Dining Near the State Theater

Sorry if there's already a thread on this- I couldn't find one. Any suggestions for casual, inexpensive dining near the State Theater? Within walking distance would be perfect, but not absolutely necessary. One in our group is a vegetarian, so I'd rather not take her to Elevation Burger. Otherwise, we eat just about anything (well, except sushi- I'm pregnant).

Thanks!!

Sorry if there's already a thread on this- I couldn't find one. Any suggestions for casual, inexpensive dining near the State Theater? Within walking distance would be perfect, but not absolutely necessary. One in our group is a vegetarian, so I'd rather not take her to Elevation Burger. Otherwise, we eat just about anything (well, except sushi- I'm pregnant).

Thanks!!

Not just within walking distance, but crawling distance are Argia's (Italian) and Clare and Don's Beach Shack (seafood). Of those two my choice would be Argia's.

Still well within walking distance are Ireland's Four P's, Pilin (Thai), Maneki Neko (Japanese), a pho joint (Pho 88, I think).

Have fun in FC!

Not just within walking distance, but crawling distance are Argia's (Italian) and Clare and Don's Beach Shack (seafood). Of those two my choice would be Argia's.

Still well within walking distance are Ireland's Four P's, Pilin (Thai), Maneki Neko (Japanese), a pho joint (Pho 88, I think).

Have fun in FC!

Thanks Twinsdaddy! Argia's (or possibly Pilin) sounds just what I was looking for. Then again, vegetarian's husband loves all things Irish...

I will say, there is a surprisingly...popular...karoake night at the TGI Fridays (I think it's a Fridays, you know one of those crappy chains) around the cornor from the State. Post concert beers, bad karoake, and greasy fried food rounds out the evening nicely :(

I have often eaten at Argia's and have found it to be credible, especially the daily specials. The Asian woman who runs the kitchen has a good touch with Italian dishes, and the wine list is pretty good. Pilin Thai is also pretty good, and it won something like a Washingtonian Top 100 Cheap Eats award. I have eaten at 4 Ps on St. Patty's Day and both the Shepherd's Pie and the Corned Beef and Cabbage were quite good. Depending on what shoes you're wearing and how the weather is, about 3-4 blocks down Washington St. from the State Theater is Lebanese Butcher, and there is no better Lebanese (or Middle Eastern) cuisine within miles.

I will say, there is a surprisingly...popular...karoake night at the TGI Fridays (I think it's a Fridays, you know one of those crappy chains) around the cornor from the State. Post concert beers, bad karoake, and greasy fried food rounds out the evening nicely :(

That is indeed "one of those crappy chains" -- it's a Crapplebee's.

So, I figured I'm going to the State Theater tonight, might as well get some Vietnamese since, I don't know, The State and Eden Center are both in Virginia so they must be right next to each other, right?

Anyway, Lunar New Year. I finally get this Jewish New Year thing down and they throw another one at me.

So, is there anything ethnic, different, exciting out that way that won;t be crammed with celebrants? Looking more for fun dining than fine dining.

So, I figured I'm going to the State Theater tonight, might as well get some Vietnamese since, I don't know, The State and Eden Center are both in Virginia so they must be right next to each other, right?

Anyway, Lunar New Year. I finally get this Jewish New Year thing down and they throw another one at me.

So, is there anything ethnic, different, exciting out that way that won;t be crammed with celebrants? Looking more for fun dining than fine dining.

With the sale of Argia's (they really needed Aimee in the kitchen there), there's nothing I can recommend (food-wise) around the State Theater. La Caraqueña, Rice Paper, Pizzeria Orso, Nha Trang, Hong Kong Palace, Dogfish Head, Mount of Lebanon, and Bangkok Golden are all within a couple miles. Falls Church is notable for a lot of "good" restaurants, but few great ones. If you want to be *right there*, you might just not hate the bar at Clare & Don's - as long as you understand that you'll be drinking Sam Adams and having a fried grouper sandwich and frozen fries. Same at Ireland's 4P's (catacorner on Routes 29 and 7), but substitute Smithwick's and shepherd's pie.

Or, you could have dinner with me and Matt. But my guess is (assuming you'll have a car), you might be fascinated by Nha Trang (you won't feel like you're in America, to the point where you might be out of your comfort zone). Also, if you haven't been to Pupatella, this may be your chance.

With the sale of Argia's (they really needed Aimee in the kitchen there), there's nothing I can recommend (food-wise) around the State Theater. La Caraqueña, Rice Paper, Pizzeria Orso, Nha Trang, Hong Kong Palace, Dogfish Head, Mount of Lebanon, and Bangkok Golden are all within a couple miles. Falls Church is notable for a lot of "good" restaurants, but few great ones. If you want to be *right there*, you might just not hate the bar at Clare & Don's - as long as you understand that you'll be drinking Sam Adams and having a fried grouper sandwich and frozen fries. Same at Ireland's 4P's (catacorner on Routes 29 and 7), but substitute Smithwick's and shepherd's pie.

