Fall Picnic @ Belle Haven Park

hillvalley

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still like your 'Have you seen this man?' line better.

How about "Our lunch is better than your lunch" or "The food at your picnic sucks!"

ahhhh, yes I knew I had another, better caption...couldn't remember this morning...I blame Thrasher's wine.

so new caption line: "have you seen this man? Donrockwell.com"

Don must have either been really busy or in a really good mood today to let all this chaps chatter go one :lol:

Back to the picnic. Changed my mind on the RSVP thang. If you are interested in coming please post AND send me a PM. Let me know how many if children are involved. It's no big deal if you pull out at the last minute or decide to come at the last minute, I just want to keep a running tally of who and how many.

Also, over the weekend I will ask for volunteers to bring dishes in certain categories. Time to get organized :P

Don must have either been really busy or in a really good mood today to let all this chaps chatter go one :lol:

Back to the picnic.  Changed my mind on the RSVP thang.  If you are interested in coming please post AND send me a PM. Let me know how many if children are involved.  It's no big deal if you pull out at the last minute or decide to come at the last minute, I just want to keep a running tally of who and how many.

Also, over the weekend I will ask for volunteers to bring dishes in certain categories.  Time to get organized :P

Aren't you EXHAUSTED?

I plan on being there, with wife and kids (ages 5 and 8).

No idea what we're going to bring food-wise, but I will bring soccer balls, cones, nets, etc. for the kids, and a nice <deleted> that I just brought back from Scotland for the adults.

Just pushing my response to the top, from much earlier in the thread.

Still bringing the <deleted> from Scotland.

Food-wise, we're still undecided - maybe something with all of these apples we have from our recent trip to Larriland.

(edited to please the lawyers)

Edited by DanielK

Put me down for a likely +3 and I will be bringing my customary smoked butts, North Carolina style sauce, a bowl of roasted potato salad, and a thermos of martian pig slop from hell (and I may include a special ingredient sourced from Corduroy). [Jake, where can I get some of those little plastic cups you use for your wine tastings?]

I know I already posted long ago...

It'll be me, plus She Who Must Be Obeyed, and the One Who Is Known As The Enemy Of All Sleep, who doesn't really count since he's not very mobile and eats liquified things out of small jars, which we will provide.

I will probably bring some sort of lightly cremated dead animal.

Uh, a question. Can we bring a portable grill?

See Ya,

Rob, DR.Com Self-Appointed Cheif Ogler

Preliminary list of who is bringing what based on previous posts:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- 2 smoked pork shoulders (butt) & NC-style sauce

rvanrens -- lightly cremated dead animal

shogun -- miniburgers with an assortment of similarly played-out toppings :lol:

Tripewriter & Walrus -- Cincinnati chili

bubbaque -- couple or three racks of dry-rubbed ribs with a side of chipotle bbq sauce

Sides/Salads:

Jacques Gastreaux -- roasted potato salad

CresentFresh -- some form of chicken salad and probably some corn bread

RaisaB -- tuna aspic

Scott Johnston -- homemade pickles (2 kinds sweet and sour), maybe a pot of collard greens, or maybe red cabbage

Desserts:

LoganCircle -- better-than-Cakelove red velvet cupcakes

laniloa -- chocolate-laden baked goods

Skysplitter -- pie(s)

tenunda -- cake and/or pie

hm212 -- a dessert

crackers -- tentatively an apple crisp

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

clayrae -- michael chiarello's cheese salsa with things to dip

Hannah -- chips, bread, soda, or some combination thereof

hm212 -- “kid junk”

Jacques Gastreaux -- thermos of "martian pig slop from hell"

starfish -- "beverages"

crackers -- large garbage bags and zip-lock freezer bags

rvanrens -- BBQ grill

DanielK -- soccer stuff for the kids

Bringing a dish to be named later:

JPW -- a big ass cooler containing something

DanielK -- something with apples

MelGold & crackers -- complementary dishes (or would that be complimentary dishes? :P )

Those kindly awaiting food category assignment:

goldenticket

Heather

MelGold

Please PM me with picnic-food-related corrections, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors and/or questions.

