14th & U Market, 14th & U Streets NW

Fall Fruit Fan alert: October Fill a box sale at Kuhn's Orchards.  You have to reserve today for a Saturday pick up at 14&U FM. https://www.formstack.com/forms/?1755633-trHezmh0ul The half bushel box ($40) is a great great deal and includes Honeycrisp, Fuji, Jonathan apples; Asian and Bartlett Pears.

Way Down Yonder in the Pawpaw Patch: Ivy Brand will have them this week -- they ran out in less than 2 hours last week.  Pawpaws are the only tropical fruit that is local to our region.  They have a custardy, creamy texture, taste like a wayward child of a mango-banana hook-up.  My husband ate 5 of them at one dessert.  I did not even get to make custard or ice cream out of them!  They are not commercially grown yet because they are hard to pollinate, hard to germinate, picky about their soil and moisture and light, local farmers forage them in their woods.  I think they are wonderful. (yes, they do have large flat seeds, but mangos have that big core and we all love mangos.)

Other unusual fruits at Kuhn or McCleaf: quince, persimmon, kiwi berries (grape kiwis). Plus apples, peaches, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries -- and chestnuts (no, not fruits)

Kuhn also has a very large selection of heirloom pumpkins and unusual winter squash-- half price last hour of the market

And lots of late summer and Fall vegetables, Whisked Pies, Number 1 Sons pickles, krauts and kimchis, Cherry Glen Cheeses, Panorama breads and breakfast pastries, Truck Patch Pastured Pork and Chicken and Pecan Meadow grass fed and finished beef, goat, lamb, rabbit, duck, chicken and pork.  Eggs  including duck eggs.  Plantmasters dahlias, succulents, mums, herbs...

Cathy Barrow Fans!  She will be signing her terrific new book, Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry,  http://www.mrswheelbarrow.com/cookbook/ and giving out slices of her jam tart and talking about what to do with what you jam, ferment, cure, can  and create at 11 Saturday.  I have already decided that everyone on my holiday list is getting this book .

Is Cauliflower Cheese the most popular recipe around? I ask because the one post that Facebook has deigned to send around to nearly eveyone who "likes" our fb page, is this one from Deb at Smitten Kitchen.

Somehow it outwitted the algorithm that has prevented nearly all our fans from getting the recipes and pictures and articles I  find to post/share -- and which people seemed to like but no longer see on their newsfeed.

https://www.facebook.com/14UFarmersMarket

The market is full of food for the next 3 weeks and ends Saturday before Thanksgiving, November 22nd.  The Fall has been pretty gentle so we still have some summer crops but it is cool enough that all the brassicas and greens and salads and carrots etc are sweet and flavorful.  Daniel at Pecan Meadow has a 1940s heirloom wheat (Pennol) -- Bread Furst uses in two breads but there is enough left over for market bakers.  Truck Patch has turkeys for Thanksgiving and lots of caulflower should you also be inspired by Smitten Kitchen. I keep seeing gorgeous broccoli (which I have been roasting for soup), brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, kales, collars.

And because I am definitely Team Swiss Chard, I am glad we have lots of that as well.  I like making dolmas from the leaves and dice the stems into little red jewels that I saute and serve separately.

25 varieties of apples, Honey Crisp and Pressed Grape Cider, chestnuts, sunchokes, Asian, Magness, Bosc pears, kiwiberries. Whisked Pecan Pie this week.  Pano's baguettes on sale this week.

Strawberry alert!  Garner has flats (8 quarets) of strawberries for $32/flat.  And Rhubarb sales too.  Kuhn is 3 pounds/$10, a huge discount.  Cherry Glen introduces their new Feta this week.  Here is the rest of my market email for 14&U FM this week.

*NUMBER ONE SONS: Half Sours are back.  The kimchis, the krauts, the dilly beans, the HOT pickled cabbage hearts perk up every meal and they are probiotic, too,  Great condiments to add to a cheese plate, a grilled cheese, rice, sandwiches, soups.  Caitlin says: Customers can bring back their containers to No. 1 Sons to refill for them!  Although note they can't take them back for others to reuse.  Customers can also bring their own jars.  Our sizes are 12oz, just shy of a pint, and 32oz, a quart.  Wide-mouth jars are best for packing kimchi + kraut.

