Ray's Hell-Burger - Great Hamburgers at City Vista - Closed

Ray's media outlet announces the return of Ray’s Hell Burger Too. The steak and cheese has moved across the street to the Third.

I can confirm the reopening of HB too as of last night - place looked bustling with a big mea culpa-ish sign up saying they were back. To clarify, the steak and cheese sandwich has been moved to the menu of Ray's^3, not the restaurant itself.

When a restaurant group shuts down one restaurant for "retooling", shifts the menu dramatically in a second one and then drastically changes prices in a third one...just after opening a new fourth place..it makes you begin to wonder if things are not as good as they seem. My last dinner at Ray's was as good as its been and I have been going to Ray's since the beginning. I hope I am worrying for nothing, but we have all seen this before in the restaurant scene.

Head's up: The steak 'n' cheese is available both at Ray's to the Third and at Hell Burger Deux, though it's not listed on the printed menu at the latter (where it's a buck or so cheaper than it used to be). HBII also has the turkey, buffalo, and portabello burgers.

Head's up: The steak 'n' cheese is available both at Ray's to the Third and at Hell Burger Deux, though it's not listed on the printed menu at the latter (where it's a buck or so cheaper than it used to be). HBII also has the turkey, buffalo, and portabello burgers.

It's listed on the printed menu now.

I write though to sing the praises of the shrimp and lobster burger at HBII, which was great. I won't say it's a great sandwich because it completely falls apart, but that's a function of it having so little filler in it. There's a ton of delicious seafood in that patty and my fear that it would be overcooked was totally unfounded. Loved this dish...

Spending the weekend in DC for Significant Eater's birthday and some cherry blossom viewing, we decided we needed burgers. Since we'd never been to Ray's, we decided to give it a try for lunch...I apologize for not knowing which of the Ray's we were in.

I have to say we were both pleasantly surprised. A great burger, properly cooked. I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to burgers, so I ordered mine with lettuce, tomato, pickle and, because I had to have them, the sauteed mushrooms.

Oh - the fries were really good too. The cole slaw nice as well. All in all, a good lunch for two, at under $25...

post-6410-0-66007400-1332082226_thumb.jp

Head's up: The steak 'n' cheese is available both at Ray's to the Third and at Hell Burger Deux, though it's not listed on the printed menu at the latter (where it's a buck or so cheaper than it used to be).

It's on the printed menu at HB2 now. I don't know why I would ever bother going to the cheesesteak joints in Philly when the quality of the meat is so inferior to what Ray's offers. And instead of onion rings, they now have onion fries. So much easier to eat!

I don't know why I would ever bother going to the cheesesteak joints in Philly when the quality of the meat is so inferior to what Ray's offers. And instead of onion rings, they now have onion fries. So much easier to eat!

Can't agree more. The plus 1 and I just came back from a trip to Philly (which we would do again just for the DiNic's roast pork sandwich) and we made the exact same comment at HB2 last week. Steak and cheese is so much more satisfying and throwing some of those onion fries on your sandwich makes it even better. I've been totally neglecting my burger needs lately because of how good it is.

Had a burger craving on Friday and knowing that mid-summer traffic would be relatively light, we headed across the Key Bridge to Ray's/Ray's/Ray's. Turned out that traffic was nonexistent. It can take 20 minutes to get from the end of Canal Road/MacArthur Blvd to the DC end of the bridge on most evenings, but on Friday, it took about 3 minutes, and only because we hit the red light at the Whitehurst ramps. And there was plenty of parking in the parking lot. That was confusing. For a second, we wondered if maybe Ray's had abruptly closed again.

Chose Hellburger Two because I wanted a flame-grilled burger and table service. We walk in. Now it is not table service. It is counter service. We were confused. Place was empty except for a guy sitting in the corner who apparently worked there. Very nice guy. We asked about the reason for the change. No real reason offered. But he did suggest we cross the street to Ray's Todatoid. I said I had wanted flame-grilled and I, being a summa graduate of the dr.com School of Landrumology, know that the burgers over there are griddled. No, he says. Now they are flame-grilled. More confusion. We decide to stay put but turns out that they no longer take credit cards and we have no cash. No prob - they have an atm right there. But it isn't working. So we stroll down to the original Ray's and it too has been "updated." Far fewer tables, the counter is now enclosed in a box-like structure and not sure why but the vibe is different, too. ATM is now out in the main room and it is no longer fee-free. Actually the whole thing was kind of entertaining.

