Kanishka

Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen, an Enormous Atlanta-Based Franchise Acquired by AFC Enterprises in 1993

Onion rings, Cajun fries, Cajun rice - all AWESOME!

And is it just me, or were the biscuits fluffier, butterier, and overall just better in the 80s?

I was thinking the same thing last month when I broke down for one of my 2-3 times a year stops at Popeye's. The biscuits WERE better, just a year ago! The biscuit I had recently was flat, dry and chalky tastig...much more like what I come to expect from KFC. The chicken, however...was just as yummy as ever. I should clarify that I really go here for the chicken crust...it's the part I like and the reason that I usually buy wings...I frankly couldn't care less about the chicken meat itself.

Most Sundays, I throw my dog in the car, run over to the Glover Park Whole Foods for the weekly groceries, and then stop by the Guy Mason dog park next door so Kiko can have a run. What with all the Popeye's talk over on the Chick-fil-A thread, I says to myself this morning why not check out the Newark Street dog park up behind McLean Gardens after Whole Foods, and then zip by the Tenleytown Popeye's for some Fried Chicken. So that's what Kiko and I did. We'd never been to the Newark Street park, which opened in 2010, I think. It's pretty nice, fairly large, with a crushed-stone surface. No trees, but there is a little sort of pavilion that provides shade, and unlike Walter Pierce park there's a water supply inside the dog park. Anyway, I got two pieces of chicken with red beans and rice to go, and took it home and ate it with a nice chilled rosé. I hadn't had Popeye's for a couple of years. I don't know if they've changed their formula or their ingredients, but the rice in the red beans and rice was awful. In the past, it always seemed like "converted" rice (like Uncle Ben's) -- not my favorite, but not bad. What I got today seemed like pre-cooked, dehydrated, and reconstituted -- i.e., Minute-- Rice. The red beans seemed inferior to what I remembered as well, although not as dramatically so. The chicken was wonderful as always--crunchy coating, succulent meat, tasty. I may have to rethink my side order in the future. Still, way better than my one sandwich at Chick-fil-A.

And could we change the title of this thread to Popeyes? Obviously quite a few of the posters in this thread have a positive view of the fried chicken chain.

Count me as another big fan of Popeye's chicken. My go-to place was on Columbia Road, so my waist line and cholesterol count is grateful that it's closed, but I'm with Sietsema on this one. It was the only fast-food place that I thought was worth the calories. I couldn't care less about the sides, so have no comment on that, except to say that I was always sorely disappointed that the local place never had the green beans. Those might have been remotely worth eating and worth what little calorie count was involved. Still, a spicy breast was all I have ever longed for.

Fried okra was/is excellent. I do love that Popeye chicken breast if only outlets were more prevalent in our area.

When I was in college, I lived right next door to a Popeye's with a drive-through that stayed open very, very late. It was always rather disconcerting to be awakened at 1 a.m. by some drunk yelling into the order speaker, "Hello! Hello! I need two spicy breasts!"

Does Popeye's still serve fried gizzards? Oh my...they were delicious.

Popeye's always sounds to me like a better idea then it ends up being.

I do love the biscuits and mashed potatoes.

One thing I've noticed about Popeye's is that it's pretty inconsistent between franchises. The chicken at the Tenleytown location is tastier and less greasy than the 14th St location. My uncle and cousin in Boston used to go to a further away Popeye's because they knew and could taste that the oil was changed more frequently. I'm guessing it's a similar situation here.

I do like that the gravy for the potatoes have little meat bits in it still. Mmm...

One thing I've noticed about Popeye's is that it's pretty inconsistent between franchises. The chicken at the Tenleytown location is tastier and less greasy than the 14th St location.

I find the same thing. The Popeye's on Rockville Pike I enjoy for a treat, while the Popeyes that used to be at the Cabin John shopping center (shut down last year) was TERRIBLE - I would drive past Cabin John and go to Rockville Pike!!

I love the red beans & rice. I also like the fried crawfish when they have them. My local popeye's does not seem to have biscuits as good as the ones I had years ago in Texas... not sure if they changed the recipe or its just me.

The chicken I had at Popeyes' last week at the Rockville Pike/Old Georgetown Rd. store was seriously the best fried chicken I've eaten. Juicy, crunchy, spicy, the works.

To be fair, I've had a number of bad meals at the same location...dry, under-seasoned, etc., but when they nail it, they nail it.

And as a bonus, they have fried apple pies, like the ones McDonald's used to have before they wussed out and started baking them.

I love those things.

• Like 1

We came back and had some Popeyes after seeing it literally everywhere on our vacation and not eating it.  My favorite thing at Popeye's (I agree the chicken is good, I prefer spicy, but Hubby doesn't, so I sprinkle it with spices at home, or dip some particularly crunchy bits in sirracha) is actually the rice and beans, the bean ratio is heavy, but it is my favorite thing there.  The leftovers from this particle order of rice and beans got taken to work as lunch for me this week with a host of roasted vegetables leftover from our Zoe's take-out.  This was an excellent combination.

• Like 1

One just opened in the Twinbrook shopping center on Braddock Road in Fairfax.  I'm a huge hot chili pepper fan, so my husband stopped and picked up the ghost pepper wings.  They have a little kick, but not quite what I was expecting.

I was surprised to read all the praise of Popeyes biscuits earlier in the thread. I don't love them (and I love biscuits generally). I find them dense, dry, and chalky, and they have an odd margarine-like taste. Maybe the recipe has changed since those prior posts.

5 hours ago, dracisk said:

I was surprised to read all the praise of Popeyes biscuits earlier in the thread. I don't love them (and I love biscuits generally). I find them dense, dry, and chalky, and they have an odd margarine-like taste. Maybe the recipe has changed since those prior posts.

I am really picky about biscuits, I don't love theirs.

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

I am really picky about biscuits, I don't love theirs.

This is funny. I'm also picky about biscuits, and I like Popeye's more than most.

1 hour ago, Bob Wells said:

This is funny. I'm also picky about biscuits, and I like Popeye's more than most.

My problem with Popeye's biscuits is that I can taste the shortening in a big way (it's the "margarine-like taste") that dracisk refers to up above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, frogprince said:

Nothing says Mardi Gras like a steady diet of Popeye's (ps- its carnival time y'all!!!!)

Maybe *during* Carnival would be Les Gross? (I actually knew a policeman named Les Gross.)

• Haha 2

I have to agree that the sides at Popeye's are the best thing about the place.  However, growing up in NY, our greasy chicken chain was Church's.  I know Popeye's has good biscuits, but Church's biscuits are more buttery, and fluffier.  

On 1/19/2018 at 4:34 PM, Bob Wells said:

It's what you are used to, my great grandmother made biscuits in lard, so I like the crisp outside.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Has anyone tried the chicken sandwich?  It returns on Nov. 3.

I tried one during the first run. It was pretty good for a fast food chicken sandwich. I've only had chic fil a once, so can't really compare the two, though.