Burger Joint, An Upscale Maryland Hamburger Chain - Founder Mark Bucher No Longer Directly Involved With The Business

Hit the new BGR in Old Town alex and had a very good, well prepared and very, very juicy. The patty was definatly on par with Ray's (but I love their selection of cheeses). One big advantage of BGR is being able to get a beer with my burger. They just go together naturally. Will Ray's ever get a beer/wine license?

I was really sick of having lean pocket for lunch so I went out and had a burger in Bethesda today for lunch and it really was spot on. I ordered it medium rare (It was perfectly medium when I opened it at my desk) the fries could have been a little more crispy but in fairness since I took it to go it steamed in the bag. The flavor was there and I really enjoyed my lunch today.

I had lunch here a few weeks ago and really couldn't have been happier with the "Iron Chef Kerry whoever" burger, which had bacon and onions in the paddy and cheese on top. It was huge and wonderfully juicy/greasy (no sarcasm). I usually don't like burgers that are big enough that the meat is spilling out of the bun from the get go, but it was tasty enough that it didn't bother me at all.

Hadn't been back to the Burger Joint in a long while so stopped by for dinner about a week ago.

Disappointed that the "build your own burger" options were limited [lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mojo sauce, cheese, applewood bacon]. So went with one of their preformatted ones, the Cuban [slow roasted pork, serrano ham, sweet pickles, dijon mustard and swiss cheese. Served on our brioche bun and grill pressed] and requested medium-rare.

BurgerJoint_Cuban_edited-1.jpg

The burger was cooked closer to past medium sad.gif but the flavor of the Cuban was dee-lish! Accompanying fries are definitely improved from what I last remember. Washed the burger down with a beer which I agree is always nice.

Ray's is still my 1st preference, especially since I prefer to build my own burger & Hellburger's options are fantastic. But Burger Joint is producing a damn fine burger, and needs to go into a regular rotation of mine when I'm jonsing for a good burger.

Disappointed that the "build your own burger" options were limited [lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mojo sauce, cheese, applewood bacon]. So went with one of their preformatted ones, the Cuban [slow roasted pork, serrano ham, sweet pickles, dijon mustard and swiss cheese.

Ok, I'll bite, what other toppings would be preferred?

I'm really excited to see a BGR in Dupont. It will fill a much-needed fast casual hole in that immediate vicinity. Besides Nando's and the usual chains (Subway, Fuddruckers, etc), there's a need for some cheaper, casual but still high-quality options. I'm hoping they serve beer and/or are open late. :(

Ok, I'll bite, what other toppings would be preferred?

Mark, sorry just getting back to this thread.

Thanks for considering this! Quick list of what I'd love on a "build a burger":

* sauteed mushrooms [this is what I noticed the most]

* a good variety of cheeses [some examples: swiss, american, provolone, pepper jack, blue, muenster, sharp & mild cheddar]

* onions: choice of sliced raw or caramelized/sautéed onions

Mark, sorry just getting back to this thread.

Thanks for considering this! Quick list of what I'd love on a "build a burger":

* sauteed mushrooms [this is what I noticed the most]

* a good variety of cheeses [some examples: swiss, american, provolone, pepper jack, blue, muenster, sharp & mild cheddar]

* onions: choice of sliced raw or caramelized/sautéed onions

* sauteed mushrooms [this is what I noticed the most] Yup ask for the wellington topping

* a good variety of cheeses [some examples: swiss, american, provolone, pepper jack, blue, muenster, sharp & mild cheddar Yup American (yellow and white), swiss, cheddar, pepper jack , blue all avail incl feta

* onions: choice of sliced raw or caramelized/sautéed onions both availabale, raw red or white, grilled red or white...

* sauteed mushrooms [this is what I noticed the most] Yup ask for the wellington topping

* a good variety of cheeses [some examples: swiss, american, provolone, pepper jack, blue, muenster, sharp & mild cheddar Yup American (yellow and white), swiss, cheddar, pepper jack , blue all avail incl feta

* onions: choice of sliced raw or caramelized/sautéed onions both availabale, raw red or white, grilled red or white...