*PLANTMASTERS: Leon's pop up nursery is full of all the herbs and plants you're  looking for in May to set up your garden, patio and porch.  Colorful hanging baskets, herbs for the kitchen, vegetable and tomato starts and lots of striking annuals.  Try some succulents , they are easy care like a cactus but no prickles!   Cut flowers star sweet William, ranunculus, stock, sweet peas, anemones this week .

*MOUNTAIN VIEW: back after a sabbatical year, Shawna and Attila are all organic, all the time. PEAS.  Kale, collard, chard, beets, hakurei turnips, radishes with their very edible greens, spinach, romaine and summer crisp lettuce.  Cilantro, scallions, mustard greens and a crisp, spicy salad mix.  Lots of good quality plant starts: herbs, tomatoes, peppers and some unusual ones like epazote which you really need is you want to make authentic Mexico food.

*TRUCK PATCH: They are famous for their tiny arugula, mesclun, baby greens and bacon.  Kale, broccoli, red beets, radishes and pork.

*GARNER"s PRODUCE: Lots of strawberries and sales on flats of 8 quarts.   Asparagus (which you should sliver and serve with sliced strawberries over arugula.) Radishes, early season zucchini, green kale, white sweet turnips, Swiss chard, golden and red beets, spinach, arugula, Asian green mix, spring onions (stew the green stems separately from the bulbs).  Their dried cranberry beans and black eye peas are very flavorful.  Cut Parsley, cilantro, dill.  Lots of baby plants for your gardens: herbs, tomatoes, hot peppers, sweet peppers, sqush, basil, sage, dill, cilantro, chives, flowers.

*PANORAMA:  Damien and Loic's cases are filled with French style breads and sweets.  Baguettes, sourdoughs, whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel, loaves and sandwich shapes.  Tarts, scones, muffins, breakfast pastries, croissants.

* WHISKED: Jenna says it best:  "Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of those pies that people ask about all year. In December we'll get people asking about it - when strawberries are just a gleam in some plant's eye. That's the thing about working with seasonal produce - you can't always offer people's favorite flavors. But when that fruit actually comes in season, and I can actually write this email saying "Yes, we have it - strawberry rhubarb pie is on the menu" it feels like a momentous event. It feels like this thing I've been waiting to say for months and months and months. So here it is guys - strawberry rhubarb pie. At last."

Rhubarb Pie, Strawberry Lemon Pie (Lemon custard swirled with homemade strawberry compote), Apple Rhubarb Pie (tart rhubarb and Granny Smith appels), Seas Salt Chocolate Chess Pie, Salted Caramel Apple Pie.   The savories this week are Southwestern Spinach Quiche  (sauteed spinach, onions, garlic and jack cheese) and Asparagus and Swiss quiche.  I saw Jenna collecting the spinach and asparagus at the end of market last week.

PECAN MEADOW: Grass -fed- and-finished, half- Piedmontese beef, pastured pork, lamb. Steaks, roasts, chops, sausages. ground, kabobs, stews, bacon, ribs, ham hocks, duck whoe and parts.

KUHN's ORCHARDS:  Rhubarb sale. Sunchokes, nice closed heads of asparagus, leeks, white spuds, chestnuts.  Apples include: Goldrush, Fuji York, Pink Lady, Granny Smith.  Asian Pears by the ound and in pre-bagged "grab-n-go" 3 pound bags.  Honey, Canned peaches, applesauce, Apple Butter, Jam, Dried Apples, Cider, Herbs.

MCCLEAF's ORCHARDS: Rhubarb, green and purple asparagus, onions. Cameo, Granny Smith, Fuji, Gold Rush, Nittany apples.

CHERRY GLEN GOAT CHEESE:  We're excited about the Feta that will be appearing in a week or two!  And we are very happy with the chevre, the ricotta, the 5 different Monacacies -- soft rounds of brie like aged cheeses.  Those cute little aged buttons in herb flavored oils are still a great starter.

• Red Currants
  • Blackberries
  • Raspberries
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries
  • Lemon Verbena Panna Cotta with Basil Balsamic strawberry Salad
  • Spicy Amatriciana sauce at Cucina Al Volo
  • Fennel
  • Radish Kimchi is back --

Lots of good foods for your Father's Day meals.

