Ray's Hell-Burger - Great Hamburgers at City Vista - Closed

I had my first Hell-Burger two weeks ago; au poivre, white cheddar. Pardon the pun but holy cow! Best burger ever.

I spent the next week dreaming about another one. The second one (diablo, amish cheddar) was a little overcooked but still really, really good. I'm trying to figure out a way to get back there this weekend...

For the record, I don't eat a lot of red meat. If I eat it too often or too much at once it gives me gout. Very, very painful but I'm willing to risk it for one of these burgers.

Life is too short to have a go-to, but my selection today, cooked "recommended," would fit nicely on the menu:

BLACK-N-BLUE BACON (but don't call the BBB on us)

-- Blackened Burger with Cajun Spices

-- Rogue Creamery Smokey Bleu

-- Applewood Smoked Bacon

-- Grilled Red Onions

(skip the lettuce and add creamy Dijon at the table)

Finally made it. Burger, recommended, with cheddar, lotsa red onions, and charred jalapenos.

As expected, excellent.

"F you" to the putzes who didn't bus their own table before us. Yeah, I'm talking to you-- the ones by the window furthest from the door at around 6:30pm last night. :lol:

And "hello" to Donnie who shared the table with us and told us of his work doing physical therapy (i.e. attaching prosthetic limbs to the senselessly injured in our military) in the Navy. You're doing god's work dude. Best of luck in Japan!

In recognition of all of you who have so valiantly sacrificed your life savings to the spectacularly successful bailout plan in selfless service to our glorious Republic, I would like to announce, "Yes! Yes, you can pay Tuesday for a hamburger today!"

Edited to add: Offer good today only, derby not required.

So, hadn't been to Hell burger in a couple months, since mid August, cos broke college student budget didn't have room for going to restaurants. I was super excited to go, having had nothing but amazing food there over the summer. I was less than thrilled with the experience tonight tho. My boyfriend and I went, along with our roommate. All our burgers came out without any toppings besides cheese. The employee who'd taken our order sorted it out, brought us all plates with the toppings after a bit of a delay, but putting our burgers together for ourselves seriously decreased their structural stability. Once it was properly decked out, I tried my burger, and it just wasn't as good as I remembered/expected. It was quite acceptable, but it wasn't amazingly awesome like all the ones I'd had over the summer had been. My boyfriend and our roommate seemed happy tho, so maybe it was just my burger.

The corn and mac&cheese and potato salad were all pretty yummy. The potato salad is mayo based. I had a chocolate covered strawberry float, which was chocolate soda with strawberry ice cream, and it was delish. Roomate doesn't like strawberry ice cream, but I talked her into trying the float, and she said it was something she might even order sometime.

My burger with Epoisses did not disappoint.

Brought a never-been-to-Hellburger friend by last night for an au poivre with blue. ahhh, perfection. Her comment, "it's a good thing I'm leaving town because I live way too close to this place". This was followed by "how have you not taken me here yet"?

I reminded her I've been trying for weeks. Last night I laid down the law and told her she needed to have a reason to miss Arlington after she moves...

I had my first Hell Burger last night. I took the advice of some of the posters here and kept it simple my first time. I had the white cheddar, tomato and dill pickle slices on an au poivre patty. I ordered it medium rare. It was not as pink as I was expecting but it was quite delicious. The cracked black pepper was so fresh and strong that I felt a little bead of perspiration on my brow. I have never in my life had such a flavorful au poivre preparation.

I think that the bun problem has been addressed. Mine did not lose structural integrity despite the abundant juiciness of the meat. I brought my own fork and I was glad I did, but I only needed it to finish the last few bites of meat after deciding that I had too little room for both meat and bread.

The only side I ordered was the cole slaw. It was tasty. I am always afraid of finding an overdose of celery seed (it seems to be a very common problem) but the good folks at Ray's clearly know better.

The selection of unusual and gourmet sodas was really quite impressive. I had coke in a glass bottle which is the only way to have it. I wanted to go back and order a red drink called Dracula's Blood to take home but the line had gotten long by then. Now I can look forward to it next time. That and a big fat slice of foie gras. Or should I try bone marrow (with a nice bordelaise sauce to double my dose of marrow)? Some choices are a pleasure to confront.

Now I can look forward to it next time. That and a big fat slice of foie gras.
Definitely try the Burger of Seville NEXT.

In big news: the delectably decadent hot chocolate from next door is now available complimentary in big vats at Ray's Hell. Just in time for the cold weather!

