Fall Picnic @ Belle Haven Park

hillvalley

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also agree.  Are there any other options?

Here's a cut and paste of HillValley's post (with, em, a few edits):

Dining out is my specialty. Read about it on DonRockwell.com

I always eat and tell. DonRockwell.com

I have an oral fixation. Read about it on DonRockwell.com

It's not just for breakfast anymore. DonRockwell.com

You gonna eat that? DonRockwell.com

Get your tater tots. DonRockwell.com

Food. Whatever. DonRockwell.com

If you have a suggestion, please post it. I hereby declare a deadline of 2pm TOMORROW which is when I need to finalize the design.

I still have Napolean Dynamite on my brain- I have skills. Read about it on DonRockwell.com.

danke,

nicole

What you ought to do is a random drawing out of our signature lines.

For instance, I think mine would make lovely stretched across one's chest.

Alternative:

"All passions start with F. Mine is food. What's yours?

Donrockwell.com."

If we're doing collateral now, I would also like to bring back the idea of a wall calendar "The Babes of DonRockwell.com". We'll need to pick twelve serviceable-looking female regulars from DR.com. Each gets to pick her favorite restaurant and pose in front of it wearing whatever (mine is Komi, look elsewhere) so each month will have a picture of one Dr.Com Babe in front of her fave hangout, a quote explaning the reason for such love, and oh, that month's schedule. Get it printed and on the market, and before you know it, Rocks can quit his day job. I am thinking calendar signing parties, press releases...the works.

Next steps: DR.com Seal of Approval, DR.com Dining Guide (compendium of wittiest reviews posted here), Don Says Don't Go There, our own section of OpenTable.com and NFL season's tickets.

Life's too short to suck ventworm nuts.

That's a better option. But I do want to make one note about the use of the term Ventworm Nut for the shirts: They're an inside joke. If we want to use the shirts as promotional opportunity to grow our little family, an attention getting zinger a la "I swallow. Read the dirty details on DonRockwell.com" might get some click-traffic. The ventworm nut reference as we know it may not be obscure to us, but to others....

Of course, if we don't give a damn if the shirts are promotional and we just want them for our own fun, I agree with Al Dente's adjustment to the theme.

Please define "serviceable-looking".    This sounds like a bad Playboy idea -- something like the "Hot Chicks of WAL-MART"  ... yeesh.

We'll have a beauty contest at the picnic. Top 12 finalists get in the calendar.

(I could have said so many things, but I exercised restraint, don't you think?)

We'll have a beauty contest at the picnic. Top 12 finalists get in the calendar.

I was eagerly anticipating your post, only to be let down. :lol:

For a definition of serviceable just read through Nadya's post here and on eG. :P I also seem to recall a very strange look from Chef Power when using this term in a discusssion.

No. No. No. I'll be slammin' margaritas in the Yukatan on Oct. 2, and I am ABSOLUTELY getting on this calendar. Month is August. So you can pick other eleven.

"Serviceable" is a very old inside joke that I am pleased to report Mr Power bought into with much delight. It means "inoffensive." No, English is not my first language.

Ok then, have a beauty contest, but may I suggest it be held between the men and not the women? Starting with that "Swankly Studbolt" Todd Thrasher :lol: (sorry Todd, please don't spit in my wine on my next visit)

Edited by Camille-Beau

If you have a suggestion, please post it. I hereby declare a deadline of 2pm TOMORROW which is when I need to finalize the design. danke,

nicole

You are mighty generous to be doing this for the team! Thank you!!!

The idea (at least as originally conceived) was not to promote the site but to commemorate the picnic. Just a point in time. Just for fun. (My suggestion is already posted, but there are so many good ones!) But, hey, Rocks should have final word, n'est ce pas?

You are mighty generous to be doing this for the team! Thank you!!!

The idea (at least as originally conceived) was not to promote the site but to commemorate the picnic.  Just a point in time.  Just for fun. (My suggestion is already posted, but there are so many good ones!) But, hey, Rocks should have final word, n'est ce pas?

Here's a solution to be snarky AND not a total inside joke.

On the front of the shirt, over the left pocket, we'll toss in the web address- DonRockwell.com

Underneath a snarky line about ventworms.

On the back it will be about the picnic. And maybe a ventworm.

One way or the other, ventworms will be on the shirt.

