DiRoNA

Al Dente

This past weekend I visited family on the Eastern Shore and dined at a restaurant called 213 in bustling Fruitland MD, a "suburb" of Salisbury. Now if you've ever been to Fruitland, pronounced FROOTlin to those in the know, you would be surprised by this joint. Hell, even if you found this joint in comparitively cosmopolitan Salisbury you'd be scratching your head. 213 takes a stab at fine dining and sort of pulls it off. I thought they tried too hard with the amuse bouche and pre-entree sorbet, but otherwise I had a fine salad of baby greens, herbs, and duck confit as well as a steak (which they claimed was and it seemed to be usda prime) au poivre that was as good as any I've had.

Anyway, they made a big deal out of being recently recognized by DiRoNA (though looking at the DiRoNA website they seem to have gone missing) and I wondered whether having that honor bestowed upon your restaurant was really an indication of anything. I mean, you're mentioned in Zagat's? Whoop-de-doo. Is DiRoNA much the same?

DiRoNA

feel free to move this thread wherever it belongs...

In its wine award program, this is the award that Wine Spectator uses to designate restaurants with good food as well as a strong wine list. As far as I know they are not affiliated with the award in terms of rating the restaurants.