CHEF DEMO: Julie Castillo (Eat Local for Less) is at the chef table this weekend, doing market recipes from her new book). 10:30- 12:00

KUHN: lots of berries! Asparagus, rhubarb, garlic scapes. Apples (GoldRush, Fuji, Pink Lady, Asian Pears. Honey, apple sauce, apple butter, Jam, dried apples. Cider.

MCCLEAF: Sweet cherries, blueberries, broccoli, Pac Choi, Swiss Chard, Kale, Collard, Lettuce, Cameo, Fuji, Gold Rush apples

CUCINA AL VOLO; This week's superb pastas include: Ravioli stuffed with their homemade burrata. A return of the oversized Duck Ravioli. (Serve with a bit of melted butter and a few chopped sage leaves).  Swiss chard and ricotta ravioli. Beef Bolognese Sauce. Rabbit Sauce. Pesto (Matteo says you only need a teaspoon per portion). The spicy Amatriciana sauce and the dried pasta will go with it. Their handmade dried pastas: fusili, spaghetti, rigatoni.

WHISKED: More of the classic Sour Cherry Pie with their crumble topping. tart Rhubarb and sweet Strawberry, Apple Rhubarb, Strawberry Lemon, Sea Salt Chocolate are the sweet pies this week. The savories are Asparagus and Goat Cheese, Bacon, Cheddar and Onion quiches.

Pre order your July 4th pies.

PLANTMASTERS: Carol and Leon say: Summer has arrived on the flower farm!  We are harvesting some of our early bloomers like hydrangea, gooseneck loosestrife ( a personal Fav!  Come see why) Gloriosa Daisies, yarrow, maybe a few peonies yet, and a market favorite, red hot poker.  Many others in bud, we'll see what opens for Saturday.  Still a great herb selection. I dressed chicken salad with blended parsley, thyme & yogurt for a light meal on a hot day.  Lots of colorful annuals, hanging baskets and fragrant jasmine plants.

TRUCK PATCH: Maybe we will have a few more of those strawberries (hope so!) and asparagus. Spring Onions in red and white. Beets, kale, arugula, mesclun, young spinach.  Bacon. Pastured Pork, Chicken whole and in parts.

MOUNTAIN VIEW ORGANICS: Pie Cherries. Beets, carrots, sugar snap peas, lettuces, Swiss Chard. Summer Squash, cucumbers, kale, collards, fennel, basil, mint, Spring Onions.

GARNER'S PRODUCE: Green beans, eggplants, green peppers, candy onions, early tomatoes, suar snaps, carrots, peas, summer squash in all varieties, cucumbers, green, red, Toscano kales. Savoy Cabbage. Broccoli, Swiss Chard, Arugula, Spring Onion, lettuce, red beets, Asian Green Mix, Kohlrabi, Parsley, Cilantro, Dill. Vegetable and herb plants.

CHERRY GLEN GOAT CHEESE: Feta. Have you tried it yet? I get it every week and it is very very good. Also, chevre, ricotta, herb infused aged chevre buttons in olive oil.  Monacacies -- love the Ash and Chipotle but there are 5 altogether.

PANORAMA: a whole French bakery under two tents: the bakers are French from Brittany. Lots of pastries, lots of breads.

PECAN MEADOW: Grass fed and finished beef -- Half Piedmontese -- Think of what you want to have on the Grill this weekend: steaks, burgers, roasts. Lamb cutlets, pork chops, sausages.  The guinea hens are sooo chicken-y.

NUMBER 1 SONS: Caitlin was telling me: "The tanginess/sauer from the kimchi or kraut cuts the fat in cheese or other greasy foods very nicely."  So, that is why Grilled Kimcheese is so good.  Try the radish kimchi, the classic kimchi, the pickles, the traditional Central American slaws like the Rosetido, the various krauts.

See  you Saturday.

Robin

Baby Ginger is back at Mountain View at 14&U FM Saturday.  Just in time for Labor Day dishes.  I am sure everyone here has tasted baby ginger, but just a reminder: there is essentially no peel and there is no fiber so you don't have to matchstick it to avoid the fiber.  It is floral too.  And it freezes well.

We may have paw-paws: Attila will be checking out the wild paw paws on his land sometime today.  If not this weekend, then soon.

