New Orleans, LA

FunnyJohn

I wouldn't go to Little Gem Saloon for the food but certainly worth a night out if you can catch Kermit Ruffins playing there.

I booked us for dinner our first night there since he is playing! If we go for dinner, we get a table and don't have to stand during his set.

We loved Atchafalaya in the Garden District on our last visit.  Great bloody mary bar, live music and really good food.

They looked terrific (lively rather than staid brunch music, and good review), but fully booked for brunch.  On a future visit I'll be sure to book it in advance.

Hi all! Thanks so much for your help so far.

Another request:  any suggestions for lunches on the lighter side (or with some good options on the lighter side - the whole menu doesn't have to tend that way)? With some heavier meals planned, we will want some lighter meals on those days.  Not looking for a vegan place (the kiddo will not eat that), but it'd be great to know of some places where we can get tasty salads, or other lighter options (vegetables that aren't fried, vegetable-heavy dishes or light protein dishes).  But since we're in New Orleans, I'd rather not just get basic salads or deli turkey sandwiches if there are more delicious but still lightish choices.  Strong preference for the CBD and/or French Quarter - could go to Frenchman Street or maybe Garden District or riverfront if there's good sightseeing nearby.

And similarly, while I know we will have a couple breakfasts of Café du Monde beignets and probably pain perdu somewhere, anywhere with options for delicious breakfasts on the lighter side?

Some of our dinners are likely to feature non-fried seafood, but then again if something on the menu looks amazing and is richer, we may well get it.

We are skipping the jazz brunch (eating a big meal that night and husband would like to keep it to one big meal a day and have the others be smaller).

We have dinner reservations at:

Little Gem Saloon (so we can have table seating for Kermit Ruffins, not especially for the food)

August

Peche

Herbsaint

Brennan's

We will likely have a lunch at Bon Ton and/or L'il Dizzy's.

Going through this thread, I have more questions . . .

Can the K-Paul's coconut cake be ordered in advance for lunch?  Is it still amazing and worth a trip?

Has anyone been to August for brunch instead of dinner? (l see lunch is only on Fridays now.)

Is John Besh cooking at August, or is he likely to be at one of his other restaurants instead?

Thank you for all your suggestions and help, kind Rockwellians!

We had a wonderful lunch at Peche last month. I believe the menu is the same at lunch and dinner. The space is bright and open, so it was a great spot on a sunny afternoon. The fish sticks with LA31 batter were one of our favorite dishes, along with the roasted carrots (which don't show up on the current menu).

While it's not on your list, one of my favorite NOLA meals (several years ago) was a "Saturday Light Lunch" on the patio at Bayona.  I'm pretty sure I wrote it up somewhere upthread.

I had one of the best dinners of my life at August last week.  Two dishes were particularly outstanding. 

Their version of crawfish etouffee was simply amazing.  It is made with a bit of beef stock and the crawfish are in dumplings.  The broth (because it was far more like a soup than not) was smooth and satisfying.  The dumplings perfectly well cooked and the crawfish, not at all chewy.

Another outstanding plate was the fish stew but I don't see it on the menu. I did a tasting menu and trusted the kitchen to deal with my milk protein allergy.  They did well. 

To be clear, everything was fantastic but these two dishes, I dream about. 

2 trips to NOLA the last two months... just some highlights/brief reviews, not much details.

1. Commander's - still the finest service I've ever seen at a restaurant; turtle soup with sherry still has it, as does the bread pudding. You should make reservations. They relaxed the jacket thing for guys, I think.

2. Restaurant August - one of the finest meals I've had in a long time, also great service. We did chef's menu with wine pairings.

3. Mandina's - man, I loved this place before, and I really felt like it slipped. For po boys, the bread wasn't as good as I remembered, and the seafood just felt flat. Kind of a bummer. Oh, and the onion rings were just limp. Very sad for me, maybe off night.

4. Elizabeth's - in the Bywayer, great breakfast and brunch, pretty decadent, the benedicts are awesome, the praline bacons started a revolution and now everyone has encrusted bacon

5. Boucherie - neat place, awesome interior, great casual service (sort of like how I feel about Rose's Luxury here), it's back to basics menu wise in terms of ordering, app, entree, dessert. Niman Ranch pork ribs were delish. Duck confit app is tasty, too.

6. Stanley - breakfast/brunch next to the cathedral in the Quarter. What can you say? Greasy spoon, good bloody's. Hit the spot after a long night out.

