Terry Theise Dinner at Equinox

DonRocks

I had dinner with Terry last night, and he mentioned this dinner next Tuesday night - I told him I'd be more than happy to post about it here. Enjoy!

post-2-1207940370_thumb.jpg

Equinox's Spring "Theises"

The movement of the earth during the vernal equinox welcomes in days that are lighter, longer, and a little bit warmer, subtly suggesting that the meals of the season follow suit.

On April 15th at 7:00 pm, indulge in a tax-free dining experience with Chef Todd Gray and wine guru Terry Theise. There is no better time to enjoy an inspired culinary feast from the collaboration of these two gastronomic masterminds as you dive into spring.

Menu

Todd's little sips and bites upon arrival

Simo's Spring Cocktail Infusion

First Course

Gnocchi of Wild Nettles and Yukon Gold Potatoes with a Morel Mushroom Cream, Haricot Tempura and a Pecorino Cracker

2006 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Senftenberger Piri

Fish Course

Spinach Crusted Wild Maryland Rockfish with Gingered Carrot Coulis, Pickled Ramps,and Burgundy Escargot

2006 Prieler Leithaberg Weiss (Pinot Blanc)

Meat Course

Roasted Saddle of Jameson Farm Lamb with Sweet Onion Broth, Mustard Cured Tenderloin and Chive Flowers

2005 Glatzer Zweigelt "Dornenvogel" (Pinot Noir)

Dessert Course

Early Spring Rhubarb Soup with Fromage Blanc Quenelle, Dried Iranian White Figs and Orange Poppy Seed Tuille

Heidi Shrock 2004 Ausbruch

$110.00 tax free, plus gratuity

Menu

Todd's little sips and bites upon arrival

Simo's Spring Cocktail Infusion

First Course

Gnocchi of Wild Nettles and Yukon Gold Potatoes with a Morel Mushroom Cream, Haricot Tempura and a Pecorino Cracker

2006 Nigl Grüner Veltliner Senftenberger Piri

Fish Course

Spinach Crusted Wild Maryland Rockfish with Gingered Carrot Coulis, Pickled Ramps,and Burgundy Escargot

2006 Prieler Leithaberg Weiss (Pinot Blanc)

Meat Course

Roasted Saddle of Jameson Farm Lamb with Sweet Onion Broth, Mustard Cured Tenderloin and Chive Flowers

2005 Glatzer Zweigelt "Dornenvogel" (Pinot Noir)

Dessert Course

Early Spring Rhubarb Soup with Fromage Blanc Quenelle, Dried Iranian White Figs and Orange Poppy Seed Tuille

Heidi Shrock 2004 Ausbruch

$110.00 tax free, plus gratuity

It all sounds delicious. I find it interesting how many of the courses include a soupy or brothy element.

Instant flashback to my yout'-- White Fang, Black Tooth and Pooky. Shaving cream pie in the face every day after school. I'll drink a gru-vee "Thiese-y" toast to that!

Live with a Doberman, and you can hear White Fang and Black Tooth every day. It's just uncanny! I remember those two and the pies, but can't remember Pooky.

This was a seriously delicious dinner.

Todd Gray and Terry Theise - two of my very favorite people in the whole world, joining their talents and what a showcase.

Every dish was splendid, but that first course was my standout favorite.

The wines, the wines. How I loved the wines. Nigl is, to me, the undisputed master of Grüner-Veltliner, the one grower who I believe is indispensable for that varietal.

Oddly enough, the most exciting wine/food pairing of the night was the Zweigelt with the rosemary crispy bread on the table. Terry pointed this out, and it really was special. Quite by accident, of course, but a serendipitous occurance.