Kuhn is running various berry sales: a Mix and Match Berry Special of raspberries, strawberries and/or blackberries--2/$10 dollars.And the Mini-Flat Berry special: 2 half pints of raspberries, two pints of blackberries, one pint of strawberries and one pint of seedless grapes for $25 -- a savings of $6.50.  I got this last Saturday.  The raspberries were incredibly good. I used the blackberries in a sauce for pork escalopes and we devoured the grapes.  Kuhn has red, golden, black raspberries.

Between the two orchards we have a good dozen early apples including honeycrisp

And enormous amounts of every variety of tomatoes, peppers, summer squash, eggplants, alliums, potatoes, melons and lots of corn. Beans, baby lima beans, tomatillos, pastured pork, grass fed and finished half Piedmontese beef, lamb, rabbit, chicken, guinea hens, eggs (duck, chicken and quail).

Peachy Family Dairy makes a wide variety of goat cheeses.

Cucina Al Volo just opened Osteria Al Volo in the old Pasta Mia location on Columbia Rd in Adams Morgan.  They now make all their pasta there, both for their stand at the markets and the restaurant.. It is excellent pasta made by Florentine chefs and their staff.

1400 U Street NW
9-1

Summer market this Saturday with all the summer favorites.  Yellow and white Peaches and nectarines, every kind of berry, 4 colors of currants, sweet and tart cherries, plums, melons, eggplant, summer squash, cherry, Early Girl, beefsteak, Heirloom field tomatoes, greens, salads, okra, green beans, peppers both hot and sweet.  Kales, collards, chards, Asian greens, okra. Mushrooms too.

Plus Whisked pies and quiches and cookies, Panorama breads and breakfast pastries, Number 1 Sons krauts, pickles, kimchi, hot sauces, pastured beef, pork, lamb, rabbit, duck, chicken, Cornish hens, Guinea fowl.  Duck, goose and chicken eggs.  Plantmaster's flowers and plants. Cucina Al Volo homemade pastas and sauces.  (I was in Tuscany in late May and their pasta really does hold up to the Tuscan.  Not surprising since their family is Florentine.). Pecan Meadow whole wheat flour from their own wheat.  Rye in the Fall.

Saturday 9-1, 14th and U Streets NW

Summer and Fall, still intermingled at the market:

GARNER'S PRODUCE always takes a chance on a late field of summer and it paid off this year as it often does: They just started picking that last planting of fabulous summer crops. Summer squash, green beans, sweet bell peppers, tomatoes, sweet corn and even watermelons.  (I think the late season corn is the best).

PLANTMASTERS has dozens of cut flowers by the stem including: dahlias, hydrangeas, zinnias, monkey balls, marigold, sunflowers, lilies, cosmos, African Blue Basil and more.  (Clean water and a clean, quick cut are the most important things you can do to keep your flowers last longer).  And now is a good time to plant perennial herbs, cabbages, kales, succulents, mums and stock up on houseplants and even aloe plants.

Between our two orchards, we have 20 different apples for eating, baking and sauce, Asian and Bartlett style Pears, Quince, Strawberries, raspberries.

Mountain View, Garner and Truck Patch, Kuhn and McCleaf have shallots, leeks, parsnips, garlic, onions in various colors and heat/sweetness, sweet and hot peppers, leeks, parsnips cherry, heirloom, hybrid tomatoes,  canning tomatoes, applesauce and apple butter, jams, dried apples.  Kiwiberries. kales, collards, swiss chard, bok choy, tai-tso, other Asian grreens, mesclun, arugula, baby spinach, mixed greens, salad greens, lettuces.  Sweet potatoes in various colors for baking and mashing and even Japanese Tempura.  Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbages, carrots, cucumbers, eggplants including those miniature fairy ones. Okra, shelled beans, summer squash (zucchini, yellow, Lebanese), beets. fresh turmeric  Hot sauces. 

Truck Patch and Pecan Meadow have Grass fed beef, lamb, pastured pork, free range chicken, guinea hen, duck.  Duck, chicken and goose eggs. Oyster mushrooms in psychedelic colors and a tight selection of Keswick cheeses.

The Fall squashes are here at all the produce stands.: Look around for all the new as well as the classic squash and edible pumpkins. Kuhn usually has a half price sale on many pumpkins during the last hour of the market.  Cider at both our orchards.

