Cafe des Artistes, at the Corcoran Gallery of Art

Brunch today at Café des Artistes at the Corcoran. It had been quite a while since I'd been there. We were in line promptly at 10:30, when it opened, and quite a number of people arrived right about the same time. I'm not a fan of buffets and probably should have gotten the sandwich on the a la carte menu that appealed to me rather than the buffet. Despite the fact that we were there right at the beginning, most of the food on the buffet was cold or coolish. The warmest foods were just warm.

My friend, however, loved the brunch buffet and went back for several refills, including a trip to the waffle station. She got a big Belgian waffle with all (or most) of the trimmings. Buffet included mini buttermilk biscuits (warm, pretty good), bread assortment (raisin bread slice--ok, very cold), fruit (probably the best value--lots of good berries), cheese and something souffle (good according to my friend, and warm), scrambled eggs with bits of veggies (pretty good, and sort of warm), potatoes with peppers and maybe onions? (ok), cheese grits (thin and not too flavorful), and sausage and bacon (buffet-like). Service was good and the coffee was fine. Tab was $38-something pre-tip.

A receipt from the brunch gets you $2 off the admission price for the special exhibition (The American Evolution: A History Through Art). We enjoyed that and the exhibition on California, which closes the 14th.