Szechuan House, Lutherville

Today was the second time my family ate at Szechuan House in the past month. It is considered one of the better Chinese restaurants in the Baltimore area. We started with a seafood soup, chock full of crab meat, lobster claw meat, and shrimp. Hints of white pepper and mushroom in the broth. It didn't quite have the savoriness that comes from MSG, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The orange chicken, though not authentic, is tasty with a smoky flavor from frying up the hot peppers in the oil first. They also gave us an off-menu special of braised pork shoulder - fatty, meaty and rich all at the same time. Apparently they had made it for a menu for the Walters Art Gallery folks. Firm, fresh salt and pepper shrimp was tasty, though could have used a little more black pepper and maybe a touch more of jalapeno. The Peking duck seems to be very popular, and the sauce is different from the usual plum sauce I've seen everywhere else. (They gave my dad two carcasses to take home for broth, so he was very happy.)

An odd fact is they have Japanese toilet seats - the ones that heat up, and spray and dry you. I think only the heating function works on them now, not that I am too keen on trying a public toilet with a bidet. Ick. But fascinating nonetheless.

The key to eating here is to order most items off the Country Side Taste Menu.

One of my favs is the Wuu Geng Niou Naan- delicious beef, slow cooked with tendon, daikon and tofu.

I love their sea bass when they have it- it's so nice and fatty.

My parents sometimes get the duck carcass, too when they eat here. It's the Chinese connection. . .

pics

Szechuan House is so reasonably priced! I am use to paying $50-$70 (we don't do Chinese a lot) for dinner for two and both times I've eaten at Szechuan House our check was under $25. Amazing. The Waitresses and other staff were so polite and helpful. The food was not Tersiguels, but it was above average.

We ate at Cafe Zen recently - they claim to be a little more healthy then typical Chinese because they don't use MSGs. I really loved it and my Fiance enjoyed her dish as well, but she told me the restaurant looks sort old and worn. I think I can talk her into going back for another try.

Had dinner here last night with the folks- we noticed they have a late night menu now with small plates, congee, and noodle dishes.

Their congee with preserved duck egg is pretty great. My dad said that the Cantonese know how to make their congee.

I'm also a fan of their bitter melon with pork and loads of black beans - it's cooked so that it's actually not that bitter.

Szechuan House is our go-to Chinese restaurant, particularly because they deliver. Can't beat the bargain of $2.50 for a quart of won ton soup!

I like to order from the "country side taste" part of the menu, even if half of the entries contain the forbidding word "intestines."