DonRocks

Pizzeria Orso, S. Maple Ave. in Falls Church - Chef Carlos Diaz Steps In For Will Artley, With GM Sara Barrera

3 hours ago, Law Taco said:

Our family has been going to Orso since it opened, and have followed all of its ups and downs (but mostly ups).  We used to drive to Two Amy's once every couple of months, but haven't been since Orso opened.  We have enjoyed several great meals here. 

Saturday night it was just me at the bar with a Crudo (tomato, basil, mozzarella, prosciutto, arugula) and a pint of Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager.  The pizza was cooked with a nice chewy crispness all the way to the center with good char along the edges. All of the toppings were tasty. It may be me, but I think the dough is less sour than when they opened.  I preferred the original. I still wish they had a better selection of beer on draft.

When Edan was there, I don't think he used sour dough.  Will Artley later introduced the sour dough.  

• Like 1

Every time we leave here I say (usually aloud, it's annoying), "This food is really good."

Just shared some pizzas. The DOC is consistently great and pleasingly came uncut this time.  The pepperoni is even better.

The reasonably priced and varied kids menu is a plus.

We've had the same server a couple times now and I really need to get his name. Efficient and friendly.

It's a treat to have such high quality pizza in such a low maintenance environment.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2016 at 3:55 PM, saxdrop said:

- Pizza tasted yeastier than most other places. Did the crust have a slightly higher rise, or was it my imagination? Either way, I didn't find whatever it was preferable, but it also wasn't offensive. I think the pizza was still squarely within the VPN margin of tolerance.

Orso made #6 on Carman's margherita run down

...and feeling slightly validated that I wasn;t imagining things:

"Crust: The first thing you’ll notice about the crust is its tang, courtesy of a sourdough starter used by Bertrand Chemel, a French chef trained in the ways of Italian pizza. Yes, a starter is allowed under the formal rules for margherita pizza."

15 hours ago, pizza man said:

I have used sourdough, ischia and calmoldi specifically, for my pizza ever since leaving 2amys. 

Where are you now? Still at Sweet Pea’s?

1 hour ago, pizza man said:

Bouncing around mdi

What with all the construction we didn't make it to SP's this summer - hope to have some excellent pizze etc at a place of yours next summer!

2 hours ago, pizza man said:

Bouncing around mdi

Hope you guys are well -- please let us know when you set up shop elsewhere.

This is a hard post to know how to write, as I don't expect restaurant employees to be super smiley and chipper. Some just naturally are; others aren't. Some staff I find too friendly. After having not been to Orso for quite a while,  I found lunch here to be depressing. The employees seemed universally unhappy (or maybe it was gloomy).  The thing is, it wasn't really them individually. It was the whole vibe. It took a while for anyone to notice us to seat us. Our server (who, at that point, seemed to be the only person working the floor), eventually came over. Given that he was taking orders and dealing with occupied tables it was probably an understandable delay. He was also the bartender.  He provided polite service that was fine.  Eventually someone else came along and started helping with the tables.

We got a fungi pizza, which had a decent char but toppings applied rather unevenly.  Some parts were clumpy and others vacant. There were pieces of Fontina that didn't seem to have melted much at all. It arrived pre-sliced without our asking.  I liked the mushrooms, but (honestly, and I can't believe I'm typing this) the last slices of mushroom pizza I got from We the Pizza were better constructed and tasted better.

We also got fried calamari, which was excessively oily. The rings on top had drained off enough that they weren't too bad, but it took some effort to try to blot off enough oil from the lower pieces to make them reasonably dry.  They weren't bad enough to send back but disappointing. When we couldn't decide on a dipping sauce, our server offered to bring us some of both, which was helpful. My husband preferred the  marinara, and I think I liked the basil aioli more. These were good for dipping the pizza bones into as well.  The server also brought us an amuse bouche of what seemed to be small deep-fried breadsticks with olive oil and Parmesan, but it was hard to hear what he was saying and I didn't ask for clarification.

This was the first weekday lunch date my husband and I have had in about a year, and it was just kind of depressing.  The food was okay, and maybe it's better at night when things are busier. The times I've been here have only been for lunch, and it usually is a bit quiet, but if there hadn't been one fairly large table that was a bit loud, it would have felt like a funeral.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Pat  That sounds terrible.  If I’ve been there for lunch it was some years ago. I don’t recall.  But I’ve found Orso to always be good if not as spectacular as several years ago.  I still go there a couple of times a year.  The pizza’s have never been as you described and sometimes, though less frequently than in the past, extraordinary.  

