BreadSoda, Wisconsin Avenue in Glover Park

I used to work in that building. The only unfortunate thing is that the location is pretty hidden from the street and foot traffic. Sounds like it has alot to offer, though.
There's an extensive patio visible from the sidewalk, which helps a bit.

The exterior hiddenness might be a nice asset, as the chair in the farthest corner of the patio, against the building, is a mysteriously tranquil place if you lean back, and ideal for watching the crowd mingle. Something about the angle of the converging walls, I think.

On the interior, it's gotta be darts OR Wii, since I'm pretty sure they're occupying the same space. Unless Nintendo has a new dodge-flying-darts game that I haven't heard about!

Three pool tables, numerous flat-screen televisions, lots of Ferment_Everything-chosen beers, a few better-than-decent wines on the list (whistles innocently to self....) and some tasty deli food. What's not to love? :lol:

The staff is energetic and friendly and happily busy. That patio area can comfortably seat 50, from the looks of it.

I love the Steve McQueen/Bullitt tribute, too.

The fact that the place is below street level is a double-edged sword. You kind of have to know where it is (right across Wisconsin Ave. from the carpet store, the BodyWorks gym, the Subway shop) It's the office building with the Vespa dealership, Theodore's and the language school, which they are right next to.

breadsoda promises to be a nice place to while away an evening with friends.

Funny, I thought the barkeep was in charge of pickling the customers? :lol:
They pickle the customers. I just pickle the vegetables.

Thanks for the nice words, Joe. The ferment_everything-chosen beer list is, indeed, awesome.

Am I supposed to understand the name of this place?
Apparently:
If you are wondering the meaning of Breadsoda, it was nicknamed for a beer brewed during prohibition made from baking soda that was served in the speakeasies.
It also pops up in Ulysses, but as far as that being understandable, well, that's a tossup.

Am I supposed to understand the name of this place?
As I understand it, "breadsoda" is a prohibition-era euphemism for beer. It's also mentioned in a song by Sebadoh, for all you Lou Barlow fans out there.

Mother's in the kitchen, washing out the jugs;

Sister's in the pantry, bottling the suds;

Father's in the cellar, mixing up the hops;

Johnny's on the porch, watching for the cops.

I'm headed over here most likely with a friend tonight. What Eric D.-selected "breadsodas" can I expect to enjoy?

The taplist that I put together:

1) Victory Prima Pils

2) North Coast Rasputin

3) Bell's Two-Hearted

4) Troeg's HopBack

5) Greenwich Meantime IPA

6) Old Speckled Hen

7) Gaffel Kolsch

8) Ayinger Hefe Weiss

9) Delirium Tremens

10) Floris Wit

11) Kasteel Brune

12) Gouden Carolus Tripel

13) Miller Lite

14) Guiness

I know they had some availability issues with at least a couple of those, and, as with any bar stocking these sorts of beers, the list will change with availability and seasonal beers coming and going. But yea, it's a fun list :lol:

The taplist that I put together:

13) Miller Lite

14) Guiness

The brewmaster of a local brewpub once confided in me that they sold more Bud and Bud Light than all of their house brews COMBINED. But that was ok with him, because the profit margins on the Bud were much higher than on the stuff that he brewed. In fact he needed to sell a lot of mass product at mass markup in order to deal with the razor thin profit margins on the in-house stuff.

I enjoyed the Bells IPA and the Troegs Hop Back. Lisa was in summer mode with her Floris Wit. They were out of (or otherwise unable to pour) the Old Speckled Hen, Victory Pils, and Ayinger Hefe Weiss when we asked for them. We saw a lot of "fussing about" in the keg room. I'm guessing that the availability problems that Ferment Everything alluded to are still being worked out, as are some other kinks. Our sandwiches were mighty tasty but sadly lacking pickles :lol:

This place has a lot of potential. Good times last night.

How sad.

Odious, but alas, necessary. They'd be fools not to carry it. This is a Miller town, for better or for worse.

Most of the breadsoda crowd is twenty-somethings. They need one or two beer options that are a little more affordable. They also need something that they can recognize and feel comfortable with.

I look at Miller Lite as a "gateway" beer at breadsoda, too. Maybe a few customers will start with that and then have enough curiosity to try something different. They'll see those handsome Gaffel Kolsch glasses and satisfied drinkers and give it a shot, or maybe try a friend's Floris Wit and say, "Damn, that's delicious! Gimme one 'o them, too!"

By the way, last night the Bell's Two-Hearted Ale ran out, so it looks as though enough adventurous beer drinkers are finding breadsoda.

Anybody eaten anything there yet?
We had sandwiches there (one BLT on ww, one tomato/mozz/basil on baguette). Both came with choice of cole slaw or potato salad, plus a theoretical pickle (they were out when we got ours :lol: ). The BLT was very good and the tomato/mozz/basil was OK. Ingredients are everything and the bacon was fantastic. The tomato was less so, but that is certainly to be expected at this time of year.

The tomato was less so, but that is certainly to be expected at this time of year.
Your kind words are much appreciated. :lol: Our tomatoes as of this week are from Toigo Orchards, so they should be a little better the next time you're here.

It's nice to see reasonable prices throughout that menu, nothing over $7 on the food side. I look forward to trying this out.

I second the confusion about the music choice for the website. I'm picturing Steve McQueen in a skintight baby blue suit stomping around the streets of San Francisco as opposed to a pub serving Gouden Caroulus and roast beef sandwiches.

Most of the breadsoda crowd is twenty-somethings. They need one or two beer options that are a little more affordable. They also need something that they can recognize and feel comfortable with.

Agreed. It helps to remember that not everybody can afford to drink beers that cost $6+ when they go out (and speaking from experience, this is not strictly relegated to the twenty-somethings). A lack of a cheap beer alternative would turn me off completely to BreadSoda. However, now I know that I can go there and splurge on a "fancy" beer to have with my sandwich, but then have cheap beer while I'm playing pool. Of course, I'd much prefer Bud or Bud Light, but thats another story.... :lol:

I don't understand the music for the website. Or at least the beginning of it reminds me of a horror movie soundtrack. The rest kinda sounds like an early 80s cop movie. But that might be the point looking at some of the other pages.
The owners are nuts for Bullitt, starring Steve McQueen.

Ah, this sandwich menu is what I was hoping for at Sandwish up the street! Now I know I'll just have to go the other direction down Wisconsin Ave. to get my grilled cheese with bacon sandwich. I can't wait to try it soon!

I really think that Fritz's review captured the spirit and essence of breadsoda perfectly.

The beers are first-rate and under constant review (they just added Delirium yesterday and even at 8% ABV, it's refreshing and delicious in this beastly heat), but there is something for everyone, since some of the best sellers are Miller Lite on draught and Pabst Blue Ribbon in cans

Even though I had a tiny bit of influence on the assembly of the wine list, I'm never tempted to order any myself. For me, it's either beer or a cocktail, and the Dark and Stormy is as refreshing a heat-squelcher as you could want in a highball glass. I'm trying my darndest to get them more interested in offering Ti Punch or other such delicious rum-based drinks. I also hope to encourage them to offer the Sazerac cocktail and, eventually, the Gin Rickey.

When I go to breadsoda, it's usually to have a thoroughly delicious sandwich with some first-rate potato salad, drink a refreshing beer and watch a ballgame or whatever is on the t.v.'s, and chat with the folks who drop by. I've run into friends and acquaintances, customers and suppliers at breadsoda, and I always have a wonderful time there. breadsoda is a fun place. Isn't that all what anyone could ever want from a neighborhood watering hole?