Lager.

post-226-0-39623000-1369434460_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

A nice day at the park this afternoon with perfect weather and a win. The food choices were turkey and chutney (no bread for the celiac) from the Carvery, and Mr. lperry thought the roasted turkey was "really good." High praise from someone who usually says something along the lines of, "it was OK." I had the veggie burger from the South Capitol Grill. The fries were uniformly soggy (why do they use those waxed containers that make them sweat?), but the burger was decent with a slice of what seemed to be cheddar or a reasonable facsimile, some spicy BBQ sauce (they were heavy handed so I scraped some off), nice green-leaf lettuce, and a typically anemic tomato. I didn't eat much of the bread, but I think it was a potato-type roll. It was more food than I could eat, but it was significantly better than some of the other veg-friendly choices. Also, the sweet potato fries from the Anacostia Station are really crispy and good if you manage to get them right out of the fryer.

To clarify (because for some reason I can't seem to edit above) if you take some already purchased $1 hot dogs to another kiosk and ask REAL nice, you will likely be able to get those dogs smothered in the chili and cheese of your liking. Offering a 'donation' to the counter kid will increase your chance of success.

To clarify (because for some reason I can't seem to edit above) if you take some already purchased $1 hot dogs to another kiosk and ask REAL nice, you will likely be able to get those dogs smothered in the chili and cheese of your liking. Offering a 'donation' to the counter kid will increase your chance of success.

Isn't it always thus?

Have been going to games pretty regularly this year and still think that Max's hot dogs and other offerings are close to the only food worth getting. Maybe a burger at Shakeshack or wings at Good Times (or whatever it's called) in a pinch (like Fri/Sat when Max's is closed).

The Nats are a different story. Absolutely maddening this season though this week/weekend...just maybe and with much hesitancy...I think they may finally be getting it together with the offense.

Per a tweet from Port City Brewing Co., starting tomorrow, the following local beers will be available at Nats Park: Optimal Wit, DC Brau The Public, 3 Stars Brewing Saison, Mad Fox Brewing The Kolsch.

It's located at the cusp of Sections 138/139. On day one, they were serving to an eager line of the faithful. After some expert help, the beer flowed.

Last night's "only four hours and seven minutes" of disappointing play was tempered by knowing District Drafts is now in the park. Perhaps the breweries can have some extra training for Levy Restaurants stand staff so they're knowledgeable about the beer.

post-226-0-03990600-1374411683_thumb.jpg

After two months, the 14-taps in the Red Porch have remain unchanged.

Was there Saturday night for the epic game. I had wings, fries and slaw from Blue Smoke. The wings were meaty and I liked the spicy sauce on them, although a bit messy to eat if you have to get up for people etc. I didn't have the blue cheese dressing, so no idea if it is good. The fries were good too. I liked that the slaw wasn't mayo based and really liked the flavor. All in all thought it was pretty darn good and much smaller line than Shake Shack had.

Pretty simple solution to getting drilled by a fastball next time, Bryce: wheel around and hit the catcher (who, if you watch the video, was going after Harper down the first-base line) with your bat, as hard as you can swing, right in his quadricep. It will be done "while in extreme pain," so will be completely excusable. What a bunch of low-class rednecks the Braves fans are for cheering at this.

And to stay on-topic, the Braves will be in town 9/16-9/18, so if any Nationals pitchers are still hungry at game time, there will be some bottom-feeding sea scum, ripe for the picking.

Or, if you're looking for more palatable options, click here:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ballpark/concessions/

It's one thing to encourage violence; another thing entirely to stand up for yourself when you're being bullied.

• Like 3

Pretty simple solution to getting drilled by a fastball next time, Bryce: wheel around and hit the catcher (who, if you watch the video, was going after Harper down the first-base line) with your bat, as hard as you can swing, right in his quadricep. It will be done "while in extreme pain," so will be completely excusable. What a bunch of low-class rednecks the Braves fans are for cheering at this.

And to stay on-topic, the Braves will be in town 9/16-9/18, so if any Nationals pitchers are still hungry at game time, there will be some bottom-feeding sea scum, ripe for the picking.

Or, if you're looking for more palatable options, click here:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ballpark/concessions/

It's one thing to encourage violence; another thing entirely to stand up for yourself when you're being bullied.

On a serious note, there are several real problems with this suggestion*.  On the other hand, highly entertaining stuff to be sure! :D

* Though, of course, agree totally with the closing line about standing up to bullies.

This home stand, the Red Porch has (left to right): Ommegang Hennepin, Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Ale, Nevada Sierra Kellerweis, Abita Purple Haze, Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout, Allagash White, Yuengling Lager, Leinenkugel Summer Shandy, Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale & 60 Minute IPA, Starr Hill Jomo Lager, Blue Moon, Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA & Under Dog Atlantic Lager.

Finally, there 's a change in the tap lineup in the Red Porch - the Flying Dog IPA has been replaced by Woody Creek Wit.  Rumors of Pumpkin Ale arriving soon.