Mark, but the issue is that your basic burger doesn't list that detail.

The Burger

This is the one that put us on the map. Served on a fresh, buttery-toasted brioche bun. Specify lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mojo sauce. Add cheese, applewood bacon, double it.

B2C messaging: Should the customer have to guess any of that?:

* Cheese

* Mushrooms

* Onions

The Dupont location is open.

I had the Wellington for lunch today, which was tasty. I wouldn't say that I detected a strong taste of black truffles but the roasted mushrooms were very good, and the meat was too. I continue to enjoy their bun. I definitely preferred this burger to the one I had a Hell Burger a few weeks ago.

They seemed to be having trouble handling the lunchtime rush right now, but I'm sure they'll work it out.

The Dupont location is open.

I had the Wellington for lunch today, which was tasty. I wouldn't say that I detected a strong taste of black truffles but the roasted mushrooms were very good, and the meat was too. I continue to enjoy their bun. I definitely preferred this burger to the one I had a Hell Burger a few weeks ago.

They seemed to be having trouble handling the lunchtime rush right now, but I'm sure they'll work it out.

Where exactly is the Dupont location? I may take a walk over there tomorrow, AFTER my cardiologist appointment of course! :(

I just finished the Wellington an hour ago, from the Dupont location. Didn't detect black truffles either. I broke my own rule and ordered the burger medium rare. The meat is high quality, a bit leaner than most.

I definitely preferred Hell Burger's, actually.

I finally got a chance to try out BGR at the new Dupont Circle location. Overall, it was a great burger. I ordered a burger with lettuce, tomatoes, pickle and mojo sauce. I usually try to keep it simple so I can taste the beef. I think the burger itself was great, had a nice charred and salty crust. The tomatoes were very high quality. My girlfriend ordered a cheeseburger with cheddar and her tomato was almost an inch thick (amazing). We also shared some sweet potato fries which were good, but a little cold by the time we got them.

Some small complaints:

The gentlemen working the ordering/register was slow.

Ordered it medium, but was more like medium well.

I think the menu should clearly have the types of condiments and cheese offered. To ask what kinds of cheese they have will just slow down the process.

Maybe have Old Bay on the tables for fries (especially considering the location.)

Overall, I would definitely rate the burger itself ahead of Five Guys and Ray's. I like the simple ambiance better at Good Stuff, but the 80's music vibe is kind of cool (although why play Fall Out Boy if you have 80's rock icons on the wall?) I will have to return to try out the other specialty burgers, and the shakes to see how they compare to Good Stuff. A great addition to Dupont area.

The tomatoes were very high quality. My girlfriend ordered a cheeseburger with cheddar and her tomato was almost an inch thick (amazing).

Sorry, this is where I remain skeptical. It's November. Tomatoes may be bright red and thick, but when they are not in season, even if they are sold by a wonderful farmer whose peaches make you swoon in July, I don't think tomato slices belong on an expensive hamburger less than a month before winter. Last year, I remember The Burger Joint boasting about their dedication to farm-fresh food (or something to that effect) and selling asparagus on the night of the last (? cold night) presidential debate.

Sorry, this is where I remain skeptical. It's November. Tomatoes may be bright red and thick, but when they are not in season, even if they are sold by a wonderful farmer whose peaches make you swoon in July, I don't think tomato slices belong on an expensive hamburger less than a month before winter. Last year, I remember The Burger Joint boasting about their dedication to farm-fresh food (or something to that effect) and selling asparagus at the height of the presidential campaign.

There are people growing hot house tomatoes in PA, which are available through Tuscarora markets. They are not bad at all and miles ahead of the pink rubber ones at the supermarket. Plus, some local farmers still have some tomatoes which haven't yet been hit by frost. Just sayin'.

