Foundation, Center and Battle Street in Manassas - Closed

Has anyone dined at this restaurant yet? I noticed it made Northern Virginia magazines Top 25. I tried dining there when it first opened, the place was empty, so Bob and I walked in. We were told only reservations were taken. We were susprised but agreed to eat at the "casual" sister next door, Okra's. The owner/manager came by and chatted with us and tried to explain his concept for fine dining. He gave us the website address for the restaurant. He seemed very arrogant without much knowledge. I mentioned a few restaurants in DC while speaking and he was clueless. Upon returning home and checking out the website, I was flabbergasted that he gave instructions on how to dress while dining at the "fine dining" restaurant. I imagine that is why we were denied dinner as we were not dressed accordingly, we had jeans and casual jackets.

I am hoping that he has matured in the industry and someone has been there.....

BTW, the meal at his "casual" place was a true "jambalaya" of opposing flavors. There was no harmony whatsover.

Has anyone dined at this restaurant yet? I noticed it made Northern Virginia magazines Top 25. I tried dining there when it first opened, the place was empty, so Bob and I walked in. We were told only reservations were taken. We were susprised but agreed to eat at the "casual" sister next door, Okra's. The owner/manager came by and chatted with us and tried to explain his concept for fine dining. He gave us the website address for the restaurant. He seemed very arrogant without much knowledge. I mentioned a few restaurants in DC while speaking and he was clueless. Upon returning home and checking out the website, I was flabbergasted that he gave instructions on how to dress while dining at the "fine dining" restaurant. I imagine that is why we were denied dinner as we were not dressed accordingly, we had jeans and casual jackets.

I am hoping that he has matured in the industry and someone has been there.....

BTW, the meal at his "casual" place was a true "jambalaya" of opposing flavors. There was no harmony whatsover.

After reading Warren Rojas's glowing writeup of this place in Northern Virginia mag -- Warren generally knows what he's talking about -- I went to the Web site and found it very off-putting, and that's without even noticing the dress tips. I suspect this clown will fall flat on his face.

To be fair, he has removed the references to his dress code from the website. That is why I question whether the restaurant has "matured". Jake, have you been?

Edited to add:

Also, the chef when I visited was not the same one they have now, Woods? It has been almost two years...

Never even knew Foundation existed but I have eaten at Okra's for lunch a couple of times and thought it was OK. I find myself in Manassas once or twice a month on business around lunch time and so far the only complaint is that it is a little more leisurely than I prefer, even when I tell the wait person that I am on my lunch break and need to get back to work soon.

Nowhere near as good as real Louisiana cooking but the best of the imitations as far as my experience goes (still haven't tried Acadiana).