Next Food Network Star

DanCole42

Seeing as there's a post for Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef, I thought I'd check in to see if anyone was catching the Food Network's third reality competition foray.

Colombe (who looks like the love child of Jewel and Katherine Heigl) was a former child star. She played the titular character's love interest in Rookie of the Year, and the game saving goalie, Julie "The Cat" Gaffney, in Mighty Ducks 2 and 3. Quack quack quack! Flying V! Woo!

Looks to be an interesting crop this season.

While it is good that I am getting away from TV over the summer, I did notice that three of the four shows that I currently DVR are food related (Hell's Kitchen, Top Chef and The Next Food Network Star). I don't know why I watch Hell's Kitchen, I always hate it, but I like the other two. Top Chef is more my style, but The Next Food Network Star is pretty interesting.

Great tidbit about Colombe, that is a bit shocking to me, I am going to go watch Rookie of the Year when I get home tonight.

PS: The other show that I record is Entourage, the only show that I enjoy all of the time.

If it yields a "star" like Sandra Lee or RR is it really necessary?? Jesus, enough already. Id like that network to tackle real issues like why are people starving in this country or a focus shows on real, sustainable agriculture and farming. Not the fucking primp and fluff of tablescapes or the evermore irritating phrases like EVOO and yummo.

Rant over, sorry.

If it yields a "star" like Sandra Lee or RR is it really necessary?? Jesus, enough already. Id like that network to tackle real issues like why are people starving in this country or a focus shows on real, sustainable agriculture and farming. Not the fucking primp and fluff of tablescapes or the evermore irritating phrases like EVOO and yummo.

Rant over, sorry.

None of the above is very entertaining and is too political for the network, but I understand where you are coming from.

None of the above is very entertaining and is too political for the network, but I understand where you are coming from.
I know, you are absolutely correct. But it wouldn't hurt to put a show on once a day dedicated to actual food education or awareness of issues that could positively impact peoples lives. Would it?

I know, you are absolutely correct. But it wouldn't hurt to put a show on once a day dedicated to actual food education or awareness of issues that could positively impact peoples lives. Would it?

Maybe something like what BBC did last year with Jamie Oliver. He took over on school in London, where the kids were eating processed foods, and starting using fresh foods. All within budget, no less.

We are enjoying the show as entertainment. The people (contestants, judges) are all engaging and seem not to be interested in that ridiculous drama that pervades most of these reality shows (OK, I admit it, I like SOME of the drama on Project Runway, but come on people, it is fashion - drama is a natural part of the fashion world). I think that the personalities have a lot to do with these shows being good entertainment, as much as the subject matter. Oddly enough, RR is a warm, engaging personality and she drives me up a wall. In fact, right this very minute, I'm hoping that the storm will knock out the power, as it is time for RR....

I would also rather that FN spend some of its airtime on healthy cooking and sustainability issues. (Memo to RR: saying that fried pork chops are healthy doesn't make it so). One of the reasons I love Alton Brown is that he gets into the origin and chemistry of food - though not quite enough, IMHO. He's like Harold McGee light. It would be great if they could bring that kind of approach to one or more cooking shows.

This program seems to have fewer of the stupid, gimmicky challenges that are so popular on other shows, like making a meal out of garbage.

Incidentally, if you read the bios on the website, it turns out that most of these people have much stronger cooking credentials than you would have guessed from watching the show.

Ellen

In a way, Mario Batali did a good deal of teaching about food on his prior show Molto Mario. He gave information about regional and seasonal foods in Italy, and cooked the dishes as they would be done there, not here. That was a fantastic show and I'm envious of all those who got to sit at his table.

In a way, Mario Batali did a good deal of teaching about food on his prior show Molto Mario. He gave information about regional and seasonal foods in Italy, and cooked the dishes as they would be done there, not here. That was a fantastic show and I'm envious of all those who got to sit at his table.
Yeah that was a great show. But shows like that do not exist on FN anymore. I quit watching it years ago for a lot of the same reasons I quit reading the Wine Spectator. Empty, shallow content with just enough to make it intersting, but in the end a total waste of time.

