Perennial best-of-Baltimore winner Greg's Bagels is worth the trip just for the amazing salmon selections he carries. One day you're in the mood for a really really good piece of nova, another day you're all about the hand-chipped Alaskan salmon that's been smoked on the Alaskan shore where it was landed.

(Are they really open until 6pm nowadays? I thought he closes around 3...)

It's more expensive than his other choices (like $7.50 vs $6.99, iirc) but try the "Czar" sometime. Don't worry, Greg will let you know if he thinks you're asking for a topping combo that's inappropriate for the flavor of the fish.

post-710-1211637001_thumb.jpg

(Are they really open until 6pm nowadays? I thought he closes around 3...)

It's more expensive than his other choices (like $7.50 vs $6.99, iirc) but try the "Czar" sometime. Don't worry, Greg will let you know if he thinks you're asking for a topping combo that's inappropriate for the flavor of the fish.

sacrilege! onion and tomato on that salmon!

The Baltimore Sun and Metromix both agree that his hours are actually Tuesday-Friday: 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Satuday: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday: 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. However, I strongly advise always calling (410-323-9463) before making the trip up there, and with the goal of arriving well before 3. If they're having a slow day, or ran out of bagels and didn't want to fire up more, they may close early. OTOH, if they know you're coming from DC they will make an effort to stay open for you. Also Greg tends to take long trips to europe unexpectedly. OTOH, Daedalous Books and the Belvedere Market can almost make up for Greg's being closed, but I prefer them all to be open. Just call before you go, really. It's better that way.