• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, no.  Giuseppe's isn't bad but the meat is underseasoned.

I've never had a cheesesteak there, but have not been too impressed by the sight or aroma. I think that a good cheesesteak can only be made where they are the main focus of the house.

Ended up at Ba Le for a lunch banh mi -- shredded pork -- and a Sprite. It wasn't great, but it was good enough. More importantly, at $2.50 it is a real deal.

I'm a fan of Astor. I actually ate there tonight and wrote it up on my blog.  The chicken kabob was juicy, flavorful.  A soda is 75 cents there; you don't see that often.

Astor is really one of my favorite places in the neighborhood. I don't know if I'd really travel for it, but I am weekly grateful to live across the street from it.

The moussaka is one of my favorites--Egyptian style, just roasted eggplant with an amazing spackle-like tomato sauce that you scoop up with pita. The quarter chicken is the best in the neighborhood, I think, though some nights they only offer stuffed chicken, which is a distant second. The gyro sandwich ROCKS, and so does the small Greek salad (it has a better proportion of ingredients than the large). I also like the vegetarian pizza + chicken; it's not a good pizza by standard measures, but in its own class, it's delish. I'm also a big fan of the Astor Vegetarian, which is basically a collection of spoonfuls of all their salads and dips (you can swap out the spanikopita for an extra falafel ball or more salads). And the rice pudding always hits the spot. (Holy crap I eat there a lot.)

Speaking of which, the rice pudding at Chef's Kitchen, the not-quite-new Indian place on 18th Street, is SO good. Maybe because it was late and the guy tossed it in free with my korma, maybe I was just tipsy and ravenous, maybe it's just made almost wholly of heavy cream and sugar, but yummers.

Teaism is relatively cheap and yummy. Bento boxes for under 10 bucks. Alero's isn't a bad deal, either and the food's relatively decent. If you want to treat yourself, there is HH at the Russia House Lounge where Andre makes KILLER cocktails. I think the have HH specials, check first to make sure.

You can always do one of the chains but that would definitely put a damper on your evening of culture. You could walk it over to Adams and eat at the New Orleans Cafe (I think that's what it's called) but I don't know if you want to walk that far.

Edited by Gastro888

I like Timberlakes if you're looking for a sit-down pub joint--reasonably good bar food, reasonable prices, good selection, and a real neighborhoody type of place. I actually quite like the corned beef and cabbage they offer around St. Paddy's Day. And it's much less hectic and, er, sanitary, than the Childe Harold (which is also a cheap eats suggestion).

But I suppose I wouldn't call either place "great," so I guess that was no help at all!

I like Thai Chef, north of the circle on Connecticut. I used to like Thaiphoon, but then their food got small.

Dupont is a bit of a bear for cheap/great. Brickskellar's food is cheap but not great; Mark & Orlando's is great but not cheap.

Has Luna reopened yet?

I like Thai Chef, north of the circle on Connecticut. I used to like Thaiphoon, but then their food got small.

Dupont is a bit of a bear for cheap/great. Brickskellar's food is cheap but not great; Mark & Orlando's is great but not cheap.

Has Luna reopened yet?

Luna was still closed when I walked by last week.

I'll second Thai Chef. Don't know what time the Gallery Walk ends but their happy hour sushi prices are good and I'm a fan of their "wild" pork with spices, called Moo Klook Phoon. Menu here: http://66.34.56.214/thaichef/main.html.

Sette Osteria - as folks said, good, cheap, late.

Raku - blech... I had a rather bland meal there last spring and have had no desire to go back. The Dupont Circle branch is not close to the Bethesda outlet for food quality, though I admit it's been at least a couple years since I've been to the one in Bethesda.

I think everyone's talking about Luna Grill being closed? You could also try Cafe Luna at 17th and P; cheap, open till midnight.... decent food for the price point.

Granja De Oro (in Adams Morgan, on Columbia Road across from Cashion's and So's Your Mom) has awesome peruvian chicken - its juicy and flavorful and the least dry chicken you can find (next to Ooohs & Aaahs). The sides of rice and french fries are better than the yuca, and make sure to get the little containers of tangy white sauce and spicy green sauce.

You can pick which sections of the bird you like, and whether you want a quarter, half or whole chicken. They come with two sides each, and I believe the half chicken with two sides is about $7-8.

The atmosphere is nothing worth writing about, but they do have several tables if you'd like to eat-in rather than take-out.

eta: I've heard of a place called La Granja de Oro in Virginia, but I can't make any claims about that place - I don't even think they're connected.

Granja De Oro (in Adams Morgan, on Columbia Road across from Cashion's and So's Your Mom) has awesome peruvian chicken - its juicy and flavorful and the least dry chicken you can find (next to Ooohs & Aaahs).  The sides of rice and french fries are better than the yuca, and make sure to get the little containers of tangy white sauce and spicy green sauce.