For a definition of serviceable just read through Nadya's post here and on eG.  :P   I also seem to recall a very strange look from Chef Power when using this term in a discusssion.

I would buy a calendar with Chef Power on it.

"Serviceable" is a very old inside joke that I am pleased to report Mr Power bought into with much delight. It means "inoffensive."

Ok, that boots Mr Dente from the list. :lol:

Seriously, this one gets my vote:

I always eat and tell. DonRockwell.com

I volunteer to use my widely-reknowned good taste and powers of discretion to judge this or any future beauty pageant involving DR.com members.

Under the rules for "Calling Shotgun", page 32 paragraph 9 section 4 subsection B, this now means that I am Cheif Ogler, with the power to appoint or fire (disappoint?) other judges. It also means that I start accepting bribes as of 5:00 today, and will continue until 1/2 hour before final judging.

Rob

:lol:

Can't believe I'm going to miss this picnic (will be departing Barcelona for Mallorca on 10/1, loungin' on 10/2).

I still want a t-shirt!!!!!!! Whoever volunteers to save me a shirt (PM me), I'll bring you some sort of wonderful food from Spain.

Edited by JLK

No reservations are necessary. Now that we are closer to the date it would be great if people could start chiming in and let us know who is coming and what you are bringing. If you aren't the cooking type let me know, I may have another option for you to bring something without dirtying a pan.

If you can't make the picnic but want a shirt let me know (but not now, I'll post when I am ready for that info.) We will work out a pick up point and go from there.

Crackers is right, the idea was to commemorate the picnic and not advertise the site, although I always love any free advertising to get new members:)

My vote right now is SkySplitter's idea using Heather's I always eat and tell. Donrockwell.com.

I'll let the voting go on until tomorrow evening.

As for the calendar I believe the original idea was for THE MEN to pose ala Chef Tunk's calendar. I would be happy to shoot it. Al Dente has to go 1st.

Don's poetry proves that he has too much free time :lol:

As for the calendar I believe the original idea was for THE MEN to pose ala Chef Tunk's calendar.  I would be happy to shoot it.  Al Dente has to go 1st.

Don's poetry proves that he has too much free time :lol:

Let's not lose sight of the original idea to pose (men or women) in front of restaurants we love. Hmm. Al Dente, chaps, in front of whose door??

Next month, JG, in butcher's apron, in front of RTS. "I do it in ninety minutes or less."

Ah.... assless chaps are standard issue in some of the best neighborhoods in San Francisco.  Some would even say they are the native costume.

Chaps HAVE no ass. If you're wearing something under them, that's fine, but they're still assless by definition - again, if they had a built-in ass, they'd be pants, not chaps.

(And yes, I KNOW the term's common parlance for someone strutting around in chaps with their bare ass hanging out. But it's WRONG. Just like "ATM machine" and "2am in the morning" and adding an apostrophe-s to any restaurant name that doesn't already have one.) :lol:

Next month, JG, in butcher's apron, in front of RTS. "I do it in ninety minutes or less."

Or with a strategically placed cowboy cut. "It's about the meat."

I guess we'd have to stick with posing them in front of the restaurants we love but not cover their naughty bits with the foods we love. Because nobody wants to stand in front of Corduroy blocked only by the scallops, or worse, the mini-ravioli.

I guess we'd have to stick with posing them in front of the restaurants we love but not cover their naughty bits with the foods we love. Because nobody wants to stand in front of Corduroy blocked only by the scallops, or worse, the mini-ravioli.

But what about the Ron Jeremy Spring Rolls.

I have a late t-shirt design idea that came to me around my third glass of champagne last night at Eve:

on the back of the t-shirt a silhouette of Don Rockwell holding a wine glass with the caption "If found return to donrockwell.com"

alternatively the crass route "Suck my ventworm nut..donrockwell.com"

of the other suggestions I like "I eat and tell at donrockwell.com"

I am SO cool with using scallops as pasties, but my public health background intervenes.

I have a late t-shirt design idea that came to me around my third glass of champagne last night at Eve: 

on the back of the t-shirt a silhouette of Don Rockwell holding a wine glass with the caption "If found return to donrockwell.com"

alternatively the crass route "Suck my ventworm nut..donrockwell.com"

of the other suggestions I like "I eat and tell at donrockwell.com"

I still like your 'Have you seen this man?' line better.

How about "Our lunch is better than your lunch" or "The food at your picnic sucks!"

Edited by shogun