Burger Joint, An Upscale Maryland Hamburger Chain - Founder Mark Bucher No Longer Directly Involved With The Business

As a final aside, coworkers in my office have indicated that another joint around the corner, Crossfire, is as good, or (in their opinion) arguably better and for less money. I believe further investigation is in order so that I can come to my own conclusions.
I enjoy Burger Joint - Crossfire is hockey puck frozen stuff.

As a final aside, coworkers in my office have indicated that another joint around the corner, Crossfire, is as good, or (in their opinion) arguably better and for less money. I believe further investigation is in order so that I can come to my own conclusions.

I'd disagree with your coworkers. I wouldn't even say it's close. But check it out for yourself.

Pax,
Brian

I tried TBJ today for the first time and the burger was extremely over-salted to the point that I did not eat the entire burger. Very disappointed, as I wanted to like this place. I'm thinking that this is an abberation, but wondered if anyone else had that experience.

Did you tell them? I have found they are pretty responsive to their customers. I am sure they would have replaced the burger.

I tried TBJ today for the first time and the burger was extremely over-salted to the point that I did not eat the entire burger. Very disappointed, as I wanted to like this place. I'm thinking that this is an abberation, but wondered if anyone else had that experience.

Did you tell them? I have found they are pretty responsive to their customers. I am sure they would have replaced the burger.

We absolutely would have replaced the burger, thrown in a dessert and probbably a t shirt and I might have cut off the grill cooks hand in my rage. (I kid about the hand, not the rage) Sorry that happened. Track me or Nate down next time and the BGR's on me. Also for those curious McCain 862, Obama 834. Results a bit skewed for the Obama fans buying the Mccain, but not wanting the vote tallied. We had no way to seprate that out on the POS system. Anyway DC Central Kitchen got a $2,000 check and we had a blast with it. And for those anticipating this month, it's Thanksgiving on a Bun ( couldn't resist and THX MS for the suggestion) Turkey BGR, homemade cornbread stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce . ITS HUGE AND MESSY BE WARNED (same price as normal turkey BGR). And Yes ALB, your Bgr is coming soon!!! Also the shake is Pumpkin Spice...

We absolutely would have replaced the burger, thrown in a dessert and probbably a t shirt and I might have cut off the grill cooks hand in my rage. (I kid about the hand, not the rage) Sorry that happened. Track me or Nate down next time and the BGR's on me. Also for those curious McCain 862, Obama 834. Results a bit skewed for the Obama fans buying the Mccain, but not wanting the vote tallied. We had no way to seprate that out on the POS system. Anyway DC Central Kitchen got a $2,000 check and we had a blast with it. And for those anticipating this month, it's Thanksgiving on a Bun ( couldn't resist and THX MS for the suggestion) Turkey BGR, homemade cornbread stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce . ITS HUGE AND MESSY BE WARNED (same price as normal turkey BGR). And Yes ALB, your Bgr is coming soon!!! Also the shake is Pumpkin Spice...

Looking forward to it Mark!!

Bacon cheeseburger cooked exactly to my liking. Pumpkin shake was very yummy. I like this place, but don't get there often living in Alexandria.
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!! Here's some good news for a change... In celebration of Valentines Day, all of the ladies will get a free long stemmed rose today at BGR! Enjoy the day and Happy Valentines day to all!

That is how it was today Over salted and Over peppered - Ate about three bites.

Told one of the guys behind the counter that looked like a manager (must have been wrong, there were four people behind the counter) and I assumed he would offer to recook one. Not even an apology - just an oh with a strange look like it was me (Guess Marc was out - didn't ask for him, shouldn't have to and don't like to name drop). - so I tossed it and saved the calories for the Wizards game tonight.

Spring is coming I hope they are stepping it up a notch for both food & service.

Expanding to Alexandria?

From the City of Alexandria's Planning Commission's Preliminary Docket for a May 7 public hearing...

SPECIAL USE PERMIT #2009-0011

106-108 N WASHINGTON STREET

THE BURGER JOINT

Consideration of a request to operate a restaurant; zoned CG/Commercial General.

Applicant: The Burger Joint by M. Catharine Puskar, attorney

ETA: This is the old Timberman's Drug Store location near the intersection of King and Washington Streets.

I went here again tonight. Had a regular bacon cheeseburger. Nicely done, but a bit overdone for medium rare. The fries. the fries were better this time. A bit more done and crispy but still potatoey. I'd still kill for some think stink stinkly garlic fries though. That said, I *almost* ordered the Don Rockwell (or whatever they called the May burger) but decided it was far too filling sounding to dar. It was basically a buger with a bucket load of pulled pork and BBQ sauce over top.

Oy!

It should also be mentioned that their onion rings are better than average.

An utterly compelling gastronomic achievement.

