Breakfast in Vienna/Falls Church?

Skysplitter

Despite the fact I've lived in Falls Church and/or McLean for almost two years, I haven't really found a good breakfast place (this may or may not be due to the fact that I haven't really looked either...) When I lived in Wheaton, there was Nick's Diner, the Royal Mile, and even the Austin Grill when in a pinch (and others I'm forgetting, I'm sure). I know there's the Original Pancake on Washington St, but what else am I missing? My dream breakfast usually consists of blueberry pancakes, crispy bacon, hashbrowns and bottomless coffee. Occasionally I switch out for the omelette experience.

Any ideas for the Falls Church/Vienna/Fairfax area? I'm always willing to travel farther in the NoVa area if there is someplace I simply must go to of course ;)

Despite the fact I've lived in Falls Church and/or McLean for almost two years, I haven't really found a good breakfast place (this may or may not be due to the fact that I haven't really looked either...) When I lived in Wheaton, there was Nick's Diner, the Royal Mile, and even the Austin Grill when in a pinch (and others I'm forgetting, I'm sure). I know there's the Original Pancake on Washington St, but what else am I missing? My dream breakfast usually consists of blueberry pancakes, crispy bacon, hashbrowns and bottomless coffee. Occasionally I switch out for the omelette experience.

Any ideas for the Falls Church/Vienna/Fairfax area? I'm always willing to travel farther in the NoVa area if there is someplace I simply must go to of course ;)

Since you mentioned McLean, have you tried the McLean Family Restaurant on Chain Bridge Road? It seems to fit your description. It has always had a crowd when I have been there for breakfast so it must be doing something right. A good diner experience in an otherwise bland strip mall environment that is the signature of McLean.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...&id=1124419

The Vienna Inn may be what you are looking for. It definitely qualifies for Greasy Spoon status. I have had decent pancakes and bacon there, as well as bottomless coffee (because you have to get it yourself).

Has anybody been to the Virginian Restaurant in Vienna? They serve breakfast all day. Looks like it could be a good breakfast spot.

N.B. The Original Pancake House in FC is on W. Broad St.

There's not many better breakfast values than the breakfast burritos at Anita's. Their coffee is not bad, too.

I still haven't tried it yet, but Dominion Restaurant has replaced Corkie's in Chesterbrook Shopping Center (I think Corkie herself may still have her hand in this, but I'm not sure). If you click on "breakfast" you'll see it pretty much fits the bill, and they open at 8 AM.

I had breakfast several years ago at the ancient Brinkley's Family Restaurant in Falls Church, and thought it was dingy and grim - McLean Family Restaurant is more modern, but also feels strangely sterile to me. I've had passable huevos ranchers at El Zunzal in the past (right next to the Falls Church Crisp and Juicy). I still haven't tried the Original Pancake House in Falls Church.

Back when it first opened in Tysons Corner, I actually enjoyed the breakfasts at Corner Bakery very much - no longer. I suspect any of the hotels in Tysons can do an omelette, but that may not be what you're looking for.

Heading West on Route 7, you have Tysons Corner Bagel Market on your left, and I really can't think of much else before the toll road, although remember that Woo Lae Oak does serve (very, very Korean) breakfasts starting at 7 AM, seven days a week, I believe.

Heading up Route 123 I can think of the perennially overrated Anita's, the don't-even-bother-to-rate Amphora, but there are also a bunch of little ethnic places dotting that road. If I were feeling adventurous, I'd head South on Route 123 through Vienna, craning my head left-and-right, looking for a place that "feels right" to me, then walk up and peek at the menu before committing. And don't forget Jammin Java for coffee!

Cheers,

Rocks.

Because my memory is atrocious, I've kept forgetting to post about the few places I visited. I'm looking forward to visiting the rest :lol:

First off- Original Pancake House on Broad st. I ended up going here with a coworker for a late lunch, intending to eat, well, lunch. But when you're a pancake house and can smell pancakes, it is difficult to resist the lure. So we didn't! Pancakes (mine- blueberry, hers- banana nut) were good, not great. The home fries needed some salt, but were otherwise also pretty good. I'd probably end up back here just for a change in the lunch routine, which consists mostly of Super Chicken, Elevation Burger, Lost Dog and Argia's, but only because I'm tired of the rest.

And second, Dominion Restaurant, which does still have the Corkie's sign lit up when you go in. I didn't get a chance to quiz the waitress on the changeover, but it certainly seemed as nothing had changed there, including the waitress :lol: My friend got some sort of omelette and homefries, both of which were very tasty, and I got the "lemon poppyseed french toast" which is exactly what it sounds like- slabs of poppyseed bread, dunked in an egg wash and fried up. The cup of Smuckers Maple Syrup was entirely unnecessary, and it reminded me mostly of the muffin fry-ups my dad would do when I was a kid, but it was unexpected and yummy. Oh, yes, and we got the beignets to start out with (who can resist a beignet?!) and while not as good as my beloved beignets from Duck Fat up in Portland, ME, they were pretty good for being down the street!

On a related note, although it did not come up in this posting, there is a hole in the wall bagel place on Route 7 with the Giant/Staples/CVS in Falls Church, which I think is actually called Bagels Deli & Donuts. The highlight of this place is the freshly made breakfast bagel sandwiches, including crispy bacon. I can't say that I love the bagels, a bit too, er, bready, for lack of good adjective, but a freshly fried egg and bacon with cheddar cheese more than makes up for it. I haven't tried the doughnuts either, but they've sat there, tempting me the few times I've been in. They also have a sign up that says they do uber-cheap breakfast combos with pancakes, eggs cooked in a few ways and the requisite sausage or bacon, but I have yet to try it.

Thanks for the tips on the other restaurants. If I manage to wake myself up early next weekend, perhaps I shall give them a shot. Can anyone say pancake-off?

While technically Arlington Linda's should be close enough to Falls Church to qualify. I implore you to avoid the mashed potatoes at all cost unless you have a thing for the instant flavor (which I don't). The egg based breakfasts are very good, I have not had the pancakes, but they look decent.

Almost hate to tell anyone else about it, but the PanAm Restaurant in the Pan Am shopping center in Fairfax has a great weekend breakfast/brunch. Its off of Nutley and Lee Hwy near the Safeway and CVS. They do a good job on their waffles, eggs, and various pork products. Its usually packed and surprisingly they have a really good eggs benedict. Am hoping to try the biscuits and gravy next time we visit.