On 8/24/2016 at 1:30 PM, tentimesodds said:

Glad to hear you had a good visit to our little town. I need to get back to Lampo to try that Hellboy...

I finally had the Hellboy a few weeks ago and it is ridiculously delicious.

On 10/2/2017 at 3:53 PM, ktmoomau said:

Crozet:

Smoked Kitchen and Taphouse - Hubby and I had beers, they have a small but nice list with Virginia options.  Hubby had pulled pork with delicious dirty rice, that was sort of a cross between dirty rice and rice pilaf and collards.  He said they had a nice mustard sauce and I think he also liked the vinegar sauce, which is more his thing normally.  I had the pulled pork nachos with cheese sauce, avocado, beans and salsa picante.  These were pretty darn good nachos. Big portion- too much for me to finish despite being VERY hungry.  I would say dinner for two, app for four.  I liked the cheese sauce a lot- it was like a queso, with an ample portion, but not in a way that made the chips too soggy.  There was a good portion of bbq and avocado, it had nice heat.  It could have used more beans, but that is a small critique.  We sat outside as the inside was mobbed with squealing little babes while we were there, and it was nice outside, but there were some flies, trade-offs.  I would go back here too.  In fact might take a friend who likes BBQ here if she comes down with me in November.

I've gone to Smoked a couple times now and it is really good. I also like the mustard sauce (which is my preferred style) but the other ones (save east Carolina vinegar style, which I hate in all forms) are great too. The fried chicken is also incredible and I have read that the burger is the best thing on the menu. If only they would serve it on their rooftop (they have a separate menu there) (https://smokedkt.com/the-rooftop/) which has an unbelievable view. On sides, the mac and cheese is great but I didn't care for the baked beans, probably a personal preference (had sausage in it and was just different than any other beans I've had).

We only ate out once over Easter- we went to Downtown Grille- I had their fish special which was very good, halibut with a really nice broth and some poached veggies.  But I am always a bit perplexed by restaurants that offer some entrees with sides and some without, the two specials had sides, but Hubby and FIL did not, but the shared sides were too much for just the two of them (and the brussels had way too much balsamic).  And in reality, the portion of our proteins were so big we likely didn't need salads, but that is hard to judge.  I just felt like you couldn't order the right amount of food.  There was also an odd cheese like odor in the restaurant.  It just wasn't one of my favorite Charlottesville meals.

Went to Charlottesville for the weekend:

Be Good- Fast casual in the Barracks Road shopping plaza with Anthropologie.  It is mostly salads, grain bowls and grass fed burgers?  I had an avocado grain bowl with chipotle sauce, black beans, quinoa, carrots, etc.  It was good, although I could have done with about 1/3 less dressing.  SIL and MIL had the salad version of my bowl with chicken- same problem on the dressing, but all the ingredients were good.  The menu was definitely interesting if you are trying to eat somewhat healthy, and they had vegetarian and vegan options.  But it isn't a destination restaurant.

Junction- now this is worth a drive across town.  It's in Belmont.  They had a large menu of shared plates and entrees, as well, with a somewhat southwestern theme to it.  We shared chips and dip plate (large) over 5 people.  The guac was good, the salsa I thought was very good, the queso was not good- it was too runny, and had a consistency which wasn't gritty per se, with large grit, but it wasn't smooth. Also some of the chips were noticeably stale, and many were broken.  I know they make their own, and it was really humid that day, and part of them were fine.  I am sure we could have asked for a new batch, but we just didn't it wasn't that bad and we ate the guac and salsa with other things.  I had soft shell crab over fried green tomatoes, micro-greens and some sort of sauce with a little grainy mustard mixed in- it was delicious- crisp, good flavors.  I also got a medium of the charred carrots with goat cheese and brussles sprouts (because they were out of beets).  The carrots were amazing, the medium is a big serving, I would say more than 3-4 people as a side.  Hubby and I ate some and took some home.  The brussels weren't anything anyone else isn't doing.  I would rather of had the beets, but they were fine.  Hubby had pork loin stuffed with chorizo and he really enjoyed that, as well.  Everyone really liked their dishes.  They had a nice selection of cocktails which were well made and wines/beers.  

Their is a cajun restaurant across the street in Belmont that I saw that I now want to try though.  It looked super cute and casual and fun.

Whiskey Jar- we went here for brunch.  The menu isn't huge, Hubby picked three sides and had a ham biscuit, collards and mac and cheese, it all looked good.  I had the scramble with no cheese.  Hashbrowns were of the moist and saucy variety, but they had good flavor.  The scramble was fine.  I had a hard time picking something from the menu, I think I am just getting over brunch in many ways.  Once in a while I want some benedict, or hash, but I just find most of brunch so heavy and without any veggies.  Based on who they source from though, I would think dinner would be good.

Sticks Kebob Shop- got pick up from there.  This is a perfectly ok place, it is essentially gentrified kabob in my mind, but not mad for a quick meal.  One a platter you get one stick, one side, a small bit of salad (not enough to say a side really), and rice. With two wedges of pita.  You can add on sides and more sticks.  I would have preferred less rice, more veg.  I think Zoe's Kitchen is much better, IMHO, but I don't think this place is a chain, which is nice.

Glenmore Country Club- had a really terrible lunch here.  The beef vegetable soup had no vegetables in it and so much fat that it would form a skim of fat on top if not stirred frequently in my bowl.  My Mom's french onion soup had big chunks of onion that were not carmelized, the crouton was tough you couldn't cut it with a spoon and since they didn't carmelize the onions they had to thicken the soup and it was not appealing, either.  The difference between the small salad and large salad was about the most pronounced difference one could imagine, I wish they had a medium.  The small comes on a plate that was about bread plate size and was like a small side.  The large is a huge bowl of salad that is more than I could likely eat in one setting.  Anyway, we were there to see my in-laws house construction, and I may just need to stick with a burger or etc.

