14K, 14th & K Streets NW

14K. Surprised myself that I didn't automatically order a burger. Instead, on two separate occasions: crab cake; mussels. Not bad. But, I need to remember not to order mussels out at restaurants. I should just save my money on that one: they are a better value when self prepared. Besides: mussels are so cheap and easy to prepare... and they always taste better... at home.

What an original name ... on all fronts...

The previous menu listed a 14K burger. I studied the menu for a good 5 minutes before I realized the burger wouldn't be garnished with edible gold flakes. Although I did think it was an interesting concept.

14K Restaurant and Lounge web site.

The previous menu listed a 14K burger. I studied the menu for a good 5 minutes before I realized the burger wouldn't be garnished with edible gold flakes. Although I did think it was an interesting concept.

14K Restaurant and Lounge web site.

And this from the web site:

One of Washington DC's Best Restaurants.

The 14K Restaurant is recognized as one of the best Restaurants in all of Washington, DC....

The 14K Restaurant is regarded by many as "The Place to Meet" in Washington DC...

I love how they do not provide any references.

And this from the web site:

I love how they do not provide any references.

if you must eat at 14K -- and we do a lot because I work on the block -- the Lightning Calamari Salad is very good and big enough to serve as an entree for most people. For $11 it's a great value.

Otherwise, the place is very meh.

I’m a 14K regular and would like to report some changes: the space has been renovated and a happy hour has been instituted. From 5 to 7PM the bar menu and drinks are half price. Rob and Jose, who staff the bar, are very attentive.

As for food, I am only familiar with the bar menu. The flat bread, for a long time, was tomato-basil and as one would expect, it was fantastic in the late summer but bland otherwise. The flat bread now changes daily and last-week’s salmon flatbread with sweet onions was quite nice.

The cheese-plate changes as well. I always enjoy it although I’m not really that into cheese. They pair four with fruit and nuts. Wednesday was a goat, brie, gouda, and one I did not recognize with cashews, strawberries (bland), grapes (good/red), and some figs (really good, small, not too sweet).

I have eaten many burgers there are they are good, though overpriced. The mac-n-cheese is super creamy and not overly “cheesey.” I really like it although I’m not that into mac-n-cheese.

If memory serves, their sliders have that butter-flavored crap on them and their crab-cakes are good but small.

I go for the relaxed atmosphere, good snacks, and great service.

Last night I was informed that Happy Hour specials had changed and now only the House wine is on special during hh (and all beer and all rail drinks). The bar menu is still half off. I had the best crab cake served with slaw on the side. Yummy. It was different that my last crab cake...larger, more crab.