Has anybody seen "Manic Organic" on the Discovery Home Channel? http://home.discovery.com/tv-schedules/ser....115580.29949.x

I caught an episode yesterday, while I was ironing--it's the only time I watch tv during the day, not something I do very often. The host looks like Kramer on Seinfeld, but he is a real organic farmer who sells his produce to local chefs in Ontario, Canada. Each episode apparently is centered around specific vegetables that he grows--he brings up all kinds of issues regarding sustainable agriculture, the pitfalls of pesticide use, etc. and the episode ends up in the kitchen with a chef, where they use the ingredients to prepare a meal. He's cute and engaging. In yesterday's episode, he also rigged a cold smoker and smoked a side of salmon, which was used to make a smoked salmon timbale. The show's a bit of everything--and it's gently didactic enough to be simultaneously informative and entertaining, which is what Alton Brown aims for. Except Alton Brown isn't a farmer.

I would like to see Zora go on (and win!) this show rather than Top Chef -- then there would be someone worth watching on the Food Network. :)

(Applications must be submitted by 30 July. Don't dawdle! ;) )

Your belief in me is really heartwarming. But I can hear the producers' selection committee already:

"We need to appeal more to younger viewers. She's got grey hair. Don't need another one. We've already got Paula Deen. "

"Chubby, fiftyish, Jewish. Don't need another one. We've already got Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa."

"Now, if she were thirty-five or under, drop dead gorgeous, thin as a rail but with a great rack, and has some cutesy shtick, we might take a look at her."

"Better yet, let's try to find a macho guy with a fauxhawk who cooks roadkill and chops everything with a machete--that'll get us the demographic we're looking for..."

:P

Your belief in me is really heartwarming. But I can hear the producers' selection committee already:

"We need to appeal more to younger viewers. She's got grey hair. Don't need another one. We've already got Paula Deen. "

"Chubby, fiftyish, Jewish. Don't need another one. We've already got Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa."

"Now, if she were thirty-five or under, drop dead gorgeous, thin as a rail but with a great rack, and has some cutesy shtick, we might take a look at her."

"Better yet, let's try to find a macho guy with a fauxhawk who cooks roadkill and chops everything with a machete--that'll get us the demographic we're looking for..."

:P

Look, a wonderbra, a crew cut with a bit of streaked color and some beet-and-cheese tats would satisfy your above concerns. Your good cooking would make for great TV, and we could all say "We knew her when...." Small price to pay ;)

;)

I thought Amy was the best of the bunch in this current season and, despite the fact that the judges commented negatively on how she used too many French terms and sounded too snobbish (or however you want to characterize it), she won. I was very surprised by her victory, despite the fact that she was the best or nearly the best in every challenge and well-rounded in her abilities. It really seemed like she wasn't what they wanted to sell; hence, her being eliminated and then reinstated only when Jag resigned. (Maybe that was all a pre-fixed gimmick. I have no idea. I also was surprised that it was really the viewer voting that made the selection. I have trouble believing that was the only thing, but, again, I don't know.)

Maybe if they see you, they'll realize that you have selling points they wouldn't have expected.

I say, go for it (if you want to).

ETA: You've already got a good theme to work with, in that you make meals with a vegetarian option most nights. You could show people how to accomodate different -vores in one meal.

All I know is this show sucks, and there is a serious lack of diversity on the Food Network. Jag blew it. Who in the hell lies about going to Afghanistan?

The only show that really has a real focus on food is Good Eats, other than that, its all about the "star". I don't even want to talk about Paula Dean and her sons. Both those shows are an embarrassment (see Paula Dean in Europe for examples), I am from the south and it almost seems like Paula Dean and her sons are putting on an act. The Food Network could do better, they have in the past (see Sarah Moulton and Mario, and even Emeril).

