Boccato Gelato - Old Town Location Has Closed, Clarendon Location Is Moving

I spoke to one of the very enthusiastic owners yesterdayand he said they should be up and running in two weeks or so. He told me that they would be carrying some exotic flavors, a lot of sorbets, and very high-end coffee. I am very excited for this addition to the neighborhood!!

They've opened, though I don't know how long ago. I'm happy this place is around too especially with Lazy Sundae and Ben & Jerry's gone from Clarendon. I enjoyed my orange pineapple gelato which was dense and creamy though I had one bite that was icy. They offer a number of flavors (I remember cake batter, lucuma, green apple, oreo biscotti, mango, pomegranate). The staff was friendly and offered tastes.

DS & I enjoyed a small gelato serving (2 scoops at $3.75, tax included) of apricot and lucuma today. I really enjoy the refreshing taste of the apricot, which was a good contrast to a creamier, richer taste of the lucuma. DS didn't complain about either flavor. :lol:

The only downside was that it was served in a cup that equals the size of those sauce containers given in carry-outs, so I had to be very careful scooping it out.

FYI, there's no seating inside, and only about 3 benches (with 1 of them being very, very, low to the ground) outside. I guess they expected more to-go customers.

Also, it was warm inside today, with just a big fan going. I don't know if it's the norm, but just posting my observations.

FYI, there's no seating inside, and only about 3 benches (with 1 of them being very, very, low to the ground) outside. I guess they expected more to-go customers.

When we were there a couple of weeks ago, there was a little note above that very low bench that indicated it was for kids only.

I like their location, attached to the El Chapparel market. You can have a little gelato and then pick up some freshly made chorizo.

Stopped by after a disappointing visit to Minh's - recommended as while they were out of many of the flavors (it was just before the 11pm closing time) what they did have was about 15 fruit flavors most will have seen rarely, if at all - such as lúcuma.

Had the lucuma last night, which I've been searching for ever since my trip to Chile last year - it was good but not the same as what I had in Chile. This one wasn't as rich (not in the creamy kind of way, but the flavor itself), and had an odd coffee essence to it. But I had a nice chat with the owner - he is working on getting chile moya flavor too, and is experimenting with lucuma meringues . . . .

Stopped by the other night with my wife and daughter. Little M loved the chocolate/banana gelato and was very happy with the low bench out front for people her size. I had the oreo biscotti and the cake batter gelato flavors and they were good, if maybe just a touch too sweet for my taste. My wife had a pink herbal sorbetto (cilantro, maybe?) and she was happy with it.

I think the place is quaint and fun (and the staff was upbeat and extremely polite & engaging), but I HATE the tiny cups the gelato is served in. They are 3 ounce to-go ramekins that we restaurant folk use to send carryout sides of salad dressings and condiments! It was really annoying to eat of the tiny cup and because it melted and overflowed so quickly, it wasn't an option to enjoy the treat on the car ride home. We had no other option than to stand on the sidewalk and eat.

Next time I go (and there definitely will be plenty of "next time" trips), I am bringing a bowl from home.

I like their location, attached to the El Chapparel market. You can have a little gelato and then pick up some freshly made chorizo.
I had the same thought today - my first time in so I hadn't realized the space opened right into the market.

A small with a scoop each of pomegranate mint and carambola hit the spot on the warm walk back to Courthouse from the Clarendon market. The pretty pink pomegranate mint had that 'seedy' tang of fresh pomegranate with a subtle hint of mint. The carambola was described as lime and kiwi - not sure if it was actually star fruit and lime - but it was green and very citrus-y and refreshing. I also had a taste of the watermelon - tasted like a bite from a just-cut wedge, minus the seeds :lol:

Could not resist going there today on such a hot and sunny day. They have "normal" sized cups for the small portions now, so you don't have to worry about tiny cups anymore. :lol:

The coffee bar was built, with an espresso machine and two grinders, but they still need to finish the bar area itself. Looks like it's coming along nicely though.

I've wandered by a couple times now. I didn't try the ice cream, but the coffee service is top notch. They've got a two group synesso machine and a pour-over bar. It's obvious that they really care a great deal about the quality of the coffee. I haven't yet been by at a decent time to linger and find out what they're serving, but it's definitely freshly roasted and was impeccably prepared both times. Even the younger barista (who appeared to be a high school student...) had clearly been very, very well-trained.