I think they are only open for lunch on Fridays (and Sat and Sun)....
No longer true...
In big news: the delectably decadent hot chocolate from next door is now available complimentary in big vats at Ray's Hell. Just in time for the cold weather!
And maybe bigger news - a sign on the door says lunch served Tuesday through Sunday!

Apparently my buddy Kenric will be featured on the wall at Hell-Burger for being the only customer to ever polish off a triple-triple - a triple patty burger and triple scoop root beer float.

That's only the double-triple. To get the triple-triple, you also have to get the triple bypass.

I finally made it to Ray's HB last night and must say that I was quite disappointed. I would have been able to overlook any of the individual problems I had, but the sum total left me reluctant to return. I understand the model and the vibe, but I did not have a pleasant experience. I will say the burger was incredibly juicy.

The problems were: (1) a fairly filthy table; the cleaner more or less wiped the onions left by the previous diner onto the floor; when I looked beneath the table there were at least two pieces of silverware along with napkins and other detritus; (2) an overcooked burger (ordered medium rare, basically medium to medium well); (3) missing raw onion that was eventually replaced by flagging down a not so happy server; (4) a random piece of pepper on my plate...this said to me that whoever plated my dish was sloppy; (5) cole slaw inside a little plastic container with a few pieces hanging out from the lid...I am not sure if this is clear, but there was a lid on the slaw and parts hanging out.

I will note that this was relatively early (we got to Ray's around 6pm) when there was a line but it was not (I gather) especially crowded).

Friends of mine have had great burgers at Ray's and encouraged me to try it. But last night I got the impression that the people who work at Ray's were going through the motions.

Cole

I finally made it to Ray's HB last night and must say that I was quite disappointed. I would have been able to overlook any of the individual problems I had, but the sum total left me reluctant to return. I understand the model and the vibe, but I did not have a pleasant experience. I will say the burger was incredibly juicy.

The problems were: (1) a fairly filthy table; the cleaner more or less wiped the onions left by the previous diner onto the floor; when I looked beneath the table there were at least two pieces of silverware along with napkins and other detritus; (2) an overcooked burger (ordered medium rare, basically medium to medium well); (3) missing raw onion that was eventually replaced by flagging down a not so happy server; (4) a random piece of pepper on my plate...this said to me that whoever plated my dish was sloppy; (5) cole slaw inside a little plastic container with a few pieces hanging out from the lid...I am not sure if this is clear, but there was a lid on the slaw and parts hanging out.

I will note that this was relatively early (we got to Ray's around 6pm) when there was a line but it was not (I gather) especially crowded).

Friends of mine have had great burgers at Ray's and encouraged me to try it. But last night I got the impression that the people who work at Ray's were going through the motions.

Cole

This is in no way an apology or an excuse; just a thought: Imagine if you threw a party for a thousand people and three thousand showed up.

I have gone to Hell Burger about 12 times now (usually every friday at lunch) At first it seemed like they were have trouble getting the burger cooked to the correct levels (inconsistent) but the last few times I have gone they have been spot on. I will say that last Friday's burger was the best I have ever had. Thanks Michael!

As good a guess as any - when I asked him why he was wearing a suit, I got only "...you don't want to know..."

It's going to get out soon enough anyway, so I may as well say it here first:

I was on my way for a session of glamour shots as part of a multi-tiered media strategy, involving print, radio and TV appearances, special VIP nightclub events, themed instructional cruise ship "one-on-ones", and guest Op-Ed columns in major news publications--all in support of my in-the-works television series.

I was wearing a custom designed, tailored Ing. Loro Piana "Super 1200's" worsted suit, with an ingeniously engineered "inverse box-pleat" double-vented jacket and full satin-lined pants. Of course, I was not wearing underwear so as to highlight the proper "drape" and "fold," as well as to maximize the effects of full-on satin, so necessary to the active chef.

You see, I feel I have evolved beyond mere cooking and have come to embody not just a life-style but a "whole life" way of "being and balling". And I am not alone in thinking that. Now, more than ever, is the time for action, while the cast-iron is hot.

That is why the good folks at Crown Holder, which the more sophisticated of you may recognize as the exclusive, international, ultra luxe line of Coogi (and which has been my signature, but regrettably un-sponsored, look for some time now), are working to create a line of velvet-lined jeans to embrace just that life-style, the main feature of which being a need to be free of not only the tragedies of world hunger and social injustice, but also from the tragic constraints of restricting undergarments.

That is just one of the movements I hope to be a part of my spear-heading campaign, and more of which you all will be hearing.