Burgers are still fantastic so no worries there!

Nice addition to the strip - a tiny frozen yoghurt shop called IceBerry. They say that all yoghurt is fat-free. There is actually only one berry flavor - strawberry. They also had plain (tart), taro, chocolate, peach-mango, and honeydew melon. We had the honeydew melon and it was quite refreshing and had good flavor - really tasted like a melon. The tart yoghurt was also good. We were puzzled (consistent with the theme of the evening) by the lack of berry flavors given the name of the place and the pictures of various berries. But the girl told us that the flavors never change. Which is also quite unusual for a fro-yo shop. They also have smoothies.

For my money, Red Mango is still the best frozen yoghurt by far but all the stores in this area are locations inconvenient for us.

Continuing the confusion theme, we drove over to the Howard Theater for a Johnny Clegg concert. For once in my life, I actually looked into parking options before visiting a venue. Well, that was about as productive as reading a manual. They tell you about a lot at the corner of 7th and and T, and indeed, there is a tiny lot on that corner, but nothing to indicate that it is a lot for the Howard Theater. No attendants in sight and the name on the sign is for some other building. However, they are kind enough to tell you that it is self-park and they explain how that works (you park your own car and retrieve it yourself). We walk over to the theater and we find that the main floor is set up as a supper club. There are traditional theater seats upstairs. We ask if dancing is allowed downstairs. Yes, in the aisles. But they hadn't known what kind of act this was, so they didn't know if anyone would want to dance. Huh? You book acts without knowing anything about them? OK, whatevs.

There is a menu "designed by Marcus Samuelson." Except that what is actually on the menu bears little resemblance to the Samuelson menu on the Howard Theater's website other than the burger and the short ribs. It is very heavy, traditional southern food. Not something you want to eat in the summer, much less a 100-degree day. Very few people are ordering. The woman sitting next to us ordered crab cakes. She got three absolutely miniscule things that looked really awful. I saw no visible evidence of crab meat.

BTW, I didn't start a separate thread as we didn't eat so I couldn't write a real review on the food.

There is a $10/person minimum. They have two bars but apparently too few bartenders. We had three drinks - two Mt. Gay and Tonics, both lacking the requested lime and the first being incredibly sweet. Way too much rum, too little tonic. The drinks were very large. One Stella. Total = $37. Service was excellent, especially given that the waitresses had to dodge dancing bodies.

The venue is beautiful and acoustics were excellent on the main floor. Concert was great. We retrieved our own car, glad again to be living in DC and in a state of confusion.

RHB2 is no longer. It is now called "Nice and Greasy, Steak and Cheesy." I think.

Granted, we were there on the early side, but there was only us and one other couple in there. It seemed like the joint was always jumpin' when we were there in the RH2 days.

But, it may not be long until yet another iteration. Michael still seems enamored of the name, but he might have done some market research before putting up his sign. He himself said he overheard someone passing by who said: "Who would eat in a place with a name like that?"

OK, so it wasn't closed last time I checked but now both the Hell Burger locations have been closed that I've walked by them with a large sign directing people to Rays to the Third. Is this a break or a closure?

Prompted by your post and the fact that I had to be in NoVa today, headed here for lunch on the off chance that one of the locations was still operating.

The two Ray's Hellburger and Steak places in the strip mall on the west side of Wilson are both closed. I believe one of the main hellburger's (the one next to the mediocre coffee spot that was the original Rays the Steaks years ago) signs said it was a break for expansion but not sure I'm remembering that right. Didn't read those signs until I left. Another said don't park in that lot if going across the street (as I did and did) due to an "aggressive" towing company. Somehow I dodged that bullet.

Across the street, in what is still called "Rays to the Third" is basically 'Ray's Everything.' Has expanded space with counter ordering and self seating to the right and table service to the left and in back. The menu includes many of the steaks, cheesesteaks, burgers and lots of other things from all the other menus across the former and current Ray's Empire.

All said, this place continues to hum as it always has. $10 or so bucks for a 1/3 lb delicious burger with fries (sweet potato fries even), including a buck for cheese and lots of free topping options is fantastic value. Capacity must be at least 120 or so. Today at lunch it was packed with a line waiting. I suspect it's like that pretty regularly though I don't get over that way enough to really say.

Prompted by your post and the fact that I had to be in NoVa today, headed here for lunch on the off chance that one of the locations was still operating.

