Suggestions for a 1:30 PM Sunday Lunch

Hello,

My brother is going to be in Baltimore this weekend for a conference, so I, and some family members am going to meet him for a late lunch on Sunday (around 1:30). Usually in Baltimore I love to go to the Helmand, but it is closed for lunch. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice place for a good lunch where we can talk and catch up? We'd like to have both a good "outside near the harbor" suggestion, and also a back-up plan that is a regular indoors place in case it rains (does not need to be near the harbor)

Thanks!

When I think of the area near the Harbor, and I think of any place with outdoor seating I can only think of chains like Outback, Hooters, and Phillips. Baltimore isn't really much of an eat outdoors city unless you're doing it in the park. There's Edo Sushi in the Harbor. But the only place that rushes to mind is Bo Brooks Crab House in Canton. I remember the regular food being just okay there (this was about five or six years ago), but the crabs being pretty solid.

Coming out of the woodwork to answer your question. It’s going to be 95 degrees this weekend so I am ignoring the outdoor part. Lebanese Taverna in Harbor East would be my first choice close to the harbor, it is too bad Cinghiale doesn’t serve lunch on Sundays. You could also take the water taxi over to Fells Point – it is a lovely ride – and have lunch at the Black Olive or Mezze.

Hello,

My brother is going to be in Baltimore this weekend for a conference, so I, and some family members am going to meet him for a late lunch on Sunday (around 1:30). Usually in Baltimore I love to go to the Helmand, but it is closed for lunch. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice place for a good lunch where we can talk and catch up? We'd like to have both a good "outside near the harbor" suggestion, and also a back-up plan that is a regular indoors place in case it rains (does not need to be near the harbor)

Thanks!

I think they are calling for rain this weekend, which means it'll probably be sunny. In any case, James Joyce Pub in Harbor East has a nice little patio, and their food is pretty solid. Despite ample outside seating, I would avoid any of the Harbor restaurants if at all possible. If you don't mind traveling a bit, there's "b" in Bolton Hill, which is actually owned by the Karzai family, who also own The Helmand. A little further in east in Fells there are a few options, including the dependable if ordinary DuClaw, and Kawasaki which has decent sushi. Take the fam on the water taxi from the harbor to Fells - it'll be an adventure!

Just to close the loop, we ended up at Mezze (my aunt chose it from Open Table, as it was open at 1:30. Food was pretty good, service was totally strange, disjointed, and, well, just bad. We ended up bringing the check downstairs to pay ourselves! Plus, it took 25 minutes to get a cup of coffee and 3 espressos after lunch. Still, it was fine for what we needed -- a place where we could chat and eat -- and I actually liked the Imam Biyildi better than the one at Zaytinya.