How are you pickling your cherries? I've steeped them in cognac before and was not enamored with the results, but I never thought of pickling them. (In my head I keep picturing cherries+dill pickles, which I know isn't what you're doing but which still grosses me out anyway.)

I can post the recipe when I get home tonight if you want, but it called for rice wine vinegar, water, a few peppercorns, a slice of ginger and sugar. I didn't have enough rice wine vinegar so I went 1/2 & 1/2 with champagne vinegar. I also didn't have fesh ginger so I just put a little of the crushed I had jarred in my fridge (the horror :P). I tasted one this morning quickly as I was leaving and it was delicious, but I'll eat a couple tonight once they've had a full 24 hrs to pickle and post the results.

Current seasonal fascination: the colonial-era sour cherry cordial known as cherry bounce. I'd been steeping Luxardo cherries and syrup in bourbon anyway just to use them up, but it's time to try making this from scratch.

I egaerly await the results. Not sure I'm up for the from scratch recipe, but I do have some cherry juice pooling in the bottom of the bowl of remaining cherries and these pickled cherries that need cocktails to go into. :)

ETA: Qwertyy, found the recipe and the accompanying homeward angel drink recipe here.

Current seasonal fascination: the colonial-era sour cherry cordial known as cherry bounce. I'd been steeping Luxardo cherries and syrup in bourbon anyway just to use them up, but it's time to try making this from scratch.

Did you ever make this?

Qwertyy, final verdict on the pickled sour cherries - delicious. I am really sad I couldn't get back to the market the following week to get another quart before the season ended. :(

Hey folks -

I'm looking for dried cherries, preferably dried sour cherries, that are not sweetened.

I generally get them at Mediterranean Bakery, but they were out this weekend,  and this has happened more and more lately. Yekta carries them, but their dried cherries still have pits in them, and that won't work for me. So, thoughts? Thanks!

3 hours ago, saf said:

Hey folks -

I'm looking for dried cherries, preferably dried sour cherries, that are not sweetened.

I generally get them at Mediterranean Bakery, but they were out this weekend,  and this has happened more and more lately. Yekta carries them, but their dried cherries still have pits in them, and that won't work for me. So, thoughts? Thanks!

So, dried, unpitted, unsweetened cherries - any other restrictions such as additives?

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

So, dried, unpitted, unsweetened cherries - any other restrictions such as additives?

Well, I would say they had been pitted. As to additives, I have never seen them with anything added so I have no idea on that. What would they add?

12 hours ago, saf said:

Hey folks -

This has driven me nuts for years; they're stupidly hard to find. Recently the Bethesda Co-Op had them but I can't say if they still do.

Do mail order from Chukar Cherries. They're excellent.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, curls said:

Trader Joe's has dried pitted cherries. They always has sweet dried cherries and sometimes they have tart dried cherries.

Their cherries have added sugar, or at least they did last time I looked.

16 hours ago, DonRocks said:

🤭

It's kind of like Amelia Bedelia - do you dust or un-dust? And is dusting powder involved?

14 hours ago, porcupine said:

Do mail order from Chukar Cherries. They're excellent.

Thank you - I'll check them out.

@saf just checked the Trader Joe's bag of dried bing cherries I have in my pantry and it is labeled as unsweetened and unsulfured. Only ingredient is cherries. So, a change for the better in their dried fruits. I agree with porcupine, Chukar cherries are excellent. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of dried cherries.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:09 AM, curls said:

@saf just checked the Trader Joe's bag of dried bing cherries I have in my pantry and it is labeled as unsweetened and unsulfured. Only ingredient is cherries. So, a change for the better in their dried fruits. I agree with porcupine, Chukar cherries are excellent. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison of dried cherries.

Thanks!

I found dried unsweetened bing cherries at the Takoma Park Co-Op this weekend. Not as good as sour cherries, but will do, so I got them. I'll have to go look at Trader Joe's next time I am near one.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, saf said:

Hey folks -

Don't think y'all have Sprouts grocery stores nearby but I noticed in my circular that the bulk dried tart cherries will be on sale this week.  No idea whether they are unsweetened, but it seems like they might show up in stores that have a good selection of dried fruit in the bulk bins.  Perhaps Whole Foods might have them? I had thought that the TJs cherries would have been sweetened so it is good to know that they are an option.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, saf said:

Hey folks -

Bethesda Co-Op has unsweetened dried sour cherries (as of yesterday).