Or, you could have dinner with me and Matt. But my guess is (assuming you'll have a car), you might be fascinated by Nha Trang (you won't feel like you're in America, to the point where you might be out of your comfort zone). Also, if you haven't been to Pupatella, this may be your chance.

I've been warned by a Vietnamese friend to avoid Asian places this weekend, alas, Or I'd be at Rice Paper or Nha Trang.

Dined at C and D's last night, bar. Its different when you have an 8 week old with you but one owner, David, is more than delighted to take him off your hands and walk him around the restaurant greeting people. So, yes, I do have some 'in' with the owners and GM, who happens to be my brother-in-law. Look, lets just state the facts as they are in reality, C and D's is not going for top 100 restaurants, they don't really want to simply because its not their style. Surprisingly the move from Clarendon years ago proved to Falls Church IMHO made better sense for their concept. Neighborhood. As well being a vegetarian their menu fits many needs for me and my wife. Veg Heads enjoy options, not just the run of the mill Mushroom and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich or my favorite, Penne Pasta with Veg in a cream sauce..Yuck! They have plenty of Tofu options on the menu which makes dishes more enticing. I will say this in response to our fearless leader the beer selections on Tap are much improved, from Fat Tire and Lost Rhino. Service is solid, as they have virtually no turnover with staff.

Look, Clare and Don's is a neighborhood joint that doesn't want to make things overwhelming in anyway shape or form, the owners spend time on the floor and in the kitchen, the food for me is what I expect, solid, not over the top, and hey, I grew up on Frozen Fries. So I am a homer, sue me, but its a place where both of my sons are treated as just one of the neighborhood regulars.

Look, Clare and Don's is a neighborhood joint that doesn't want to make things overwhelming in anyway shape or form, the owners spend time on the floor and in the kitchen, the food for me is what I expect, solid, not over the top, and hey, I grew up on Frozen Fries. So I am a homer, sue me, but its a place where both of my sons are treated as just one of the neighborhood regulars.

Hey, don't get me wrong - I *like* Clare and Don's ... but I do absolutely have to issue the qualifier: "for what it is" (I'd be surprised if there's anything at all there that doesn't come straight from the Sysco truck, and I couldn't recommend that anyone go there for the food). Also, I get the corned beef hash and eggs breakfast at Mike's Deli more often than I should - the Tax's were early members of this website, and they are nice people.

I've been to Grouper Tuesdays several times, and that's why I mentioned that sandwich. (You save like a dollar.)

It was very crowded last night when we drove past - we actually tried to go to Dogwood Tavern (where I haven't been now in over two years), and there was a 30-minute wait, so we walked across the street. 4Ps, as bad as it is, has a special place for me because Matt and I planned our trip to Dublin sitting on their patio, but last night it was just plain *horrible*.

And if you went here tonight, please accept my apologies - worst meal of 2013 for me.

Fortunately, there are many more days left in the year.

I would be curious about Waitman's eventual choice and how he enjoyed it. Had it been me, I would have simply gone to Mount of Lebanon for the best on-the-menu kibbeh nayeh around here, or maybe Pizzeria Orso despite its downturn....

Hey, don't get me wrong - I *like* Clare and Don's ... but I do absolutely have to issue the qualifier: "for what it is" (I'd be surprised if there's anything at all there that doesn't come straight from the Sysco truck, and I couldn't recommend that anyone go there for the food). Also, I get the corned beef hash and eggs breakfast at Mike's Deli more often than I should - the Tax's were early members of this website, and they are nice people.

I've been to Grouper Tuesdays several times, and that's why I mentioned that sandwich. (You save like a dollar.)

It was very crowded last night when we drove past - we actually tried to go to Dogwood Tavern (where I haven't been now in over two years), and there was a 30-minute wait, so we walked across the street. 4Ps, as bad as it is, has a special place for me because Matt and I planned our trip to Dublin sitting on their patio, but last night it was just plain *horrible*.

(Hmmm, attempting to edit Don's quote down in Chrome just destroyed attribution, so I'll leave it as-is for now.)

I went to C&D's last night too for the first time in ages. It was my "introduce my girlfriend to my brother and sister-in-law" night.

Got there about 8 PM and it was an approximately 20 minute wait for a party of four. We waited out by the fire pit which kept us plenty warm.

We split fried pickles, hush puppies, and tater tots for appetizers, and everything was good. I had the blackened tilapia with 4 extra scallops, and again, everything was good. Started the night with a Sierra Nevada Torpedo (out of a can) and switched to the Lost Rhino IPA when inside.

Solid meal, good price, and great time. Sorry to hear about 4 Ps food, though it's rare that I eat there anymore...

Too late for this past weekend, but I would have recommended Blanca's. You might have been disappointed, though, because they might have been closed. On some website somewhere it says they're closed Saturdays and Sundays; another somewhere else says they're open 7 days a week. Blanca's is one of the dwindling number of modest restaurants not to have its own website that could settle the matter.