I was there last week on the 1st of May for a quick dinner. I seriously considered trying this, but it seemed to be too, too much for me. So I opted instead for just a regular old hamburger. BGR is getting more consistent with hitting the right level of done-ness on their burgers. Not perfect, but a bit more consistent. I think I might need to order my burgers rare to get them actually medium rare, but as long as they are consistent, then I know how to order to get what I want. Also, I may be talking out of my arse, but I think their fries have improved.

I think I might need to order my burgers rare to get them actually medium rare, but as long as they are consistent, then I know how to order to get what I want.
I have found that too - but keeping consistent has been a huge issue here. When they good they are GREAT, when they are bad they are HORRID.

Dieting for a few more weeks with summer coming, but hoping they have trained staff over the summer.

Marc - I know it is early but hopefully sweet corn coming this summer.

Looks like things moved a step closer to an Alexandria location at last night's Planning Commission meeting:

106-108 NORTH WASHINGTON STREET

THE BURGER JOINT

Consideration of a request to operate a restaurant; zoned CG/Commercial General.

Applicant: The Burger Joint by M. Catharine Puskar, attorney

ACTION: RECOMMENDED APPROVAL w/amendments 7-0

I have found that too - but keeping consistent has been a huge issue here. When they good they are GREAT, when they are bad they are HORRID.

Dieting for a few more weeks with summer coming, but hoping they have trained staff over the summer.

Marc - I know it is early but hopefully sweet corn coming this summer.

Indeed fries have been improved, old fry guy now working for General Motors, replaced with guys from Houstons!

I finally tried Burger Joint this weekend. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was very disappointed. I ordered a basic cheeseburger. It was slightly charred (ie: burnt - not a good thing IMO), and waaaay too much salt/pepper. My campanion had the Lobster Roll. Again, disappointing. There were a few shreds of lobster spread over 3 slider rolls with a thick slice of tomato. Basically a tomato sandwich with a garnish of lobster - not worth the price.

The fries were the best part...although FiveGuys and Bobby's Crabcakes were better.

For $35+, we won't be going back. I've had better burgers at Fuddruckers. :D

I finally tried Burger Joint this weekend. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was very disappointed. I ordered a basic cheeseburger. It was slightly charred (ie: burnt - not a good thing IMO), and waaaay too much salt/pepper. My campanion had the Lobster Roll. Again, disappointing. There were a few shreds of lobster spread over 3 slider rolls with a thick slice of tomato. Basically a tomato sandwich with a garnish of lobster - not worth the price.

The fries were the best part...although FiveGuys and Bobby's Crabcakes were better.

For $35+, we won't be going back. I've had better burgers at Fuddruckers. :D

So, I gotta ask and folks on this board can validate this, "if the food wasn't right, why didnt you say anything to the staff, they would have gladly replaced it and given you a complete refund?" We bend over backwards to make sure everyone is happy. The Lobster roll is stupendous and plentiful (see washingtonian th is month). If it wasnt prepared right,we would have made it right for you.

So, I gotta ask and folks on this board can validate this, "if the food wasn't right, why didnt you say anything to the staff, they would have gladly replaced it and given you a complete refund?" We bend over backwards to make sure everyone is happy. The Lobster roll is stupendous and plentiful (see washingtonian th is month). If it wasnt prepared right,we would have made it right for you.

The satisfaction of coming home and bitching on the internet far outweighs the pleasure derived from a good meal. :D

Because at many restaurants, a second prep comes with a side of loogey.

On a first visit, how is one supposed to know whether the food served is sub-standard? It's only after multiple visits does a customer notice when something isn't right. Furthermore, I'm not going to go take my burger back and demand a new one because I think it's too salty. Based on many other posts here, it seems to be an on-going complaint, so perhaps some of us are more sensitive to the normal amount of seasoning than others.

On a first visit, how is one supposed to know whether the food served is sub-standard? It's only after multiple visits does a customer notice when something isn't right. Furthermore, I'm not going to go take my burger back and demand a new one because I think it's too salty. Based on many other posts here, it seems to be an on-going complaint, so perhaps some of us are more sensitive to the normal amount of seasoning than others.

For whatever it's worth, and you REALLY need to take this reply with a grain of, um, salt because of its very nature - I had an excellent Rocks burger yesterday afternoon, ordered and served medium-rare. I've had it three times now (once last year when I didn't like it, and twice this year), and it is somewhat salty (I was pretty thirsty a couple hours later), but the perceived saltiness is neutralized by the creaminess of the cole slaw and the sweetness in the barbecue sauce.

Indeed fries have been improved, old fry guy now working for General Motors, replaced with guys from Houstons!

The Yukon Gold fries I had were much improved over any other fries I've had there before (that said, they are thick-cut steak fries, which some may not prefer, but I think are appropriate for Yukon Golds).