This place is worth a visit just for the coffee. The shots were sweet and a nice departure from the CC Toscano everyone seems to be serving lately :). Though the lack of seating means it is not socially the equal of a real coffee shop, the java is the equal of anyone else in the neighborhood and better than most. Also, it's cash only, but tax is figured into the prices already.

Can't believe I went all of last summer and half of this one without getting to Boccato. I tried it for the first time on Monday and have already made a return trip. The first time I had a single scoop of some sort of cookies & cream gelato. For the return trip it was two scoops of sorbet, mojito and pomegranate mint. The Boyfriend has tried the chocolate coffee flavor (wouldn't that be mocha?) and an affogotto with chocolate hazelnut. The mocha was delicious. I can't comment on the affogotto since he wouldn't share; so I'm assuming it was good.

We have been going here since it first opened. I like Dolcezza better, but it's nice to have such a quality place nearby. Went back recently and had peanut butter brownie and blood orange. Both were very good. Blood orange was really refreshing and sweet, but not too sweet. Peanut butter brownie was a really good mix of the two flavors. I love both peanut butter and brownies and have a bad sweet tooth so it really hit the spot. When we went on a Friday night around 8:30 the line when we got there was a few people but quickly grew to the end of the block. I am glad to see them doing well they try to have really good creative flavors.

I like Dolcezza better, but it's nice to have such a quality place nearby.

These echo my sentiments - Dolcezza is at a much higher level, but Boccato isn't bad if you're in the area looking for something cold and creamy. Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Mint Oreo ($4.25 each) were both a little too dense, a little too cold, and not particularly distinctive. I wouldn't order either flavor again, but the Dulce de Leche came across as particularly bland.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I was pretty excited to see that Boccato Gelato is coming to Old Town. There's a notice in a door along King Street, though it looks like they didn't meet the April 1 opening mentioned in this blurb. Nice to see an opening on King Street after a series of store closings over the last couple of months.

Me again...I took a walk to the Old Town location a few nights ago. They've done a great job with the space, though there was still an odor of fresh varnish/paint in the air. There's a large selection of flavors - I enjoyed the Basil Pineapple and the Ferrero Rocher. The seating area is pleasant, not too big, but a nice spot to hang out and enjoy a coffee or a gelato for a bit. They're open early (7am, I believe) and have a full coffee/espresso set-up.

Signage isn't up, but they're in the same block as Hank's, Alexandria Cupcake, and Chinoiserie (which has a fantastic selection of tableware - vintage and contemporary).

7 hours ago, dcs said:

Boccato Gelato Planning to Leave Clarendon Location, Relocate Elsewhere, by Alex Koma  May 21, 2018, on ARLnow.com.

Screenshot 2018-05-21 at 23.23.18.png

This most likely speaks more about the development of Clarendon (and corresponding rent increases) than anything else.

Ironically, the very things that caused people to move to Clarendon are disappearing have disappeared.

• Like 1

We were big fans and will really miss them (and will seek out their new location, hoping they won't go too far). They had interesting flavors (lucuma!) and good variety.

On warm evenings, there were always happy people outside the shop eating gelato, including folks on benches and children in child-size chairs Boccato had out there. Always put me in a good mood walking by (and getting gelato there was a favorite way to end an evening).

They were good neighbors to the neighborhood, too. 

On 5/22/2018 at 4:15 PM, Genevieve said:

We were big fans and will really miss them (and will seek out their new location, hoping they won't go too far). They had interesting flavors (lucuma!) and good variety.

On warm evenings, there were always happy people outside the shop eating gelato, including folks on benches and children in child-size chairs Boccato had out there. Always put me in a good mood walking by (and getting gelato there was a favorite way to end an evening).

They were good neighbors to the neighborhood, too. 

The Co Work Cafe/. Who co-occupied the space w/ Boccato Gelato have expanded and are providing gelato and other goodies.  I was told the gelato provider is the same as boccato used.

Maybe.  It’s gelato.  The dark chocolate was good on a hot steamy day