DonRocks

Sushiko, Wisconsin Avenue in Chevy Chase - The Original Glover Park Branch Is Now Closed

This question has not been answered and I'm still curious. Anyone know if Koji is at the Chevy Chase location and if they're featuring the Omakase with Koji?

I haven't heard from Koji in months, and I haven't heard anything about him being in Chevy Chase. I have (or, had) his number, so I could text him and ask - I wouldn't count on him being there unless you hear otherwise (he was definitely not there after the Glover Park Sushi-Ko closed; in fact, he was taking some time off).

Has anyone tried the Kobo omakase at Sushiko?  I have reservations for the vegan one for my pregnant wife's birthday

Thanks in advance

On 4/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, malokd said:

Has anyone tried the Kobo omakase at Sushiko?  I have reservations for the vegan one for my pregnant wife's birthday

Thanks in advance

Yea, the non-vegan. It was pretty good, competition for Taro, but a little too much gilding of the Lilly for my taste (e.g., otoro topped with foie)

o-19.jpg

o-7.jpg

o-8.jpg

o-9.jpg

o-10.jpg

o-11.jpg

o-12.jpg

o-13.jpg

o-14.jpg

o-15.jpg

o-16.jpg

o-17.jpg

o-18.jpg

o-19.jpg

o-20.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks---based on those pics alone I am looking forward to my meal!  Will give full report on vegan omakase

Our meal didn't change much from Peasoup's photos above, except we didn't get any uni (presumably because they're out of season).  My thought - it's pretty freaking expensive for what we got.  Without the extras that we ordered, it's $160 pp (tax and tip included, breaks down to $120 for food, $12 for tax, and $24 for 20% tip).  I'm sure the booze and extras added at least another $50 pp.  For a Friday 6 p.m. seating (we arrived a little earlier), there were only two of us at Kobo.  We left shortly after 7.

The obvious comparison is with Sushi Taro, but they're not really comparable.  Sushi Taro has a much wider selection of seafood and they don't gussy up the seafood with other things.  Still, if you have money to blow, it's a tasty enough experience that one shouldn't shy away from.

First dish - oyster - smoked with a smoke gun (served under a dome, and you can see wisps of smoke just above the oyster).  The white rectangle is the oyster, trimmed down to look like tofu.  I thought it was ankimo (monkfish liver) at first because that's what the oyster tasted like, but it still had the slippery texture of oyster.  The menu describes it as cherry smoked hama oyster, shiso air foam, sea grape, ikura, and some edible flower (viola flier)

ETA:  Like at a kid's b-day party, we each went home with a goodie bag of sesame dressing, a piece of candy, a pen that says Kobo on its side, and a printed menu.

Kobo - Smoked Oyster.JPG

Second dish - poached egg with gold flakes, sturgeon caviar, asparagus, spring onion blossom, and delicious dashi.  

Kobo - Poached Egg.JPG

Third dish - "signature otsukuri"  Really tuna tartare with goat cheese, candied onion.  This tasted like and has the texture of tofu that's served with 1,000 year old egg that one might get at Chinese brunch (i.e., mixed with lots of sesame seed oil and a bit of soy sauce).

Kobo - Tuna Tartare.JPG

4th - blow-torched Wagyu with shaved black truffle

Kobo - Wagyu Truffle.JPG

5th - shrooms dashi 

Kobo - dashi.JPG

Then comes the fancy nigiri

Butterfish

Kobo - Butterfish.JPG

scallop with lime zest (very noticeable flavor)

Kobo - scallop.JPG

saba (mackerel) with truffle and basil, tomato (all I could taste was the saba, which kind of overwhelmed everything else)

Kobo - Mackerel.JPG

Spot prawn caviar

Kobo - spot prawn.JPG

chu-toro, spring onion blossom

Kobo -chu toro.JPG

sake (salmon)

Kobo -salmon.JPG

otoro, foie gras leeks

Kobo -otoro.JPG

seared foie, shiso

Kobo - seared foie.JPG

We ordered 3 additional pieces of nigiri (chef's choice)

Blue fin tuna with bottarga

Kobo - blue fin bottarga.JPG

Medai with salsa

Kobo - Medai salsa.JPG

wagyu tartare with some egg yolk

Kobo - wagyu tartare.JPG

• Like 5

Any recent meals at Kobo?  I'm curious to know how they're doing since the chef left. 

On 6/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, lotus125 said:

Any recent meals at Kobo?  I'm curious to know how they're doing since the chef left. 

Screenshot 2019-07-14 at 16.32.23.png