• *Ferment everything -- Number 1 Sons has -- and they even produce fabulous, curried vinegar pickled beets
  • *WHISKED dozen quiches and pies include New Bourbon Apple made with One Eight Distilling's delicious bourbon, butternut squash Quiches,  New Pumpkin and New Pear Pies and her  cookies are so tempting.  Free samples.
  • Ask about boxes of canning tomatoes -- good seconds for sauces, oven roasted tomatoes, juice, bloody mary parties, etc. 
WHISKED's Jenna says this about their Farmers Market Only Special Bourbon Apple Pie:

Jenna says this about the new WHISKED BOURBON APPLE PIE:

"One Eight recently released their new Rock Creek Bourbon, the first grain to glass bourbon distilled in D.C. since pre-Prohibition. It is distilled in small batches in a copper pot still and matured in the highest quality new American oak barrels.
 This is GOOD bourbon, evoking a warmth of rye spice, cloves, and a touch of ancho chile with notes of creme brulee and fig. Although we wouldn't recommend the home baker pour it into a pie filling (you should really be enjoying it neat or in your favorite cocktail), that's exactly what we did.

When you think of Fall, what flavors and aromas come to mind? Bourbon is definitely one (so many fall cocktails depend on it), as well as crisp apples, oatmeal drizzled in maple syrup, warming spices, and all things that keep you cozy on a brisk fall day.
 From these ideas, we created our Bourbon Apple flavor: a boozy, spiced apple pie with an oat crumble. The pie is made with soft, oven-roasted apples from Kuhn Orchards  mixed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and healthy pour of bourbon. The bourbon adds wonderful maple notes and a little bit of bite from the alcohol. Warm this pie in the oven, add a scoop of melty vanilla ice cream, and cozy up."

Garner will have the first summer squash and zucchini on Saturday and all the produce stands will have strawberries so you will have a lot of varieties and terroirs to taste. First Green Garlic and Garden scapes. I love  Mountain View's spinach and baby Gem lettuce. Lots of salad greens and cooking greens, American and Asian. If you do not already prefer kohlrabi for cole slaw, please try it this weekend with grated carrots.  Cecina al Volo is now on the U Street side of the market.  Pecan Meadow's son, Ryan, is raising lots of mushrooms: gray and yellow and King (royal Trumpet) oyster, shiitakes and pioppinos.  They also have grass fed and finished beef, lamb, goat and pastured pork, chicken, duck and guinea hen. Eggs from ducks, geese and chickens.

Number 1 Sons will have asparagus kimchi this week and still has their superb Spring Ramp Kraut. I think Whisked's Asparagus quiche is a winner and we have had it for a post market lunch three times now.  Lots of herb starts and plants at Plantmasters and Garner's Produce and Mountain View.  

Hope to see you Saturday, rain or shine.

It is the last market of 2018, the end of our 12th season. 
Pecan Meadow is bringing extra turkeys for people who forgot to reserve and lots of mushrooms and their incredible whoopie pies and the Pennol flour used by both Seylou and Breadfurst. They will also have lots of beef and goat and pork and lamb and duck and chickens. I am very partial to their young chickens and guinea hens.
  Lots of eggs.

Whisked has all the Thanksgiving pies. Their new pumpkin cheesecake pie is special.

Kuhn and McCleaf all the ciders and 25 varieties of apples between them and pears and jams.  (You do know that apples will last a month in the fridge in Kuhn's apple bags, right?)  Winter squash and pumpkins and sweet potatoes do well for months in a cool dry place.

I just discovered that Keswick ricotta freezes perfectly -- I defrosted one last night and it kept all its sweetness.  Sara can tell you which cheeses to pair with our ciders and your beers and wines. They have about 30 cheeses including lovely funky, creamy, runny Crouton and Swirly Girl.

Number 1 Sons Pickles and krauts and kimchi go on forever in the fridge. (Kraut is a must on the Baltimore Thanksgiving menu).  I have often served Cucina Al Volo's Butternut squash ravioli or lasagne instead of squash soup!  And their pastas freeze very well.  

cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans. lettuces and cooking greens, garlic, shallots, onions, unusual winter squash, gourds, leeks, kohlrabi, sun chokes, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, chestnuts, black eyed peas, october beans...
Plantmaster has the most amazing centerpieces -- their fused succulentpumpkins last for several months -- and lilies and branches of red berries, Thanksgiving flowers, amaryllis bulbs in pots, paperwhite narcissus and heirloom mums as well as my favorite cabbage roses.
When: Saturday 9-1; Where: Corner of 14th and U NW
Robin