Yoder's- this is more outside of Ruckersville towards Culpepper a bit.  Cafe, grocery, deli, bakery with mennonite foods and other goods.  Your typical bulk market on steroids, with a great deli.  We got chili, a steak sandwich and a bologna sandwich, all were quite good, the sandwiches had a good amount of meat, the bologna was thin sliced and good, the roast beef was good.  They have a nice selection of all sorts of baked goods, etc.  I would stop here again.

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

Yoder's- this is more outside of Ruckersville towards Culpepper a bit.  Cafe, grocery, deli, bakery with mennonite foods and other goods.  Your typical bulk market on steroids, with a great deli.  We got chili, a steak sandwich and a bologna sandwich, all were quite good, the sandwiches had a good amount of meat, the bologna was thin sliced and good, the roast beef was good.  They have a nice selection of all sorts of baked goods, etc.  I would stop here again.

I love Yoder's! For the last 4 years we've visited a farm a few minutes north of Yoder's and we've popped into Yoder's on every visit. The baked goods and sandwiches are delicious, and they have a great playground (with many Adirondack chairs nearby for parents to sit and watch kids) as well as a cute petting zoo. They're closed Sundays.

• Like 1

Carmello's- In the shopping center with the AutoZone and Marshalls.  The inside isn't much to speak of, this place used to be in another location.  It was very family friendly and we saw lots of tables with kids.  Our waiter was very nice, but extremely frazzled.  He didn't quite know what they had, didn't have, and just seemed to say whatever came to the top of his mind (he said they had no cappuccino because the staff drank it all?).  I got veal parmigana- which was a huge plate of veal, it came with a really small side of spaghetti that was overcooked and dry.  The veal itself was good.  Hubby got gnocchi and it compared to the veal it was a really small portion, so I gave him what I didn't eat.  I always think it's kind of tough when entrees have real disparities in size, it just makes it hard to know what to expect.  We had a bottle of Veritas cab franc which was quite good.  In addition there was a glass of riesling recommended by the waiter for my SIL she didn't drink it, just wasn't feeling it.  I sipped it and it was a little on the sweet side, but I really think it just needed to be a bit cooler and would have been better.  Anyway, I won't really be rushing to go back.  I had wanted to go to Vivace, but they just couldn't take a res for our party size.

Bebedero- we went here on Saturday around lunch time and they had a brunch menu.  It was very breakfast focused, I had wished there were a few more items that were a bit more lunch.  Hubby had the fish tacos, the one kind of lunch thing other than a salad and soup, which he said were very good, and made up for the abysmal ones he had in LA.  They looked very good.  I had huevos rancheros- which was eggs, beans, and a very salty chorizo sausage in ranchero sauce with sliced avocado and tortillas.  I didn't mind that it wasn't your typical version you get in the US with the tortillas already in the dish, and instead served on the side, but the whole avocados and sausage pieces meant it was a little difficult to eat.  I thought it was quite good, but just overly salty.  I would go back to try some other items at dinner.  I don't know that this is my favorite lunch though based on the brunch menu.  But I love the decor and I think at dinner they likely have some very good things.  

15 minutes ago, Keithstg said:

Any recent Charlottesville recommendations?

If recent means 2019, Lampo Pizzeria was really good (a level up from 2 Amys).

21 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

If recent means 2019, Lampo Pizzeria was really good (a level up from 2 Amys).

Sure - I'll take recent as anything from 2019 - just pre-covid.

19 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Sure - I'll take recent as anything from 2019 - just pre-covid.

The recommendation comes with a caveat.

We enjoyed our dinner at Lampo Pizzeria so much that we wanted to return for a second night. But our server mentioned that the owners had recently opened a steakhouse, right in the middle of the pedestrian mall, called Prime 109, so in the name of variety, we tried that instead.

We went to the upscale Prime 109, in an old bank building, and we wished we were back at the pizzeria. Everything was needlessly fussy, and the meal was merely "good" (and much more expensive) - honestly, it was surprising that both restaurants had the same owners: Lampo was truly special; Prime 109 was pleasant, but overly ambitious for what was arriving from the kitchen.

If it makes your decision(s) easier, Lampo is doing carryout only, and Prime 109 is closed for the foreseeable future.

Screenshot 2020-07-25 at 21.44.42.pngScreenshot 2020-07-25 at 21.43.29.png

Some pictures:

Lampo (don't let the first picture deceive you; that Little Gem Salad was great - that's a warm, mild lemon sauce on the bottom, the Little Gem Lettuces were lightly grilled and placed on top, and then the blanket of high quality, grated cheese - it was really delightful and if there was a predominant flavor it was slightly of lemon):

IMG_2109.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2114.jpgIMG_2120.jpg

Prime 109 (the cream settled down (literally) after a few minutes in both the mushrooms and the spinach (*)):

IMG_2144.jpgIMG_2148.jpgIMG_2150.jpgIMG_2151.jpgIMG_2152.jpgIMG_2154.jpgIMG_2155.jpg(*)IMG_2158.jpgIMG_2156.jpgIMG_2157.jpgIMG_2159.jpg

Thanks! We're staying at Farmington, so takeout is an option, just not a super-desirable one. Could work for lunch though. Thanks again.

15 hours ago, Keithstg said:

Thanks! We're staying at Farmington, so takeout is an option, just not a super-desirable one. Could work for lunch though. Thanks again.

While you're there, you can steal their chef. :)