DanCole42

Next Food Network Star

Seeing as there's a post for Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef, I thought I'd check in to see if anyone was catching the Food Network's third reality competition foray.

Colombe (who looks like the love child of Jewel and Katherine Heigl) was a former child star. She played the titular character's love interest in Rookie of the Year, and the game saving goalie, Julie "The Cat" Gaffney, in Mighty Ducks 2 and 3. Quack quack quack! Flying V! Woo!

Looks to be an interesting crop this season.

While it is good that I am getting away from TV over the summer, I did notice that three of the four shows that I currently DVR are food related (Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef and The Next Food Network Star). I don't know why I watch Hell's Kitchen, I always hate it, but I like the other two. Top Chef is more my style, but The Next Food Network Star is pretty interesting.

Great tidbit about Colombe, that is a bit shocking to me, I am going to go watch Rookie of the Year when I get home tonight.

PS: The other show that I record is Entourage, the only show that I enjoy all of the time.

This show is where I draw my reality tv line. Not sure the world needs another "Guy's Big Bite" or whatever.

If you noticed, Food Network change the concept this time. It looks like they stole most of it from Top Chef, pretty sad! Also, most the the people can't cook!

If you noticed, Food Network change the concept this time. It looks like they stole most of it from Top Chef, pretty sad! Also, most the the people can't cook!
What's different?

If it yields a "star" like Sandra Lee or RR is it really necessary?? Jesus, enough already. Id like that network to tackle real issues like why are people starving in this country or a focus shows on real, sustainable agriculture and farming. Not the fucking primp and fluff of tablescapes or the evermore irritating phrases like EVOO and yummo.

Rant over, sorry.

What's different?

Everything. The whole look of the show. Go back and look at the first two seasons.

If it yields a "star" like Sandra Lee or RR is it really necessary?? Jesus, enough already. Id like that network to tackle real issues like why are people starving in this country or a focus shows on real, sustainable agriculture and farming. Not the fucking primp and fluff of tablescapes or the evermore irritating phrases like EVOO and yummo.

Rant over, sorry.

None of the above is very entertaining and is too political for the network, but I understand where you are coming from.

None of the above is very entertaining and is too political for the network, but I understand where you are coming from.
I know, you are absolutely correct. But it wouldn't hurt to put a show on once a day dedicated to actual food education or awareness of issues that could positively impact peoples lives. Would it?

I know, you are absolutely correct. But it wouldn't hurt to put a show on once a day dedicated to actual food education or awareness of issues that could positively impact peoples lives. Would it?

Maybe something like what BBC did last year with Jamie Oliver. He took over on school in London, where the kids were eating processed foods, and starting using fresh foods. All within budget, no less.

We are enjoying the show as entertainment. The people (contestants, judges) are all engaging and seem not to be interested in that ridiculous drama that pervades most of these reality shows (OK, I admit it, I like SOME of the drama on Project Runway, but come on people, it is fashion - drama is a natural part of the fashion world). I think that the personalities have a lot to do with these shows being good entertainment, as much as the subject matter. Oddly enough, RR is a warm, engaging personality and she drives me up a wall. In fact, right this very minute, I'm hoping that the storm will knock out the power, as it is time for RR....

I would also rather that FN spend some of its airtime on healthy cooking and sustainability issues. (Memo to RR: saying that fried pork chops are healthy doesn't make it so). One of the reasons I love Alton Brown is that he gets into the origin and chemistry of food - though not quite enough, IMHO. He's like Harold McGee light. It would be great if they could bring that kind of approach to one or more cooking shows.

This program seems to have fewer of the stupid, gimmicky challenges that are so popular on other shows, like making a meal out of garbage.

Incidentally, if you read the bios on the website, it turns out that most of these people have much stronger cooking credentials than you would have guessed from watching the show.

Ellen

In a way, Mario Batali did a good deal of teaching about food on his prior show Molto Mario. He gave information about regional and seasonal foods in Italy, and cooked the dishes as they would be done there, not here. That was a fantastic show and I'm envious of all those who got to sit at his table.

