It's such a beautiful day today that I decided to take a long walk. As I turned off Lee Highway onto Glebe Road, I noticed Thirsty Bernie Sports Bar And Grill, right next to the fisherman's shop that used to be called "Angler's Lie" (which I thought was a great name). A big sign on the restaurant says "Coming Soon!"

I walked up and saw a big flat-screen TV in the window, and noticed that things looked set up and ready to go. There was a gentleman inside, working hard, and when I caught his attention, he motioned me over to the side door. He spoke very little English, but I managed to ask him when the restaurant would be opening; although I can't be sure we understood each other, it appears to be very, very soon. A menu is posted on the window, and Thirsty Bernie will be serving classic sports-bar fare such as chicken wings, hamburgers, fried onion rings, and bean dip.

When I walked away and continued down Glebe Road, I had a huge smile on my face, and I headed towards Ballston with a spring in my step, unable to suppress the smile which kept coming back, again and again.

Because in addition to the chicken wings, hamburgers, fried onion rings, and bean dip, the menu also listed beef on weck, a kielbasa sandwich, pierogies, a homemade charcuterie plate, and a whole host of other things. And on the bottom-right was this: Executive Chef, Jamie Stachowski.

Cheers!

Rocks.

Because in addition to the chicken wings, hamburgers, fried onion rings, and bean dip, the menu also listed beef on weck, a kielbasa sandwich, pierogies, a homemade charcuterie plate, and a whole host of other things. And on the bottom-right was this: Executive Chef, Jamie Stachowski.
That's great news. What a productive walk you had! :lol:.

Oh, hell yeah. Less than a mile from my office. And just the other day I was thinking about when I worked downtown and went for those great bar lunches at Kolumbia, especially the kielbasa!!!

Crap. That's nowhere near my office. I guess that's what weekends are for.

Less than a mile from my house. What an awesome time to be working from home...

Less than a mile from my house. What an awesome time to be working from home...

I'll meet you for lunch.

I'll meet you for lunch.

Deal! This little patch of Lee Hwy is starting to become quite the dining destination. You were way ahead of your time.

Took a peek at the posted menu while waiting for the baby's prescription to be filled nearby. Moules frites, hangar steak, 12 hour smoked ribs, smoked chicken, and a southern fried chicken sandwich all caught my eye. The tables are all staged with ketchup and mustard bottles but the workers were still hard at work.

I knew moving to Cherrydale was a good idea. Now I don't feel so bad having never made it to the $9 bar lunch at Kolumbia. And a quick google search surfaced a menu snapshot

That menu snapshot only captures half of the menu though. He's missing the right half, which has most of the entrees. My memory isn't complete, but I recall seeing a red snapper dish, a hanger steak, and a roast chicken among other things. Looks to me like this will be quite a step up from a typical "sports bar" in the food category.

That menu snapshot only captures half of the menu though. He's missing the right half, which has most of the entrees. My memory isn't complete, but I recall seeing a red snapper dish, a hanger steak, and a roast chicken among other things. Looks to me like this will be quite a step up from a typical "sports bar" in the food category.

The place looks great, and I will definitely check it out, but it is in a bit of an odd location; I hope it is able to succeed. Did anyone see whether it would be non-smoking? In North Arlington, that would definitely help, counter-intuitive as that may be in a sports bar.

The place looks great, and I will definitely check it out, but it is in a bit of an odd location; I hope it is able to succeed. Did anyone see whether it would be non-smoking? In North Arlington, that would definitely help, counter-intuitive as that may be in a sports bar.

The location isn't THAT odd. :lol:

Seriously, if the food is good it will be a welcome addition to the neighborhood. I do wonder what kind of crowd it will draw, as the demographic up here tends to be a little bit older (myself included) than down in the Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn area.

The location isn't THAT odd. :lol:

Seriously, if the food is good it will be a welcome addition to the neighborhood. I do wonder what kind of crowd it will draw, as the demographic up here tends to be a little bit older (myself included) than down in the Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn area.

Jason, that's exactly what I was talking about. It will compete with pie-tanza, taquiera, etc. and so I hope it has some element of family friendly.

Damn! I used to live less than 1/2 block down Glebe Rd. from that little mini-mall. Always wanted to live near a bar literally within staggering distance. :lol:

Damn! I used to live less than 1/2 block down Glebe Rd. from that little mini-mall. Always wanted to live near a bar literally within staggering distance. :lol:

You could have staggered to and from the Cowboy Cafe from that location. :lol:

You could have staggered to and from the Cowboy Cafe from that location. :lol:
Correct, but that would have involved crossing a dangerous intersection. There is nothing to cross but the parking lot beween Bernie's and my former abode. Does anyone know what is going up in the construction zone where the old red brick apts. used to be next to that mall -- residental or commericial?

Does anyone know what is going up in the construction zone where the old red brick apts. used to be next to that mall -- residental or commericial?

If you know the address you can look it up, but you need the actual street number.

http://permits.arlingtonva.us/Query_by_Address.aspx

It is unclear to me whether that location sports a Glebe Road or a N. 20th Road address.

Might it be:

"City View Residential Site Plan – Potomac Custom Builders’ site plan for 20 townhouses and 7 single family houses was approved in February 2006. The site is located to the northwest of Lee Highway and N. Veitch Street. (N. Vance Street, N. Wayne Street and N. 20th Street)"

Might it be:

"City View Residential Site Plan – Potomac Custom Builders’ site plan for 20 townhouses and 7 single family houses was approved in February 2006. The site is located to the northwest of Lee Highway and N. Veitch Street. (N. Vance Street, N. Wayne Street and N. 20th Street)"

I think that is further down Lee Highway (toward the city), near Courthouse.

I am pretty sure the stuff going up on Glebe Rd is all residential.

There is some new retail slated to go in across the street from Lee Heights (Arrowine, Crisp and Juicy, etc..), but I think the development has hit a stand still.

The Pub is located at the corner of N. Glebe road and Lee Hwy. About 1 block east of the Alpine restaurant in a little strip mall type thing.

I think that is further down Lee Highway (toward the city), near Courthouse.

I am pretty sure the stuff going up on Glebe Rd is all residential.

There is some new retail slated to go in across the street from Lee Heights (Arrowine, Crisp and Juicy, etc..), but I think the development has hit a stand still.

The Potomac Custom Builders site is across Lee Highway from Courthouse (by the old Bergman's Cleaners) and it is all residential. (The site a block or so West on Lee with the 7-11 is for sale and it would allow commercial mix use.) Rumor is that the old apartment area (it's over 6 acres) that was cleared behind the Lee Heights shops is going to be townhomes... dont' think it's zoned for any commercial mix use.... but it looks like Archstone is the company who purchased it in Dec.