Thai Restaurant Week

The Royal Thai Embassy’s Office of Commercial Affairs is pleased to announce Thai Restaurant Week April 13-19 during Thai New Year (Songkran). Throughout the week, 20 Washington, DC-area Thai restaurants will feature special menus, entertainment, prizes and a complementary assortment of mangoes, mangosteens, lychees, rambutans, pineapples, and longans – served fresh from Thailand for the first time.

http://oca.thaiembdc.org/restaurantweek.htm

The mangosteens make this event totally worth it. So delicious.

... and a complementary assortment of mangoes, mangosteens, lychees, rambutans, pineapples, and longans – served fresh from Thailand for the first time.

...the mangosteens make this event totally worth it. So delicious.

Whoa...I thought it had been illegal to import fresh mangosteens to the US. So our long national drought is finally over? This is great news!

Whoa...I thought it had been illegal to import fresh mangosteens to the US. So our long national drought is finally over? This is great news!
The imported fruits from Thailand are irradiated before coming into this country. So they found a way to work it out. The first ones came in I think late last year, but it was near the end of the season. So I guess they are ratcheting up to promote the fruit this year. From what they were telling me they're going to keep the volume relatively low to ensure higher quality. Because there was a time when Fuji apples used to not suck.

Went to Born in Vienna, VA for lunch- they served us Rambutans, Longans, and Mangosteens.

I loved the Mangosteens- they were delicious- looks like a garlic bulb, but tastes like a cross between and orange and a lychee.

It was my first time trying Longans as well- enjoyed these as well.

Pics