Edited by mktye

I will also bring large garbage bags and zip lock freezer bags in which to stuff unruly children and any random left over body parts.

If rvanrens brings a grill, and we stuff the children with some of my corn bread, perhaps some chopped pecans and dried fruit, some herbs and spices, then I don't think we'll need to worry about leftovers at all. We'll just need something to wash them down with. :lol:

If rvanrens brings a grill, and we stuff the children with some of my corn bread, perhaps some chopped pecans and dried fruit, some herbs and spices, then I don't think we'll need to worry about leftovers at all.   We'll just need something to wash them down with.   :lol:

Perhaps the Martian pig slop from hell will work. It's been known to strip the paint off of front porches. Edited by crackers

We did discuss making the categories:

Low-Carb, Tolerable-Carb and Screw-Atkins-Carb...

And I was actually considering bringing Texas-style BBQ brisket (and coleslaw!). :P   :D

I cannot be responsible if the masses revolt when you show up without your carbs, in fact I will probably be leading them :lol:

Tick, tock, tick, tock… It is time to start scouring those cookbooks, searching the recipe sites or bugging Auntie Rita for the recipe to her signature “can’t fail” dish.

The picnic is quickly approaching (next Sunday!) and what will you ever bring?

Like what to wear on a big date, you want something impressive, but does not look like you are trying too hard… Effortless, so you don’t have to exhaust yourself getting ready… Dependable, so there are no last minute surprises…

Just don’t run out of time! You may want to do a practice run or two. Or compare a couple of different recipe versions. Or you might have spend a couple of days running around town looking for the perfect piece of butt or some nice firm eggplant.

And when you decide on that perfect dish, please post or PM me so we all can start anticipating the incredible deliciousness of your contribution.

(If you are shy, wish to project an aura of mystery and/or simply indecisive, the general category of your dish is also a perfectly acceptable reply.)

For inspiration, here is what we have so far:

Meats/Mains:

Jacques Gastreaux -- 2 smoked pork shoulders (butt) & NC-style sauce

rvanrens -- lightly cremated dead animal

shogun -- miniburgers with an assortment of similarly played-out toppings

Tripewriter & Walrus -- Cincinnati chili

bubbaque -- couple or three racks of dry-rubbed ribs with a side of chipotle bbq sauce

Sides/Salads:

Jacques Gastreaux -- roasted potato salad

CresentFresh -- some form of chicken salad and probably some corn bread

RaisaB -- tuna aspic

Barbara -- pasta salad in homage to Rocks

ScotteeM -- green bean salad

Scott Johnston -- homemade pickles (2 kinds sweet and sour), maybe a pot of collard greens, or maybe red cabbage

Desserts:

LoganCircle -- better-than-Cakelove red velvet cupcakes

laniloa -- chocolate-laden baked goods

Skysplitter -- pie(s)

tenunda -- cake and/or pie

hm212 -- a dessert

crackers -- tentatively an apple crisp

clayrae -- something chocolate

Appetizers/Drinks/Other:

clayrae -- michael chiarello's cheese salsa with things to dip

Hannah -- chips, bread, soda, or some combination thereof

hm212 -- “kid junk”

Jacques Gastreaux -- thermos of "martian pig slop from hell"

starfish -- "beverages"

MelGold -- forks/knives/spoons, trash bags and containers for leftovers

crackers -- large garbage bags and zip-lock freezer bags

rvanrens -- BBQ grill

DanielK -- soccer stuff for the kids

Bringing a dish to be named later:

JPW -- a big ass cooler containing something

DanielK -- something with apples

Nadya -- something "serviceable"

mdt -- ???