Thanks to some last minute holiday errands (if they think last year's outfit ruined the family Thanksgiving, wait 'til they see what Stigg and Franz at the Leather Rack put together for me this year!) I finally got the chance to try BGR at the new Dupont location and I have to say I was very impressed. They really do a superb job of taking the "great American burger" to the next level. The burger itself has a great first-bite "wow" effect from the char, and the complexity and depth of flavor from the high-quality dry-aged blend really comes through throughout, although I was forced to wonder if there wasn't at least a small amount of kosher beef in the blend. Onion rings greaselessly fried and better than should be allowed and the shake absolutely perfect (not some sickeningly sweet, treacly travesty). Tomato was heretically quite tasty.

Pluses: Richard Butler, The Stranglers, Blur and Pearl Jam. Minuses: The Strokes, Green Day, and Oasis (eww).

Onion rings greaselessly fried and better than should be allowed and the shake absolutely perfect (not some sickeningly sweet, treacly travesty).

I wish I could laud the onion rings, they were of a great quality, but I thought that they were way too thick. When I had them last week at the Old Town branch they were almost an inch thick, this led to the inside of the onion not being completely cooked. I think that this might be a stylistic issue, I generally prefer thinner rings where the batter better adheres to the onions.

Now enough with the negatives, the burger I had was delicious, it came as close to the "Great American Burger" as I think that I have ever had. The char was right, the meat was beefy enough and the toppings were just right. I felt the same way about both my cheeseburger and my wife's sliders.

Very nice dinner at the Bethesda location tonight. I got the March Special, the Reuben Burger. That's right, corned beef, kraut, and Russian dressing on the burger. Overkill? Definitely. Messy? Ridiculously so. Delicious? Yes. Unfortunately cooked medium rather than medium-rare, but juicy, so not worth sending back.

My son got the regular burger, everything on it. It was gone before I could ask if it was any good. (It was.)

A shared fries (one order of fries for under $3 can serve 2, maybe 3 people) and double-chocolate shake (also enough to share) satisfied both our hunger, and our weekly dietary fat allowance.

For someone who is not a burger eater, I am glad that the Burger Joint has alternatives such as The Greek and Ahi Tuna as options, especially during lent, for the latter.

Although the dining guide still says "coming soon," the Dupont Circle location (this visit occurred a few weeks ago) was pretty hopping with the classics and a good young(er) crowd that made me wonder if they appreciated the tunes blasting over them.

Sitting at a mosaic-based Lisa Simpson table with a dear friend made me wonder the above.

A charming smile with a wonderfully, equally friendly order taker garnered a giant chocolate chip cookie, complementary. I think it hit the spot after the "burgers" and fries ordered, but as with all gargantuan items these days, it felt like the size of my head. But, to stay on-topic, the "burgers" :

I can see why The Greek won the Bobby Flay throwdown challenge -- it was juicy, not dry, and rich in its garlic and cumin spices. I really like how it was not "lamb-y" and easy on the flavors.

Equally tasty, with a nice counterbalance to the "meat," the Ahi Tuna was seared well, not overcooked and was flavorful as well, especially with the pickled ginger on top, which may dissuade people to order this, as it was not a pinch or a few petals, but more of a pluck. The only other issue I had was the slice of pineapple ring. Classic design flaw, as rings are harder to break up without a knife; in this case, it easily slid out like a kid on a playground slide. Maybe crushed pineapples or a pineapple mayonnaise might work better here instead.

Like DanielK said, the weekly dietary fat allowance was probably met here, even without the classic burgers, but the smiles on the service here certainly more than made up for that little fact.

Family outing planned for Bethesda location in an hour or so. I'll post the comments from the peanut crowd when we return. (I can't account for some of their taste buds...they go for strange things sometimes) rolleyes.gif

Well, we had a few mishaps on this visit - and note that the standard of comparison for the group is Counter Burger (the menu and the taste.)

FIL- complained he couldn't "see" the cheese on his burger (he ordered feta) but the temp I guess was OK. His standard of comparison is the burger at Redwood. That's his all time favorite.

MIL-Ahi Tuna, ordered well done, came out like sushi, so she wasn't thrilled.

