I am in New Orleans for the week of parental care duty, giving my sister and brother a break.  I snuck off for a mid day respite at Bayou Beer Garden on a steamy hot and overcast day.  The food menu has changed, and not for the better. ☹️  Since last time I was here, some of the yummy things on the menu, like the mussels, are gone.  But it’s still a great place.

864224B8-9D10-4011-810B-728CDEB1861E.jpeg

Just spent 48 hours.  Four great, can't-miss--virtually perfect--meals:

Lunches at Marjie's Grill and Turkey & the Wolf.  Dinners at Herbsaint and Coquette.  Coquette is the only one of the four I'd been to before, and it was just as good this time around.  Would go back to all four in a heartbeat. 

Was sorry I didn't have time to try these, all very highly recommended:  N7, Compère Lapin, La Petite Grocery, Saba (NOT Shaya--avoiding Besh places).

(Nor did I have time for Cochon and Peche, both of which I enjoyed on my previous trip.  I think it's very safe to say the forthcoming Link/Wilcomb Italian place will be great, too--they seem to care a great deal about keeping the quality high across multiple restaurants.)

OK, sazeracs and po' boys:

Sazeracs at Herbsaint and Coquette were great.  Decided also to try one at the Sazerac Room, in the Roosevelt Hotel.  Horrible (but what do I know?).  Not balanced at all, and the (too strong) whiskey overwhelmed all other components.  And $17.  What a racket (understandably trading on its legend, but still).

As for po' boys, I've come to think that one could ask 30 or more trusted people for their favorites and not get a single duplicate answer. I like that about New Orleans.  Anyway, taking the word of one such person (a bartender at Coquette), I decided to get the shrimp po' boy at Rampart Food Store.  It was as good as advertised, albeit not life-changing.  Would have been better if I had eaten it within five or so minutes of its making, which would have meant, I suppose, finding a spot in Louis Armstrong Park.  But it was 95 degrees, humid, and I had to get to the airport . . . .  Next time, think I'll try the Peacemaker at Bevi Seafood, also highly touted. 

One more thing:  Found a great little -- and I mean little -- coffee spot in the French Quarter:  Spitfire.  They really know how to pour a cup, and the cold brews were fantastic. Only three or so stools, though, so plan to carry out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, frogprince said:

Say hi next time 😎

I asked for you (Thursday evening), but you had been on the early shift!  The (female) bartender, whose name I unfortunately can't recall, was terrific--in addition to mixing a great sazerac, she gave me (warranted) reassurance that the kitchen wasn't resting on its laurels w/r/t some of the old stand-byes (the gumbo, the duck, the banana tart), i.e., that they wouldn't disappoint.  She was right, on all three scores.