You can pick which sections of the bird you like, and whether you want a quarter, half or whole chicken.  They come with two sides each, and I believe the half chicken with two sides is about $7-8. 

The atmosphere is nothing worth writing about, but they do have several tables if you'd like to eat-in rather than take-out.

eta: I've heard of a place called La Granja de Oro in Virginia, but I can't make any claims about that place - I don't even think they're connected.

Hm. I've gotten quarter chickens (white meat) from them twice and found them extremely dry. It's been a few months, so I suppose I could try again, but that's what I thought before that second chicken... I think the rice and fries are yummy, though.

I much prefer the Astor white quarter for flavor and juiciness.

i went to a place called Super Chicken (2531 Ennalls Ave.; in Wheaton next to El Pollo Rico) and found the chicken to be some of the best I have ever had.

1/2 chicken, and 2 sides were $5.50. unbelievable value. thought it was better than the meal i had at el pollo rico in arlington a year ago.

i went to a place called Super Chicken (2531 Ennalls Ave.; in Wheaton next to El Pollo Rico) and found the chicken to be some of the best I have ever had.

1/2 chicken, and 2 sides were $5.50. unbelievable value. thought it was better than the meal i had at el pollo rico in arlington a year ago.

That's our favorite, too. We like it better than the more renowned El Pollo Rico, as well. Unfortunately--unless this has changed--plantains are not part of the menu. So I usually go to El Pollo Rico to pick up an order of those, then down do Super Chicken for the rest. (Including fried yuca, something El Pollo doesn't have.)

That's our favorite, too. We like it better than the more renowned El Pollo Rico, as well. Unfortunately--unless this has changed--plantains are not part of the menu. So I usually go to El Pollo Rico to pick up an order of those, then down do Super Chicken for the rest. (Including fried yuca, something El Pollo doesn't have.)

eah, no plantains...i went with the yuca and the frijoles. eating there makes me chuckle inside when i think of all the fools at boston market and chicken out paying much more for a far more inferior product.

I came across a discussion of fish tacos on The Other Board -- what do y'all think of the ones at Baja Fresh? There seem to be very few options within 10-15 minutes of Rockville, and my recollection is that the food there is somewhat better than Chipotle (which isn't saying much, of course).

Also, are there any taco trucks in or around Tysons Corner, or are they all closer to Arlington?

I came across a discussion of fish tacos on The Other Board -- what do y'all think of the ones at Baja Fresh?

Not even as good as when BF first opened in the area (remember when they didn't look like fish sticks?) and in either case it's a looooooong way from ForniCalia.

There's another Super Chicken in Falls Church, on Washington Street near the intersection with Hillwood. I haven't been there in several years, but it used to be very good. The place was kind of a disgusting dive, but the chicken was wonderful. They charged extra if you wanted extra containers of their excellent sauces, and since the amount they gave you for no extra charge was tiny, I always used to cough up the $0.25 for an extra green sauce.

But speaking of chicken and cheap, does anyone remember El Pollo Primo, on 18th St. just south of Columbia Road? I think they closed sometime around 1995, very suddenly. I used to go there for a very cheap carryout meal once a week or so. It wasn't Peruvian; I think it was supposed to be Mexican, although the owners seemed to be from India and the workers were all Salvadoran. They grilled marinated whole chickens on this enormous brazier, and a quarter chicken with rice, beans, three corn tortillas, and a cup of house-made salsa cost, I think, $3.65, and it was awesomely good. One evening I rode over on my bike to pick up a quick dinner, and the place was dark and locked, and it never reopened. Pizza Movers moved into the space eventually, although I can't remember what's there now. I miss Pollo Primo.

I came across a discussion of fish tacos on The Other Board -- what do y'all think of the ones at Baja Fresh? There seem to be very few options within 10-15 minutes of Rockville, and my recollection is that the food there is somewhat better than Chipotle (which isn't saying much, of course).

I do like Baja Fresh, but no their fish tacos. Tired, dry and lifeless.

I just opened an email from Alexandria's tourist site, www.funside.com.

It lists restaurants which are running "Lunch and Dinner" specials for $16.07, and to call individually to get specific information.

Here's the link:

http://www.funside.com/dining_specials.asp

I called Majestic Cafe to inquire and was told that the special started next week, and applied to lunch.

Might be worth checking out.

There's another Super Chicken in Falls Church, on Washington Street near the intersection with Hillwood. I haven't been there in several years, but it used to be very good. The place was kind of a disgusting dive, but the chicken was wonderful. They charged extra if you wanted extra containers of their excellent sauces, and since the amount they gave you for no extra charge was tiny, I always used to cough up the $0.25 for an extra green sauce..