Noon yesterday, I spied Michael walking out of the closed Hell-Burger, wearing a suit.
Meeting with parole officer?
Maybe he is interviewing for White House Chef?

Mystery solved:

You'd think with, like, 27 thousand Michelin stars, they would have at least finished construction before opening the restaurant and stop making it so effing hard to park in front of Archibald's already. Jeez.

I have gone to Hell Burger about 12 times now (usually every friday at lunch) At first it seemed like they were have trouble getting the burger cooked to the correct levels (inconsistent) but the last few times I have gone they have been spot on. I will say that last Friday's burger was the best I have ever had. Thanks Michael!

I ordered mine yesterday well done and it came out medium, at best. It may have even been bordering on medium rare. This truly baffles me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's an art, not a science. But why do so many other places seem to not have as many problems with this "art"?

Between working them twelve hour shifts and keeping them chained to the radiator in the basement, like I was when I was a kid, I keep telling them not to, but they keep on intentionally fucking up the orders of those who order well done so they'll stay the fuck away and never come back.

God damn servants. Why the fuck can't they do anything right?

Or you could just ask us to fix it.

Go to Johnny Rockets and keep sucking Dan Snyder's dick.

:lol:

Actually, I asked my friend to buy me dinner in exchange for a ticket to the game Sunday night. He said, "Yeah, we can just get Johnny Rockets or something at the stadium." I replied, "Nah, I have a better idea. There's this great burger place in Arlington and we can get a much better burger, a side, and a drink for the same price as one Johnny Rockets burger at the stadium." So we went to this great burger place. He really enjoyed his burger. When I cut into mine, I laughed and thought, "Hey, maybe I should give a medium burger a try since so many people seem to like them that way." It was fine. I mainly didn't like how quickly it destroyed the bun, but it was still a good burger. Certainly wasn't as good as the perfectly cooked one I had the week before, but you can't win 'em all.

My friend and I discussed how we'd each read some comments at various places on the innerwebs regarding doneness issues. We found that to be interesting. But, whatever, no big deal...or so I thought.

A few things in reply to this email. As the owner, I would like to touch on some subjects written here.

"The owners need to expand or rethink their policies."

WHEN WE FIRST HAD AN IDEA TO OPEN A PLACE, NO ONE WOULD GIVE US A SHOT...NOT A SHOPPING CENTER, NOT A SINGLE LANDLORD. WE TOOK THE SPACE THAT WE COULD GET AND NOW IT HAS BECOME SO POPULAR PEOPLE ARE DEMANDING WE EXPAND. WE ARE OPENING A 2ND LOCATION THAT IS 3 TIMES THE SIZE IN THE NEXT 2 MONTHS. IF ANYONE IS LOOKING TO DONATE TO THE EXPAND CAVA FUND PLEASE LET ME KNOW, BECAUSE LAST TIME I CHECKED THE ECONOMY WAS IN SHAMBLES AND IT IS NOT SO EASY TO JUST EXPAND. ALSO, OUR WAIT TIMES ARE NOT THAT LONG BETWEEN SUNDAY AND THURSDAY, NOR ARE THEY THAT LONG ANYTIME NOT BETWEEN 7 AND 8PM. EVERYONE LIKES TO GO OUT FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT AT 7PM TO 8PM AND I UNDERSTAND THAT, BUT YOU HAVE TO IMAGINE THE PRESSURE IT PUTS ON A 60 SEAT RESTAURANT IF 200 PEOPLE ARE AT THE DOOR.

"Then the place was so loud and dark that it was hard to read menu of talk to waitress."

PEOPLE ENJOY THE DARKNESS AND LOUDNESS...MANY TIMES THE ATMOSPHERE IS A MAJOR DRAW. IF IT WAS TOO DARK AND YOU HAD MENTIONED IT TO THE SERVER, WE HAVE SMALL LIGHTS THAT WE SUPPLY FOR CUSTOMERS OR LIKE MANY PEOPLE DO USE THE CANDLES AT THE TABLE WHICH ARE PLASTIC FLICKER LIGHTS AND NOT REAL WAX.

"Food at this point was thrown at us faster then once could imagine how it is really cooked to order"

THIS ONE GETS ME THE MOST. IF YOU ARE GOING TO QUESTION THE INTEGRITY OF MY RESTAURANT, PLEASE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I INVITE YOU ANY DAY YOU WANT TO WATCH MY KITCHEN STAFF PREPARE THE FRESHEST FOODS AND ONLY COOK TO ORDER. WE ARE A MEZZE RESTAURANT, WHICH IS LIKE TAPAS. IF YOU ORDER 10 PLATES YOU WILL GET 10 PLATES. THE POINT OF THE PAPER MENU IS SO THAT YOU CAN ORDER 1 OR 2 THINGS, AND ADD ON AS YOU GO ALL THE WHILE SHARING THE SMALL PLATES.