The Food Network could do better, they have in the past (see Sarah Moulton and Mario, and even Emeril).

In the past few years, Food Network has been phasing out new programs featuring restaurant chefs. Emeril and Bobby Flay are really the only ones left, though Bobby Flay's Smackdown show has more of a "reality" show competition format. Other than re-runs of Molto Mario, Iron Chef is now the only place one can see Mario Batali cook. Wolfgang Puck is gone, as are Gale Gand, Ming Tsai and Jacques Torres. Ace of Cakes is a cute show starring a professional pastry chef, Duff Goldman, but is more about the personalities at Charm City Cakes and the quirky cake designs they produce, than the sort of teaching-focused cooking demonstration shows that they specialized in, when the network began. The newer shows are usually hosted by people who are caterers, nutritionists, attractive homemakers who present shortcuts and quick dinner ideas, and outsize personalities who have a connection to the food industry. And contests and competitions, travel, and easy entertaining. It seems to work well for them. And as much as I loved the departed, hard-core cooking shows, I still watch FN more than any other channel (except Law and Order re-runs, of course).

Since y'all have gotten me thinking about it, the improvisational performer in me reared her spotlight-seeking head. I woke up this morning thinking that the chicken soup corollary applied here--you know the one: it might not help, but it couldn't hurt...

I started thinking about what my "shtick" would be. My natural inclination, as emerged in my blog, is to teach people how to do simple, yummy things from scratch--like ricotta cheese and wonton wrapper ravioli, gravlax, salsa, pickles and preserves, etc. So something like--"Simply From Scratch." Not stuff you do every day, but are satisfying, fun, delicious and impress the hell out of your friends and family.

I took a look at the application form that mktye linked to in her post. Bad news: they require a video submission. I don't own a video camera, let alone have the skill to edit an acceptable video proposal. And there's only a week left until the deadline. Oh, well. If there's a filmmaker out there who has the time and interest to help me give it a shot, PM me. I'll feed you well.

I was convinced that Rory was going to win. I think that the Food Network, recently, has focused much more on the star than the food, so I felt that Rory was a sure thing. But, I was pleasantly surprised when Amy won, her food seemed to be better and significantly more consistent from week to week. Good to see the better cook winning as opposed to the better "star."

I took a look at the application form that mktye linked to in her post. Bad news: they require a video submission. I don't own a video camera, let alone have the skill to edit an acceptable video proposal. And there's only a week left until the deadline. Oh, well. If there's a filmmaker out there who has the time and interest to help me give it a shot, PM me. I'll feed you well.

Two words: WHY NOT?

Is anyone out there that can help Zora?

Pretty funny post by Anthony Bourdain on Ruhlman's blog regarding the finale.

Some of the comments can be amusing (though mean-spirited) too. Samples:

"Rory's chest sure is getting noticed. I think the next FN show should be called Rory's Rack, where she does all her cooking with her breasts. It would be a runaway hit. "

"Damn, and with the proceeds, Rory could probably get those damned gums fixed, too... IT'S SO UNFAIR!!"

"Wait, did someone win??? Damn, must have missed it while I was waiting for Jag to make his move on Paul from the constant upper thigh massaging to a full on make-out session."

Two words: WHY NOT?

Is anyone out there that can help Zora?

I have a recipe to suggest. It will certainly get Zora noticed. Maybe not selected, but noticed for sure. This is a method of food preparation in the Arctic, practiced by the Yupit and other peoples in the western Arctic, and is apparently practiced in Greenland, too:

Take one seal. Eviscerate, leaving the skin intact. Apparently, they do this by removing the internal organs through the mouth. Catch a seabird. Stuff it into the seal skin. Do not remove anything from the bird. Leave the feathers, beak, skin, etc. Bury the entire thing and allow to ferment for a number of months. Dig up and serve. To Rachel Ray. Let's see if she can smile and say "yummy" with this in her mouth!

