On 1/23/2019 at 1:32 PM, Tweaked said:

It is interesting, when I was scoping out places in Albuquerque earlier this year I found lots of places that opened early for breakfast.  The Grove Cafe & Market was the best place we went to and it operates as a breakfast/lunch venue closing at 3pm.

I adored Albuquerque breakfasts - Huevos Rancheros with Blue-Corn Tortillas, mmmmm!

12 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I adored Albuquerque breakfasts - Huevos Rancheros with Blue-Corn Tortillas, mmmmm!

New Mexico generally has great breakfasts. I don't tend to eat breakfast real often, but I eat it every day when I'm in NM.

14 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Try the bison huevos rancheros at SD.  Admittedly I'm more into the whole huevos rancheros with its spicyness and meatyness of the bison, and less focused on the tortillas.  Now if only I could customize the bloody mary's...hmmm   :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveO said:

Try the bison huevos rancheros at SD.  Admittedly I'm more into the whole huevos rancheros with its spicyness and meatyness of the bison, and less focused on the tortillas. 

SD's bison huevos rancheros are tasty. The second time I had them, I wanted to sub warmed tortillas for the fried tortilla triangles. I was told the chips came to their location ALREADY fried and could not accommodate my request. Since then (last year), it's been hard to return because this was so contrary to SD's fresh, local, and healthy marketing image. In 2012, SD posted a youtube video of this dish being prepared by Chef Ype.

Interesting thread. The downtown DC area is particularly bereft of interesting b'fast joints. Maybe people just want to get to the office?

Contrast this situation with Maine, which is breakfast heaven (like NM apparently). Not just the foodie city of Portland, but all over the state.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:56 PM, Marty L. said:

This confirms what an absolutely terrible breakfast town D.C. is--truly, the nadir of the otherwise creative and burgeoning dining scene here.

To me, breakfast and "creative and burgeoning dining scene" are mutually exclusive. Breakfast is old school, usually unfussy, and bigger in towns with fewer straight-and-narrow workaholics. I don't like Washingtonians stereotypes but if there's one that's close it's that we just want to get to the office and on with the day, with little to no breakfast. New York diners and breakfast dives have held on because there's more later-in-the-day creatives and a bigger mix of people up there to sustain them. Same with London, LA, Paris, etc.