Sushiko, Wisconsin Avenue in Chevy Chase - The Original Glover Park Branch Is Now Closed

I had a rather mixed dinner Saturday night at the new Sushi-Ko location in Chevy Chase.

As for the interior - a bit of a vulgar mess all-around. Late Manet meets a poor man's Nobu, and not in a good way

I also had a mixed evening last night at the Chevy Chase Sushi-Ko, and I hear what you're saying about the interior. If you like Pinot Noir with your sushi (as I do), they have a 2006 Red Burgundy by the glass for $9 that's surprisingly good for what it is. The 300ml bottle of Hakushika sake (the one for $14) wouldn't be a bad thing to order either. My sushi chef Henry, who last worked at Raku, was friendly and competent, and the sashimi and sushi were better than two courses which came from the kitchen: a meh-fried marinated eel with cold seaweed in a balsamic reduction - which is just not a good combination - and fried halibut cheeks which were overcooked and leathery. The server was aloof enough where I simply bypassed him and did all my ordering through Henry. That strategy worked well until I needed a refill on my wine, at which time I found myself craning my neck around, hoping to catch his eye.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Sushi-Ko Glover Park was slammed last night at 8:30, with thirty-minute waits for a table. Sometimes you just have to order a bunch of rolls for carryout:

Salmon Avocado ($5.25), Spicy Scallop ($5.25), Crunchy Eel ($6.00), Tuna Jalapeno ($5.50), Crunchy Toro ($7.50), and Smoked Salmon ($6.50). The daily special crunchy toro (made crunchy by oshinko) was the star of the show, and in general I prefer Susho-Ko's rolls that have something crunchy and/or spicy to offset any less-than-perfect fish that may make its way into their seaweed-wrapped confines.

It matters that Koji is here, even though he has nothing to do with assembling the rolls - he orders the fish, and the excellent sushi rice is almost surely under his jurisdiction.

Cheers,

Rocks.

My sister and I were both in the mood for sushi tonight. The weather was beautiful, we put the top down and drove all the way across DC in the middle of rush hour traffic to Kotobuki. We got there a little after 7 and the line was literally out the door. A quick call to Sushi Ko in Glover Park and we were thrilled to learn it would no problem getting a table in 15 minutes. The place was 2/3 full when we got there. She had the seaweed salad, salmon/mango negiri, crunchy toro roll and washington roll. I had the lobster soup and tuna five ways. We had a great meal, exactly what we were craving and not terribly more expensive than our original plan.

FYI: link to the Sushi Ko website at the top of the thread is wrong

Lisa and I went to the Chevy Chase location last week. She (and her friend) stuck to items off the standard menu, whereas I decided to simply ask the sushi chef to surprise me with whatever dishes he thought were the best that day (essentially omakase). While Lisa and her friend had a reasonably decent (and boring) meal, mine kicked serious ass. Piter was the sushi chef and he started me off with a couple of fairly conservative dishes. But as things progressed, he got more and more into it and started serving up some really interesting items. After a starter of ohitashi and grilled baby octopus, Piter served me the following:

• Japanese snapper - ok...
  • Seared marinated tuna - more or less ok...
  • Fresh scallop - now we're getting some decent stuff
  • Salmon confit - amazing! Slow cooked for over an hour, it looked raw but simply melted in your mouth with a delicious, rich flavour.
  • Spotted prawn with caviar and onion vinaigrette - very good
  • Flounder carpaccio - excellent!
  • Squid with quail egg and wasabi dressing - oh, wow. I don't think I've had squid quite this tender and tasty. The quail egg/wasabi dressing was fantastic. Very creamy, spicy, and complex.
  • Uni and flounder fin - served slightly roasted. Both were delicate tasting and the flavours were very complimentary. At this point, I cried "Uncle".

Piter came up with some really tasty dishes, once he realized that I was comfortable with anything he threw at me. I tell you, I simply can't wait to go back. A little on the pricey side but you certainly get what you pay for.

The sushi petit from the chef's menu at Chevy Chase is an amazing steal. $24 for six pieces of nigiri - toro, salmon toro, fatty yellowtail, scallops, sea bream, and I don't know what the sixth piece was since someone else ate it. Most of them were pretty high quality, and def. better than the maki we had (spicy scallop and spicy tuna - the scallop tasted like crab stick).

There were a bunch of fish on the menu at Sushi-Ko last night that I hadn't seen there before (and I've been about a million times). All from Japan: Me-Dai (Butter Fish (note: This is different than Madai)), Kintoki-Dai (Red Big Eye Snapper), Renko-Dai (Pink Snapper), Ao-Chibiki (Blue Snapper), Suzuki (Sea Bass; I don't think I've seen Suzuki here, but I might be wrong about this one), and Hobou (Gurnard). It's pretty sad when I not only don't recognize the Japanese name "Hobou," but I also don't recognize the English translation. I had 'em all, and some of them were so similar that it was fascinating to compare (one of the duos I tried was a back cut and a belly cut of the Ao-Chibiki).