Ellen

Wasn't impressed with the winner, but I did like the beer can chicken recipe by Adam in the finale.

The judges chose Aaron in Las Vegas. Dragging them all back to NYC to tape a segment in RR's studio kitchen was just a sadistic dog and pony show.

I will say that I have not religiously watched this show this season, but I have seen enough episodes to be a bit shocked with the results. I felt that Aaron had the worst of the three pilots and I felt that, throughout the season, he was the one that consistently was worse than the other two finalists in most of the challenges, both cooking and television challenges. To me, it just seemed like they liked his story and he was going to win unless he TOTALLY screwed up.

But, it really doesn't matter, look what happened to last years winner, I never even saw a show with her on it.

Well, they also made sure that the disaster that happened last year did not take place this year by eliminating audience voting entirely this season. I guess they were none too thrilled when someone they eliminated earlier in the season ended up winning the overall contest. I think I saw her show once - only the obnoxious guy (and Guy) seems to have made it as a star. Of course, depending on your definition of the word star- I have to change the channel whenever I see him, even in awful commercials for chain restaurants.

They do seem to be looking for more people-of-color-type diversity with the newer talent they are bringing aboard. Other than popular holdouts from the past, Paula Deen and Ina Garten, there is no longer anyone on the network who looks older than 35. I figured Adam was toast when he went with the webcam idea--they already have a new personality, a drop-dead gorgeous young woman (is there any other kind on Food Network these days?) named Aida, whose new show promos promise to answer food questions and menu problems submitted via e-mail. Lisa was the most serious cook of all, and while she did have the slender good looks they now require of female talent, what she had to offer was more of the same: "fancy" food that is really fast and easy. YAWN.

My favorite tv food show these days is on WETA-Create--reruns of fat, mid-60-ish Lidia Bastianich's shows "Lidia's Family Kitchen" and "Lidia's Italy." Now there is someone who has something substantial to teach. She's a little bit of a diva, true, but she has earned it with major cooking creds. And you can tell that she really loves to eat. I can't stand watching skinny women oohing and aahing over food they've cooked, when I know that they take one bite for the camera and spend the rest of the day on a treadmill.

I figured Adam was toast when he went with the webcam idea--they already have a new personality, a drop-dead gorgeous young woman (is there any other kind on Food Network these days?) named Aida, whose new show promos promise to answer food questions and menu problems submitted via e-mail.
Wasn't this taped a while ago - Wonder if he got any credit or was the new e-mail show already in production?

My favorite tv food show these days is on WETA-Create--reruns of fat, mid-60-ish Lidia Bastianich's shows "Lidia's Family Kitchen" and "Lidia's Italy." Now there is someone who has something substantial to teach. She's a little bit of a diva, true, but she has earned it with major cooking creds. And you can tell that she really loves to eat. I can't stand watching skinny women oohing and aahing over food they've cooked, when I know that they take one bite for the camera and spend the rest of the day on a treadmill.
Amen - I just spent some very enjoyable hours watching Lidia this weekend! I started with a first course of Jacques Pepin who is also a pleasure to watch and - as my engineer-type +1 observed - is an amazing technician.

There is very little on Food Network that I am interested in watching any more.

I think that something fishy is going on here. Where the hell did this Aida lady come from? Until this new show was just mentioned here, I haven't heard anything about it. Did Adam come up with the idea and the Food Network decide, "Hey, that is a good idea, but instead of having this goofy guy do it, we will hire a hot chick!" Seems like something similar happened last season when it looked like Jag had locked up the win, but when he got bounced, they just hired the lady from Simply Delicioso and made a similar type of show highlighting Latin flavors.

When it comes down to it, the Food Network will always be in my rotation of channels that I flip to when I am surfing for something to watch. But, as the years have gone on, the number of times that I actually stop on the food channel has gone down. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Throwdown and Iron Chef America and a lot of the old school shows that they rarely rerun these days, but in general, I am not too happy with their content these days.