Let me add that the only reason I went yesterday was for my mom to see the Rocks burger before the month was over (she was taking pictures of the sign and everything, and was so proud of her little darling), so take the credibility of this post for what it's worth, which isn't much.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Let me add that the only reason I went yesterday was for my mom to see the Rocks burger before the month was over (she was taking pictures of the sign and everything, and was so proud of her little darling), so take the credibility of this post for what it's worth, which isn't much.

do you order that "rocks well don(e)"?

Had a great blue cheese bacon burger and fries today. The burger was a perfect medium rare, juicy and the blue cheese and bacon nicely paired. The fries were perfect too, hot, not greasy and as descibed before, very potatoly. Place was clean, service quick and I had a great table outside. Bathrooms were clean, front windows fingerprint free, and a beautiful day to boot. (OK, I use to work retail and notice this stuff). Only thing I would change is having the grilled onions sliced thiner.

I dropped by for the first time two weeks ago Sunday. I was in Bethesda on a trip to the Minute Clinic in CVS (basically a doc in the box). It was slow - about 3 groups in the restaurant. I ordered a cheeseburger with bacon and fries. Burger ordered medium rare, and medium rare was printed on the ticket. First burger comes out without bacon. I take it up and bacon is added, at room temperature. I take it back to my seat and bite in. It was cooked well done. I take it back up and ask for a new medium rare. The girl at the register apologies and checks my ticket- indeed it says medium rare. I wait patiently -- these things happen. The next burger comes out, with a new batch of fries. I take a bite of the burger - it's well done again. Not even a hint of pink. I eat it because I have invested too much time in this venture and I need to move on.

I politely explain the situation to the manager and he apologizes, agrees with me, and gives me a business card for a future burger, fries, and drink. I'll make it out sometime this summer to give it a second shot. I liked the decor and music . .

Good burger, but worth the wait?

Wife, son, and I stopped by tonight. We enjoyed the food. The burgers were correctly cooked and pretty tasty. Bun fell apart a little toward the end, but not a huge problem. The fries were crisp and hot. The staff was also helpful in fixing one problem I caused with my order (forgetting to order fries) and one problem that was theirs (forgetting to put bacon on my burger). And the outdoor seating is a nice option.

Only problem: everything was sloooowwwww. The line to order food was agonizingly slow. It seemed to take about five minutes per customer to get the orders in. The food took even longer to get out of the kitchen. I didn't complain to a manager because if I had done so, it would have been on behalf of everybody in the restaurant. There were a bunch of different families out on the patio, all of the dads simultaneously looking at their watches wondering where the heck the food was. It's burgers and fries. It doesn't seem like it should take that long.

Not sure what happened. Maybe just an off night. But this was about 6:00 on a Saturday night, and it was neither empty nor real busy. What happens at 7:00 or 8:00?

We'll be back, but we may call in order ahead of time so we don't have to wait so long.

By the way, their current burger of the month is called the "Raise the Bar"--tongue firmly in cheek, a burger advertised to be larger than you know whose.

I needed something quick today (July 4th) in downtown Bethesda, and several places were closed, including my target restaurant Chicken On The Run, and also The Corner Slice. So I stopped into Burger Joint, and for once ordered something that wasn't on special. The Burger ($6.99), with cheddar ($.69), applewood-smoked bacon ($.69), lettuce, tomato, grilled (!) red onion, pickle, and mojo sauce would have been a truly great hamburger, except it was ordered medium-rare and arrived very close to well-done. It took a long time to cook, and that's probably why. Still, for informal, carryout hamburgers, there's Ray's Hell-Burger, Burger Joint, and nothing else in the area even comes close - Five Guys, Elevation Burger, and Good Stuff Eatery all pale in comparison.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Wellington Burger, medium rare and it actually came out that way = SCORE!

corn on the grill (great idea in concept, especially since it is in season!!) = FAIL (lousy corn, no salt available for to-go crowd, no butter)

Should have gotten the fries.

Anyone have an update on when the Old Town location will be opening?

Sooooooon, very sooooooooon................I'll post a 24 hour update, once we get our final inspections(hopefully this coming week). We'll be having a VIP party, details to follow. Very much looking forward to becoming a part of the Alexandria Community. They have been very welcoming....

Sooooooon, very sooooooooon................I'll post a 24 hour update, once we get our final inspections(hopefully this coming week). We'll be having a VIP party, details to follow. Very much looking forward to becoming a part of the Alexandria Community. They have been very welcoming....

Saw the awning last week while waiting on someone for a meal at Eamonn's - very cool. Can't wait to finally try the burger joint!

photo linky

My coworkers and I tried the mega burger recently. The link above takes you to all of the pictures. Below is one of them for your enjoyment.

I had visions of a medium rare burger with the taste of the grill. But, it's impossible to do a burger that big that way -- so it is more like a meatloaf burger than an actual burger. Still, it was fun and an adventure.

