A. Kirchmayr, Deereco Road in Timonium

If you are ever in Baltimore look up Albert Kirchmayr. He used to be in a tiny, almost invisible from the street, brick building next to where the Eddie's supermarket is on N. Charles St. just across the city/county line; I think he moved to Towson somewhere after he expanded. The old place was literally a shack. The "line" would be out the door if there were more than 2 people in it!

These are the real deal, hand-made European chocolates and truffles. My mother used to get custom chocolate bowls from him for desserts at dinner parties.

You can get them boxed at various places in Baltimore (Belvedere Market comes to mind), but I would strongly suggest heading to the source; never know how long the boxes have been sitting around. I haven't had any in a few years, and it looks like he's doing a lot more corporate work, so hopefully the quality hasn't suffered. Seriously some of the best domestic chocolates I've had.

Edit: link for A. Kirchmayr Chocolatier. You used to be able to hand pick your assortments at the shop, don't know if that is true anymore

Edited by DonRocks

Some of my favorite specialty chocolates aside from Kee's in NYC. I think they're far superior than those famous ones in the gold boxes. I'm more partial towards the truffles than the chocolates. Creamy, smooth and well-blended. No unusual flavors, just really good chocolate to start with. Aside from making the trip to Timonium or ordering online, I've gotten them at The Wine Source. One of my favorite host/hostess gifts, when I was living near to the city.

If you are ever in Baltimore look up Albert Kirchmayr. He used to be in a tiny, almost invisible from the street, brick building next to where the Eddie's supermarket is on N. Charles St. just across the city/county line; I think he moved to Towson somewhere after he expanded. The old place was literally a shack. The "line" would be out the door if there were more than 2 people in it!

These are the real deal, hand-made European chocolates and truffles. My mother used to get custom chocolate bowls from him for desserts at dinner parties.

You can get them boxed at various places in Baltimore (Belvedere Market comes to mind), but I would strongly suggest heading to the source; never know how long the boxes have been sitting around. I haven't had any in a few years, and it looks like he's doing a lot more corporate work, so hopefully the quality hasn't suffered. Seriously some of the best domestic chocolates I've had.

Edit: link for A. Kirchmayr Chocolatier. You used to be able to hand pick your assortments at the shop, don't know if that is true anymore

Kirchmayr has moved to Timonium, in an industrial strip mall right off 83. In the summer, his chocolate covered strawberries are worth waiting in line for! But get there early, they usually go on sale on Saturday morning and are out by Noon.