I think that something fishy is going on here. Where the hell did this Aida lady come from? Until this new show was just mentioned here, I haven't heard anything about it. Did Adam come up with the idea and the Food Network decide, "Hey, that is a good idea, but instead of having this goofy guy do it, we will hire a hot chick!" Seems like something similar happened last season when it looked like Jag had locked up the win, but when he got bounced, they just hired the lady from Simply Delicioso and made a similar type of show highlighting Latin flavors.

When it comes down to it, the Food Network will always be in my rotation of channels that I flip to when I am surfing for something to watch. But, as the years have gone on, the number of times that I actually stop on the food channel has gone down. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Throwdown and Iron Chef America and a lot of the old school shows that they rarely rerun these days, but in general, I am not too happy with their content these days.

Food Network doesn't really reveal the process by which they come up with ideas for shows or choose new talent. The Next Food Network Star is their high concept way to climb on the reality competition-elimination show bandwagon after Top Chef was a huge hit. It has never really been about how they get new shows. There really has been only one winner--Guy Fieri--who has endured as a personality. His first cooking show Guy's Big Bite wasn't very good, but they decided that he was a spontaneous, funny-cool shmoozer, so they sent him out in an incarnation of their many visiting-restaurants-out-in-the-hinterlands shows, eating and bantering with people. The gay male couple who were caterers have disappeared, as has the woman from last year -"The Gourmet Next Door". They decided they needed a latin flavors show, but Jag flunked out, so they found someone else. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a show based on Indian food, because they said as much to the Indian woman who was a contestant. She was a dud, but they'll find someone else young and pretty (and skinny) to do it.

I liked Adam's idea with the internet and do find it interesting that there's a new hot chick doing the exact same thing. Hmm. I thought his demo was fantastic with his humor and personality. I also wanted to see him win because he seemed to need salvation and validation after a failed restaurant venture and subsequently waiting tables (at Amada).

I feel that both Lisa and Adam were more prepared with original ideas to pitch to Gordon Ramsey. Lisa had 3, count'em 3 dioramas and Adam had a great name and unique idea. Aaron on the other hand sat down and told Gordon his show would be about herbs and spices and having fun cooking. Huh? No name, no niche concept. Although, I do feel that he seemed to turn on the energy when taping-in an over-the-top-slap-yo-mama-this-food-is-so-good kinda way.

The Next Food Network Star is their high concept way to climb on the reality competition-elimination show bandwagon after Top Chef was a huge hit.

Actually, The Next Food Network Star (TNFNS) debuted in 2005, Top Chef in 2006.

I've always felt Top Chef was a much better show, withe much better chefs and personalities, but TNFNS was not on the Top Chef bandwagon. More like the general, reality/competition show bandwagon.

I think I'm in love with Kelsey. She's a younger, hotter, blonder Rachael Ray. I was sad she was kicked out.

I would have liked to see Adam win, but that's just 'cause we both do improv.

My wife and I have a theory that Lisa is really an undercover assassin. Or a robot. Or more likely, both. She was crrrrrrrrrrrrazy. I DEFINITELY would have watched her show.

In previous seasons, the comments from the selection commitee were always about "find a connection with the audience by telling a story about how you cooked this with your grandma." This season, it seemed to be more, "show us your culinary expertise/authority." I wonder if maybe the network is moving to work on its image vis a vis some of the criticisms its gotten from the foodie community regarding not taking food seriously enough and relying too much on quick fixes and flashy stars/entertainment?

Lisa was sooo annoying...although something about her reminds me of Ensign Ro Laren. The haircut, that's it!!

I felt like Aaron was being shuffled through week after week. He'd flop, but they'd keep putting him through saying there was something more there and they wanted to wait for it. I still don't think he brought it at the finale...Adam was robbed.

