How is Violina in the the downtown mall area these days? About five years ago we had a fine lunch there and talked to Dan Akroyd, whose band was playing locally (his brother-in-law lives in the Winchesrer area)..he bought us a few drinks and we all had a great time. Used to be a nice Bulgarian restaurant south of town which has long gone out of business (Cafe Sofia). Can't think of anything else there except for the greasiest pizza in any town at Enrico's..a great place to get the munchies in high school!

Welcome! Why not start a new thread and tell us about some of the restaurants in Winchester?

Unfortunatly Winchester is going through a "big-box" stage. In the last year or so we have gotten, Fridays, Panera, Olive Garden, Chipotle, Outback, Applebees, etc.

There are some very good Indian restaurants, Passage to India and Sona, but both are overpriced. As is the forementioned Violino, which is great, but cost as much as fine dining in DC. The Naked Oyster is a little hole in the wall run by a husband and wife, he is a wonderful cook, and they get some nice seafood from Baltimore a few times a week. Oddly in a few short blocks, Sheperdstown, WV has better restaurants then Winchester.

What about Triangle Diner? For sale? Not for sale?

Yea, still for sale, been on the market for over a year, I believe they are trying to get 500,000 for it. Its claim to fame being Patsy Cline worked there, before becoming famous.

http://www.wincfood.com/ is a good site for info on winchester dining, just realize the perspective, there are still lines a mile long at Olive Garden every night.

Dont get me wrong, I love living here, it is a great town to raise a family, but no hub for dining.

Funny reading this 4 years later and Triangle Diner still isnt open. It was purchased and the sign was put up, but from the looks of it, still the same.

If you havent been, the walking mall in old town is really quaint. Violino and Thai Winchester are both family owned and very good. Village Square and One Block West are both good, but can be hit or miss. The Union Jack and V2 Lounge and both nice for a drink. A small drive will get you to both the Ashby Inn and L'Auberge Provencale, both are excellent. There is a new little market Bonnie Blue, close to old town, doing very good smoked chicken and pork, everything is made in house, not really a place for sit down, but if you want to pick up some stuff its worth stopping at. Haute Dogs and Market Burger in Purceville are worth a short drive for that type of food.

Funny reading this 4 years later and Triangle Diner still isnt open. It was purchased and the sign was put up, but from the looks of it, still the same.

If you havent been, the walking mall in old town is really quaint. Violino and Thai Winchester are both family owned and very good. Village Square and One Block West are both good, but can be hit or miss. The Union Jack and V2 Lounge and both nice for a drink. A small drive will get you to both the Ashby Inn and L'Auberge Provencale, both are excellent. There is a new little market Bonnie Blue, close to old town, doing very good smoked chicken and pork, everything is made in house, not really a place for sit down, but if you want to pick up some stuff its worth stopping at. Haute Dogs and Market Burger in Purceville are worth a short drive for that type of food.

Thanks for the Winchester update, Daniel. (Daniel also sent me this via PM: Triangle Diner).

We wandered down a very quiet Loudoun Street Mall looking at menus and ended up at Brewbakers. I was quietly rooting for Violino (Italian) but it was Birthday Boy's choice since he had been eating out for two weeks at that point and he liked the variety of items on the menu. He had the pan-seared pork loins, which he liked. I had the Chicken Everything Rigatoni, which was too salty but a good size, so he got some leftovers out of it. The entrees came with side salads and really good rolls, which was nice. It wasn't busy so service was prompt, although the table of 4 people next to us that came later was having problems with the server coming back several times to clarify orders.

I have to remember that yes, I'm not in the DC area when a good-sized margarita was only $5.81 on the bill.

Afterwards he had a cappuccino at Espresso Bar and Cafe, which he enjoyed. We also played chess. I am a lousy chess player.

Birthday Boy dined at Thai Winchester the other day and said that the food wasn't much different from the Thai restaurant we occasionally visit on Route 1 in Alexandria, Thai Herbs. Others in his group raved about it, though.

---

50/50 Taphouse (alexandria1)