7. Jazz Fest food - it's really good, but really heavy. Crawfish bread is cheesy goodness, soft shell crab po boy hard to beat. There is Vietnamese food that looked really good - big population in NOLA and east of the city. Cochon de Lait po boy is really good, it's a classic.

8. Liuzza's - (not Liuzza's By The Track) - "red gravy" Italian-Creole. Really love this place, with the frosted goblets of Abita and now other local brews. Their onion rings and fried green tomatoes were fantastic. We boys got into a heated discussion about vaccines and it involved the waitstaff, who were cool about it.. And they let us stay after close to watch the Blazers game.

9. Killer Po Boys - I didn't go, but friends did, they said it was fantastic, maybe the best place in the quarter for PB or that could be Johnny's, too.

10. Verti Mart - 24 hours deli, great sandwiches, "All That Jazz" - ham, turkey, cheese, other deliciousness. Greatest post party food, ever. See picture of Po boys eating po boys below! (okay maybe po in med school, not so much now)

11. Port of Call - I'm a non beef eater, and yet I always take my friends here when we visit. The best burger ever according to many. They cook it properly, too - medium rare is medium rare. If you don't eat beef, you will not have any options, so eat before hand. Or, drink a typhoon and forget that you're hungry. They'll only serve you two.

Lagniappe - after or before the Fest, if you have a hankering for crawfish, go to Broadview Seafood. Vietnamese family, $3.99/lb for boiled spicy crawfish. All the sides, and some other sandwiches and things, too. Can dump out on little tables, and get beer from the cooler - all kinds, not just American lager, but lots of craft stuff. UberX is not very good here, drivers arent' great and always a surge for Jazz Fest (I've been to ACL and UberX worked well there). Uber Black is good if you have a big group, otherwise stick with regular cabs. Spitfire Coffee in the Quarter is really great, 3rd wave coffee with pour overs, etc.

post-9113-0-94963500-1430241723_thumb.jp

I was there back in May and went to Willie Mae's Scotch House for the fist time and had the fried chicken.  I think it was the best I've ever had.  It's a very casual place and wearing shorts is no problem.  We also enjoyed going to Borgne restaurant.  I had the duck poppers, black drum a la plancha, and the chocolate hazelnut puddin.  Everything was great!

With shorts, in no particular order (it's DAMN hot down here y'all)

Liuzza's by the track

High hat

Cochon butcher

Willie mae's

Parkway

Parasol's

Balise

Ancora

Pizza delicious

NOLA smokehouse

Mcclure's

Little Korea

Company burger

NOLA poboys

Sylvain (for dranx)

9 roses

I got more if you want'em

• Like 1

During our visit at the end of May we had a wonderful meal (and a fun celebrity sighting) at Herbsaint, and, though a completely different experience (old school, charming, pretty over-the-top) really good food at Brennan's as well.  One recommendation for a more casual, kind of under-the-radar sort of place is Eat New Orleans.  http://eatnola.com.  (note: it's BYOB).  

My wife informed me I WILL wear long pants if necessary so that expands our dining options. Yes dear. That said, my brother who will be joining us insists we go to his favorite place which I have never heard of and can't remember the name so that leaves one night but of course we have to eat breakfast and lunch.

My wife informed me I WILL wear long pants if necessary so that expands our dining options. Yes dear. That said, my brother who will be joining us insists we go to his favorite place which I have never heard of and can't remember the name so that leaves one night but of course we have to eat breakfast and lunch.

What is this favorite place!?!

Where can one find recs for a place to stay that won't break the bank?! Heading to NOLA for a wedding reception on Columbus Day weekend. Party at Pharmacy Museum Friday night, so if not nearby, I'll need to be able to find a cab. Is the Garden District doable?

Where can one find recs for a place to stay that won't break the bank?! Heading to NOLA for a wedding reception on Columbus Day weekend. Party at Pharmacy Museum Friday night, so if not nearby, I'll need to be able to find a cab. Is the Garden District doable?

Look for hotels in the Central Business District next to French Quarters.  From there you can easily walk to French Quarters.  Garden District is a cab/trolley ride away from the best restaurants, which are mostly in CBD/FQ.

• Like 1

Wow, did we have a great meal at Herbsaint. Sam was kind enough to send out a couple of things for our table-a cobia crudo and a spicy small pot of beans. I enjoyed the signature short ribs and we also ordered the tuna. I wasn't really taking notes but the food and service was top notch and certainly makes the city proud. And for the record, I was wearing shorts given the 100 degree temps. A lengthy and interesting wine list as well. We will return.