The Super Chicken in Wheaton is much less a dive than the El Pollo Rico a few doors down. It's one of the cleaner Peruvian chicken joints around--that was what first impressed my wife, who is far more finicky than me. And they give you all the extra sauces you want for no extra charge--I always double up on both the white and the green.

Edit: We got carry-out from Super Chicken tonight. I'm happy to report that they are now serving fried plantains. For my half chicken, my wifes quarter, rice, beans, yucca, plantains, and plenty of extra sauces, the total came to a princely $12.00.

There are a few Moe's Southwest Grills in the area and a taco (I like the Full Monty) which comes with a side of tortilla chips (which you can use to ravage the salsa fixin's bar) and a re-fillable fountain drink won't be much more than $5.00, if that. Pretty good food too.
I first ate at Moe's in NJ. I didn't know they had opened anywhere here. Where is a Moe's in the DC Metro area?

I just opened an email from Alexandria's tourist site, www.funside.com.

It lists restaurants which are running "Lunch and Dinner" specials for $16.07, and to call individually to get specific information.

Here's the link:

http://www.funside.com/dining_specials.asp

I called Majestic Cafe to inquire and was told that the special started next week, and applied to lunch.

Might be worth checking out.

out of the restaurants on that list which would come most highly reccommended considering everything?? (atmosphere, food, comparative value.. etc) thanks in advance

out of the restaurants on that list which would come most highly reccommended considering everything?? (atmosphere, food, comparative value.. etc) thanks in advance

can't speak to value as far as lunch goes, but for dinner, it would seem this price is a steal!

From the list, I'd look into Majestic Cafe, 100 King, Tempo, and Del Merei Grill.

After two visits to the vet in as many days, both right around that breakfast/brunch/lunch hour, we wound up at the Arlington Diner a few doors down. It's located in the strip mall on Glebe...which Glebe I don't know, I can never keep them straight - there's a Giant, a Gold's Gym and a few other places. It used to be the home of Rinaldi Lanes Bowling Alley and a free-standing Ollie's Trolley in the parking lot that my grandpa used to take us to, but that was many moons ago.

Back to the cheap eats - we had very filling and quite decent meals for under $20 for two on both days - tax and tip included. Their breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus are all served all day, so you can pretty much take care of any hankering you have. There are some Greek dishes on the menu along with pasta, sandwiches, and the usual deli breakfast items.

I had a Western omelet yesterday and a club sandwich today. Both were just what I expected them to be. I prefer my home fries a little crisper than the ones that came with the omelet, but the omelet was big enough I didn't really need to eat them anyway. The Club had thick pieces of sliced roasted turkey - not some pre-formed flimsy deli meat. The accompanying fries also could have been a little better cooked, but again the sandwich was quite filling on its own.

The +1 is a breakfast man and he had the 2 eggs w/toast and bacon both days. The sunny side up were a little too firm for him yesterday, but today they were just right. The serving of bacon was extremely generous - 4-5 large pieces. Good coffee that was kept filled.

Service was very pleasant, as was the interior of the restaurant. They also have a nice little covered outdoor area with several tables that we enjoyed today.

Surprised that no one has mentioned Full Kee (in Chinatown and Bailey's Crossroads). Their tabletop menu has all kinds of great deals: All the Hong Kong style noodle soups are under $6. The shrimp dumpling noodle soup is my favorite - 4 good size dumplings in a clear broth with thin, chewy noodles and scallions. Add a bit of the chili condiment and soy sauce that's on the table to it. The rice and noodle dishes are also under $10 - beef and vegetable chow foon and singapore style noodles ($8.95), beef and vegetable over rice, shrimp and egg over rice, roast pork over rice are $5.75 (they do not skimp on portions here). The special lunch menu in the regular menu has options for around $5. (The best is the combination lo mein with beef, chicken and shrimp. ) Also in the regular menu, the appetizers are a great deal: red roast pork, quarter duck, quarter chicken for $5.75. Consistently, Full Kee is a great place for a cheap meal.

Also recently discovered that Clyde's at Mark Center has $4 happy hour specials: crab and artichoke dip, chicken sandwich and burger for $4. Don't know if there are similar deals at other Clyde's.

Tonic in Mt. Pleasant also has $5 burgers for happy hour. Served with tater tots. 4.50 for a pint of Stella Artois or Magic Hat #9.

I have compiled the restaurants listed in the Cheap Eats thread. I did not include happy hours or restaurants where, if you order carefully, it is possible to not spend a ton because far too often you go to the places with grand intentions and then dessert beckons.

Hopes this helps.

