Dmnkly

Grace Garden, Szechuan on Annapolis Road in Odenton - Chef Li Comes From Hunan Manor in Columbia - Closed Nov 4, 2019

25 minutes ago, Marty L. said:

The fridge is almost cleaned out, so tomorrow night (Tuesday) is the last dance for Grace Garden--the most unusual, and most nights the best, Chinese restaurant in the DMV for the past 14 years.  Very sad to be losing such an idiosyncratic, family-run place with a master at the helm.  (The meal we had tonight might have been the best ever.)  

That’s preposterous.  Grace Garden has some good dishes but it was never at the level of Peter Chang.  Let’s not get carried away with overenthousiastic praise.  

I agree that the original Chang restaurant was the best--and that he, like Chef Li, remains capable of hitting those highs on occasion.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh so many places I just love so much are closing. I am so sad. But glad for them.

I just called, they are open.  The website has a message saying Mr and Mrs Li no longer own it.  No clue about the presence of fish noodles.

15 hours ago, Toogs said:

I just called, they are open.  The website has a message saying Mr and Mrs Li no longer own it.  No clue about the presence of fish noodles.

These two statements are mutually exclusive: "They are open."  "Mr. & Mrs. Li no longer own it."

Someone else might have bought the name and the fixtures, but the restaurant that is the subject of this thread is, I assure you, no longer open for business.

For the moment the website shows the old Traditional menu. I hope someone who lives closer by will go and try it out if they continue to offer this menu. 

Has Chef Li personally manned the wok by himself all these years?  If not, his second may still be at the restaurant wokking out the same dishes.

27 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Has Chef Li personally manned the wok by himself all these years?  If not, his second may still be at the restaurant wokking out the same dishes.

Yes he did.  His "second" was Mrs. Li.

• Haha 1

Although very rare, there were nights when I saw another chef manning the kitchen or helping out. I would guess that the restaurant passed over to them when the Lis retired, although recent Yelp reviews indicate that the menu has indeed changed "somewhat."