On 5/14/2019 at 12:32 PM, Ericandblueboy said:

Taking the kids to the Crescent City in August.  Dinners will be at Herbsaint, Gianna, La Petite Grocery and Brennan's.  Looking for a great brunch spot for Saturday (not looking for egg dishes).  The place has to be casual (i.e., allows shorts and sandals).  

Mopho is fun and different, definitely no egg brunch things; if it’s the 3rd Saturday then you will be in great luck as that is spit roasted lamb day! (Its pork the other saturdays...)

1 hour ago, frogprince said:

Don’t sleep on Bevi neither...

We got one meal...where should we go for the best shrimp po-boy?  My trusted source says Domilise over Parkway,  but I don’t know about Bevi or Liuzza.

It’s not that hard to get a good shrimp poboy. Bevi is very popular, very casual.  But if you are anywhere near a local chain called “New Orleans hamburger,”  which is basically a fast food joint, they have very good fried seafood Poboy’s.  If you want to go to Bucktown, you can also enjoy a Poboy at Deannies or R&O. 

• Like 1

Nice white pizza at Sofia's in the Warehouse/Arts district (Julia street)

High Hat Cafe, Freret street. The table liked fried chicken, fried catfish, cubano sandwich. Shrimp and okra gumbo (recommended by trusted neighbors from my hometown, Abbeville)

Martin's Wine Store and Cafe, cubano sandwich (wish we could get one as good as that over here!). Baronne Street in Garden District

Herbsaint, fried oysters, spaghetti with guanciale and deep fried poached egg. Ooohs and ahhhss at the table.

Upperline, duck breast with foi gras (single best dish of the week was the tenderest fois gras!) , sweet potato pudding, turtle soup (dark and complex, not like the one at Commander's Palace), lamb shank osso buco style (wife's best dish)

Bayona, best dessert (coffee panna cotta with candied pistachios and strawberry sorbet), veal sweetbreads

I will write about what we had in Lafayette and environs in the SW Louisiana thread.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:22 AM, MC Horoscope said:

Herbsaint, fried oysters, spaghetti with guanciale and deep fried poached egg. Ooohs and ahhhss at the table

Say hi next time!

• Like 1

Going to look down through all these food recs, I think I am going to NOLA with a girlfriend as a bday thing.  There look to be all sorts of good hotels with decent prices (Yeah, yeah everyone else is heading to cooler temp destinations, but we figured we could sweat in humidity in DC or sweat while in humidity in NOLA, so we will take our battery powered misters and rock out....)  I haven't been in years.  Anyone stay at the Lowes there and have an opinion?

If you go down soon I recommend the Ogden Museum of Southern Art near Lee Circle. Wow! Vernacular art by African American painters (as if I know anything about that!). We saw this 3-D interactive projection that your shadow became part of the art. Can't explain.

Something I did not know til now. The Enterprise car rental place on Baronne where we dropped off our rental is like a 5-10 minute walk to Lee Circle and the WWII museum and the  trolley!

Have fun! We stayed at Hampton Inn on St Charles and relaxed with trolley rides mostly.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 2:49 PM, ktmoomau said:

Going to look down through all these food recs, I think I am going to NOLA with a girlfriend as a bday thing.  There look to be all sorts of good hotels with decent prices (Yeah, yeah everyone else is heading to cooler temp destinations, but we figured we could sweat in humidity in DC or sweat while in humidity in NOLA, so we will take our battery powered misters and rock out....)  I haven't been in years.  Anyone stay at the Lowes there and have an opinion?

Hit me up- sam@linkrestaurantgroup.com

On 6/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, ktmoomau said:

We're staying at Loews 8/7-8/11 (haven't been before).  When are you thinking about going to NOLA?

9 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

We're staying at Loews 8/7-8/11 (haven't been before).  When are you thinking about going to NOLA?

We are staying July 26-30 so we will just miss you!