Morels

On a more positive note, morels were being sold for only $10 a box. It was probably just due to the dismal weather and fact that very few shoppers bothered to show up. The Mushroom Lady (? name? ) said she didn't want to cart any of the morels back home. (A molly-gatherer brought them to her; apparently she doesn't forage herself.)

She also said morels should make an appearance until June, but they're the first to sell out. Who knows if there will be a surplus :blink: after the weather we've been having--and perhaps another lowered price.

On a more positive note, morels were being sold for only $10 a box. It was probably just due to the dismal weather and fact that very few shoppers bothered to show up. The Mushroom Lady (? name? ) said she didn't want to cart any of the morels back home. (A molly-gatherer brought them to her; apparently she doesn't forage herself.)

She also said morels should make an appearance until June, but they're the first to sell out. Who knows if there will be a surplus ;) after the weather we've been having--and perhaps another lowered price.

In fact, we knocked back two boxes of half-priced morels last night, sauteed with shallots and gralic and sauced with a little rich stock and reduced cream. Mrs B. made large squares of rustic pasta to accompany the fungus and the children helped out by refusing to eat anything as funny-looking as a morel (hard to believe they're teenagers, some time), meaning that there were more for us. Tasted even better than full-priced version. :blink:

PS: Last week d'Artagnan was advertising morels at $150/three-pound order.

Just a wee bit of garlic, WM & Mrs B? That sounds fantastic!

I confess I bought my first box ever and was planning on picking up some light cream to do something similar with half of my stash and some dough in the freezer.

Ann Yonkers recommended something Peter Smith prepared for a chef demo recently: morels simply sauted in butter, served with baby turnips. I am planning to do that tonight, braising or parboiling the latter.