3820523737_a09fed94ea.jpg

Burger Joint is a welcome, and tasty, new neighbor in Old Town. The build out of the old drug store space is fun and funky, while still retaining some of the old architectural features of the space. And it was completed in record time, given the hoops the city makes business owners jump through! According to their website, Old Town hours are 11:00 am - 10:00 pm, Mon-Sun.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first BGR burger on Monday, cooked just as I ordered (Med-rare). I look forward to going back to try some of the other offerings like the veggie and turkey burgers. I couldn't finish the whole burger, but it traveled well to share with my +1 at home, as did the *huge* onion rings.

I got the Wellington, while it contained a juciy beefy patty, the mushroom topping was too overpowering (cognac mushroom toppping from Rays is my favorite). All I can taste was rosemary and mushroom. The place was rather chaotic and they made several mistakes on my order (forgot my fries, burger not cooked to temperature, didn't know what garlic fries was). I will wait a month and give it a another go.

I got the Wellington, while it contained a juciy beefy patty, the mushroom topping was too overpowering (cognac mushroom toppping from Rays is my favorite). All I can taste was rosemary and mushroom. The place was rather chaotic and they made several mistakes on my order (forgot my fries, burger not cooked to temperature, didn't know what garlic fries was). I will wait a month and give it a another go.

EMA, thanks for the note. Today was indeed chaotic. Friday before labor day day #11 open, and we simply were slammed. Im glad you stopped in and thought of us, sorry for the Wellington topping (you were right) it indeed wasn't right. It truly is divine, and was corrected around 4pm today. Next time let us know, in person, when something is wrong, its the instant feedback that allows us to react and respond accordingly. next time say hi TX mark

First trip to the Burger Joint in Bethesda, and overall it was a good experience. I ordered the Burger of the Month:

The Iron Chef Kerry Simon: “11 oz burger, infused with applewood smoked bacon and caramelized Vidalia onions. Topped with aged Vermont Cheddar and a gorgeous beef-steak tomato slice” ($11.99)

Requested it medium-well, and then went to sit with my four friends, who all went for the basic burger. Obviously mine came up last considering that it's a good four ounces heavier than their standard 7 oz. patties, but it was pretty clear to me that they left it on the grill a little too long even taking the weight difference into account. Overall, it seemed like all of our burgers were a bit overcooked. Two medium-rare burgers had hardly a touch of pink at the center, while my burger was cooked to at least well done. Plus the level of char on the outside was a little excessive: it was fully blackened, and had a slightly unpleasant burnt taste that interfered somewhat with my ability to pick up on all the great stuff packed into the patty.

Despite all this, the flavors at work in the burger were truly satisfying. The onions and bacon were nice, though eclipsed slightly by the char, but more importantly the meat itself had a lot of flavor, and managed to remain juicy even though it had been thoroughly cooked. Unlike the burgers at Good Stuff, where the meat really did not seem high quality at all, the Burger Joint's meat has an awesome, clean beef flavor and no lingering, unpleasant aftertaste. They also far surpass Good Stuff in terms of texture. My only complaint beyond the burnt exterior is that despite the lengthy cooking time, they managed to avoid actually melting the cheddar cheese on top of the burger. If there's one thing that annoys me, it's when a burger's cheese hasn't been fully melted, and the cheddar on mine was sitting right on top of the patty, still in the shape of a slice, hardly warmed. So was the Kerry Simon worth $11.99? Probably not, but it was good.

As for sides, the fries and the onion rings were both fantastic. I love fries that are crisp on the outside yet thick enough to actually taste like potato, and these fit that bill. The rings were nice and crisp too. Finally, the one milkshake we got was a disappointment: the double chocolate had a good chocolate flavor, but was just way too thick. It could hardly be pulled through a straw, and when we tried to stir it, the ice cream in the cup moved as a single, solid mass.

I definitely plan to head back, since the burger tasted fantastic in spite of my quibbles with how it was cooked, and since it isn't fair at all to judge on one burger alone. Plus I'm eager to try some of the more unique options on the menu (The Wellington,The Southwestern, and the Ahi Tuna in particular). Next time I'll avoid the shakes though, and order my burger medium.

Quarks contain properties known as "flavors," and there are six different ones (up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom). A quark can only change flavors due to the "weak interaction," (i.e., absorbing or emitting a W Boson), the weak interaction being one of the four fundamental interactions of nature (the others being the strong interaction, electromagnetism, and gravity).

But not only do quarks have flavors, they also have "colors" (each complimented by an anticolor, and combined (mediated by gluons) by the strong interaction (see above)).

Every quark "flavor" forms a triplet with three "color" subtypes: B G R.

Not sure where I'm going with this but am pretty sure I should probably drink less.