Portable Induction Burners?

jpschust

We're going to be remodeling a kitchen in a house we're buying, and we're going to be without most appliances for probably about 2-3 months. (It's a full gut and remodel complete with moving electrical, walls, plumbing, etc.). Thus, we're thinking of picking up 1-2 portable induction burners which we'd love to have anyways.

Does anyone have a view on one induction burner versus another?

We're going to be remodeling a kitchen in a house we're buying, and we're going to be without most appliances for probably about 2-3 months. (It's a full gut and remodel complete with moving electrical, walls, plumbing, etc.). Thus, we're thinking of picking up 1-2 portable induction burners which we'd love to have anyways.

Does anyone have a view on one induction burner versus another?

Get a Sunpentown "Mr Induction". You can probably find one online for about $100-$125. We use them here at the shop and they work very well. Keep in mind, that you have to use a stainless steel pot/pan with induction. Good luck.

J

you have to use a stainless steel pot/pan with induction. Good luck.
This is not correct. You have to use a pan with a base that a magnet will stick to. This would include all cast-iron (including enameled) and carbon-steel pans, but only some stainless-steel pans will work on an induction hob. As I understand it, if the exterior of a pan is 18/8 or 18/10 stainless steel, meaning that 8 or 10 percent of the alloy is nickel, then the pan will not work on an induction cooktop. If it's 18/0 stainless, meaning no nickel, it will work. Disclaimer: I've never used an induction cooktop myself, and may not know what I'm talking about.

I recently replaced my old electric range with an induction one and the results have been better than I expected – a large pasta pot filled with water came to a boil in about 8 minutes, this same pot used to take well over 20 minutes on the old range, and even on my mother-in-law’s Wolf it took well over 15. I like the instantaneous reaction of the burner to adjustments, and each burner has at least 20 temperature settings for accuracy. I always wanted a nice big gas range, but after using this, that would be a hard sell. The only drawback came from having to replace a few pots and pans that would not work on it – but luckily the William Sonoma Outlet was having a 50% off on All Clad last weekend.