Too bad -- Luvin' the Sam Adams seasonals in SEC 111

Gates open, weather pending. New line-up in the Red Porch from left to right:
New Belgium Snapshot Wheat, Terrapin Rye, Foothills People's Porter, Foothills Pilsner, Atlas Brew Works District Commons, Allagash White, Yuengling Lager, Leinie's Summer Shandy, Dogfish Head Namaste, Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Starr Hill Grateful Pale Ale, Blue Moon, Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA, and Flying Dog Old Scratch Amber Lager

We were able to walk around the Park and find the new offerings (craft brew stand in the concourse behind the President's Club, International Wok, G Sandwiches, Peet's at multiple coffee stands, and a few ecash-only lines). My fingers are crossed that Levy Restaurants corporate will be able train-up their staff/managers so they know the new products.

post-226-0-73331900-1396112428_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I thought the Beef Drunken Noodles ($12.00) I ordered from the Intentional Wok stand (on the first base side of the 200 level) was very good. It's served in a "traditional" white cardboad Chinese takeout-style container with chopsticks. The portion was large, although the staff were in "deer in the headlights-first day on the job" mode, so were probably not paying too much attention to portion control. The dish contained large chunks of passably tender beef, noodles of a decent texture, and sauce which was not gloppy. It was quite hot, due in part to the garnish of fresh jalapeno slices. I think the Hard Times Chili Mac at $9.75 is still the best overall food value at Nats Park, but the Beef Drunken Noodles have assumed the position of the tastiest thing I've had in that ballpark.  

• Like 1

For the time being, if you want to eat at G, be sure to get there early.  They were having trouble keeping up with demand an hour before the game started, and the next time I hit the concourse (fourth inning or so?), they had already closed up shop for the day.

My chicken parm was very good, though, and a halfway decent ballpark value at $13.  It's a substantial sandwich.

I had the Drewno on opening day, which was the only sandwich they had left at noon. The sandwich was good, but it looks like they need to scale up production. They mentioned that they are cooking items to order, which seems kind of crazy to me with the number of folks you are trying to serve.

• Like 1

When I went yesterday, I got to G just after the National Anthem, and they still had plenty of sandwiches and didn't say they were out of anything.  So they may have gotten production up to speed.

My roasted cauliflower sandwich was good, but not as fantastic as I'd heard they were -- don't know if that's due a difference between the quality at the park and at the restaurant, or if that's just the way it tastes.  I'll try the chicken parm or the Italian hero next time.

• Like 1

I thought the Beef Drunken Noodles ($12.00) I ordered from the Intentional Wok stand (on the first base side of the 200 level) was very good. It's served in a "traditional" white cardboad Chinese takeout-style container with chopsticks. The portion was large, although the staff were in "deer in the headlights-first day on the job" mode, so were probably not paying too much attention to portion control. The dish contained large chunks of passably tender beef, noodles of a decent texture, and sauce which was not gloppy. It was quite hot, due in part to the garnish of fresh jalapeno slices. I think the Hard Times Chili Mac at $9.75 is still the best overall food value at Nats Park, but the Beef Drunken Noodles have assumed the position of the tastiest thing I've had in that ballpark.  

Funny you should mention this. I too got the Beef Drunken Noodles on Opening Day. Maybe they still have to work the kinks out, but I can't see this kiosk succeeding considering almost every dish was made-to-order resulting in a very slow moving queue. You need to mass prepare this type of food if you're serving in a baseball stadium, plain and simple. Secondly, not only did they run out of chopsticks, but they didn't have any forks as backup! So after spending nearly half an hour waiting for noodles, I then had to walk around the concourse to find a fork. I couldn't find any after searching the four closest spots until I came across Box Frites, where they offered me a wooden utensil that's meant for stabbing fries. Needless to say, it was quite the challenge eating noodles with what was basically a wooden stick. The noodles themselves were pretty good, but the experience ordering/waiting for them while trying to find A SINGLE FORK was rather painful.

Sadly I know better than to eat at the during a game in the first series of the season. Huge crowds mean huge lines and overwhelmed/underprepared staff members. I'll check out G during a Marlins game ;)

The disappointing news that I can report, beer prices went up by $0.75-$1.00. Booooo! Will now set you back $9 for a 20oz aluminum bottle of Miller Lite/Coors Lite/etc. $9.75 for a 20oz Sam Adams draft (my go to). Still $10 for 16oz craft beer from the Red Porch. Better be making the playoffs at those prices.

• Like 1

The disappointing news that I can report, beer prices went up by $0.75-$1.00. Booooo! Will now set you back $9 for a 20oz aluminum bottle of Miller Lite/Coors Lite/etc. $9.75 for a 20oz Sam Adams draft (my go to). Still $10 for 16oz craft beer from the Red Porch. Better be making the playoffs at those prices.

This $1.00 increase hit the pre-game 'happy hour' at the Scoreboard Walk bar, too. The formerly $5 Miller Lite/Coors Lite (16 oz?) cans are now $6, up until the scheduled time of the first pitch.

I wish they'd make sauerkraut available at the Nats Dogs stands, but that's not likely to change.