SIL-said she enjoyed her Cuban very much. I was expecting her not to like it, since she has been so hypercritical about RHB. She claimed initially that she liked the RHB, but now she trashes it because of the bun falling apart.

BIL-ordered Southwestern medium rare but it came out well-done. He said it would've been OK if it had been medium rare as the taste was fine; just disappointing.

Hubby-had the Veggie Burger, which he puts on par with the veggie burger at Counter Burger; Veggie @ Counter Burger gets high marks from everyone.

Mine-I ordered the kids sliders medium rare, without seasoning and with just LT, and sweet fries. I received my burgers with cheese (actually medium, but not bad) with regular fries and LT. I kept the fries, and just had them add parm and rosemary for the difference in price, since they were already on my plate.

Someone came by and asked how thing were, so we mentioned the sushi-like tuna and well-done burger. The response was that there was someone new on the line (no apology - the question was kind of asked on the run as a cursory "duty" instead of wanting to really know how things were.) And while this is not the best location for a group of six*, we managed to squeeze in as we were there on the early side. With both sides of family in the area, we are rarely a group smaller than six, so we probably won't be back unless someone can't make it and we happen to be in the neighborhood. It's too bad that many restaurants aren't set up for a group of this size. GAR come to mind as places we've tried to eat before, but the seating is not geared toward our group which for celebrations, can be as large as 11 or 12, and as small as five or six.

*We get together to eat out quite often, not just for celebrations but just to grab a bite for dinner. It would be nice to find places that could please everyone, that aren't high ticket, "fancy" per my FIL, or chains either. With family in Reston, Bethesda and Wheaton/SS, we are open to a wide variety of areas. One of our standbys is Mi La Cay, but we need some more options! And I know my situation is certainly NOT the norm, having both sides of family so close by.

BGR rocks!! Thanks BGR for the VIP tix to Bon Jovi! Awesome seats and awesome concert!

By the way, went to Dupont last week for lunch and had the turkey burger and reg. fries box lunch set. The turkey burger is the best turkey burger I've ever had. I'm not just saying that because I won the Bon Jovi tix! Fries were perfect as usual. The box set is a great deal! Also, my friend had the asparagus instead of the fries and she loved them so much she's been back already just to get the asparagus! She also had the veggie burger and thought it was one of the best she's ever had. Keep doin what yer doin!!! ;)

BGR is now open in Lyon Village Shopping Cenetr in Arlington. 2 doors down from The infamous Italian Store. We opened on Monday for some trial runs then Tuesday for real. We've added 16 seats to the outside patio that we share with the Italian Store so there's plenty of seating and..................wait for it..................... schollhouse rock playing in the bathrooms! come on out and say hi.

BGR is now open in Lyon Village Shopping Cenetr in Arlington. 2 doors down from The infamous Italian Store. We opened on Monday for some trial runs then Tuesday for real. We've added 16 seats to the outside patio that we share with the Italian Store so there's plenty of seating and..................wait for it..................... schollhouse rock playing in the bathrooms! come on out and say hi.

I noticed this last Thursday on one of my visits to the Italian Store. Very excited! (Although it will be tough to come down and not go to the Italian Store) Thanks for the patio seating. Will come visit soon.

Went to the Dupont Circle location yesterday for a, "eh, my yogurt is almost expired, so I'm going to use that as an excuse to be bad and get a burger" lunch.

When evaluating new burger places, I always opt for the sort of basic, all-American burger before moving on to more complex fare: in this case, "The Burger" (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mojo sauce, and cheddar). For the full experience, I opted for the $8.99 "Box Set," which came with fries and a soda. The burger was well put together, well proportioned, and the individual ingredients very well expressive of what they should be (i.e. the tomato was a very juicy sweet tomato). I thought the quality of the meat (cooked to a precise medium rare) was phenomenal, and definitely the part of the burger experience they got the most "right." The mojo sauce, whatever it is, was a creamy and flavorful accompaniment, if a little conservatively portioned on my particular burger.

