Barrel Oak Winery

I have done my fair share of visiting Virginia Wineries and purchasing their wines to support the local industry. With the exception of Chris Pearmund's wines, I have always thought the wines left much to be desired.

I think the times are a'changing. This past weekend we stumbled upon Barrel Oak Winery in Delaplane Virginia. It is right off I-66. I had seen the building going up, but did not realize that it was a winery. The building itself is spectacular. The owner (Brian) is a builder who designed and contracted this building himself. It is a "Green" building. The majority of materials were recycled, heating is geothermal, the doors of the building open wide to allow natural breezes to cool. The building is also built into a hillside. The upstairs is completely above ground but the bottom, which is the winery itself is surrounded by earth on three sides. They will have refrigeration, but there energy use will be minimal. This is a building that will lend itself nicely to corporate and private events. I have traveled all over the world visiting wineries and I cannot think of one that tops the beauty of this one.

The true surprise was in the wines! We tasted only the reds and were very pleasantly surprised. Sharon (owner and wife of Brian) is the vintner and has only been learning the industry for the past few years. The wines they currently have are her freshman attempt. This lady is going places! I cannot find my list of reds with notes, but the first was called "Bauhaus" red. It is a table blend of different grapes. This wine actually has depth and body, hints of tobacco, supple tannins, and went down smoothly for a pleasant finish. They also bottled a Franc, Sauvignon, Norton,Petit Verdot, etcetera. As their vines are just getting underway, they sourced the grapes for the wines they are pouring now. They eventually hope to grow about 50% of their own grapes and source the rest. I e-mailed the owner to get a list (or hopefully find my own) and will add them later. Needless to say if this is Sharon's first attempt, she is headed for greatness and finally proving that great wines can come out of Virginia! This is a winery that is stressing quality as opposed to quantity.

I cannot suggest strongly enough, if you visit ANY winery in Virginia, visit Barrel Oak! Go to their website and see what events they have coming up! Bring your dog, your kids, snack on their cheeses and charcuterie, (I don't know if you can bring your own food, but you can ask). Most importantly, drink their wines! I am so thrilled with what they have accomplished so early! I believe this winery showcases what Virginia wines can and should be! Congratulations Sharon and Brian!

BARREL OAK WINERY

Nice name.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek, Jake? :lol:

One would hope that the wines show more imagination than the name. I'm sorry, but it really does sound to me like the sort of corporate "branding" that the wine industry behemoths use on their national brands, one of those cookie-cutter names that is ubiquitous in grocery stores and chain wine shops.

Worse, it also implies (to me, anyway) an enthusiastic use of (probably) new oak, which sends chills up my spine.

I really, really hope that I'm wrong. I, too, wish them all the success in the world, seriously. I'd love for them to gain recognition for superior wines grown in a tough climate.

I have done my fair share of visiting Virginia Wineries and purchasing their wines to support the local industry. With the exception of Chris Pearmund's wines, I have always thought the wines left much to be desired.

I think the times are a'changing. This past weekend we stumbled upon Barrel Oak Winery in Delaplane Virginia. It is right off I-66. I had seen the building going up, but did not realize that it was a winery. The building itself is spectacular. The owner (Brian) is a builder who designed and contracted this building himself. It is a "Green" building. The majority of materials were recycled, heating is geothermal, the doors of the building open wide to allow natural breezes to cool. The building is also built into a hillside. The upstairs is completely above ground but the bottom, which is the winery itself is surrounded by earth on three sides. They will have refrigeration, but there energy use will be minimal. This is a building that will lend itself nicely to corporate and private events. I have traveled all over the world visiting wineries and I cannot think of one that tops the beauty of this one.

The true surprise was in the wines! We tasted only the reds and were very pleasantly surprised. Sharon (owner and wife of Brian) is the vintner and has only been learning the industry for the past few years. The wines they currently have are her freshman attempt. This lady is going places! I cannot find my list of reds with notes, but the first was called "Bauhaus" red. It is a table blend of different grapes. This wine actually has depth and body, hints of tobacco, supple tannins, and went down smoothly for a pleasant finish. They also bottled a Franc, Sauvignon, Norton,Petit Verdot, etcetera. As their vines are just getting underway, they sourced the grapes for the wines they are pouring now. They eventually hope to grow about 50% of their own grapes and source the rest. I e-mailed the owner to get a list (or hopefully find my own) and will add them later. Needless to say if this is Sharon's first attempt, she is headed for greatness and finally proving that great wines can come out of Virginia! This is a winery that is stressing quality as opposed to quantity.

I cannot suggest strongly enough, if you visit ANY winery in Virginia, visit Barrel Oak! Go to their website and see what events they have coming up! Bring your dog, your kids, snack on their cheeses and charcuterie, (I don't know if you can bring your own food, but you can ask). Most importantly, drink their wines! I am so thrilled with what they have accomplished so early! I believe this winery showcases what Virginia wines can and should be! Congratulations Sharon and Brian!

BARREL OAK WINERY

All you need to do is read the back label on the bottles - made in Broad Run, Virginia, not Delaplane. Now then, who do you know that owns and runs a winery in Broad Run? That's right - Pearmund.

It turns out that Pearmund Cellars and the Winery at La Grange made the wines for Barrel Oak's first year. We'll just have to see how they make out once they are on their own with the 2008 harvest.

We wish them well and they seem to be off to a good start.