Membership Cards

I remember that thread now. Does this mean the user agreement is now going to be modified?
It's already modified. ;)
You agree not to use your individual affiliation with this bulletin board in any way to knowingly solicit, induce or receive, directly or indirectly, in any manner, any sort of remuneration, in the form of free or discounted items, special service or otherwise, outside of that which is available to each and every board member.

As described, this program reminds me of the "membership cards" that every store on the planet now offers. Your Giant card gets you discounts at the checkout; your Borders card gets you coupons via email. Danny has a good point, that what is offered with the donrockwell.com card has already been going on casually for years. This makes what is currently available to some, a benefit for everyone. It's not for me, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone else getting the card.

I still think that you should have to make more than one post though. Make'em work for it!

I think the special section for businesses to post about specials, events, etc.. is a great idea. However, I think when a business is offering these promotions it should be open to EVERYONE, not just Dr. com members. If I am serving 1/2 price nachos on Tuesday night, why shouldn't that hold true for every customer that walks into my establishment. I guess I just don't like the idea of getting special priviledge because you post on an internet web board.
I get a free chili mac from Hard Times every February for my birthday, and it's because I signed up for their e-mail list. My father sends invitations to private sales that generate tons of revenue. My company offers discounts to governments and sends special offers to targeted clients. Wegman's gives me forty-five cents off diced tomatoes on certain days because I have a special card from them. I get special discounts from hotels and airlines when I travel because I'm a AAA member.

As a business person, if you're missing out on the lucrative opportunity of niche-marketing, well, that's your choice. It's a profitable and inexpensive way to target and retain your core customer base. Just offering half price nachos to everyone who walks in the door is just going to mean you make 50% less on nacho sales that night. Telling a group of dedicated foodies that you have half price nachos on Fridays with membership, and you're bringing in new customers to try your product. It costs ten times as much to acquire new business as it does to keep an existing customer - this opportunity drastically reduces that cost.

Again, we're not talking about flashing the card and having the maitre'd sprint over to you and bring you to their diamond-encrusted table. We're talking about showing the card to your server and getting $5 off your check. I wouldn't hesitate to say a few choice words here about Hard Times just because I'm a member of their e-mail club.

As a business person, if you're missing out on the lucrative opportunity of niche-marketing, well, that's your choice. It's a profitable and inexpensive way to target and retain your core customer base.
Navin Frosty, I'm no good at this.

Frosty Aw come on Navin, you're doing fine.

Navin I've already given away eight pencils, two hoola dolls and an ashtray and I've only taken in fifteen dollars.

Frosty Navin, you have taken in fifteen dollars and given away fifty cents worth of crap, which gives us a net profit of fourteen dollars and fifty cents.

Navin Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!

post-27-1209908753_thumb.jpg

I get a free chili mac from Hard Times every February for my birthday, and it's because I signed up for their e-mail list. My father sends invitations to private sales that generate tons of revenue. My company offers discounts to governments and sends special offers to targeted clients. Wegman's gives me forty-five cents off diced tomatoes on certain days because I have a special card from them. I get special discounts from hotels and airlines when I travel because I'm a AAA member.

As a business person, if you're missing out on the lucrative opportunity of niche-marketing, well, that's your choice. It's a profitable and inexpensive way to target and retain your core customer base. Just offering half price nachos to everyone who walks in the door is just going to mean you make 50% less on nacho sales that night. Telling a group of dedicated foodies that you have half price nachos on Fridays with membership, and you're bringing in new customers to try your product. It costs ten times as much to acquire new business as it does to keep an existing customer - this opportunity drastically reduces that cost.

Again, we're not talking about flashing the card and having the maitre'd sprint over to you and bring you to their diamond-encrusted table. We're talking about showing the card to your server and getting $5 off your check. I wouldn't hesitate to say a few choice words here about Hard Times just because I'm a member of their e-mail club.

Dan-

I see what you are saying, however, I guess I missed the mark when I was trying to make my point. I am all for specials, VIC rewards cards, AAA, etc... I just don't think it is the right direction to go in terms of DR.com. Unless I am mistaken, Hard Times Cafe, Wegmans, etc. do not have active forum discussions about their products. All I am saying is that I like the informal nature of DR.com, basically a place for like minded folk to share their experiences, talk about food, and all of that stuff. I think when you add this membership card thing, it becomes a bit more formal (and "corporate") like it or not.

I agree that membership rewards are a good thing for businesses, I just think they are not a good thing for this board.

FYI, I pulled the Member Benefits completely out of the main category block for two reasons: 1. To emphasize separation, and more importantly 2. There's a little "minus sign" on the top-right that you can click on, and the whole thing will contract into a single bar (this is what I plan on doing, since I don't necessarily want to see it all the time). For those who don't wish to see or use it, this will render it fairly invisible.

For those who are interested, the Entertainment Book is currently running a promotion offering $10 off, along with free shipping.

Or, you could get a dr.com membership card for FREE, and begin getting discounts at restaurants such as Firefly (try finding that restaurant in the Entertainment book).

Click here for details on how to get your card.

Restaurants, are you looking for more business right now? Feel free to follow Firefly's lead...