Thanks again Sam!!

• Like 1

Near the Garden District, I highly recommend Coquette.

Look for hotels in the Central Business District next to French Quarters.  From there you can easily walk to French Quarters.  Garden District is a cab/trolley ride away from the best restaurants, which are mostly in CBD/FQ.

Thanks! I was able to find a place in the CBD for under $200/night with a kitchenette. Right near August Restaurant...

For lover's of Coquette (and late nite dining as well), head to Barrel Proof on Magazine (just pass Calliope) for Little Bird, a relatively-permanent pop-up from the chefs of Coquette and Meauxbar; I've not been but several people at work have and all raved, plus its open late for us nite owls and industry folk.

For lover's of Coquette (and late nite dining as well), head to Barrel Proof on Magazine (just pass Calliope) for Little Bird, a relatively-permanent pop-up from the chefs of Coquette and Meauxbar; I've not been but several people at work have and all raved, plus its open late for us nite owls and industry folk.

Looks great!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Bird/1018812248152603?fref=nf

I will be in New Orleans soon for a conference and staying at the Roosevelt. While my first night includes a business dinner (at Galatoire's), I will have one night to fend for myself. I am looking for recommendations for places within walking distance of the Roosevelt where I can dine solo (preferably bar area). I'm open to all cuisines/price points. Thanks! 

I will be in New Orleans soon for a conference and staying at the Roosevelt. While my first night includes a business dinner (at Galatoire's), I will have one night to fend for myself. I am looking for recommendations for places within walking distance of the Roosevelt where I can dine solo (preferably bar area). I'm open to all cuisines/price points. Thanks! 

Walking distance is very subjective!

Cochon is 1 mile, and really good

Domenica's is in the hotel, and great and can eat at bar

I don't know if Bayona's is still any good.

But, Uber finally made it to NOLA and it works out to cheaper than here! So, can go to Toups Meatery, or Le Petit Grocery, or I don't know, so many great places.

I finally did the Galatoire's Friday lunch at the downstairs dining room a few weeks ago. It's one of the best cultural experiences I've ever had.

• Like 1

R'Evolution in the Royal Sonesta Hotel. Good for eating at the bar.

I really liked Kingfish on Chartres in the Quarter. If you're lucky bartending legend Chris McMillian will be there mixing the cocktails he helped to curate for the menu. Even if you don't like mint juleps, the history of the drink he tells as he mixes is not to be missed.

Herbsaint

• Like 1

We will be there in late March for 4 nights. Have reservations at Herbsaint, Toup's Meatery and Friday lunch at August.

Planning on hitting up Mahonys, Cochon Butcher, and Cafe du Monde. Sazerac Bar and French 75 on the list. Planning on grabbing a Central Grocery muffuletta to take home.

Still need 2 more dinners and a couple more lunch spots. And maybe a good spot to watch jazz. It looks like Kermit Ruffin no longer does his Thursday night gig.

Been to Luke a few times, have always wanted to go to August, but they only do lunch on Fridays and sorta would prefer that over Galatoire's for a few hours.

Domilise's has been on my list for a while. Probably will do that. Thinking about Cochon, but not sure if that's too much Link between Herbsaint and Butcher (gotta do Butcher -- that'll be our first thing after dropping bags at the hotel).

We will be there in late March for 4 nights. Have reservations at Herbsaint, Toup's Meatery and Friday lunch at August.

Planning on hitting up Mahonys, Cochon Butcher, and Cafe du Monde. Sazerac Bar and French 75 on the list. Planning on grabbing a Central Grocery muffuletta to take home.

Still need 2 more dinners and a couple more lunch spots. And maybe a good spot to watch jazz. It looks like Kermit Ruffin no longer does his Thursday night gig.

Go to August for dinner.  It is one of the best restaurants in the United States.  Cochon is excellent but a couple of steps below.

• Like 1

Go to August for dinner.  It is one of the best restaurants in the United States. 

Curious what makes you say this. What would be your other nine? Or, if it's so high up in your Top 10 list that you don't even have to think about 10 restaurants, could you name the few restaurants you'd place above it?

• Like 1

I posted 2 years ago that August was the best meal we had that year, and I still agree. Not only was every course a complete success, service was among the best I have ever experienced.