I’ll continue to return in evenings but that is a terrible warning about lunch. It doesn’t sound like the B team, more like the D or F team.

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

@Pat  That sounds terrible.  If I’ve been there for lunch it was some years ago. I don’t recall.  But I’ve found Orso to always be good if not as spectacular as several years ago.  I still go there a couple of times a year.  The pizza’s have never been as you described and sometimes, though less frequently than in the past, extraordinary.  

I’ll continue to return in evenings but that is a terrible warning about lunch. It doesn’t sound like the B team, more like the D or F team.

The thing is, I don't really know it was "the team."  I'm not sure I can explain it correctly, but something was just off.  The food, as mediocre as my comments might sound, wasn't the thing that left me feeling that if I was back in the area again, I'd find someplace else to go for lunch.  I don't want to bash the place, though I'm sure it sounds like that's what I'm doing, so I'll shut up now.

5 minutes ago, Pat said:

I don't want to bash the place, though I'm sure it sounds like that's what I'm doing, so I'll shut up now.

It doesn't sound like that at all, and you, of all people, are about the most cautious poster in this entire community - so, if you sensed a funeral home-ish vibe, there was probably a funeral home-ish vibe.

I'm a regular there, but always for Saturday dinner.  During those times, it is high energy and service and food are really good.  Four years ago, I had a group lunch there.  All was good.  Also around that timeframe, I've had lunch there a few times and it was more sedate but nothing I would notice that would reflect poorly.  I haven't been there for lunch in recent years, but I would urge you to give it another try.  Hopefully, that time was just a bad fluke.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 8:43 PM, Pat said:

eEThe thing is, I don't really know it was "the team."  I'm not sure I can explain it correctly, but something was just off.  The food, as mediocre as my comments might sound, wasn't the thing that left me feeling that if I was back in the area again, I'd find someplace else to go for lunch.  I don't want to bash the place, though I'm sure it sounds like that's what I'm doing, so I'll shut up now.

I read it as a “bash” but more importantly I interpreted it as a bad experience.  I took my experiences over the last few years, I read recent reviews from other sources, I read @hopsing‘s comments with the identifying comment “regular” and I noted @Ericandblueboy‘s comment about lunches in the past.

I’ll return. I still enjoy it.  Who knows what occurred.  I’ll venture a guess that they might not staff up well for lunches.  Just a semi educated guess,  but I don’t see it as being busy or profitable at that time period. It’s also possible the lease requires them to be open those hours.  (The landlord is also the tenant) All guesses.  Emphasis is that I’ll continue to go there with the belief that you had a one time bad experience 

Instead of my usual pizza or spaghetti and meatballs, this time I tried their branzino special.  It was really good and perfect for the light meal I was looking for.  BTW,  they have a bunch of new wines by the bottle.  I've tried two of the reds and they are spectacular for $29.

Capture.JPG.61a03b9ffa5dd0c9f526c1d3ecad696d.JPG

• Like 2

Went here with a friend last night for an early dinner.  I hadn't been for quite a while.  It was fairly slow when we arrived, but was about 3/4 full when we left. The atmosphere was pleasant, not too loud, and mostly attentive service, with one glitch.

There was a complimentary plate of a couple of pizza crust rolls (about 2 bites per) brushed with a little olive oil and sprinkled with S&P and grated parm.  Tasty and a little chewy.  We split orders of arancini (smaller than a ping-pong ball, about 8-9 on the plate, with a nicely gooey fontina center and a bright tomato sauce for dipping), grilled octopus with a tomato and roasted red pepper? sauce with grilled baby zucchini.  My dining companion found the octopus a little salty, and on its own I would agree, but with the sauce I thought it was balanced.  Then we shared half orders of the mushroom ravioli with greens and abit of olive oil and parm, and the gnocchi with a slightly spicy sausage in a creamy sauce.  I liked both very well and kept going back and forth on  which I liked better and that seemed to end up with whichever was the most recent bite I had eaten. Overall, I thought it was tasty and well executed and glad to see they are keeping up standards.

We were going to order a margherita pizza to share, but our server disappeared after dropping off the menu and by the time she finally came back around, our meal had settled and we weren't hungry anymore, so we passed.  The check (with a glass of wine @ $10) came to a little under $60 for the two of us pre-tip.  

• Like 2