The two Ray's Hellburger and Steak places in the strip mall on the west side of Wilson are both closed. I believe one of the main hellburger's (the one next to the mediocre coffee spot that was the original Rays the Steaks years ago) signs said it was a break for expansion but not sure I'm remembering that right. Didn't read those signs until I left. Another said don't park in that lot if going across the street (as I did and did) due to an "aggressive" towing company. Somehow I dodged that bullet.

ARLnow.com on the case.

INAUGURATION FEVER

Guess what? I have a fever and the only prescription is more cow. And more Obama.

In what may well be the final paroxysms of ecstatic cathartic release bringing to a close the cycle of madness that was begun here in these pages over 4 1/2 years ago, we will be honoring and celebrating the Inauguration in the most fitting way possible--in one great Song of the He-Goat.

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 (the Private Swearing In) we will be offering 2013 Li'l Devils with Vermont Cheddar Cheese and Tomato (Dijon Optional) and a small side (changing throughout the day, no guarantees) AT ABSOLUTELY NO COST. Free. Gratis (Bottled sodas/water $2--cash only).

Crazy? Mad? Insane?

Well, on Monday, January 21, 2013, we will be doing the very same thing! 2013 Li'l Devils with Cheddar and Tomato. Cheeseburgers. Free. Or as I like to call them, sorry I can't help myself, dithyramburgers.

The catch? We request that for each burger a $5 donation be made (checks are cool), which we will turn over to the Boys and Girls Club in its entirety. Sunday will go to the Boys and Girls Club in North East for their after school meals program (often the only meal of the day outside of the school free lunch program for many of these kids). Monday will go to the Boys and Girls Club of Alexandria where many of my employees were members as kids and whose own kids are clients today.

I'll make up the difference for any cheapskates out there out of pocket, guarantying each day's take to be $10,065, hopefully more.

My only request? That the line proceed a strictly anapestic manner at all times, with no exceptions. Enforcers will be on hand.

Caveats: Burgers will be cooked to medium (and may well lose pinkness to carry-over cooking, affecting color but not juiciness). Special orders, outside of no cheese for those who can't take it off themselves, most likely to not be possible or honored, at least not pleasantly, depending on length of line. One per person physically present (exceptions made for the elderly, the infirm, or children--who will all die if you use them to lie in order to score extra dithyramburgers).

Final caveat: While no doubt hamartia will abound and exhibit freely, no anagnorisis is implied or guaranteed in this offer.

Location: Ray's To The Third, 1650 Wilson Boulevard. (Unfortunately, the original Hell-Burger locations are jammed up in litigation right now and are not available for this celebration as originally planned).

Time: 11:30 AM until the last burger is given away, both days. (Regular menu will not be available at The Third, but Ray's The Steaks and Retro Ray's will be open as (ab?)normal. Reservations highly recommended for both days).

I put my pants on the same way the rest of you do--one leg at a time. Except when my pants are on I make great cheeseburgers.

Don, you may retire the thread now.

• Like 7

INAUGURATION FEVER

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 (the Private Swearing In) we will be offering 2013 Li'l Devils with Vermont Cheddar Cheese and Tomato (Dijon Optional) and a small side (changing throughout the day, no guarantees) AT ABSOLUTELY NO COST. Free. Gratis (Bottled sodas/water $2--cash only).

Well, on Monday, January 21, 2013, we will be doing the very same thing! 2013 Li'l Devils with Cheddar and Tomato. Cheeseburgers. Free. Or as I like to call them, sorry I can't help myself, dithyramburgers.

The catch? We request that for each burger a $5 donation be made (checks are cool), which we will turn over to the Boys and Girls Club in its entirety. Sunday will go to the Boys and Girls Club in North East for their after school meals program (often the only meal of the day outside of the school free lunch program for many of these kids). Monday will go to the Boys and Girls Club of Alexandria where many of my employees were members as kids and whose own kids are clients today.

I'll make up the difference for any cheapskates out there out of pocket, guarantying each day's take to be $10,065, hopefully more.

Location: Ray's To The Third, 1650 Wilson Boulevard. (Unfortunately, the original Hell-Burger locations are jammed up in litigation right now and are not available for this celebration as originally planned).

Time: 11:30 AM until the last burger is given away, both days. (Regular menu will not be available at The Third, but Ray's The Steaks and Retro Ray's will be open as (ab?)normal. Reservations highly recommended for both days).