"Came back at 7:45 and did not get seated for another 45 minutes."

ALL I CAN SAY TO THIS IS THAT THERE IS ALWAYS 2 SIDES TO A STORY. BUT I AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE WHETHER I AM RIGHT OR WRONG, BECAUSE THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. DID YOU ASK FOR A MANAGER THAT NIGHT TO EXPLAIN THE SITUATION? I AM SURE WE WOULD HAVE DONE EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT HAD HAPPENED IF IT WAS SOMETHING WE WERE AT FAULT ABOUT.

"My predicition is that Cava is soon to be a victim of its sucess. What started out as pleasant, tastly and popular is now crazy and obnoxious."

THIS ONE STRIKES ME OUT AS SOMEONE WHO HAS AN AXE TO GRIND. A VICITM OF OUR SUCCESS? WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE AN EMPTY RESTAURANT WHERE I MAKE PEOPLE WAIT OUTSIDE IN THE COLD? ALSO CRAZY AND OBNOXIOUS IS A PERSONAL OPINION, SOME PEOPLE WOULD CALL IT CHARMING AND ALIVE.

WE TRY OUR HARDEST TO PLEASE EVERYONE AND MAKE SURE THAT THEIR EXPERIENCE IS SOMETHING THAT WILL BRING THEM BACK. MANY TIMES OUT OF 300 PEOPLE SERVED ONE OR 2 MAY HAVE A PROBLEM, AND WE TRY OUR BEST TO MAKE SURE WE FIX IT THAT NIGHT. WE CANNOT FIX PROBLEMS IF WE ARE UNAWARE OF THEM. OUR FOOD IS FRESH DAILY AND COOKED TO ORDER FOR EVERY SINGLE ITEM. CAVA IS WHAT IT IS...IT IS A SMALL RESTAURANT WITH GREAT FOOD AND GREAT ATMOSPHERE. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A CHAIN WITH CERTAIN EXPECTATIONS THAN THIS IS NOT THE SPOT FOR YOU. MY PREDICTION IS THAT CAVA WILL BE SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE WE ALWAYS MAKE SURE TO TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS. I HAVE 1000 EMAILS TO BACK THAT UP. FINALLY, I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MAY HAVE HAD A FRUSTRATING NIGHT, BUT I HAVE BEEN TO SO MANY PLACES, INCLUDING TOP 5 PLACES, BEST BARGAINS, TOM SIETSEMA'S FAVORITES AND HAVE HAD BAD EXPERIENCES AT SOME AND I HAVE ALWAYS GONE BACK AND MANY TIMES I HAD A GREAT 2ND EXPERIENCE.

Between working them twelve hour shifts and keeping them chained to the radiator in the basement, like I was when I was a kid, I keep telling them not to, but they keep on intentionally fucking up the orders of those who order well done so they'll stay the fuck away and never come back.

God damn servants. Why the fuck can't they do anything right?

Or you could just ask us to fix it.

Go to Johnny Rockets and keep sucking Dan Snyder's dick.

They told me to remove the umbrage chip when I rolled out my new line of ChefBot 2000's. Why, oh why didn't I listen?

Signed,

Professor Frink

Can't let this thread drop off the first page!!! :lol:

My office did a burger crawl week, hitting Elevation, 5 Guys, Foster's Grill, Ray's, and...somewhere else. The burgers were evaluated, among other characteristics, for tastiness, juiciness, presentation, value, bun/meat ratio, and the "how did you feel afterwards?" condition of the stomach. Shockingly enough, Ray's emerged as the champion - I think the juiciness factor pushed them to the top!

As for myself, I love the new sides!!!! The mac and cheese, along with the burger, brings value decadence to a whole new level.

Got takeout from Hell-Burger tonight. Along with our three burgers we tried a side of the cheesy fried potato puffs. These appear to be golf balls of cheesy mashed potatoes and chives/scallions, rolled in bread crumbs, and deep fried. They're an addictive little snack until you take your first bite of burger and then you want nothing coming between you and all that beefy goodness.

