J. Paul's, Saloon in Georgetown Park Mall with Steaks, Raw Bar, Scotch, and a Kitchen Fire - Closed Dec 31, 2018

vsky said:
Information regarding the USDA quality of beef for J.Paul’s is flat out wrong. It's USDA Choice, period. You may want to be careful to consider where you get your information.

The assertion that this restaurant cannot produce a 16oz NY strip, not your call to make, and again, flat out wrong.

The steaks (with the exception of the bone-in filet) do not come precut and cryovac-ed; again false information.

If you wonder why I'm even discussing this as I don't work there, it's because when a restaurant where someone you care for works, and their work is misrepresented in a forum that you participate it, it just doesn't seem okay...even if they aren't a “sacred cow”, they might be sacred to you.

Anya

J. Paul's? Isn't this place just the M Street/Inner Harbor tourist trap joint or am I confusing it with something else?

For some reason you chose to use J.Paul’s and the one steak you mentioned in common to support your premise of lower-priced steaks, which was true by $1. You are factually accurate there. That being said there are lines being crossed by your second statement, that I think have no place on this board, but that's not my call to make.

Information regarding the USDA quality of beef for J.Paul’s is flat out wrong. It's USDA Choice, period. You may want to be careful to consider where you get your information.

The assertion that this restaurant cannot produce a 16oz NY strip, not your call to make, and again, flat out wrong.

The steaks (with the exception of the bone-in filet) do not come precut and cryovac-ed; again false information.

It's your choice as a restaurant owner to validate your own quality of food by devaluing others. However if in a public forum, to incorrectly devalue the food quality of another in your industry...it's in poor taste, and that seems to ultimately takes away from the value of your restaurant.

The bottom-line is that you misrepresented another restaurant, and ultimately those in who work in the kitchen - multiple times, and it makes me wonder why you cannot extol upon your own virtues without having to falsely represent others, I would think that it's diminishing to your own establishment to say the least.

If you wonder why I'm even discussing this as I don't work there, it's because when a restaurant where someone you care for works, and their work is misrepresented in a forum that you participate it, it just doesn't seem okay...even if they aren't a “sacred cow”, they might be sacred to you.

Anya

If information about the quality of the beef is wrong, then it's wrong. It doesn't change the fact that the food, the service, and the crowd at J Paul's is uniformly mediocre to terrible.

For what it's worth, I have always thought the "J Paul's Ale" was the best product that Old Dominion ever made. A variation on their "Old Dominion Ale" to be sure, but the best one they made. And the few times I've been, they cooked my burger like I asked, too. So, in my book, there's no reason to trash the place. It is what it is.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I have always thought the "J Paul's Ale" was the best product that Old Dominion ever made. A variation on their "Old Dominion Ale" to be sure, but the best one they made. And the few times I've been, they cooked my burger like I asked, too. So, in my book, there's no reason to trash the place. It is what it is.

You're right, it is what it is. I've been there a couple of times and I don't remember anything terrible about the place. But it is built on a sort of "tourist trap" model-- get 'em in, get 'em out, appeal to the masses. I suppose it might be more accurate to say that, other then it's location, it's an unremarkable restaurant. Are there any great or even good restaurants at the Inner Harbor? I mean other than Hooter's of course.

I guess I always had a soft spot for J Paul's because back in the day, some of my buddies worked there. A fine place to have a beer and to hit on frat boys and/or the type of girl who likes that look. But...the raw bar in the front window is actually an excellent place to have a few bivalves and a cold frosty while watching the world walk down M Street. And once, the shucker found a tiny pearl he gave to my daughter...

• Like 1

I had dinner there before a Blues Alley show a couple of months ago. I remember that they had a couple of Happy Hour specials, but the food and drink were pretty unremarkable. Location was good and the place was empty (eash for us to get in and out quickly). I did not have the steak, so I will not comment on the quailty of the meat.

I have not ever had a reason to disparage J. Paul's. I think in general the food was better in the past - they were really one of the first restaurants to have sweet potato fries, and have had one of the best french toast dishes around. It has always been an easy place to hang out and in our over 20 years of the occasional breakfast and dinner there, I do not recall poor service. I don't think when it opened it was ever intended to be a tourist trap - but by virtue of its location and the popularity of Georgetown, it is hard for any of those restaurants that serve burgers and other staples, to not become popular with a mass audience. I don't think it is a good as Old Glory (which has the same ownership), but is better than Mr. Smith's and Johnny Rockets. The raw bar is a big plus as well.

We met up with my cousins at J.Pauls as it used to be a place they hung out when they lived in DC (about 15 years ago).  We had bloody mary's which were good- no bacon or other nonsense.  My second could have done with a bit more old spice, but I am from Maryland, and my preferred level of old spice is high.   We had two dozen oysters, which were very good.  Nicely shucked- a lot of liquid still in the shell, not torn up in any way.  Then Matt and I split their benedict and some fries (We didn't realize our benedict would come with home fries, wasn't on the menu) it was probably more potato than we needed.  The benedict was fine- had a little spinach the hollandaise was prepared well.  The biscuits I am sure came from frozen, but I wasn't expecting homemade.  The bar on a Sunday morning still smells a little rough in my opinion, but our bartenders were nice and attentive.  The fruit salad side made me wonder- how many people actually eat it, I would venture to guess they are wasting a lot of food with that, as normal, the fruits aren't all ripe and aren't really seasonal or exciting in any way.  We could have done without it.  It is everything you expect it to be, and nothing more.  Not that I thought it would be, just reporting in.

• Like 1

I used to go there a fair amount in the 80s into the early 90s. At some point in the 90s, I pretty much stopped going to Georgetown. I haven't been to J. Paul's in many years but still have happy memories. My parents never ate out with me much in DC, but that's one of the places we went.

I'll try to get back there again before they close.