In a way, Mario Batali did a good deal of teaching about food on his prior show Molto Mario. He gave information about regional and seasonal foods in Italy, and cooked the dishes as they would be done there, not here. That was a fantastic show and I'm envious of all those who got to sit at his table.
Yeah that was a great show. But shows like that do not exist on FN anymore. I quit watching it years ago for a lot of the same reasons I quit reading the Wine Spectator. Empty, shallow content with just enough to make it intersting, but in the end a total waste of time.

Has anybody seen "Manic Organic" on the Discovery Home Channel? http://home.discovery.com/tv-schedules/ser....115580.29949.x

I caught an episode yesterday, while I was ironing--it's the only time I watch tv during the day, not something I do very often. The host looks like Kramer on Seinfeld, but he is a real organic farmer who sells his produce to local chefs in Ontario, Canada. Each episode apparently is centered around specific vegetables that he grows--he brings up all kinds of issues regarding sustainable agriculture, the pitfalls of pesticide use, etc. and the episode ends up in the kitchen with a chef, where they use the ingredients to prepare a meal. He's cute and engaging. In yesterday's episode, he also rigged a cold smoker and smoked a side of salmon, which was used to make a smoked salmon timbale. The show's a bit of everything--and it's gently didactic enough to be simultaneously informative and entertaining, which is what Alton Brown aims for. Except Alton Brown isn't a farmer.

I would like to see Zora go on (and win!) this show rather than Top Chef -- then there would be someone worth watching on the Food Network. :P

(Applications must be submitted by 30 July. Don't dawdle! ;) )

I would like to see Zora go on (and win!) this show rather than Top Chef -- then there would be someone worth watching on the Food Network. :)

(Applications must be submitted by 30 July. Don't dawdle! ;) )

Your belief in me is really heartwarming. But I can hear the producers' selection committee already:

"We need to appeal more to younger viewers. She's got grey hair. Don't need another one. We've already got Paula Deen. "

"Chubby, fiftyish, Jewish. Don't need another one. We've already got Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa."

"Now, if she were thirty-five or under, drop dead gorgeous, thin as a rail but with a great rack, and has some cutesy shtick, we might take a look at her."

"Better yet, let's try to find a macho guy with a fauxhawk who cooks roadkill and chops everything with a machete--that'll get us the demographic we're looking for..."

:P

Your belief in me is really heartwarming. But I can hear the producers' selection committee already:

"We need to appeal more to younger viewers. She's got grey hair. Don't need another one. We've already got Paula Deen. "

"Chubby, fiftyish, Jewish. Don't need another one. We've already got Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa."

"Now, if she were thirty-five or under, drop dead gorgeous, thin as a rail but with a great rack, and has some cutesy shtick, we might take a look at her."

"Better yet, let's try to find a macho guy with a fauxhawk who cooks roadkill and chops everything with a machete--that'll get us the demographic we're looking for..."

:P

Look, a wonderbra, a crew cut with a bit of streaked color and some beet-and-cheese tats would satisfy your above concerns. Your good cooking would make for great TV, and we could all say "We knew her when...." Small price to pay ;)

;)

I thought Amy was the best of the bunch in this current season and, despite the fact that the judges commented negatively on how she used too many French terms and sounded too snobbish (or however you want to characterize it), she won. I was very surprised by her victory, despite the fact that she was the best or nearly the best in every challenge and well-rounded in her abilities. It really seemed like she wasn't what they wanted to sell; hence, her being eliminated and then reinstated only when Jag resigned. (Maybe that was all a pre-fixed gimmick. I have no idea. I also was surprised that it was really the viewer voting that made the selection. I have trouble believing that was the only thing, but, again, I don't know.)

Maybe if they see you, they'll realize that you have selling points they wouldn't have expected.

I say, go for it (if you want to).

ETA: You've already got a good theme to work with, in that you make meals with a vegetarian option most nights. You could show people how to accomodate different -vores in one meal.

All I know is this show sucks, and there is a serious lack of diversity on the Food Network. Jag blew it. Who in the hell lies about going to Afghanistan?

The only show that really has a real focus on food is Good Eats, other than that, its all about the "star". I don't even want to talk about Paula Dean and her sons. Both those shows are an embarrassment (see Paula Dean in Europe for examples), I am from the south and it almost seems like Paula Dean and her sons are putting on an act. The Food Network could do better, they have in the past (see Sarah Moulton and Mario, and even Emeril).