A perfect example: There were 2 different tasting menus that night, a 5-course degustation and a 4-course vegetarian. We asked the waiter if it would cause a pacing problem if we ordered one of each, and were assured that it would not be at all. She asked if we were sharing, and if there were any ingredients that one of us didn't care for. (yes, and no).

What they proceeded to do was reorder the 9-courses for a grand tasting menu (the reordering made it a brilliant progression), and I think at least 11 or 12 courses showed up. We had each ordered the wine pairing that went with our menu, and they provided a pour for each of us for every one of the courses, including the extra ones.

We were not VIPs, we'd never been before, there was no reason for our 2-top to be treated like royalty, but we walked out thinking that we were the only table being served that night.

New Orleans is obviously an incredible dining city, and I've been back without going back to August simply because there were other places I wanted to try, but if there's one place that must be included on a dining itinerary, it's August.

• Like 5

Been to Luke a few times, have always wanted to go to August, but they only do lunch on Fridays and sorta would prefer that over Galatoire's for a few hours.

Domilise's has been on my list for a while. Probably will do that. Thinking about Cochon, but not sure if that's too much Link between Herbsaint and Butcher (gotta do Butcher -- that'll be our first thing after dropping bags at the hotel).

Say hi! I would say, personally, I would rather do friday lunch at Galatoire's than August, just in terms of experiencing something uniquely local; August is an excellent restaurant but one that could exist in a dozen metropolitan areas and still not have a grounded sense of place, whereas there is only one place on earth one could be during Friday afternoon at Galatoire's.

Other recs: Bevi in Mid-City for crawfish and po boys,

Parkway for po boys

Shaya really is as good as all the hype, definitely recommended

Tan Dinh on the Westbank for superlative Vietnamese

Company Burger for the obvious

Lil Dizzy's for the buffet (yes)

Buffa's cos you have to have a drink in at least one 24 hour bar just to say you did and it's the funnest

Bacchanal for drinking wine outside, live music and tasty Mediterrean snacks

MoPho for "Mississippi Delta meets Mekong Delta"

Angeline for sophisticated pan Southern

Bar Tonique for grown up dranx on the edge of the Quarter

About your concern between "too much Link" about going to Herbsaint, Butcher and Cochon, I can comfortably say that the 3 couldn't be more different.

Holla at me if you need anything else!

• Like 3

Agree about service and ambience and overall feeling like a king at August. We had one vegetarian with us and we all did tasting menu, and they made it work beautifully. Overall, service is just better down there. A lot of "professionals" in food service. Becoming a "captain" or whatever at a high end restaurant there is something to aspire to.

If you can't get to Galatoire's, save it for another trip. The first hour when it opens is so cool - the regulars pick their servers, people walk around and chat up their friends, and there is a solid hour of cocktails before the food starts up... Such a blast.

Oh, and not a great beer town, but getting bettter, and if that's your jam, The Avenue Pub has a great selection of crafts, a lot from the southern region, and Cooter Brown's has a great Belgian selection.

Ok, I have to book a ticket for Jazz fest now.

In early June my wife and I had roast beef poboys at Parkway Bakery and Tavern and both came away wondering where was the flavor. The meat was tender and the bread very good but we left scratching our heads about all the good publicity. I guess we should trade notes with others who've been there recently. I would say Johnny's PoBoys in the FQ are much more flavorful.

My sister just got back from visiting her daughter who lives there, and said they went to Brown Butter for a delightful meal, also saying that the mains were good but the vegetables were outstanding.

Now that my elderly parents aren't very mobile, my regular visits to my hometown of New Orleans have included fewer and fewer restaurant adventures. So on this trip (last week) I happy to hit Shaya, the much-lauded modern Israeli home of Alon Shaya, for lunch. http://shayarestaurant.comu

Expectations were set extraordinarily high, so not surprising that I left feeling a bit deflated. Everything was "good." The pita cooked in their wood oven was lovely. Prices are reasonable and the setting is comfortable and casual. But the flavors seemed muted, especially compared to the best of, for instance, Zaytinya.

Starters:The Moroccan carrots, with chermoula and mint, didn't taste much of mint, though overall the dish was tasty. Pickles were done extremely well...cauliflower, watermelon rind, cabbage, cucumber. Our server recommended Shipka peppers, filled with goat cheese and sprinkled with Aleppo pepper. Tasted exactly as it reads. Not better than the sum of the parts. 

