Hello Cupcake, Owner Penny Karas on Connecticut Avenue in South Dupont Circle - Barracks Row Location Has Come And Gone - Closed

I have had a few hit or miss flavors from Hello Cupcake, but their fall flavor (I think only around until the end of September?) is AMAZING!

Warm and spicy apple cake, topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting, and a drizzle of our homemade caramel

I had one last week and one this week. Dangerous to work a block away!

Cupcakes seem especially prone to differences of opinion since they arouse passions and have a few key variables on which good people will disagree. Small or big? Buttercream or cream cheese frosting? Lots of frosting or just a small amount? Etc, etc.

Personally, I tried Hello a couple of times when they first opened and didn't so much care for them. I thought they were inconsistent but, more often that not, dry with more overly sweetened buttercream than sophisticated cream cheese frostings (I prefer the latter but a great buttercream can work too).

So, my question: can any Hello regulars share whether they think Hello has changed or improved much in the past year? I guess they've done fairly well if they're opening up a second location on Capitol Hill.

As over-hyped as they are, I still prefer G'Town as best cupcakes. And, I like Baked & Wired also but not as much as G'Town because B&W's are too large.

I admittedly haven't tried all the cupcakes in town and my most recent ones have been from Hello Cupcake because I am so close. As I mentioned before, I have found them hit or miss, but the hits have definitely been the ones with cream cheese frosting. I had the chocolate hazelnut one recently and the cake was sort of dry and the frosting was meh. The Caramel Apple on the other hand had really moist cake (probably from the chunks of apple in it) and the frosting was a nicely done cream cheese. I can't recommend everything from there, but I will heartily recommend this one flavor at least!

It looks like the second location of this business never even got enough notice to make it to the title of this thread, but, according to a posting on a neighborhood listserv, the Barracks Row location of Hello Cupcake will be closing after COB today.  The Dupont location will soon have expanded hours and offerings.