Welcome to the board. The dinning guides helps in finding restaurants by area, but not by cuisine. So just ask your specific question and people will happily provide answers, and likely link you to the restaurants they recommend. Also search by keywords and you might find what you are looking for.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

or is there like a cheap eat part? i'm looking for good cheap burritos and jamaican restaurants.

Welcome to DR.com. You may come here in search of cheap eats, but if you are anything like me, you'll end up with a wish-list of expensive restaurants that you never would've known about otherwise. It's a good thing :lol:

i'm just a poor college student but i really like trying new restaurants in dc. i've only recently started going to nicer restaurants in dc. i really like the places in penn quarter. i've been to oya, zengo, zaytinya, ceiba, ps7s and zola. out of all those zaytinya is probably my favorite foodwise. i liked oya for it's decor. the only one i didn't like was zola. i thought the food was actually pretty bad when i went. i've also tried matchbox in the same area. their mini burgers are really good

Inspired by the Post's pupuseria crawl article a few months ago, I finally trekked down the street to:

Pupuseria El Buen Gusto

10012 Main Street, Fairfax, VA

703-218-3489

We tried all of their pupusas (cheese, refried bean, pork and cheese and lorocco), which sell for $1.75 each. They came with a tangy, salsa-ish sauce and a big bowl of cabbage slaw (sweetish and lightly vinegary). We liked all except the loroco, which is a green flower bud that doesn't have much of a distinct flavor (my companion: I thought he said flour!). This place is a great option for a cheap eats snack or meal (2-4 pupusas should do the trick, depending on your appetite)! The restaurant is tiny (5? tables), on the side strip off Main Street in Fairfax City, and seems to cater to a predominantly Salvadoran (I assume) crowd. There is a picture menu available of their other offerings, which I hope to try on another visit - soon!

Reading the Dino thread on the $37 Kol Nidre dinner got me to thinking...

I know where to get 2-for-1 burgers, insanely affordable ethnic food, and other resources for cheap, quick, casual eats. But what about deals on fine dining? The state of the economy is making it plain that I need to start putting money away for when my parents' 401Ks implode, but I'd really like that to mean that I start dining out smarter, not less or dive-ier. Despite these scary times, people are still going to have birthdays, visitors are still going to come to town, and special occasions are still going to occur. (I promise.)

So where can we go to have a fine wines, top-notch food, and excellent service--without having to atone on ramen and Charles Shaw at home for the next month? Can we pool our collective brilliance to create a list of dining deals, so that not only do we win, but so do our favorite restaurants, which really need us too right now?

So where can we go to have a fine wines, top-notch food, and excellent service--without having to atone on ramen and Charles Shaw at home for the next month? Can we pool our collective brilliance to create a list of dining deals, so that not only do we win, but so do our favorite restaurants, which really need us too right now?
We are very proud to announce we won Wine Spectator's 2008 Award of Excellence in their August issue and have over 10 Entrees on our Dinner Menu for under $20 with the addition of our new DEL-icious menu (offered 7 nights a week). I have attached this menu to this post. It is true that restaurants need your support right now.

DELiciousweb.pdf

In case you need liquid sustenance, check out the Jefferson Hotel's special martini honoring the new nickel--it's only 5 cents (must be paid with a new nickel) and has Grey Goose vodka, riesling, and a lemon twist. It's quite tasty and potent. I think it's available weeknights from 5 to 5:55 pm for the next few weeks.

I followed it up Wednesday night with a trip to Oohs and Aahs at 10th and U, where I enjoyed fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, and cornbread (a nice, light supper!) for about $13. It's great comfort food. Right now they've just got a few stools at the counter (which allows you to chat with the very nice people who work there) but next week they'll have a new upstairs space open with tables.

I didn't get to the Jefferson's bar in time to get the nickel martini, but the bar is a pretty nice place. It's quiet and it's pleasant to sit by the windows on Franklin Street.

I haven't tried the other restaurants there, but I did experience the banquet service. If you have cause to attend an event at the Jefferson Hotel, make sure you eat somewhere else first. You won't want to acually eat the banquet food.

I was there Saturday and was served the Chicken Norfolk. It comes with a sahara-dry chicken breast, and fried green tomatoes that have somehow been rendered totally without flavor of any sort. I'd have thought the tomato would have at least tasted like grease. I also tried the maple and pecan glazed salmon. Ask yourself if you like sawdust with your pancakes, and you'll get the idea. Except the pancakes are missing.

Wayne Rash

I didn't get to the Jefferson's bar in time to get the nickel martini, but the bar is a pretty nice place. It's quiet and it's pleasant to sit by the windows on Franklin Street.

I haven't tried the other restaurants there, but I did experience the banquet service. If you have cause to attend an event at the Jefferson Hotel, make sure you eat somewhere else first. You won't want to acually eat the banquet food.

I was there Saturday and was served the Chicken Norfolk. It comes with a sahara-dry chicken breast, and fried green tomatoes that have somehow been rendered totally without flavor of any sort. I'd have thought the tomato would have at least tasted like grease. I also tried the maple and pecan glazed salmon. Ask yourself if you like sawdust with your pancakes, and you'll get the idea. Except the pancakes are missing.

Wayne Rash

I was also there for the same banquet. I had pre-ordered a non dairy meal. What I was served was something that vaguely resembled frozen veggies out of a bag, except that they had been cooked to the points of being slimy! added to this was chunks of tofu that they had managed to cook to the consistency of the average golf ball. Needless to say that meal was sent back. To make matters worse, they managed to screw up the orders of the bride and groom. Both are vegetarians, and they were served chicken. The Jefferson clearly has issues that need to be addressed.

I believe the Jefferson has been closed for serious renovations for over two years now, so the odds of your comment being relevant they finally reopen are not good. http://www.jeffersondc.com/

I am going to go out on a limb and say that these two posters are speaking of their experience in the Jefferson Hotel at 101 West Franklin Street in Richmond, whereas the original poster was referring to the DC spot of the same name. The dinner menu for the Richmond variant does sport a Chicken Norfolk; no mention of how dry it is, however.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that these two posters are speaking of their experience in the Jefferson Hotel at 101 West Franklin Street in Richmond, whereas the original poster was referring to the DC spot of the same name. The dinner menu for the Richmond variant does sport a Chicken Norfolk; no mention of how dry it is, however.

That's correct. We're speaking of the Jefferson in Richmond.

However, the dining at the Jefferson in DC that's under rennovation is unlikely to be worse, and may be even better. But getting served may take a while.

Wayne Rash