Cheers,

Rocks

Dropped in to the Chevy Chase location for a light(ish) dinner in the more casual section of the dining room. The seaweed salad is a generous portion, enough for two, and with several more types of seaweed than the ubiquitous versions of this salad. I'm a mayo fiend, so I didn't mind the slightly heavy hand with the dressing. Grilled baby octopus didn't work for us though, being overpowered by the sweet teriyaki sauce.

I know the emphasis is supposed to be on the prepared dishes, but after mixed experiences in the past we decided to focus on the fish this time and were amply rewarded. We both chose the jo-sashimi moriawase ($25) and although the selections weren't particularly exotic, the flavors were bright and the flesh practically creamy. The amaebi (sweet shrimp) were especially good tonight.

Also, props to the management for their thoughtful service. Our server inquired when clearing the mostly unfinished octopus, and we told her that the sweetness simply wasn't to our taste. At the end of the meal, she surprised us by removing the dish from our tab, and a manager stopped by to check on our experience. It was a nice and unnecessary gesture, and we appreciated it.

Kicking myself for waiting so long to go back to Sush-Ko. Koji said to go with the soft-shell crab. That, and crispy eel, were peak experiences. Enough to get me to write on this board for the first time in a couple of years.

$840k in back taxes means over $2,000,000 of profits that they didn't pay taxes on.

From what I understand, back taxes in DC generally include substantial fines for late or non-payment, so your profit estimate for which there are unpaid taxes is probably significantly inflated. Not trying to provide an excuse at all, but just disagree with your numbers.

From what I understand, back taxes in DC generally include substantial fines for late or non-payment, so your profit estimate for which there are unpaid taxes is probably significantly inflated. Not trying to provide an excuse at all, but just disagree with your numbers.

My number may be inflated because I don't know how much of that is interest and/or penalty. I made an assumption that Sushi-Ko is a corporation, otherwise the tax liability would reside at the owner level and not at the entity level. I divided $840,000 by the highest federal corporate tax rate of 35%, and rounded down to $2,000,000. It's my best guess.

Recently went to Sushi-Ko Chevy Chase for the first time. Our go-to local place is Matuba in Bethesda. After having a markedly better sushi experience in NYC (not in a particularly notable establishment), we've been looking for an upgrade locally, hence the Sushi-Ko trial, which didn't cut it. The nigiri were no better than anything we've had at Matuba and the prices were higher. It didn't help that we were seated at the equivalent of the family thanksgiving dinner kiddie table -- a souless room down a few steps furthest from the entrance.

Recently went to Sushi-Ko Chevy Chase for the first time. Our go-to local place is Matuba in Bethesda. After having a markedly better sushi experience in NYC (not in a particularly notable establishment), we've been looking for an upgrade locally, hence the Sushi-Ko trial, which didn't cut it. The nigiri were no better than anything we've had at Matuba and the prices were higher. It didn't help that we were seated at the equivalent of the family thanksgiving dinner kiddie table -- a souless room down a few steps furthest from the entrance.

That's too bad - I was there (the Chevy Chase location) a week ago tonight, and had a nice meal (despite sitting at the very happy-hourish front bar). They have a very talented sushi chef in Yoshihisa "Yoshi" Ota (who was the opening sushi chef at Kushi), and in particular I liked the execution of the sushi rice although I only had two maki (the rest was sashimi). Do you really think the rice at Matuba is in the same ballpark? I haven't been in to Matsuba in several years now, so they may have gotten a rock star sushi chef in the interim, but I just don't remember it as being anything other than ordinary (that said, it sounds like you thought the Chevy Chase Sushi-Ko was pretty ordinary, too).

I liked the execution of the sushi rice although I only had two maki (the rest was sashimi). Do you really think the rice at Matuba is in the same ballpark?

I have to confess that my palate is not finely tuned enough to appreciate the finer subtleties of sushi rice. I do know when it's bad, I recognize the correct mouth feel, and I'm cognizant that the individual grains of rice should be barely held together and not fall apart when handled gently. For me, sushi is at least 75% about the fish, with the rice in a supporting role. And just as really good oysters don't require any adornment, good sushi needn't come in sight of soy sauce.

Those of you who have kept up with my Maryland Dining Guide got my not-so-subtle hint that the Glover Park Sushi-Ko wasn't going to reopen again under the same ownership.

PoPville has now broken the news that it's officially for lease, so I'll come out and say that this has been going on for awhile now - someone I know was in negotiations to buy the building, and I gave my oath of silence, but apparently that has fallen through (I haven't talked with this person in a couple of weeks, so I'm not up-to-the-minute current on the situation).

So yeah, as much as it bums me out, Sushi-Ko Glover Park will not be reopening as you knew it before. I'll try to find out more tonight, and if I hear back, I'll let you know.

Sunday nights, I would see Johnny Monis here, I would see Tom Power here, hell, the last time I saw José Andrés, I saw him here. This was a chefs' restaurant because of Koji, and it pains me that Sunday night sushi in this town has taken a big, big hit.