The fries were cooked perfectly and just the thickness I like, but woefully under-seasoned. I had to upend a salt shaker on them. I also lamented the lack of condiments: with the sort of "upscale" burger image they're trying to ride on, I sort of expected more than just generic ketchup packets. Rogue States further down Connecticut has a selection of four flavored mayos, and little plastic cups for the "on the go" diner. The argument could be made that the Burger Joint fries were far superior as just fries, but then I would have liked to have seen a better seasoning job.

The staff were... uninformed at best. "Do you want any cheese?" "Sure! What kind of cheese do you have?" "Well, uh... HEY JOEY! Uh, we got, uh, american and ched... uh... what kinda cheeses we got?!?!" And my companion was dismayed to hear that she couldn't add mushrooms to her original burger because, among other things, the mushrooms were only available with the Wellington and it was "pre-mixed." :lol:

One problem I have with all combo meals is that, while I like getting deals on "sandwich and chips" and "burger and fries" and "chalupa and taco," I don't drink most sodas. So I figured I'd try the iced green tea. Not a fan. I'm pretty sure the thing labeled "green tea" was mixed up with the one labelled "over-sweetened iced tea." Also, I'm looking at their website now and see that they have a selection of bottled vintage sodas, which I love, but don't recall seeing at this particular location. :D

Despite all the nitpicking, I will definitely go back. Here's why:

• It's a block from my office (Rogue States is closer, but this is better)
  • The burger was phenomenal
  • There are a lot of great-looking options beyond the basic "The Burger" that I want to try
  • The fries, once properly salted, are great (maybe I'll be a douche and grab some chipotle mayo from Rogue States)
  • Their tables feature, among other things, glass mosaics of the Simpsons

I'll close with just a thought, since I know Mark reads these: maybe offer the mojo sauce as a take out option for french fry dipping?

From ESPN.com

WASHINGTON -- If it wasn't already clear that Stephen Strasburg is the Washington Nationals' biggest star, now he has his own burger.

The restaurant BGR: The Burger Joint, is creating the "Strasburger" to recount the young pitcher's climb. The burger is topped with a hot dog and smothered in aged Vermont cheddar cheese.

The hot dog symbolizes Strasburg's professional debut with the Phoenix Desert Dogs in 2009. It's topped with "Syracuse Orange" aged Vermont cheddar to represent his promotion to Triple-A Syracuse. All that is on top of a BGR patty to signify his new home with the Nationals.

The burger sells for $10.99 through the end of June. BGR will donate $1 from every sale to Children's National Medical Center.

I pass the OT BGR every day on my way to work. Our office picks up lunch from the place right next door to it from time to time even. Somehow, it wasn't on my radar. I'm not a huge meat eater, so for my few burgers a year I've found myself spoiled by Hellburger (although I did have a fresh-ground homemade charcoal-grilled one at a Memorial Day get-together, heavenly!) And by not on my radar, I mean I really didn't know a single thing about it until I read about the Strasburger.

I wasn't too terribly jazzed when a friend suggested that we pick up for our weekly Thursday-night dinner. Read the menu online, decided it sounded good, but I really wasn't expecting anything better than Five Guys (which, to me, is a step above fast food but not by much).

I'll spare the expletives...let's just say that I was wowed. Big time.

I had the ahi. Rare. Pineapple? yup, it worked. hot damn, did I enjoy that sandwich.

Friends had the turkey burger ("I swear, I think I like this better than their regular burger"), and the veggie burger ("I think this is the best veggie burger I've ever had").

My only complaint is that the fries were super-cold by the time we got everything home (Dupont to 16th st Heights - our fault, not theirs!) While I wish they had a Petworth location (seems more plausible than asking the heavens for a Petworth Hellburger, right?), I fear the effect that might have on my waistline.

I was at the Dupont location as well today, but wish my experience had been as good as susanmab's. I had the "White Trash" burger, which was the burger of the month and basically the same thing as the Don Rocks Burger they were serving a couple years back. Not my favorite that I have had here, but it was cooked properly and I happily scarfed it up after a morning of painting out in the hot sun. The fries and Key Lime Pie shake I got with it, however, were terrible disappointments. Half of the fries were cooked into submission and left on teh plate and the shake was not worth the calories, both watery and lacking in true key lime flavor. I can't believe this is the same restaurant that served me a revelatory Pumpkin Pie shake a couple years back that was easily among the 5 best I have ever had.

