National Harbor Farmers Market

We ventured across the river on Saturday (looking for kettle corn) and checked out the American Marketplace at National Harbor. The fruit/produce selection is limited to just a handful of farmers, all of whom had a nice selection. We picked up some tasty Sungold cherry tomatoes, garlic, a nice fat eggplant, and some delicious donut peaches, plums, and apples. There are a variety of other vendors selling everything from pickles to paella to peanuts and several stalls with crafts and jewelry. The smoothie and gelato stands and the 'crazee ice' truck were doing a brisk business. The crowd appeared to be a mix of curious locals and guests staying at the National Harbor.

I wouldn't rush back just for the market, but if you're in the area or looking for a little outing, stop by. The atrium in the Gaylord hotel is quite impressive (as are the prices at the restaurants - and not in a good way). Ride the elevator to the top (19th) floor for a great view north to DC. The 'boardwalk' is also a nice place for a stroll and is the new home for "The Awakening" sculpture that formerly resided at Hain's Point.

Unfortunately, it looks the experience from last summer (as detailed in article cheezepowder linked to above) has resulted in there being zero fruit/vegetable farmer participation at the American Market this year. The location has been moved down into the 'Las Ramblas'-inspired pedestrian area, still housed under the white tents. While there are several food vendors of mostly baked goods, the only farm producer was Roseda Meats. They were grilling hot dogs and steakburgers and probably had some of their meat products available from the small refrigerator truck parked by their stand. I went for the kettle corn. Calvert Kettle Corn will be popping there most Saturdays (or at least selling pre-bagged kettle corn). No line - a far cry from the 50-person deep lines they often generate at the USDA market on Fridays. Food items for sale included cobblers, 'Havana Banana Bread', and some other sweets. There was also scented rocks(?), soaps, and lots of jewelry.

I'll probably go back because it's a wonderful bike ride across the Wilson Bridge and I don't have to wait in line for the best. kettle corn. ever. :D But I'll be hitting the Del Ray market before I make the trip across the bridge.