I will not retire the thread unless the shopping center burns to the ground (and I do not rule out the possibility).

Your signs posted on the doors directing people across the street should be accompanied by one to the landlord: a middle finger pointing the way, and a caption that says "Go to Hell."

I'm thinking you should just buy the entire section from Clarendon to Rosslyn and rename the double-sided street Landrum Strip and Landrum Way.

• Like 1

The arlnow story went national on huffington post...copying the arlnow info: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/rays-hell-burger-closes-arlington_n_2487649.html

Leases are brutal. I used to negotiate them as a commercial RE broker. Invariably the landlord has the advantage and leverage. But the details are between the tenant and the landlord...so who knows. Good luck, Michael. the restaurants are an amenity in the area and your restaurants are probably the single tenant in that center that brings customers from a wide geography beyond immediate and local, at least off the top of my head and IMHO. (not that that means much in an LL/tenant dispute)

• Like 1

The arlnow story went national on huffington post...copying the arlnow info: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/16/rays-hell-burger-closes-arlington_n_2487649.html

Leases are brutal. I used to negotiate them as a commercial RE broker. Invariably the landlord has the advantage and leverage. But the details are between the tenant and the landlord...so who knows. Good luck, Michael. the restaurants are an amenity in the area and your restaurants are probably the single tenant in that center that brings customers from a wide geography beyond immediate and local, at least off the top of my head and IMHO. (not that that means much in an LL/tenant dispute)

The landlord definitely has the initial advantage, but as several members (to whom I remain indebted) can vouch for, if a tenant is in the right, and enough of a pit bull, the courts will provide justice. It's a pain in the ass, but sometimes you just have to make the decision to stand up for yourself.

Wow--how I missed the "landlord changed the locks" bit on those signs a few days ago, I'm not sure. Must have been hunger and, as soon as I realized where those famed burgers were, I stopped paying attention to signs and threats of tow trucks, did a 180 and headed straight across the street. Sure, was a bit odd when I saw the self serve and seemingly doubled capacity or whatever but I just wrote that off to the occasional changes Msgr Landrum has always made. Ended up sitting next to some old buds when there and, in conversation, realized they'd never even heard the name Michael Landrum despite being regulars working nearby. I imagine that's true with many regulars at Ray's who think, well you know, it's all owned by some guy named Ray. :D

All said, three postscripts to stupidusername and I possibly being the first (however unknowingly at the time) to report online that anything unusual was amiss at Ray's Hell and Ray's Hell II:

- Ray's the 3rd, however different in layout, is as fab as it ever was. Reason enough to head over there as always. Add in the battle Michael is facing and there should be a dr member stampede to show support (imho).

- The Inauguration Deal. Wow! Unsurprising. But, still, wow. Nicely done.

- Godspeed with your battle, Michael. I know Don's on the case behind the scenes but if there's any way those of us who love what you do (not just for ourselves when we enjoy dinner or a burger but for everyone), just say the word.

• Like 1

and now the landlord has put up For Rent signs in both storefronts <sigh>

There's nothing either charismatic or special about either of these spaces (reminisces and fond memories about the original Ray's The Steaks (which I definitely have) aside). The only thing that matters is that Michael Landrum opens a storefront, somewhere, selling the same hamburgers - which will be extremely easy for him to replicate given any flattop grill. If I'm missing something obvious here, please correct me - I don't think this strip mall was worth much of anything.

There's nothing either charismatic or special about either of these spaces (reminisces and fond memories about the original Ray's The Steaks (which I definitely have) aside). The only thing that matters is that Michael Landrum opens a storefront, somewhere, selling the same hamburgers - which will be extremely easy for him to replicate given any flattop grill. If I'm missing something obvious here, please correct me - I don't think this strip mall was worth much of anything.

I used to lease retail and a lot of restaurant space. I believe you are right, Don. Nothing special about that location at all. Its a between spot. Between bigger population centers with more walk around traffic.

OTOH, It might offer or might have offered better rental rate values or opportunities within a strip (Wilson Blvd) where retail rental rates in some areas have just soared over time. Really soared.

INAUGURATION FEVER

Guess what? I have a fever and the only prescription is more cow. And more Obama.

In what may well be the final paroxysms of ecstatic cathartic release bringing to a close the cycle of madness that was begun here in these pages over 4 1/2 years ago, we will be honoring and celebrating the Inauguration in the most fitting way possible--in one great Song of the He-Goat.

Crazy? Mad? Insane?