We split the curried fried cauliflower hummus and crispy Halloumi as "mains." I had heard strong praise for the cauliflower. But it wasn't crispy, I tasted no "curry," and the hummus was almost tasteless. It would have been good at a neighborhood kebab place, but for this top-rated restaurant, it fell flat. The cheese was fried perfectly. I could have eaten tons of that cheese. It was served with fresh plums and a very sweet plum sauce. At first I was weirded out by the sauce, but as our last course, this read a bit as a dessert, almost a reimagined cheesecake. For that, it worked well.

Service got wonky near the end of the meal. Water glasses were unfilled, and there was a very long lag between the hummus and the cheese. 

If I still lived in New Orleans I would return and try more of the menu, but I am scratching my head as to why this has had month-long waits for reservations and exuberant media praise.

If you find yourself in the still-sketchy, but gentrifying area of St. Claude and Franklin (hipsters moving in, galleries and yoga studios opening, but lots of boarded up storefronts and warnings about walking at night) hit the St. Roch market. http://www.strochmarket.com/

Think Union Market. Nice bar/oyster bar, global food stands, a bit of produce, baked goods, coffee. Oysters are half price during the last hour of service (8 pm to 9 pm). 

• Like 3

About 25 years ago, I was in New Orleans. You know what "they" say: "If you want to find a good restaurant, ask your cab driver." So we did, and he was an Italian gentleman who urged us to go to a place outside of town called Rocky & Carlo's - "It's where I hang out," he said. We did, and it was a delightful roadside restaurant - I remember absolutely *nothing* about it, except that it was a working-class place, maybe 5-10 miles outside of town, and Italian-owned (also that it was really good).

Do any of our New Orleans members have any knowledge of this restaurant?

6 hours ago, DonRocks said:

About 25 years ago, I was in New Orleans. You know what "they" say: "If you want to find a good restaurant, ask your cab driver." So we did, and he was an Italian gentleman who urged us to go to a place outside of town called Rocky & Carlo's - "It's where I hang out," he said. We did, and it was a delightful roadside restaurant - I remember absolutely *nothing* about it, except that it was a working-class place, maybe 5-10 miles outside of town, and Italian-owned (also that it was really good).

Do any of our New Orleans members have any knowledge of this restaurant?

As they say in that part of the country, "darlin', you was in Chalmette."  That is a working class suburb of New Orleans, but it has its own city government.  It is in St. Bernard Parish (county),  so, technically, not New Orleans, which is Orleans Parish. 

Rocky and Carlo's has been rebuilt twice, once following Hurricane Katrina, and once following a devastating fire a few years later.  It's a 50-year-old institution, and some of the original brothers, or at least their spouses and/or children, are still involved.  People in St. Bernard Parish consider it a beloved neighborhood institution.

But if you can imagine, from whatever you can remember while you were there, that entire area was under 8 feet of water when the levees broke after Katrina. 

We really enjoyed our dinner at Galatoire's November 3! I had the pompano. So fresh and moist and tasty! My wife had redfish topped with lump crab meat. We were in the downstairs area. Waiter was Billy Fontenot, quite a jolly fellow (with relatives from Ville Platte, of course, headquarters of the Fontenot family in Louisiana. BAM, cher!). I wore a jacket and tie and was a bit overdressed. Most men had jackets but not ties, FWIW.

The next day was Friday. We saw what looked like homeless people holding places in line outside the door for lunch walk-ins. At 10:00! Yikes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MC Horoscope said:

We really enjoyed our dinner at Galatoire's November 3! I had the pompano. So fresh and moist and tasty! My wife had redfish topped with lump crab meat. We were in the downstairs area. Waiter was Billy Fontenot, quite a jolly fellow (with relatives from Ville Platte, of course, headquarters of the Fontenot family in Louisiana. BAM, cher!). I wore a jacket and tie and was a bit overdressed. Most men had jackets but not ties, FWIW.

The next day was Friday. We saw what looked like homeless people holding places in line outside the door for lunch walk-ins. At 10:00! Yikes.

Say hi next time! Just kidding but next time say hi to Jason for us, we don't get to see him as much as we should. Or just come down to Herbsaint...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Is Shaya really worth visiting when Zahav is somewhat close to home?  I'm booking restaurants for Prez Day weekend.....

Staying in French Quarter, thoughts on where to go? Been to most of the usual suspects.

Maybe I had extremely high expectations, but I don't think Shaya is worth a special trip.  It was good. Not great.