Those oh-so kindly and patiently awaiting food category assignment:

goldenticket

Heather

MelGold

Please PM me with any picnic-food-related corrections, omissions, deletions, additions, changes, spelling errors and/or questions.

Edited by mktye

Great!  We planning on a 1pm start like last time too?

1:00 sounds good to me. We need to start lining up people to make sure nobody bogarts our spot. I'll probably go down to the park the evening before and corral some tables. And I'll be there in the morning to exercise my dog. We'll need sitters from about 9:30 unitl 1:00. Last time, we had shifts of people sitting.

Besides bringing food we need people to bring paper goods and forks/knives/

spoons, containers for leftovers, trash bags, name tags, etc.

Also, I will need volunteers to help watch the site that morning (JG did way too much last time so you Va. people need to step up), make sure that there was no evidence that we were there when it is finished, carpool with people coming from the city who don't have cars, pick up people from the metro, etc. If you can help let me know.

Please post or PM me if you can offer a ride or need one.

Besides bringing food we need people to bring paper goods and forks/knives/

spoons, containers for leftovers, trash bags, name tags, etc.

Also, I will need volunteers to help watch the site that morning (JG did way too much last time so you Va. people need to step up), make sure that there was no evidence that we were there when it is finished, carpool with people coming from the city who don't have cars, pick up people from the metro, etc.  If you can help let me know.

Please post or PM me if you can offer a ride or need one.

I'll bring the forks/knives/spoons, trash bags and containers for leftovers...and if I get to the carwash this weekend, there'll be room in the car if someone needs to be picked up from the metro or is coming from NOVA.

Mr. S and I are not the most social of folks, :lol: but we can't resist this event! We'd very much like to attend.

I'm not sure what to bring (a little intimidated, I guess). I could contribute green beans with Smithfield ham and peanuts (it's a cold dish with a vinaigrette--sort of a salad, I guess) or an appetizer. I'm open to suggestions, but not much good when it comes to desserts or baking.

We can also help provide supplies or libations, if needed.

ScotteeM

Mr. S and I are not the most social of folks, :lol: but we can't resist this event!  We'd very much like to attend.

I'm not sure what to bring (a little intimidated, I guess).  I could contribute green beans with Smithfield ham and peanuts (it's a cold dish with a vinaigrette--sort of a salad, I guess) or an appetizer.  I'm open to suggestions, but not much good when it comes to desserts or baking.

We can also help provide supplies or libations, if needed.

ScotteeM

Though it may SEEM counter-intuitive, this is one of the least intimidating crowds you can imagine--everybody is shy at first, but we all get over it. The green beans sound splendid to me and I am looking forward to meeting you and Mr. S.

Barbara

Edited by Barbara

Though it may SEEM counter-intuitive, this is one of the least intimidating crowds you can imagine--everybody is shy at first, but we all get over it.  The green beans sound splendid to me and I am looking forward to meeting you and Mr. S.

Barbara

Thank you, Barbara! That makes us feel a little better. I'll bring the green beans, and maybe something else to fill in, or supplies. Coordinator(s), please let me know!

ScotteeM

I'm not sure what to bring (a little intimidated, I guess). 

I second Barbara! The only thing this group would scoff at (for picnic purposes only) is anything that came directly from a box (ie, break seal and eat)...the least we ask is to make something that is "Semi-homemade"!

For anyone out there who wants to come & isn't quite sure they want to flex their culinary muscles for fear of being found wanting (which you won't, promise!), come anyway and bring some plastic cups & a bottle of coke. We'd love to see you! :lol:

The only thing this group would scoff at (for picnic purposes only) is anything that came directly from a box (ie, break seal and eat)...the least we ask is to make something that is "Semi-homemade"!

I would have no objection to someone bringing something from a box. Firehook Bakery, for instance, puts really nice things in boxes. :P If you'd rather not make something, bring whatever you think is yummy. Olives - spreads and crackers, cheese.... nobody will turn you away. Just no wine in a box. :lol:

Edited by crackers