My only request? That the line proceed a strictly anapestic manner at all times, with no exceptions. Enforcers will be on hand.

Caveats: Burgers will be cooked to medium (and may well lose pinkness to carry-over cooking, affecting color but not juiciness). Special orders, outside of no cheese for those who can't take it off themselves, most likely to not be possible or honored, at least not pleasantly, depending on length of line. One per person physically present (exceptions made for the elderly, the infirm, or children--who will all die if you use them to lie in order to score extra dithyramburgers).

Final caveat: While no doubt hamartia will abound and exhibit freely, no anagnorisis is implied or guaranteed in this offer.

I put my pants on the same way the rest of you do--one leg at a time. Except when my pants are on I make great cheeseburgers.

I still have the fever. The only prescription is still more cow.

I still put my pants on the same way the rest of you do--one leg at a time.

And when my pants are on, I still make great cheeseburgers.

We had so much fun doing Inauguration Fever, and it was such a good time, we are continuing it through today.

To quote my girlfriend Topaz who so eloquently expressed both the Hell-Burger ethos and what I have to discovered in myself as my whole personal philosophy behind it, and what I have decided will be our official slogan from here on in:

"If you grind it, they will come."

• Like 3

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/15/popular-d-c-burger-joint-forced-to-shut-down/

I searched the Arlington General District Court website and it appears that Colonial Village Shopping Center got a default judgment against both 1713 WILSON BLVD LLC and 1725 WILSON BLVD LLC on February 8, 2013, with damages of $39,271.88 and $31,028.94, respectively, attorney's fees to be submitted later, and a writ of immediate possession for both. They are not likely to have a better tenant.

It's not uncommon in a landlord-tenant dispute for the tenant to stop paying rent during the dispute, and the smart advice is to put it into escrow in case you lose and have to pay up.

It's highly possible that they did not contest the case in General District Court as a tactic, planning on appealing to Circuit Court, where they can get a trial de novo with a jury, albeit having to post bond in the full amount of the judgment in the General District Court. Ten days to appeal from General District Court to Circuit Court.

I assume that, because the tenants were LLCs which probably have no assets, it would be hard to collect unless Michael Landrum was a personal guarantor, which, just surmising, he probably was.

I hesitated to post this because I really admire Landrum as a person, and also, his restaurants are some of my favorites, but news is news, and I am a lawyer, so it's even newsier to me. So this is in part public record, and the rest, just speculation on my part, albeit educated speculation.

Memo to everybody: eat at Ray's!

A far more interesting fact is that in 2012 my restaurants generated, directly and indirectly, upwards of $5M in wages. In 2013 that number will be $3M, and in 2014 that number will be $2.2M.

Who would like to speculate under which scenario I will be better off, personally (guaranty or not)?

Like Ilaine above I too like your restaurants, food and overall operations. Regardless, the above quote didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the volume of people who lost jobs.

OTOH, I was a commercial RE broker years ago and leased restaurants. I've enjoyed many of your comments in some of the threads of the past and noted some of those comments that reflected tremendous business smarts (I think you referenced how ONE STRONG day can or should pay for the month's rent.---that is tremendously savvy!!!!!! IMHO and experience). As to the specifics of a landlord/tenant dispute....the one thing I know is that I don't know any of the details of your situation....though I certainly experienced a wide variety of landlord/tenant disputes in the past--including some doozies!!!)

I also know how tough it is to make all ends meet in a business and how one has to watch all parts of the P&L and cash flow to make a business work....and each operator struggles through that in ways that nobody else understands or appreciates. (I certainly can't appreciate your items of revenues, costs and cash flow).

I'll still eat at your operations. But there is another side of that equation in lost jobs. Never a happy occasion in my book.

Like Ilaine above I too like your restaurants, food and overall operations. Regardless, the above quote didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the volume of people who lost jobs.

OTOH, I was a commercial RE broker years ago and leased restaurants. I've enjoyed many of your comments in some of the threads of the past and noted some of those comments that reflected tremendous business smarts (I think you referenced how ONE STRONG day can or should pay for the month's rent.---that is tremendously savvy!!!!!! IMHO and experience). As to the specifics of a landlord/tenant dispute....the one thing I know is that I don't know any of the details of your situation....though I certainly experienced a wide variety of landlord/tenant disputes in the past--including some doozies!!!)

