A Special Night Out This Saturday

jandres374

Just found out that we landed a babysitter for Saturday night. My wife and I do not get the opportunity to get out much but would like to hit up somehwere special. Since we just found out we can get out, getting a reservation will be next to impossible (at least according to Open Table). We are considering the following. Which would provide us the best opportunity to land seats in the bar area as that appears to be our only chance at around 7 pm.

CityZen (never been)

Mendocino Grill (never been)

Palena (have been and really enjoyed)

Central (never been)

Rasika (never been)

Proof (never been)

Ray's the Classics (have been and really enjoyed, although we went with the kids so meal was not as relaxing as we had hoped)

It's been a while since I've been, but of your list, Cityzen seems like a pretty reasonable bet. Most of the others have very popular bar areas, but unless it has become more popular of late or they have something particular drawing a crowd over there this weekend, Cityzen's bar is usually somewhere you can find a seat.

Just found out that we landed a babysitter for Saturday night. My wife and I do not get the opportunity to get out much but would like to hit up somehwere special. Since we just found out we can get out, getting a reservation will be next to impossible (at least according to Open Table). We are considering the following. Which would provide us the best opportunity to land seats in the bar area as that appears to be our only chance at around 7 pm.

CityZen (never been)

Mendocino Grill (never been)

Palena (have been and really enjoyed)

Central (never been)

Rasika (never been)

Proof (never been)

Ray's the Classics (have been and really enjoyed, although we went with the kids so meal was not as relaxing as we had hoped)

Heck, if you don't get out much, hit the bars at Central, Proof and Rasika. You can walk or take short cab rides.

CityZen is more exclusive feeling, plus, dinner at the bar is spectacular. I would say go really early to the bar at CityZen if you are madly in love. If you have extra time, hit up any other of those joints for a night cap or a taste of something else.

As much fun as it is to avoid human contact, I find that making an actuall phone call to a restaurant tends to turn up reservations that aren't available on Open Table, particularly if you explain your situation and are willing to be flexible.

Also note that, while Saturday nights start a little later than weeknights, you will significantly improve the odds of getting even a bar seat if you show up at 6:30, rather than 7.

As much fun as it is to avoid human contact, I find that making an actuall phone call to a restaurant tends to turn up reservations that aren't available on Open Table, particularly if you explain your situation and are willing to be flexible.

Shazam. Calling a restaurant and unearthing a table that you couldn't find via OT is like finding a warp zone in Super Mario Bros. - it makes you happy you found a little secret!

But yes, in all seriousness, call and tell your story, especially with people probably calling and canceling their existing reservations or changing their party sizes etc.

In the medical world, there is a tradition called "professional courtesy," where doctors find time in their busy schedules to treat other doctors and their families. My guess is that the upscale restaurant business is similar. I would think if you called, gave your name, asked to speak to the chef and say that you have a chance to get out on Saturday and would love to come to their restaurant and is there any chance they could fit you in... they will find a table for you. At any one of those places on your list.

Señor – I agree with Zora, your best bet is to use behind-the-scenes access to get a prized Saturday night table. I'm concerned a reservationist might not be able to help you and the alternate suggestion of walking-in might leave to you and your wife cooling your heels waiting for a table.

I "bet" our DR moderator would use his network on your behalf.

On a related note: what do you leave on the stove for babysitters? When I was a high school aged babysitter in Bethesda, my favorite back burner "feed the kids & sitter" suppers were from World Bank families. These dishes were homey comfort foods that helped calm the kids and kept the sitter attentive to future engagements.

You could also go somewhere that doesn't require advance reservations, such as Cork or Ray's the Steaks.

Nah... speaking as someone who used to have young kids (sold 'em at a garage sale), who wants spend a rare date night arm-wrestling for a table?

You might also want to add Videlia to that list.

And there is much to be said for snuggling up on a couch in front of the fire at the Tabard Inn, sipping cocktails and whispering sweet nothings to one another and sampling the appetizer menu. (hmmm -- talking myself into this one).

And then walking over to Vidalia for what would likely be a better meal, but in a less snuggly setting.

I guess I need to end the speculation and "confess" that I am not that Jose Andres. He just happens to have the same last name as me.

Funny, the couple of times I have been to Jaleo and make a mention of my name to the hostess she just rolls her eyes like she has heard that one more then once.

Sorry to disappoint everyone. Just a regular guy here looking for somewhere to take his wife Saturday.

I really, really prefer using Open Table but I have found that calling and sounding wistful and asking if there might be a table for 2 often works, especially if I am willing to go early. 5:30 at Central is still a pretty hopping place.

And in my baby-sitting days, I loved it when the parents went out early on a Saturday night because it meant they got home with plenty of time to spare for going out myself!

(Why can't I find some one to watch my kid for the $5 an hour I charged back in 1988????)

I'd probably do Cityzen -- haven't been and I feel like I'm missing something.

Good luck and enjoy!

If you really can't get a reservation, I would do Citizen.

But, I would urge you to call and beg at Rasika. We had our first successful babysitter night there last night, and I it was exactly what we needed. Great food and wine. Excellent service. Loud enough to really feel like we were out, but not so hectic that we couldn't hear each other or otherwise felt stressed by the action. And, good bang for the buck. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't do it in the bar area because I find it to be so bustling that it is not great for getting away - more of a see and be seen place.

And? And??

Thanks for all great advice. We ended up at Proof with a table in the dining room (thanks Mark). My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We ended up splitting a couple of small plates: Roasted Baby Beet salad, white tuna crudo, beef sashimi, gnocchi (although I don't think I shared much of it). We then split the seared scallops. Everything was as good as expected. Our server (Sarah?) provided exceptional service and provided perfect wines to match each dish. The pacing of the dishes was perfect to allow us to enjoy our food and wine with each dish.

I had the goat chessecake dessert, which was different then I what was expecting but very tasty. My wife ordered the banana dessert but after a couple of minutes we were informed they were out of it and if she would like something else. I'm not even sure what she ended up with but she enjoyed it. When the bill arrived we were informed that both desserts were comped because they were out of the bananas. We did not ask or even want anything comped. From the time we entered until the time we left we were treated like we were the only people in the place, despite the place being packed.

We will be back soon.