Does this mean that Koji will be at the Chevy Chase Sushi-Ko?

Those of you who have kept up with my Maryland Dining Guide got my not-so-subtle hint that the Glover Park Sushi-Ko wasn't going to reopen again under the same ownership.

PoPville has now broken the news that it's officially for lease, so I'll come out and say that this has been going on for awhile now - someone I know was in negotiations to buy the building, and I gave my oath of silence, but apparently that has fallen through (I haven't talked with this person in a couple of weeks, so I'm not up-to-the-minute current on the situation).

So yeah, as much as it bums me out, Sushi-Ko Glover Park will not be reopening as you knew it before. I'll try to find out more tonight, and if I hear back, I'll let you know.

Sunday nights, I would see Johnny Monis here, I would see Tom Power here, hell, the last time I saw José Andrés, I saw him here. This was a chefs' restaurant because of Koji, and it pains me that Sunday night sushi in this town has taken a big, big hit.

This question has not been answered and I'm still curious. Anyone know if Koji is at the Chevy Chase location and if they're featuring the Omakase with Koji?

I haven't heard from Koji in months, and I haven't heard anything about him being in Chevy Chase. I have (or, had) his number, so I could text him and ask - I wouldn't count on him being there unless you hear otherwise (he was definitely not there after the Glover Park Sushi-Ko closed; in fact, he was taking some time off).

On 4/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, malokd said:

Has anyone tried the Kobo omakase at Sushiko?  I have reservations for the vegan one for my pregnant wife's birthday

Thanks in advance

Yea, the non-vegan. It was pretty good, competition for Taro, but a little too much gilding of the Lilly for my taste (e.g., otoro topped with foie)

o-19.jpg

o-7.jpg

o-8.jpg

o-9.jpg

o-10.jpg

o-11.jpg

o-12.jpg

o-13.jpg

o-14.jpg

o-15.jpg

o-16.jpg

o-17.jpg

o-18.jpg

o-19.jpg

o-20.jpg

• Like 9

Our meal didn't change much from Peasoup's photos above, except we didn't get any uni (presumably because they're out of season).  My thought - it's pretty freaking expensive for what we got.  Without the extras that we ordered, it's $160 pp (tax and tip included, breaks down to $120 for food, $12 for tax, and $24 for 20% tip).  I'm sure the booze and extras added at least another $50 pp.  For a Friday 6 p.m. seating (we arrived a little earlier), there were only two of us at Kobo.  We left shortly after 7.

The obvious comparison is with Sushi Taro, but they're not really comparable.  Sushi Taro has a much wider selection of seafood and they don't gussy up the seafood with other things.  Still, if you have money to blow, it's a tasty enough experience that one shouldn't shy away from.

First dish - oyster - smoked with a smoke gun (served under a dome, and you can see wisps of smoke just above the oyster).  The white rectangle is the oyster, trimmed down to look like tofu.  I thought it was ankimo (monkfish liver) at first because that's what the oyster tasted like, but it still had the slippery texture of oyster.  The menu describes it as cherry smoked hama oyster, shiso air foam, sea grape, ikura, and some edible flower (viola flier)

ETA:  Like at a kid's b-day party, we each went home with a goodie bag of sesame dressing, a piece of candy, a pen that says Kobo on its side, and a printed menu.

Kobo - Smoked Oyster.JPG

Second dish - poached egg with gold flakes, sturgeon caviar, asparagus, spring onion blossom, and delicious dashi.  

Kobo - Poached Egg.JPG

Third dish - "signature otsukuri"  Really tuna tartare with goat cheese, candied onion.  This tasted like and has the texture of tofu that's served with 1,000 year old egg that one might get at Chinese brunch (i.e., mixed with lots of sesame seed oil and a bit of soy sauce).

Kobo - Tuna Tartare.JPG

4th - blow-torched Wagyu with shaved black truffle

Kobo - Wagyu Truffle.JPG

5th - shrooms dashi 

Kobo - dashi.JPG

Then comes the fancy nigiri

Butterfish

Kobo - Butterfish.JPG

scallop with lime zest (very noticeable flavor)

Kobo - scallop.JPG

saba (mackerel) with truffle and basil, tomato (all I could taste was the saba, which kind of overwhelmed everything else)

Kobo - Mackerel.JPG

Spot prawn caviar

Kobo - spot prawn.JPG

chu-toro, spring onion blossom

Kobo -chu toro.JPG

sake (salmon)

Kobo -salmon.JPG

otoro, foie gras leeks

Kobo -otoro.JPG

seared foie, shiso

Kobo - seared foie.JPG

We ordered 3 additional pieces of nigiri (chef's choice)

Blue fin tuna with bottarga

Kobo - blue fin bottarga.JPG

Medai with salsa

Kobo - Medai salsa.JPG

wagyu tartare with some egg yolk

Kobo - wagyu tartare.JPG

• Like 5