I also know how tough it is to make all ends meet in a business and how one has to watch all parts of the P&L and cash flow to make a business work....and each operator struggles through that in ways that nobody else understands or appreciates. (I certainly can't appreciate your items of revenues, costs and cash flow).

I'll still eat at your operations. But there is another side of that equation in lost jobs. Never a happy occasion in my book.

I think you miss my irony.

While we're dishing out raves, I'll add that, to me, Ray's is one of a relatively small number of large stones that formed the foundation from which DC became one of the country's truly best food cities with its own distinctive character. Long live Rays the Whatevers however many there are.

• Like 1

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/15/popular-d-c-burger-joint-forced-to-shut-down/

I searched the Arlington General District Court website and it appears that Colonial Village Shopping Center got a default judgment against both 1713 WILSON BLVD LLC and 1725 WILSON BLVD LLC on February 8, 2013, with damages of $39,271.88 and $31,028.94, respectively, attorney's fees to be submitted later, and a writ of immediate possession for both. They are not likely to have a better tenant.

It's not uncommon in a landlord-tenant dispute for the tenant to stop paying rent during the dispute, and the smart advice is to put it into escrow in case you lose and have to pay up.

It's highly possible that they did not contest the case in General District Court as a tactic, planning on appealing to Circuit Court, where they can get a trial de novo with a jury, albeit having to post bond in the full amount of the judgment in the General District Court. Ten days to appeal from General District Court to Circuit Court.

I assume that, because the tenants were LLCs which probably have no assets, it would be hard to collect unless Michael Landrum was a personal guarantor, which, just surmising, he probably was.

I hesitated to post this because I really admire Landrum as a person, and also, his restaurants are some of my favorites, but news is news, and I am a lawyer, so it's even newsier to me. So this is in part public record, and the rest, just speculation on my part, albeit educated speculation.

Memo to everybody: eat at Ray's!

Note to those still keeping track, expert or amateur, or the even fewer who don't become automatically sick or disinterested at any and all things related to Ray's and/or its owner:

The default judgement referenced above was set aside for failure to serve proper notice of the hearing, and an actual hearing with both parties involved has been scheduled for June 6 in General District Court, unless it is joined to our prior, pre-existing Claim filed in Circuit Court back in November 2012.

I've often wondered, when in regards to reputation and integrity, what the connection between the words "speculation" and "speculum" is...

I was at Ray's to the 3 last week, for the first time. I've been to Ray's and across the street. The joint was busy. Packed. Early dinner. The burger side was busy but not crazy. We could secure a table.

You ground them...we ate em. Scrumptious.

Great news! (Well, for me at least...):

We can finally move forward and complete the long-stalled project on K Street--which some of you may or may not have been aware of--which has been in a weird sort of limbo for some time now.

You see, back in November/December 2012 we were about 90% done with the project--everything but the cosmetics and furniture and cooking equipment pretty much--when during our inspections for the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing phase of the construction (the heavy-lifting, heavy-duty infrastructure stuff) it was discovered the landlord had not obtained permits or inspections for the construction of the twelve story Fire-Smoke-and Grease Safety-Rated Duct which runs through the residential complex above us. This had the unfortunate consequence, unintended, I am sure, of rendering our work un-inspectable and un-finishable.

On the subject of potential consequences, however, I can assure you that this was nowhere near the first of my concerns...

I think, if I remembered or understood their explanation correctly (although I am no legal expert), it turns out they either forgot to check if permits were required before they built it or didn't think they were so went ahead and built it without them. An innocent mistake, I am sure, if it can even be called a mistake at all.

In any case, that prevented our completed work at that stage from even being inspected (as I mentioned above), let alone approved, which made any further work on our end either impossible or unfeasible to the point of impossibility.

The great news is that just recently, they have generously agreed to install a vertical duct which meets all the code and engineering requirements and specifications, after which in no time flat we should be able to knock out all the finish and decor work--and best of all, with no threat or danger to the residents above!!!

Another big plus for me, is that all of that construction was paid for in advance, in cash, and oodles of money to the landlord too in leasehold costs that did not foresee this pas de folie a deux--over a half a million dollars all told, just rotting away in the meantime, which can now finally be put to productive use.

I wish I could say more about the final concept, ...errr, menu, but until I know what volume the engineering specs of the built-out duct will allow, code-wise, I can not commit to an exact concept, ...errr, menu.

I'll know by whether Don let's this thread stand or not whether there is interest here in further updates on this project as they occur--and if not, well then, see you soon on K!

• Like 2