Late Summer

Ilaine

Tiny fresh butter/lima beans today at the Fairfax City farmer's market. A mite pricey, $4 a box, but they were already shelled so you're paying something for the labor.

Also some tender okra. Yesterday in Richmond, at Comfort restaurant, ordered fried okra and they were served whole -- fried, Southern style in cornmeal, but not sliced up, whole. Quite tasty that way.

Has anybody seen fresh turnip greens?

no haricots verts so far this summer at the dupont market. according to one farm, one planting was wiped out by deer in the dead of a single night, and a hot, dry summer is in the process of finishing off another.

tomatoes are not faring so well, either. you might not know it, until you start looking at the prices, which were up this week, rising to as high as $3.60 a pound.

atwater baker's peasant wheat loaves look just like what a recipe in the silver spoon calls for.

Actually, Eli (Spring something Farm from W.VA) had haricots verts earlier in the summer and were charging $4 a half-pound. I was chatting with an acquaintance while she bagged some, who said "It's worth it to me." I went for the fatter "more beans for the buck" ones at New Morning that day.

at that price i guess i am not sorry i missed them. those available at the p street whole foods, though i haven't checked in a few weeks, you probably wouldn't want to use even if they were giving them away.

new morning farm is the only place at the market i have seen even selling big green beans.

i guess it's still not too late to pray for rain, but please no gullywashers.

Summer's end dinner: buttermilk brined fried chicken

Cornmeal battered fried green tomatoes (from Porcupine's garden)

Bruschetta with sweet baby Romas, garden-fresh basil(again from Porcupine) and balsamic

Heard from two of the larger farm/orchards at market today that next Sunday will be the last time they bring peaches to the market. :rolleyes:

Black Rock Orchard promises to sell them up into October, but the changing of the seasons has been underway this strange, strange year (weather-wise) for quite some time.

Zora posted last week about fresh shelling beans she was happily cooking. According to Rachel who works for Spring Valley Farms, the variety they sell is commonly called "October beans", so they are a bit early this year as is the winter squash (here a couple of weeks ago), and so I imagine, the celery root.

When today's Barlett pears, the Gala apples and so on just seemed way too early, way too fallish, Vas (Toigo) said, "Nah. Right on time." Orchard fruit is different from yearly planted crops, but he pointed out that given the cooler season, during periods without much rain, farmers were able to plant their next run of crops earlier than they do during our area's customary intense heat and grossly muggy weather in July and August.