Finally tried Ray's Hell Burger! We had carry out last Friday night - 3 burgers (plain w/american cheez for kids, B.I.G. for me, and for hubby the one w/bacon and cheese...forgot the name), plus 3 mac'n'cheese, plus 1 orange soda for about $32. At 7pm, the wait was not long at all. I felt bad crowding the area w/stroller for kid #2 and kid #1 scurrying about as usual, but no staff complained or looked haughtily at us. Kids loved the burger and m&c (didn't know 13 mo old could eat so much hamburger!). Hubby devoured his. I loved mine too, but, I thought the bleu cheese was a little strong for the burger. I LOVE strong bleu cheese, but I just thought it overpowered the delicious meat a bit. At any rate, for a very reasonable price, knowing I filled my family with good quality food for only $32 (with leftovers for kids' lunch the next day), I can say this is now in our carry out rotation.

Came all the way from Atlanta to get a Hell Burger, and I was not disappointed. My girlfriend who accompanied me was skeptical at first, but she is now a Ray's convert. I ordered the Soul Burger (with bacon, a cheese I cannot remember, mushrooms and onions, lettuce, and tomato), cooked recommended, and it was the closest thing I've ever found to my dad's backyard burgers--thick, juicy, TASTY (as in, you can taste the meat), and immensely satisfying. I don't know what the buns were like before, but this one handled the patty and the toppings with minimal issues. My friend got a burger with blue cheese, mushrooms, and onions, cooked medium, and she really enjoyed it.

I have to say, I kinda dig that ownership makes policies they believe in and then sticks to them. There are multiple signs that say to order first, THEN get a table (presumably so people who have received their food don't have to eat standing up or have their burger get cold while someone just sits there waiting). Seems simple enough. A large party came in while we were eating, and they kept moaning about how they wanted to sit down while they thought about what they wanted. The manager (???) stood his ground and reminded them that they would take up half the restaurant, and that he'd help them finagle seating once they had ordered. Good for him.

My favorite Atlanta burgers have nothing on Ray's...

The big, honking hunk of beef the size of a bowling ball that I watched Michael putting through his meat grinder one night wadn't no "steak scrap," y'all. This is mythologising to the nth degree.

True. That was no scrap, that was an entire Top Sirloin--a whole steak cut (not scrap) that more and more chefs are finding too costly to use as their front-line steak or at all, hence the proliferation of hanger, flat-iron, skirt and flank steaks (all lesser and lower-priced cuts than the Top Sirloin).

Whole Top Sirloin constitutes about 45% of our blend, with trimmings from Ray's: The Steaks (Strip, Rib-Eye, Tenderloin, Hanger) constituting about 10%. The total net cost to us (wholesale) of our beef blend is right around $4.00/lb, making the cost to us of a 10-ounce burger patty alone $2.50, before labor, toppings, bun, etc.

In this case the reality may just be more impressive than the myth, but in any case I am happy to dispel any and all myths should they become a concern.

ETA: I wrote the above reply without having read the post regarding Cameron Perks, which is indeed as sad as it is scary.

I took two friends from out of town here yesterday. They loved it, though both had also heard that same myth bandied about (I believe from the radio).

I hadn't realized that the only side that came with the burger was a wedge of orange, but that was fine - we couldn't eat more than our burgers (and a half-pitcher of root beer for me) anyways. I had the Punisher - very tasty.

I think it is easily the best burger place in the area (no offense to Five Guys or Spike). My only complaint is that the burgers when cooked medium rare or less tend to fall apart. Otherwise, it is one of the most enjoyable and cost-efficient meals one can have.

I had a Dogcatcher last night, dripping rare and marrowy, and I don't care if the other 45% are the bodies of the Improprietor's enemies; it was damn tasty. And the potato puffs were quite handy for sopping up some of the stray bloody goodness.
Potato puffs? Do tell!

Other than the day before Thanksgiving when there was a mad rush at 3 pm, I have found that going betwen 2:30 and 3:30 during the week is pretty ideal.

I think it worth going to Arlington at least once since the range of options is so much wider there. The burgers at RTC are very good but I prefer the Hell's version.

Is there a good time to hit Hell-Burgers? My dad and I made the pilgrimage from Rockville to give it a try on a Saturday afternoon and the place was packed. Or, since the burgers are now available at Ray's the Classics, should I go there instead?

I'll admit that I've never been there on a Saturday afternoon, but even when the line is to the door, it takes less than 10 minutes to get to the counter, and maybe 10 more for your burger.

The burger at RTC is the same patty, but not the same variety of toppings, and the atmosphere at RHB is certainly part of the charm. As are the root beer floats. :P