(I did this because I was in Silver Spring one night this week and was curious about Negril)

Inexepensive_Eats.pdf

(I did this because I was in Silver Spring one night this week and was curious about Negril)

I was there just yesterday. They have a new "Negril Express" as a separate walk-in which is quick carryout only - meat loafs, vegetable patties, fish sandwich, etc. Their meat loaf for $1.30 is still a tremendous value although it has gotten a bit deeper, harsher, and less sloppy-Joe-like as the years have passed. (Thanks for doing this list!)

Cheers,

Rocks.

I first ate at Moe's in NJ. I didn't know they had opened anywhere here. Where is a Moe's in the DC Metro area?
Yet another Moe's sighting - it's one of the restaurants being built at Broadbirch and Tech Road (or is it Industrial Parkway) in northern Silver Spring. This is a site near the intersection of Rt 29 and East Randolph/Cherry Hill, near the emissions testing site and the new MVA facility.

The other restaurants will include TGIFriday, IHOP, and some pizza place. Whee. Glad to hear that Moe's isn't all that bad.

Based on the recommendations upthread, I took my grandmother to the Super Chicken in Wheaton. We ordered a whole chicken with fries and cole slaw (not my preference, but gotta defer to your elders) to go.

The chicken was perfectly roasted and juicy. It was not as seasoned as I expected, though the sauces certainly made up for that in spades. The green chili sauce could've used a bit of salt, and the mayo sauce worked better with the fries.

I will try El Pollo Rico next time, just to see how they compare.

As long as we're talking about rotisserie chicken...

There's a place in Fairfax, Wild Chicken, that I'm afraid will go out of business and deprive me of my cheap chicken lunches. All they do is chicken (well, with yucca and salad, fries, and sauces), but it's pretty good. The catch is that they're difficult to find - in the strip sort of across from the Border's plaza (with the Chipotle) on Rt. 29 just past the Rt. 50/29 split, in one of the stores at the back of the building. You really have to be looking for it. Go, if you get a chance! Get the whole chicken and save the bones for stock. Ummmmm.

Wild Chicken

11039 Lee Hwy

Fairfax, VA 22030

(703) 383-0266

I would also add Galileo Grill

I have compiled the restaurants listed in the Cheap Eats thread. I did not include happy hours or restaurants where, if you order carefully, it is possible to not spend a ton because far too often you go to the places with grand intentions and then dessert beckons.

Hopes this helps.

Inexepensive_Eats.pdf

Based on the recommendations upthread, I took my grandmother to the Super Chicken in Wheaton. We ordered a whole chicken with fries and cole slaw (not my preference, but gotta defer to your elders) to go.

The chicken was perfectly roasted and juicy. It was not as seasoned as I expected, though the sauces certainly made up for that in spades. The green chili sauce could've used a bit of salt, and the mayo sauce worked better with the fries.

I will try El Pollo Rico next time, just to see how they compare.

I gotta say I am a big fan of Crisp and Juicy more then El Pollo Rico. Their chicken has great seasonings; I think the difference is that El Pollo Rico is chargrilled too.

Surprised that no one has mentioned Full Kee (in Chinatown and Bailey's Crossroads). Their tabletop menu has all kinds of great deals: All the Hong Kong style noodle soups are under $6. The shrimp dumpling noodle soup is my favorite - 4 good size dumplings in a clear broth with thin, chewy noodles and scallions. Add a bit of the chili condiment and soy sauce that's on the table to it. The rice and noodle dishes are also under $10 - beef and vegetable chow foon and singapore style noodles ($8.95), beef and vegetable over rice, shrimp and egg over rice, roast pork over rice are $5.75 (they do not skimp on portions here). The special lunch menu in the regular menu has options for around $5. (The best is the combination lo mein with beef, chicken and shrimp. ) Also in the regular menu, the appetizers are a great deal: red roast pork, quarter duck, quarter chicken for $5.75. Consistently, Full Kee is a great place for a cheap meal.

There's a Full Key in Wheaton on University. I haven't been in a while, but it was awesome before. Great homestyle shrimp and egg on rice, salt and pepper squid and congee. Hmm... might need to go back. Has anyone been there recently?

I gotta say I am a big fan of Crisp and Juicy more then El Pollo Rico. Their chicken has great seasonings; I think the difference is that El Pollo Rico is chargrilled too.

My list goes like this:

1. El Pollo Rico

2. Crisp and Juicy

3. Super Chicken

I will say however that all are very good and all are a ridiculous value. Also, this ranking is based exclusively on the chicken.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to introduce myself, but i didn't see anywhere specifically for that. Anyways, this site looks like a great place to get info on dc restaurants. My question is, is there a part of the site that i can look for specific cuisines? I only see topics about individual restaurants. is there like a japanese, indian, mediterranean topic? or is there like a cheap eat part? i'm looking for good cheap burritos and jamaican restaurants.