Hopefully it was an anomaly, the place was jammed when I was in there and maybe they rushed some of the offerings.

I do not think these onion rings get enough love. They are more than ample in size. They are decidedly non-greasy. When you bite into them, the onion is substantial and does not pull out of the batter the way some others tend to do. When they are served none of them are stuck together. Where else do they do it any better?

The Ahi Tuna burger was a very nice sandwich. Now, if they could only find a bun that will hold up to the hamburger juices a little better.

The Spout Run location appeared to be doing a brisk business at lunch yesterday. Good for them.

Dupont location.

The "Southwester" is a lovely melange of flavors, but its texture is closer to a sloppy joe than it is to a burger, so it's not a good way for a first-timer to evaluate the place. Fries are excellent, though some of them were longer than any Yukon Gold potato I've ever seen.

Carryout from BGR for dinner tonight. It was our first try and we liked it. Not perfect but it deserves a return trip.

It was Fri evening so I think they were a bit busy and thus placing my order over the phone was a bit more frenetic than it probably needed to be. Picking up the order was a bit harried as well. I think they had just dealt with a big rush, to be fair, but the whole ordering/pickup process could be better organized. Some simple signage would help alot.

Onto the food: my wife and I both ordered veggie burgers and my daughter got regular burger sliders. Sides of fries, sweet potato fries, and grilled asparagus. Overall, the veggie burgers were quite good. Made with black beans, oats, molasses and other stuff, they have great texture. They get a nice char on the outside, maybe from the molasses caramelizing, and that makes it different and better than any other veggie burger I have ever tried. The burger did fall apart a bit when eating it but that's pretty typical and not a big deal. The bun was fresh and flavorful, pickles were crisp, and the mojo sauce was great - kinda like barbecue sauce with a little kick of heat at the end. Sweet potato fries and Yukon Gold fries were good as well. The YG fries were crispier but they usually are. The sweet potato fries were well seasoned and tasted sweet potato-y. My daughter's sliders were served with cheese on mini potato rolls and got a good reception.

Overall, the food made this a good experience. Service could be a bit better but I think that's explained away for the reasons stated above and because this place is still pretty young. We'll be back.

Dupont location.

The "Southwester" is a lovely melange of flavors, but its texture is closer to a sloppy joe than it is to a burger, so it's not a good way for a first-timer to evaluate the place. Fries are excellent, though some of them were longer than any Yukon Gold potato I've ever seen.

That's what I had today & I thought it was delicious. The onions rings were OK; they were thicker than I prefer and somewhat greasy. Fries were great though, especially when they were hot.

This is a dangerous place to have 4 blocks from work, but the relatively high price tag will keep my visits to once a month or so. "Southwestern," onion rings, and an iced tea cost me $17. Their $8.99 "lunch box" deal (burger, fries, soda) is a little more reasonable.

We have gone several times (at least 4.) While I like the burgers (especailly the tuna), the sweet potato fries and the lunch box deal, the service issues are just too much and I doubt I will go back. We have never had an order processed correctly and the staff has never taken it upon themselves to correct anything. On Friday, two orders were totally mixed up (cheese not on the right one, toppings wrong on both) and the burgers were really salty, and one order never came and then our friend got some attitude from the staff when this was pointed out (the burger was prepared then but the sides were never put out even thought everyone else was getting their order of the same things and our friend stood at the counter waiting and explaining.) He did get his money back but had to take the initiative himself. While many of the tables were taken, it was not packed and there was no line to order. The table beside ours had many of the same issues and our discussion evolved into the fact that we had each considered going to Ray's and next time that will be our choice.

Spout Run: How many times a day do you ask patrons to put the pager in the basket that has the sign that asks the patrons to put the pager in the basket? The several times I went, no one seemed to be able to navigate the concept.