Lisa was sooo annoying...although something about her reminds me of Ensign Ro Laren. The haircut, that's it!!
Boy does my inner anti-geek wish I hadn't gotten that reference. My even more inner uber-geek is thrilled, however.

She was annoying, but captivatingly so. Holy crap, how can she possibly top standing completely still and smiling at a live camera for 90 seconds???? Oh. Apparently by presenting her Vegas buffet through song. Who would have thought?

ROBOT!

THIS JUST IN...in case anyone is interested! :lol:

"The Food Network contacted us and wanted us to let you know they will be having an open casting call in Arlington, Virginia, Friday, October 3rd. Below is the information.

They are also holding open casting calls in other cities throughout October. Please check their website for details: www.foodnetwork.com."

(in an email from The Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show denisem@thetinykitchen.com)

Well, I couldn't get it together to do a video to submit, so I decided to show up for the open call today. And so did about 130 other people. I didn't get there until about 12 noon, because I spent the morning working on the two photos they wanted. When I arrived, I was #88 on the list. They had started at 10, and a lot of people who had arrived there at 9 a.m. were still waiting to be seen. They were only at about #22. The glacial pace continued as more people arrived and three people I know, who arrived when I did or just after, ended up bailing because they had late afternoon obligations. We were sitting in the Art Institute canteen, where there are vending machines, tables, chairs and couches. And a lot of people sat in the hall on folding chairs. A test of how well one tolerates stress and frustration, perhaps. At close to three, when it was supposed to be over, the two interviewers split up and started seeing people in two different rooms, and it began moving a bit faster. I went in for my interview at about 4:30. Good thing I didn't have anything else I had to do today. I ended up spending the bulk of the wait time chatting with a journalist named Julia Watson who has a local food site called EatWashington, and she is a bright, interesting, well-travelled person. She noted that she recognised Metrocurean's Amanda McClements sitting in the hallway. Lots of youngsters there with trendy haircuts, and few in my age bracket. My assessment of my chances: no better than an ice cube's in hell. But hey, it makes a good story to tell.

They must be having trouble finding their "showtype" - Just saw a commercial - Extended to November 14th to upload your video online.

Maybe they are looking for a 40 something single dad with no real training. - lol

THIS JUST IN...in case anyone is interested! :lol:

"The Food Network contacted us and wanted us to let you know they will be having an open casting call in Arlington, Virginia, Friday, October 3rd. Below is the information.

They are also holding open casting calls in other cities throughout October. Please check their website for details: www.foodnetwork.com."

(in an email from The Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show denisem@thetinykitchen.com)

I don't think that very many of the misfits that "won" the Next Food Network Star have made it onto the Food Network, but they are bringing back the guy from Dinner:Impossible. Ridiculous.

Click

That actually makes me happy :lol:. I thought he was very good on that show. It seemed a good match for him, even if some things on his resume weren't :) . I used to enjoy it and stopped watching after he left.

That actually makes me happy :lol:. I thought he was very good on that show. It seemed a good match for him, even if some things on his resume weren't :) . I used to enjoy it and stopped watching after he left.
The show wasn't awful...I saw one episode (the one shot on an island in Maine), only because we spend summers at the location and it was nice to see familiar faces. That said, I would like to see actual chefs like Chef Simon on the Food Network more often than not. That guy is too close to the caricatures that are Guy Fieri, Sandra Lee, and RR for me to stomach. :P

I find myself rooting for Teddy, just because. I assume the results are already in.

Wasn't it Adam Gertler last year who made the potato dish and didn't cook the potatoes through, same as Teddy did on ep 1? Seems to have worked out for him.

Does the world really need another FoodTV network star? Aren't there enough now? I personally find myself enthralled with the monkey sporting the platinum hair that visits the diners. He's like a cross between a train wreck and a flaming bag of dog shit on your doorstep. You can't decide whether to stare at it uncontrollably or stomp the hell out of it.