I had the Drewno on opening day, which was the only sandwich they had left at noon. The sandwich was good, but it looks like they need to scale up production. They mentioned that they are cooking items to order, which seems kind of crazy to me with the number of folks you are trying to serve.

The Drewno was available in the 6th-7th inning on April 19th for the Saturday afternoon game with the Cards. It's as righteous as any ballpark samdwich I've had, although a bit salty, and defintely not made to order. As soon as we ordered it, it was handed to us in a wrapper....

When I went yesterday, I got to G just after the National Anthem, and they still had plenty of sandwiches and didn't say they were out of anything.  So they may have gotten production up to speed.

My roasted cauliflower sandwich was good, but not as fantastic as I'd heard they were -- don't know if that's due a difference between the quality at the park and at the restaurant, or if that's just the way it tastes.  I'll try the chicken parm or the Italian hero next time.

Production is definitely up to speed, but the irritating closing of everything at the 7th inning should be revisited. That Drewno is a serious ballpark sandwich, but the draft beer offerings at G must be ugraded.

I should mention that the Red Roof restaurant in left field is a despicably horrible palce to eat. What it lacks in quality, it makes up for with horrendous service and higher than stupid prices. Take an Applebee's and remove any semblance of cooking talent from the kitchen, double the prices, and you might have something as wretched as the Red Roof.

• Like 2

I should mention that the Red Roof restaurant in left field is a despicably horrible palce to eat. What it lacks in quality, it makes up for with horrendous service and higher than stupid prices. Take an Applebee's and remove any semblance of cooking talent from the kitchen, double the prices, and you might have something as wretched as the Red Roof.

Just for the sake of clarity, I'm assuming you're referring to the sit down restaurant portion of the Red Porch. Don't want to be a busy body editor, just want folks to be clear about your warning! :)

• Like 1

Blue Smoke has discontinued the fried bologna sandwiches "because they didn't sell well."

Ended up with the mexican place a few stalls down--steak burrito for the boy (which he loved) and a lousy box of nachos for me. Since our seats were on the other side of the stadium the boy was a bit peeved that I had dragged him all the way over there when we could have just gotten hotdogs anywhere....

I have to say (and this is from a season ticket holder their first season...), that aside from going to see my beloved Cards, I'm not sure I need to go to Nationals Park again.  It just doesn't work for me and somehow the team has lost its "umph" that it had that first magical season.  How sad is that I kind of miss RFK, lousy food and all???

How sad is that I kind of miss RFK, lousy food and all???

I've been to nearly every United home game for the last 19 seasons, and you are clearly on drugs if you miss RFK. Besides the rats, the food is beyond atrocious (none of it, and I mean NOTHING is edible), and no cheaper than Nationals Stadium. And they raised the parking price to $20 this season.

• Like 2

The pupusas at RFK are no longer coming directly off the griddle due to popularity but they are still delicious and a steal at $6.  An order of those and a modelo tallboy remains as good as it gets for a DC stadium dining experience.

Very rainy night tonight against the Dodgers....perfect for roaming the food offerings.

Red Porch remains absolutely awful. Along with a slightly palatable spinach and artichoke flatbread -- dripping in cheese grease -- and flaccid wings, the crush of the crowd trying to get out of the rain made the overall experience about as horrible as any I've had there in the past.

The main concourse was very tempting with the aromas of sausages and other grilling or steaming meats. I settled for a Steak of the Union cheese steak, and that was a bad move. If you rate the cheese steak on a scale of 1 to 10, with the best ever gas station cheese steak in north Delaware rating a 9 or a 10 and Pat's and Geno's down around 2 or 3, then this one was a good negative 5 or so. Yuk.

Went to the Saturday blow-out against the Rangers. Daunted by the long lines at Ben's, Chesapeake Crabcake, etc, opted for chili nachos at the Hard Times behind section 116. What a mistake. Chili was flavorless and, excuse me, but who the hell puts cold, shredded cheese on nachos? Never again. 

We had the cauliflower and Drewno sandwiches at the G stall tonight.  The cauliflower was good but not top notch......maybe I'm just not a vegetarian sandwich kind of guy.  But that Drewno----man, I'd be hard pressed to think of a better item I've had at a ballpark.  A mashup of homemade kielbasa, roast beef, sauerkraut and some other vegetables, including onions.  Really a great sandwich. Pricey at $14 but if you don't mind the cost....this is a sandwich you're likely to enjoy.

Of course, the taste might have been just a bit better since the Nats won convincingly against the rival Braves tonight.

• Like 2

I can attest that G's Italian Hero is much the best food I've ever eaten at a ballpark--admittedly a rather limited experience. I got there early, like everybody else who wanted a Jayson Werth garden gnome, and found no lines a the G Sandwich spot near my seat and a pre-made sandwich. Pricey at $14, but not much more than is charged at the restaurant on 14th St., although I can't compare since I've not had one at the resto. Also, I only ate half of it in the park and brought the other half home, which I ate late last night. It held up well throughout all of that. I could easily see two people sharing this--unless you are a teenaged boy going through a growth spurt.

Now, I just want to know who thought Dippin' Dots were a good idea?