Sakoontra, Thai in Costco Plaza on West Ox Road and Lee Highway in Fair Oaks - Closed

I've been to Sakoontra a few times, and I'm surprised there hasn't been much conversation about it here. Very good and very consistent Thai food in the Costco plaza off the Fairfax County Parkway and West Ox.

Whenever I visit a Thai restaurant, I always try the Drunken Noodles (kee mow) for the sake of comparison. This dish is very good at Sakoontra, which I requested "Thai spicy" not "American spicy". The thick noodles sauteed with just about everything in the kitchen hits the spot time and again.

I have also tried the Panang Chicken and the Yum Watercress, which I think is unique to this restaurant. Again, very good and reliable Thai dishes. My girlfriend has had the Pattaya Seafood, with the spices dumbed down for her palate, and I tried it on our last visit. Nothing to write home about, but certainly not bad either. I find the squid to be a bit chewy on various dishes here.

Whenever I'm in that part of the Fairfax County Parkway - West Ox - Fair Oaks area, Sakoontra is my first choice of restaurant.

Honestly, I think Sakoontra is the best Thai food in Fairfax County, with Chao Phra Ya, in the Clocktower in Herndon, as a close second. I used to live within the delivery range of Sakoontra before I bought in Reston, and it's really the only thing I miss about living over there.

I think their squid is a little chewy as well, but they do interesting things with the squid that other restaurants don't do, so I'm willing to give them a pass. I also like their (I think) krapow duck. It's insanely fatty, being duck, but it is soooo good. Spicy, basily, and ducky. The flavors work really well.

My top pick for Thai in the area is (no surprise) Thai Square on Columbia Pike, but Sakoontra really is a gem and I'll happily make the trek to eat there.

Just went back to Sakoontra again last night, and the special was deep fried soft shell crab. You get two of them, in about 8-10 pieces, for $24.95, and a choice of three dipping sauces. Mine was the basil-chili sauce, and it was awesome. Also shared the Yum Watercress with my girlfriend, and it was one of the best "salads" I've had recently. This place is on my best-of-Fairfax-County-Asian list....

This is always on the short list when looking for something in that area. Standards - spring rolls, tom kha gai, pad thai, penang, drunken noodles - are all good. The beef salad (nom tok?) is also good.

My opinion may be skewed because this used to be my regular Thai place. (I'm now fully committed to Sawatdee and their summer rolls.)

This is always on the short list when looking for something in that area. Standards - spring rolls, tom kha gai, pad thai, penang, drunken noodles - are all good. The beef salad (nom tok?) is also good.

My opinion may be skewed because this used to be my regular Thai place. (I'm now fully committed to Sawatdee and their summer rolls.)

Five of us hit Sakoontra last night and all I can report is that it remains consistently good. I have never had a better kee mow (drunken noodles) anywhere, the Yum Watercress is a rare treat, the appetizers are fresh and delicious (steamed dumplings and Thai mussels this time around), and the soft shell crab (Poo Grob) is not to be missed, especially because I like anything with "Poo" in the title.

This post shouldn't even happen -- Lady KN and I were between events, a bit rushed, heading toward the Patriot Center for an event, and a bit hungry. Sakoontra happened out of thin air, and boy oh boy, am I glad it did.

I wasn't in the mood for anything special or unique, so I ordered the Pad Kee Mow -- Drunken Noodles. I was stunned by the dish, easily the best Pad Kee Mow I've eaten anywhere at any time, ever. I ordered the comdination meats of chicken, beef and pork, and what landed in front of me was an overflowing plate of delicious, spicy, fresh, flavorful goodness the likes of which I haven't enjoyed in forever. I would eat this dish over and over again.

This post shouldn't even happen -- Lady KN and I were between events, a bit rushed, heading toward the Patriot Center for an event, and a bit hungry. Sakoontra happened out of thin air, and boy oh boy, am I glad it did.

I wasn't in the mood for anything special or unique, so I ordered the Pad Kee Mow -- Drunken Noodles. I was stunned by the dish, easily the best Pad Kee Mow I've eaten anywhere at any time, ever. I ordered the comdination meats of chicken, beef and pork, and what landed in front of me was an overflowing plate of delicious, spicy, fresh, flavorful goodness the likes of which I haven't enjoyed in forever. I would eat this dish over and over again.

This isn't between you and Patriot Center!

• Like 1