The Food Network could do better, they have in the past (see Sarah Moulton and Mario, and even Emeril).

In the past few years, Food Network has been phasing out new programs featuring restaurant chefs. Emeril and Bobby Flay are really the only ones left, though Bobby Flay's Smackdown show has more of a "reality" show competition format. Other than re-runs of Molto Mario, Iron Chef is now the only place one can see Mario Batali cook. Wolfgang Puck is gone, as are Gale Gand, Ming Tsai and Jacques Torres. Ace of Cakes is a cute show starring a professional pastry chef, Duff Goldman, but is more about the personalities at Charm City Cakes and the quirky cake designs they produce, than the sort of teaching-focused cooking demonstration shows that they specialized in, when the network began. The newer shows are usually hosted by people who are caterers, nutritionists, attractive homemakers who present shortcuts and quick dinner ideas, and outsize personalities who have a connection to the food industry. And contests and competitions, travel, and easy entertaining. It seems to work well for them. And as much as I loved the departed, hard-core cooking shows, I still watch FN more than any other channel (except Law and Order re-runs, of course).

Since y'all have gotten me thinking about it, the improvisational performer in me reared her spotlight-seeking head. I woke up this morning thinking that the chicken soup corollary applied here--you know the one: it might not help, but it couldn't hurt...

I started thinking about what my "shtick" would be. My natural inclination, as emerged in my blog, is to teach people how to do simple, yummy things from scratch--like ricotta cheese and wonton wrapper ravioli, gravlax, salsa, pickles and preserves, etc. So something like--"Simply From Scratch." Not stuff you do every day, but are satisfying, fun, delicious and impress the hell out of your friends and family.

I took a look at the application form that mktye linked to in her post. Bad news: they require a video submission. I don't own a video camera, let alone have the skill to edit an acceptable video proposal. And there's only a week left until the deadline. Oh, well. If there's a filmmaker out there who has the time and interest to help me give it a shot, PM me. I'll feed you well.

I was convinced that Rory was going to win. I think that the Food Network, recently, has focused much more on the star than the food, so I felt that Rory was a sure thing. But, I was pleasantly surprised when Amy won, her food seemed to be better and significantly more consistent from week to week. Good to see the better cook winning as opposed to the better "star."

I took a look at the application form that mktye linked to in her post. Bad news: they require a video submission. I don't own a video camera, let alone have the skill to edit an acceptable video proposal. And there's only a week left until the deadline. Oh, well. If there's a filmmaker out there who has the time and interest to help me give it a shot, PM me. I'll feed you well.

Two words: WHY NOT?

Is anyone out there that can help Zora?

Pretty funny post by Anthony Bourdain on Ruhlman's blog regarding the finale.

Some of the comments can be amusing (though mean-spirited) too. Samples:

"Rory's chest sure is getting noticed. I think the next FN show should be called Rory's Rack, where she does all her cooking with her breasts. It would be a runaway hit. "

"Damn, and with the proceeds, Rory could probably get those damned gums fixed, too... IT'S SO UNFAIR!!"

"Wait, did someone win??? Damn, must have missed it while I was waiting for Jag to make his move on Paul from the constant upper thigh massaging to a full on make-out session."

Two words: WHY NOT?

Is anyone out there that can help Zora?

I have a recipe to suggest. It will certainly get Zora noticed. Maybe not selected, but noticed for sure. This is a method of food preparation in the Arctic, practiced by the Yupit and other peoples in the western Arctic, and is apparently practiced in Greenland, too:

Take one seal. Eviscerate, leaving the skin intact. Apparently, they do this by removing the internal organs through the mouth. Catch a seabird. Stuff it into the seal skin. Do not remove anything from the bird. Leave the feathers, beak, skin, etc. Bury the entire thing and allow to ferment for a number of months. Dig up and serve. To Rachel Ray. Let's see if she can smile and say "yummy" with this in her mouth!

Ellen

To Rachel Ray. Let's see if she can smile and say "yummy" with this in her mouth!

nevermind, i can't even type it...