Vodka

This entire article supports my assertion that many vodka drinkers buy pricey vodka for reasons other than taste.

Just as some consumers wear expensive clothes to display their wealth, I honestly feel that a lot of vodka drinkers buy expensive vodka to show off, even though in many cases, the brand makes no difference whatsoever to the taste of many cocktails.

Business Week vodka tasting article and results

Smirnoff always seems to acquit itself very well in these sorts of tastings. Remember the full-page ad that they took out in the New York Times when they won the New York Times vodka taste-off? I never recommend any vodka more expensive than Smirnoff for any cocktails involving fruit juice (or any other sweet ingredient) or for things like Bloody Marys, because with all of the heavy flavors involved, you'll never notice the quality or nuances of any vodka used for the base.

Maybe I've said this before, but to me, most vodka is like gasoline, one should only spend enough to get the job done and no more. If some guy came to you and told you that they had the greatest gasoline in the whole world, and it is $15/gallon, you'd look at them like they were completely crazy, why spend more on that than you need to? You're doing perfectly well with $3.00-4.00(+?) per gallon, so why waste money, especially if you won't notice or appreciate any difference?

Maybe I've said this before, but to me, most vodka is like gasoline, one should only spend enough to get the job done and no more.

While I agree with this when it comes to mixed drinks--and I don't ever drink vodka cocktails--I generally drink vodka neat, out of the freezer, with caviar or smoked fish appetizers. And I am looking for more than alcohol. I prefer potato vodkas, which actually have some flavor, and I like 'em smooth. I use inexpensive potato vodka, like Luksosova, to make lemon vodka. I macerate Meyer lemon peels from 3 or 4 lemons in a bottle of Luksosova for 4-6 weeks in the pantry, and then put it in the freezer. With caviar, it's da bomb!

While I agree with this when it comes to mixed drinks--and I don't ever drink vodka cocktails--I generally drink vodka neat, out of the freezer, with caviar or smoked fish appetizers. And I am looking for more than alcohol. I prefer potato vodkas, which actually have some flavor, and I like 'em smooth. I use inexpensive potato vodka, like Luksosova, to make lemon vodka. I macerate Meyer lemon peels from 3 or 4 lemons in a bottle of Luksosova for 4-6 weeks in the pantry, and then put it in the freezer. With caviar, it's da bomb!

You need to try Cirrus potato vodka, then. Mops the floor with the rest. It's the house vodka at the Inn at Little Washington, and it's the one vodka that actually impressed the notorious vodka-hater Jeffrey Morgenthaler. It's MUCH less expensive than the ridiculously-overpriced Christiania and Cold Creek and even Chopin.

You need to try Cirrus potato vodka, then. Mops the floor with the rest. It's the house vodka at the Inn at Little Washington, and it's the one vodka that actually impressed the notorious vodka-hater Jeffrey Morgenthaler. It's MUCH less expensive than the ridiculously-overpriced Christiania and Cold Creek and even Chopin.

It can take a long time for us to finish a bottle of vodka, but I will look for Cirrus when I need some. I think I ran across Blue Ice (mentioned in a response to the blog) in a liquor store--intrigued by the idea of an Idaho potato vodka, but the price probably stopped me from making an impulse buy, since I still have some Chopin and some home-infused Luksosova lemon vodka in the freezer.